How many terabytes to backup Giant Bomb?

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not saying we need to think about this but since all of us are thinking about it anyway, approximately how many terabytes of storage space would it take to backup all the video content on Giant Bomb?

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Many lol. I just finished downloading all Bombcast and Beastcast episodes (audio only) to have a local archive. Total space is just under 70GB.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MerxWorx01

This might make me sound like a crazy person but I currently have 4.8TB of Giantbomb content saved on multiple drives. I saved as much as I can but I have had to remove some series from my "collection". Most files are I personally saved in "medium" which I believe is 720 or less and depending on how old the content is some the early days stuff seems like 480 tops(uncertain of actual res). So most of the Whiskey Media happy hours and the Deadly Premonition stuff is very low res and doesn't take much room. This is not the total of content and I am not including most of the sound only files which I've lost over time. But I tried to keep as much as I can. Folks with broadband might be able to start "getting to it" but it is a bear to get through and there is chance some video is lost to time.

Good luck to those making the attempt.

(updated post to mention that files I have aren't close the best quality).

FRANZlSKA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like the appropriate unit of measurement there would be petabytes, rather than terabytes.

Over a decade of 1080p or higher video footage, typically in multiple-hour chunks adds up quick.

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By swordstruck

Total size is supposedly 23TB according to some users on the GB reddit that have complete personal collections.

FYI you will have trouble with some videos. Metal Gear Scanlon 4 episode 14 for example the highest quality download gives you a broken video.

That being said I don't know that there's any reason to have a sense of urgency over doing such a thing. Giant Bomb isn't done.