How is Q1 2022 for gaming in general so far?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Dear gamers in the Giant Bomb forums

It's the end of Q1 2022 (January to March) and now we're on Q2 2022 (April to June) so here are my dot points that I like and dislike:

What I like:

• iRacing Season 2 2022 gets six new cars and two new tracks
  • Gran Turismo 7 received a lot of good reviews (Despite the community's backlash)
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 and Xbox Series X are both pretty good ports
  • GRID Legends is a good looking arcade racer while it has Project Gotham Racing vibes
  • F-Zero X comes to Nintendo Switch Online
  • G-Darius HD comes to PC with additional content
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes gets announced
  • Horizon Forbidden West received good reviews
  • Nintendo Switch Sports gets announced
  • Pokemon Legends: Arceus received tons of good reviews and it's a recommended RPG for the diehard fans of Pokemon
  • Elden Ring received a lot of good reviews
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land is a fun platformer and received good reviews

What I dislike:

• Gran Turismo 7 has way too many microtransactions
  • E3 2022 has been cancelled
  • Hot Wheels Infinite Loop's servers ended on January 31st, 2022
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel is delayed to 2023
  • BlazBlue Alternative: Dark War's service ended on January 31st, 2022 and never got localized to the west at all.
  • Chocobo GP gets mixed reviews and received backlashes from its community
youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My 2022 in gaming so far:

1. Finished Guardian's of the Galaxy in January

2.Bought Elden Ring, couldn't get into it

3.Modded my Wii U, used it to play Mario Kart Double Dash. Best gaming decision I've made in a while.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy in 7 minutes 38 seconds.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gtxforza

@cikame: Pretty good to hear!

@youeightit: Nice, for Mario Kart Double Dash, I heard a lot of gamers wanted a remaster or sequel, but we'll also see what will Mario Kart 9 looks like when the first trailer shows up.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By brian_

Not I whole lot going on for me so far. The only game I've finished so far is Nobody Saves the World. The rest of the time has been spent putting hundreds of hours into Cyberpunk and Elden Ring and getting burnt out putting hundreds of hours into Cyberpunk and Elden Ring, causing me to not play any video games for weeklong periods. Also put some time into Tunic, and a couple of mobile games in Yu-gi-oh Duel Masters and NJPW Strong Spirits before getting tired of the chore-like process of playing daily mobile games.

But a lot of the stuff I'm more interested in just came out within the last week, and now I'm starting to make my way towards that. Princess Farmer and FixFox just came out yesterday. I've been meaning to check out A Memoir Blue on Game Pass. I think I'm probably going to wait for Ghostwire Tokyo to go on sale before I check that out. I would say I'd like to wait for a sale for Kirby, but it's a Nintendo game, so it's never going on sale, which probably means I just won't play it. Rune Factory 5 came out, which I'm potential curious about. So yeah, plenty of stuff for me to look into there.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_ said:

Not I whole lot going on for me so far. The only game I've finished so far is Nobody Saves the World. The rest of the time has been spent putting hundreds of hours into Cyberpunk and Elden Ring and getting burnt out putting hundreds of hours into Cyberpunk and Elden Ring, causing me to not play any video games for weeklong periods. Also put some time into Tunic, and a couple of mobile games in Yu-gi-oh Duel Masters and NJPW Strong Spirits before getting tired of the chore-like process of playing daily mobile games.

But a lot of the stuff I'm more interested in just came out within the last week, and now I'm starting to make my way towards that. Princess Farmer and FixFox just came out yesterday. I've been meaning to check out A Memoir Blue on Game Pass. I think I'm probably going to wait for Ghostwire Tokyo to go on sale before I check that out. I would say I'd like to wait for a sale for Kirby, but it's a Nintendo game, so it's never going on sale, which probably means I just won't play it. Rune Factory 5 came out, which I'm potential curious about. So yeah, plenty of stuff for me to look into there.

That's pretty interesting and I hope you will enjoy more and more games by this year.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, too, played and finished Guardians of the Galaxy in March.

I also have been playing Cyberpunk 2077 since the current gen update came out. I will probably be playing this game well in to Q2.

I have kept up on seasons in FH5 since launch.

Holding off on GT7 until they fix the economy.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gtxforza
@wardcleaver said:

I, too, played and finished Guardians of the Galaxy in March.

I also have been playing Cyberpunk 2077 since the current gen update came out. I will probably be playing this game well in to Q2.

I have kept up on seasons in FH5 since launch.

Holding off on GT7 until they fix the economy.

