How long do your general gaming sessions tend to last?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey gang,

I've been wondering lately- how long do you guys generally tend to last when you're playing games?

When I was a younger mam, I tended to go for 5-6 hours at a time. Nowadays I tend to last between 60-90 minutes per session. It's not that I dislike what I'm playing, infact I'm having a blast playing games lately, but I can't seem to last very long while I'm actually playing them. I don't know what it is either. The constant desire to read and watch stuff probably. I tend to spend much more of my day on Youtube/4chan than actually playing games.

Every now and then, there'll be an exception, like Persona 5. I was doing 10 hour sessions on that game, easily. I'm expecting to do quite long sessions on Ni No Kuni 2 when that comes out, but who knows.

What about you team? Do you tend to put in long, extended sessions, or multiple shorter sessions?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1 - 2 hours most of the time.

Any longer than that and I start to feel guilty, even if I have nothing better to do. I've tried to counteract that by going to the gym and doing other chores in the morning on the weekends so I can "earn" the ability to play for 3+ hours without feeling like a savage.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It depends on what I'm playing. I can usually only go for an hour or so when playing an online shooter, but will easily sink 3-4 hours into something like Stellaris.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Normally, maybe 3 hours? I'll go longer if I have the time and the game is really grabbing me. With Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild, I would play until I should have gone to bed several hours ago. I tend to only sit down and play games once a day at most.

@sombre said:

I don't know what it is either. The constant desire to read and watch stuff probably. I tend to spend much more of my day on Youtube/4chan than actually playing games.

This year, I'm thinking of trying to just listen to the Bombcast/Beastcast than try to follow along with any video content. There's only so much time in the day, and I want to play more games instead of just watch videos where other people are having a good time with them.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As a kid, they’d go on forever.

As an adult, 1-2 hours alone. Sometimes, and this is exceptionally rare, if something super fun comes along, I can stay up and play upwards of 6 or so hours with a friend. Usually, co-op stuff runs 2-3 hours, though.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If I can carve out the time then I'd love to go for 4+ hours but most of the time I end up doing something between 1-3. Not so much a lack of desire to play more as I tend to just have other commitments to get to. I did totally dump solid 6+ hour sessions into P5 though because I happened to have a bunch of free time around when it came out.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

I used to be able to go crazy and play like 4-8 hours at a time. Anymore between home and work life I'll maybe be able to fit in 1-2 hours at a time. Maybe 3-4 if it's a weekend where I'm home alone for a part of the day. It's not because I get bored of playing or distracted, but I just have so much going on that I don't want to neglect for more than a couple hours at a time. Shutting myself in and playing games all weekend is fun, but eventually it just became less feasible for me.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Usually? Id say anywhere between 30-90 mins. I can go for 2-4 hours quite easily if the Mrs and kids are out of the house/in bed and I don't have to get up early.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually play for 4 hours before going to bed each night. Though some nights it's hard to play for more than an hour because I'm so tired I'm struggling to even keep my eyes open.

At weekends I might play for 6-8 hours if I'm really hooked on a game.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Monday to Friday probably 2 hours a day. Weekend allows for longer sessions so probably 4-5 hours sessions, or split into 2x2 hours on Saturday and Sunday (around 10 hours total on weekend) if I have no other plans of course. I'm a university student so I have lots of other tasks but still have decent amount of time for gaming. The sessions are shorter than when I was younger, but it's due to lack of time and other activities, not because of my age. If I had nothing at all to do then I guarantee I'd be able to have an 8 hour session or an all nighter.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By glots

These days probably 1-2 hours most of the time. If some game really manages to grab my attention, then it might jump up to 3-4 hours. But during the past few years I've tried to hold back even on the good games and play them in short bursts, so that they'd last me longer.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dstopia

Same here as with most people, I used to play for very long hours. As a kid, for some reason, I played like that was the last time I'd ever be able to touch a video game ever. Eventually I got over that -- I feel being an adult not only got me enough responsibilities that carving out 4 hours of my time is hard as it stands, but also the feeling that the games are there and will continue to be there for me whenever I want. Recently, I only get the need to play for more hours if I want to be in the zeitgeist for a specific game -- like Monster Hunter, to give a close example.

I also don't think I'll ever pull an all-nighter ever again. Even if I could do it, the idea sounds so quaint nowadays. What is even the point of staying up all night? If I have that much time, why not just sleep like normal and then play the following day?

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 14

about 20 minutes

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Qrowdyy

I think I average around 2-3 hours. If I go past 5 I actually start enjoying the game less.

It was something I wasn't self aware enough to notice when I was younger. I realize now that the quality of time spent is more important than the quantity.

EMPRPNGN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will usually play for 1-2 hours at a time, a few times a week. Maybe 4-6 hours on a weekend, if it's something I'm really into or trying to get through.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Depends what we are talking about. Most games between one to two hours. Games that are in my top 10 of all time, I can play for 12 hours straight, only with short eating breaks in between. Depends how much time I have. For example, I came home from work at 1100 or so today and played Dark Souls II until 0100.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

2-3 hours, but I tend to prepare before sitting down for that long of a period.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Since I found Giant Bomb and started watching Quick Looks, I've felt like once I get to around an hour in a session, I start to think "Okay, that's enough for now." There's the occasional game I play at length for as long as I feel like, but I have so much I could be doing that I don't tend to stick with any single game for very long.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As man others have said, as a kid/teenager I could go all day on a regular basis. I still *could* do that with the right game but even that "all day" really probably means an 8 hour session at most. And that's a rarity a couple times a year.

Now that I am 30, through my daily life, work, routines, gym etc I usually play in about 1-2 hour stints. Certain games (such as XCOM2) I can put in longer stints *if* I have the time (which is always the hard part) but others such as Overwatch usually an 1-2 hours is what I go for.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play around 2-4 hours each weekday. Weekends are another story. A friend and I played Monster Hunter World for 15 hours on a Saturday.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

It depends on what I'm playing (my interest level in it), and if I have to do something or want to do something else. I can play a game for around ten hours sometimes (albeit with breaks in between), and other times I can only play for about thirty minutes to an hour. Games are important to me and I like playing them for as long as I can when I can, but I also have to do other things whether it's a necessity or not. I guess the amount I would typically play for would be anywhere between one to four hours, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really varies, anywhere from 30 minutes to 12+ hours (lazy winter weekend days). It helps that I work from home, meaning no commute; so after work I'll usually play for 1-2 hours to decompress before getting to whatever errands/chores I need to take care of. But sometimes I don't have anything I need to do, and I don't have anything I want to read, so I'll just play all evening (albeit with a couple short breaks).

I probably do play too much still, but I just don't have a ton of responsibilities most times. And my girlfriend likes video games as much as me, so we can easily just play a game all evening sitting on the couch and it's really satisfying together time (we're 80 hours into DOS:II and almost at the end of Act II).

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sombre

@tesla said:

1 - 2 hours most of the time.

Any longer than that and I start to feel guilty, even if I have nothing better to do

I have never identified with a post more. Summing it up as feeling "guilty" perfectly encaspulates how I feel about weekday gaming. I just waste the time on youtube anyway, even though I wish I could commit to gaming

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1-2 hours unless I’ve got a bunch of free time. It seems I’m with the majority on this one which kinda surprises me.