How many different genres do you all play?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How many different genres do you all play? (120 votes)

Anything that looks interesting; my tastes are unbounded, GIVE ME ALL OF IT. 30%
Most of them, but [x] never quite hooked me. 34%
A decent amount, but I'm uninterested in about as many. 17%
I bounce between a few; a lot of them never grabbed me. 14%
A couple, but it takes a lot to get me to dabble. 2%
I only play [x], but make the most of it. 1%
It depends. I don't go out of my way to jump into other genres at all, but if something catches my eye now and then I'll play it. 3%

I have a theory that most people who use forums like GB will dip into just about anything game-wise, but let's see what the data tells us!

• 
Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Growing up renting games meant i could try everything but now with that less of an option and $60 on the line for new games i tend to stay with stuff i know i’ll enjoy.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I used to be much more diverse in my game tastes, but I'm now much more rigid in playing games in my favourite genres, and I've fallen off a bunch of genres over the years. I used to rate western RPGs as my favourite genres, but at this point there are so many modern classics in the genre that I haven't gotten round to playing - including Witcher 3, the Divinity Original Sin games, Pillars of Eternity, etc. - that I can't call myself a massive RPG fan. I would now say my favourite genre is strategy.

I have zero interest in any genre that is inherently competitive. I have never, and will never, play a MOBA, or get into competitive fighting games, or battle royale, or any of that kind of stuff.

NexivSelecaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Basically anything but sports due to NBA Street no longer being a thing, and point-and-click adventure games.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Most of them I think, Crusader Kings being among the few RTS I play.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The only genres I avoid altogether are fighting games and competitive shooters.

Most of the time I look for RPGs, puzzle games, platformers, and adventure games.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing games in the 80s, for the most part, I felt that genres were more easily defined - these days, there is so much more blurring of the boundaries it's harder to have overall genres that don't click entirely me. Typically I would say I like open world games, but more recently there are a lot more elements of that genre, particularly the huge sizes and collectathon nature that really don't click with me but I tend to think of these as issues with the individual games rather than the genre itself. If there was one genre I generally don't touch these days though it's fighting games, mostly due to a lack of same couch players to play and learn them with. I just live through that genre vicariously through Ranking of Fighters now.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genre wise I probably give anything a shot these days, but I also feel like @stantongrouse mentioned that genres used to be a lot more easily defined. Which has probably helped me try genres I otherwise wouldn't, because they have some aspect of a genre I am more familiar with or a fun feature of a differen genre that makes some specific genre more interesting. To be honest, I am not even sure genre is the main source of me deciding to play a game anymore.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play competitive shooters or sports games these days but everything else is on the table. Definitely favour RPGs and story heavy games but generally a genre can't turn me off from a game that looks fun. A great puzzle game is a rare treat.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll seek out new things if i hear someone champion it. the only genre (that i can think of) that i wouldn't engage on my own is your annual sports- although i do have fond memorials of couch competitive NHL sessions and FIFA. i just don't find the single player engaging, but maybe i should give them another shot.

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Struggers

For me there are genres that just don't interest me; sports games, racing games, fighting games and FPS (Especially online multiplayers).

The rest I am happy to play. Its more things I don't like than ones I do.

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 yyninja  Online

I'll try almost anything, action games, puzzlers even visual novels if they come highly recommended.

The only games that don't appeal to me are fighting games, sports games (I did play a ton of FIFA for like 2 years though) and racing games. I used to love playing competitive multiplayer games like League but stopped when I reached my college years. I would rather spend my time with narrative experiences rather than playing the same map for hundreds of hours.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Nodima  Online

Mostly third person, story heavy action games like GTA, inFamous, Uncharted and the like. I do sprinkle in liberal doses of other genres, though, but usually in super sparse increments. I really enjoy puzzle/adventure games but often haven't finished them in adulthood; I think the last credits sequence I saw in that genre was for Valiant Hearts?

Likewise, I dabble in FPS games super infrequently as I've never truly enjoyed the perspective compared to 3rd person, and I play on consoles, so my experiences vary wildly. I felt both Wolfenstein games would have been close to unplayable without the story to carry me along, for example. I felt DOOM 2016 was a modern masterpiece and DOOM Eternal was an uninstallable mess. I really enjoyed my time with Modern Warfare Remastered when it was a PS+ offering, but it was hard to tell how much of that was nostalgia for the experience of having a game at Medal of Honor: Allied Assault quality on a console. I've hit Battle Pass level 100 in Season 2 of Apex Legends but fallen off in the 30s-60s through the rest of the seasons. It's just too stressful and I almost never play competitive FPS anyway.