Yeah GT7 needs a lot of fixes and I still believe that Polyphony Digital is still on its way so we're staying tuned.

Oh not long ago, I've played a little bit of Forza Horizon 5, it's a fun game as it reminds me of the Test Drive Unlimited series.

Edit: I hope Forza Motorsport Reboot won't end up like GT7 in terms of launch.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The only game I was excited for in Q1 (Weird West) is exactly what I was hoping for, so the quarter batted a thousand for me.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's been pretty stellar for me. I've had my high highs and low lows with Elden Ring and I'm really doubtful I'll finish the game at this point, but those highs were super awesome and the lows were more of a "I'm just not enough of a gamer for this game" vibe than actually disliking what was going on.

Meanwhile, Horizon Forbidden West did everything I wanted from a Horizon sequel gameplay wise (a few questionable decisions were made, but nothing immense) and delivered a truly bonkers narrative that might've failed in its tentpole moments but shined awesomely bright in many, many, many small character moments. Much like the previous game, it's a pre-emptive game of the year candidate that nobody else wants to talk about anymore because of another game, but unlike 2017 I can say I've played both and I'm not just running blind here - it's true!

Elsewhere, Gran Turismo 7 has had a dismal launch for the lifers and car obsessives out there but a pretty enjoyable one for the casuals who never expected to have every car they ever wanted after a month (this Reddit thread is a great example of the split) and as I fall in the latter camp, I can say I've nearly played more hours of Gran Turismo 7 than Elden Ring at this point and I'm really enjoying it. The endgame is far from perfect but it's also hard to judge how much I care considering A) most days, I just want to log in and run some races for a half hour so I can get my roulette ticket and move on and B) trying to win the Ferrari race in Barcelona with the GTB '75 was more engaging, white knuckle and relatable than any one boss in Elden Ring and will likely be one of my most memorably successes of 2022.

In cleanup mode, it was nice to see Cyberpunk 2077 functioning and functioning well on a PS5 after the exceptional performance of the PS4 version at launch, and I'm excited to eventually see this game come to PS+ in a year or two (The Witcher 3 was once a PS+ game and CDPR is still in PR mode IMO) so I can experience it fully. Likewise, I beat Returnal twice and only fell off my third and final completion due to other games, and the expansion looks great. I replayed Zero Dawn in preparation for Forbidden West and, while a little rougher around the edges than it seemed my second go around in 2019, it's still that combat so it starts at perfect and goes from there.

I beat Yakuza 3 and 4, and have so far gotten into the second arc of Yakuza 5. I'm not finding this section of the franchise nearly as fun as I did Zero through Kiwami 2, but moment to moment it's still quite charming and a nice, low stakes hang. The Matrix Awakens was a wild thing to see on my TV, it turns out GTA V is still a really, really good video game (and while I've come around to seeing the benefits of 60 fps, proves that I'll still always prefer "realistic" looking games running at 30 fps so they look more like cinema than soap opera) and now MLB The Show 22 is out and my life will settle into its usual routine of no-lifing Diamond Dynasty for 12 hours straight on every day off and slagging off bars and general social activities in favor of binging podcasts and TV shows while I slap doubles into the gap in pursuit of my favorite legends of the game...just like last year...and the year before...and the year before...

Call me McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I got back into Pokemon.

...That's about it.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Infernax is fantastic.

Kraken Academy!! also fantastic.

Both on game pass, go play them!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

A lot of great games that aren't really for me.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Pretty good so far. Elden Ring mostly lived up to the hype, and Tunic was a pleasant surprise. I haven't gotten to the new Horizon: Forbidden West yet, but I pretty sure I will like it when I do. I played the demo for the new Kirby game, and it's a pretty decent one. You play enough to get a good feel of the game and it's surroundings. I'll likely play it later this year, making it my first official Kirby game. The new Destiny DLC is getting good critic feedback as the best one they've done yet, even Jeff G likes it. And since I've played the other DLC story expansion, I will play this one as well in the future.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Things I liked:

• Tunic was pretty good. I think I will never play it to 100% completion, but I enjoyed my time with it.
  • Lost Ark was cool. I never played much of an MMORPG, and this was a decent time-sinking distraction.
  • I completed Ace Attorney Chronicles. Great game from last year, with endearing characters and a very good story that unravels in the course of two games.

Things I didn't like:

• This year I bought two new games, and neither worked: Guardians of the Galaxy and Elder Ring. Luckily, I have no problem with refunds, but it is still a sore reminder that PC gaming is a hobby that requires constant vigilance to specs and sometimes games just don't work.