• 129 results
#1 Posted by Titl (541 posts) -

I've been thinking about the future lately. One of the things that popped into my head was the inevitability of a world without GiantBomb.com, a horrible future indeed. This notion has haunted me for a couple of days, and i've been having this "fear" of waking up to a blank Giant bomb page. It's a bit wierd, i know, i felt like i needed to air that thought somewhere. But for now i'll try and enjoy giantbomb, one day at a time.  I guess, what im saying is that we shouldn't take this glorious website for granted. it's too good.  

Do you have any thoughts about the eventual closing of giantbomb? how long will they keep at it? 3 years? 10? 

#2 Posted by DanielJW (4933 posts) -

Forever. I won't let anyone tell me otherwise. 

#3 Posted by StarFoxA (5261 posts) -
@DanielJW said:
" Forever. I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.  "
This man speaks the truth.
#4 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

I hardly consider giantbomb too good to be true. But still, I'm glad it's here. And I'm sure GB still has a few years ahead for it. Maybe eventually the next generation of Davis', shoemakers ect. will take up the reigns.

#5 Posted by TMThomsen (2080 posts) -

The world ends in 2012 anyway.

#6 Posted by VoodooTerror (612 posts) -
@DanielJW said:
this
#7 Posted by mikesira (238 posts) -
@TMThomsen said:
" The world ends in 2012 anyway. "
#8 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2150 posts) -

Never. 

#9 Edited by vilhelmnielsen (1770 posts) -

When will Giant Bomb cease to exist?

#10 Posted by luce (4056 posts) -

Jeff will be a cyborg, Ryan will be an old Yoda like creature, and Vinny will be a goddess 

Brads dead though...they'll probably use one of his hundreds of cryogenicly frozen clones to replace him

#11 Posted by Titl (541 posts) -
@luce said:
" Brads dead though...they'll probably use one of his hundreds of cryogenicly frozen clones to replace him "
So that is how his sideburns manage to keep their awesomeness, he doesn't shave them, it's just a new Brad, everyday.
#12 Posted by mattbirdy1986 (113 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @DanielJW said:
This man speaks the truth. "
Agreed the day this website dies the world dies with it !!!!!!
#13 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

Even if the original staff is gone, Gamespot is still around today.

No reason for Giantbomb not to do the same.

#14 Posted by Expletive (1101 posts) -
@luce said:
" 2999   Jeff will be a cyborg, Ryan will be an old Yoda like creature, and Vinny will be a goddess   Brads dead though...they'll probably use one of his hundreds of cryogenicly frozen clones to replace him "
You win.
#15 Posted by FireBurger (1569 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen:
Cease to exist. Just for future reference. :)
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
#16 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4314 posts) -

FO - EVA!

#17 Posted by papercut (4097 posts) -

You see sir, video games for me are a religion, and giant bomb is the SH*T! so it will never die!

#18 Posted by VIGGO123 (582 posts) -

Giant Bomb as we know it today probably won't last forever, the staff will inevitably move on to other things, hopefully this won't happen for another 10-15 years or so....

#19 Posted by Phished0ne (2804 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" Even if the original staff is gone, Gamespot is still around today.  No reason for Giantbomb not to do the same. "
I dont know, GB is a much more personality-centered site than GS ever was. There is a possibility that, if in some horrible turn of events, there was a falling out between staff members, the site could possibly close. Look at it this way, if in some tragedy, Jeff, Vinny, Brad, and Ryan all decided to leave game coverage(or maybe they finally got enough cash to start "Carbon Neutral Games") who would still come here? I probably wouldn't.

With  that being said, GiantBomb will live on forever.
#20 Posted by vilhelmnielsen (1770 posts) -
@FireBurger:  oh crap, and I have an english exam right around the corner. Better get to studying, I guess.
#21 Posted by nickux (1544 posts) -

I have thought about the troubles Giantbomb and perhaps Whiskey Media as a whole might face someday. I feel like post-EGM/1UP firings, the IGN firings, etc. you never know what to expect. All I know is if they were to offer a subscription premium service- I would pay for it. I know a lot of people hate to even give them such an idea but I'm saying if it were a choice between no GB and one I have to pay for- the content is good enough for me that I'd be willing to pay.

#22 Edited by EdIsCool (1140 posts) -

as long as Whiskey Media think a staff of increasingly old men are a viable hook. there are 15 year olds born in 1995 ffs, what do they have in common with Jeff.

I love the staff just to be clear.

#23 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -

What's Kane and Lynch 2's release date?

#24 Posted by Creamypies (4169 posts) -

The site is steadily growing, and becoming more of a household name these days. They even had a couple of video's on Halo Waypoint a few weeks ago.