Fighting games are a genre I always want to like but I find the field so daunting, I don't have any local gaming friends, and I actually find most of the non-core fighters to have pretty unappealing rosters. Street Fighter IV was the last one I had a truly memorable time with, but I'm always down for a Netherrealm experience once they hit half-off since I'll play the story mode then drop it.

Sports is my most played genre, just as it was in my youth, yet I only play MLB The Show anymore.

JRPGs used to be my second-most played genre, but I just don't feel the pull anymore, even highly acclaimed games like Persona. The time investment just feels daunting to me; Yakuza Kiwami probably doesn't count, but its brevity makes it the first Japanese RPG of any variety I'd finished since...Final Fantasy XII? Ah, Final Fantasy VII Remake! How could I forget you?

Driving games happen for me once or twice a generation; I was really, really into GRID for some reason on PS3, I think that was also a PS+ game? I don't think I've owned one for PS4 yet and at this point probably won't.

I love character action games but for some reason I'm always waiting for a better deal; the Ratchet & Clank soft reboot was one of my favorite games this generation, honestly, and I really want to replay the Jak & Daxter series while I'm in a Naughty Dog kind of mood this summer, but for some reason with the full bundle at just over $20 I still wonder to myself if it'll be cheaper closer to the holidays...

The only phone games I've kept installed are 2048/Threes, Wordscapes and Florence. Stuff like Bejeweled was always a PC/web game to me, and I'm not enthusiastic about having such eminently playable games like that at my fingertips whenever I want.

All in all, I play about 10 full games per year, and they tend to be heavily skewed towards Sony exclusive titles and third party options that emulate them (ie. Tomb Raider) with a few dabbles into highly reviewed games from genres I dip in and out of (ie. Sekiro, The Witness, Bloodborne, Dead Cells, Banner Saga, Celeste) and cross my fingers I can dig in.

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#14 finaldasa  Moderator

I make an attempt to try and play games I normally wouldn't.

In my experience when I thought a genre wasn't for me I'd end up finding a game that made me understand the genre in a different way. Wouldn't always keep me in the genre but it would help me understand it better.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fewer than I used to. For a while there I tried just about everything that reviewed well that I could afford, but as my time to game has become increasingly constrained and I've gotten older, my tastes have calcified quite a bit and I tend to only invest my money and time in genres I already know I'll probably like.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like a big variety of games - fighters, character action, RPGs, adventure games, the occasional shooter, rythm games, puzzle games... But I still took the middle option because I have no interest in building games, minecraft, dungeons crawlers, rogue likes, strategy games, multiplayer shooters of any kind, mmos... Basically anything that involves 'making your own fun' or cycling through maps.

Pnutz83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pnutz83

Don't play walking simulators and rogue-likes.

PurpleOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like all video games except country and rap.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Justin258

I'm up for trying mostly anything, but most of the time I find myself playing RPGs (Pillars of Eternity and Fallout New Vegas have been recents for me), shooters with friends (Modern Warfare, occasionally Valorant or Siege, this has been dying down a lot for me lately), single player shooters (Dusk, Doom), and first person games with a heavy focus on exploration (things like Subnautica, Prey, and Dishonored are excellent).

Sports games, roguelikes, and RTSs are pretty much completely off the table for me. I've never been into sports at all, permadeath/restarting the game from the beginning every time might be the worst trend in gaming history, and my mind just doesn't gel well with RTSs. I like to pause and think about my tactics because I'm slow and bad at these games.

insomniak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play 37 genres

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm not too picky with genre , if it looks good i try it but things that are sports , military shooters, horror and most competitive stuff just don't interest me

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Never did I ever play a MOBA that I enjoyed and phone games only hold a passing appeal to me. I'm generally open to trying anything and services like Game Pass have made trying out new things without a financial investment pleasantly easy. I actually started to like Madden and learned the rules of American football for the first time when I had an EA Access subscription a couple of years ago.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of them. Not really into the Dating Sim types of games, but then again, I dont know if I am up for giving them more of a chance either. But yeah, sports, fighting, Sims, racing, action, fps, indie 2D, platformers, adventure games, strategy, retro, rpg, etc. I really am looking for memorable experience or something that grabs me and sucks me into the experience.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I will look into every thing with a decent enough score or good word of mouth but I will never be into RTS, competitive shooters or Battle Royale-style games. There are the genres I can't get into because I suck at it. I did spend an embarrassing amount of time with MOBAs however, due to its growing popularity when I was in my teens.

As an aside, Battle Royale games have lost its appeal to me as soon as I won with my teammates the first time. I don't feel the need to do it again for some reason and when I took the winning shot it ended with little fanfare or payoff that really deflated the whole thing for me. A killcam would have been nice or an instant replay.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play any genre, so long as the game looks good. I tend to not like playing competitive multiplayer focused games, but will still watch a ton of streams of them when they first come out to see if it might be the one to grab me (like Apex).