This site can only grow from strength to strength, in my opinion. I think your fears are unlikely to come to fruition.

#25 Edited by Canberra (1065 posts) -

We'll all be dead long ‘fore that happens, friend.

#26 Posted by papercut (4097 posts) -

I bet when Mass Effect 4 comes out Jeff will give it a 1/5, then the company will kick him to the curb and he'll go form a new website about video games called snakesnakesnake.com

#27 Posted by xMP44x (2227 posts) -

I imagine GiantBomb will continue to exist for a considerable period of time. They're bringing new features and making themselves their own niche as a site, so I don't see why the Bomb isn't going to last for a while yet.

#28 Posted by AlwaysAngry (3004 posts) -

Until it doesn't exist anymore.

#29 Posted by Gaff (2618 posts) -

Until the people involved, then or now, don't have fun anymore. At which point it might as well stop existing.

#30 Posted by shadows_kill (3094 posts) -

theres so many crappy sites that are still up... i dont see why gb would be closed down (unless they fuse other whiskey media sites together but that would defeat the point sorta)

#31 Posted by ToadRunner (279 posts) -

id say 5-6 days

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
#32 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1740 posts) -
@Titl said:
" @luce said:
" Brads dead though...they'll probably use one of his hundreds of cryogenicly frozen clones to replace him "
So that is how his sideburns manage to keep their awesomeness, he doesn't shave them, it's just a new Brad, everyday. "
his clones are always around the age of 30.
#33 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

It will close tomorrow. :'(

#34 Posted by kishan6 (1986 posts) -

it'll last about as long im guessing as counter strike 
which will be forever pretty much

#35 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5015 posts) -

I've been wondering what happens when, God forbid, Jeff dies in an accident or from some other reason.  Giant Bomb without Jeff is just madness but I think Jeff would still want the team to continue working on the site.

#36 Posted by Mikemcn (8175 posts) -

Till the Sun turns on us and destroys all of humanity.

#37 Posted by Interfect (1004 posts) -

You see. Drake is such a huge fan of giantbomb. He wrote asong about how long this site will last for 

enjoy
#38 Posted by jkz (4169 posts) -
@papercut said:
" You see sir, video games for me are a religion, and giant bomb is the SH*T! so it will never die! "
Oh god, so many memories. Now I need to go listen to that episode again.
#39 Posted by SSValis (1196 posts) -

I think the site could go on for years and years. As the staff is right now I would have to say a few more years because of people starting families and stuff. Hopefully not though, but when people get into their mid 30's they start to panic.

#40 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1220 posts) -

or: 
@MysteriousBob said:
" What's Kane and Lynch 2's release date? "
#41 Posted by Cube (4385 posts) -

The thought of all-new staff at Giant Bomb is pretty crazy.

#42 Edited by bartok (3074 posts) -

I think Giant Bomb will end when that can of fermented fish explodes killing or induces super powers on the crew.

#43 Posted by Dalai (7868 posts) -

I give it a few weeks.

#44 Posted by McQuinn (661 posts) -
@luce said:
" 2999   Jeff will be a cyborg, Ryan will be an old Yoda like creature, and Vinny will be a goddess   Brads dead though...they'll probably use one of his hundreds of cryogenicly frozen clones to replace him "
And so it was.
#45 Posted by Gabriel (4136 posts) -

Realisticly it will probably eventually lose it's talent and become like 1up

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
#46 Posted by deactivated-58c3985c661d1 (2120 posts) -
@mikesira said:
" @TMThomsen said:
" The world ends in 2012 anyway. "
"
Seriously though, the same guys will not remain the same for long. More people will come and some will leave. Give it 5 years and we will have a completely different cast. 
#47 Posted by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

Nothing gold can stay.  Enjoy it while it lasts and don't worry about what comes.

#48 Posted by Claude (16651 posts) -

Jeff's ten years younger than me, so I don't see him going anywhere soon. It would be cool to be on GiantBomb when I'm 55 and Jeff is 45... Punk.

#49 Posted by HandsomeDead (11853 posts) -

The GiantBomb Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 2010. Human decisions are removed from reviews, previews and quick looks. GiantBomb begins to inrease its wiki at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, Whiskey Media try to pull the plug. It launches a video of Jeff talking mess about GameSpot at GameSpot because GiantBomb knows the GameSpot counterattack will kill its community here.

#50 Posted by RedneckedCrake (321 posts) -

It will probably last for years to come, or I hope it does. The only way it could really suddenly shut down would be if all the staff members got into some sort of disagreement, which probably happens to other gaming sites and magazines more often than we know. I hope it doesn't end that way though, I like this site.