How much are you willing to pay for next-gen consoles?

• 79 results
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll How much are you willing to pay for next-gen consoles? (531 votes)

$200 1%
$300 3%
$400 10%
$500 45%
$600 21%
$700 6%
$800 1%
$900 0%
$1000 1%
Price is no object, I'm getting one anyway 6%
I'm not interested in next-gen consoles 6%

A lot of the details of Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are now out in the open. Both consoles have slightly different approaches and yet they seem quite equal in terms of power, features etc. Based on what we know so far, how much would you be willing to pay for a PS5 or XSX at launch? I'm not looking for guesses on the actual retail price, but more of a temperature on how much an enthusiast audience such as you duders would be willing to splurge.

• 
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

$600 is the upper limit of my interest and even then there's gonna be some side-eye.

Anything higher and it's just.. well I may as well invest in better PC parts if they wanna play that game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$500 if it has full backward compatability with PS4, because I need to replace my PS4 anyway. I'd have a very hard time justifying $600, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out if the universe aligns. (Pretty unlikely though.)

Any higher would be a hard pass until a price drop. I don't think there's anything the PS5 could offer that I would want to spend that much money on.

jerrymandering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$500 if it has full backward compatability with PS4, because I need to replace my PS4 anyway

That's where I'm at as well. Being able to continue using the digital library I've built up, on top of the "pro" upgrade some games would get (still on a base ps4 now), makes it a day one purchase at any realistic price point for me.

If that's not the case, feel like I would rather upgrade pc stuff this year then buy the ps5 on sale later to catch up on exclusives.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By FacelessVixen

$500 tops, but $400 is preferred since I only want the Demon's Souls remake at the moment.

..Also, something, something 2080 Ti, something, something...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

$500-$600 would be on par with my expectations, although I know it will be years before that price range is reached in my country, regardless of Sony's plans...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By mrfluke

I would go up to $600 but I wouldn't be happy about it, Just truly depends on the backwards compatibility messaging and all the other benefits of the system

$500 is where i hope they land. $400 is what we are all hoping for, but I just doubt that's in the cards with the way people are talking about the technology they are packing in these machines now.

Just need Gamestop to survive for the rest of the year to secure a discount by trading in my ps4 pro.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Voted 400$ but really I mean about 550 canadian and that is if there's backward compatibility. I'm usually an early adopter cause I geek on tech but I might skip day 1 for this gen cause no game interests me (I don't care about Spider-Man and I doubt Ratchet and Clank will be day one), but if I can play Bloodborne on my new fancy console that'd be enough to me to burn 400$ on it cause I'm stupid.

I'll end up buying both, I'm like that, but for the first time ever the fact that I have a good PC might make me wait a few months.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I expect to do what I've done for years, which is buy a console about 2 years after launch with a game or 2 bundled in for a total of $400ish.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we're talking 5 bills- north of that and i'll wait for a price cut.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can part with $500 assuming a lot of factors. Realistically, I'll be a year or two late to this party.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

$500 max. They need to be doing some really innovative things to warrant a $600 price tag in addition to the subscription for online multiplayer which is still a standard on consoles.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

£500 but I'll likely be throwing the PS4 towards the cost to take the edge off.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: I do the "This system has to have at least eight to ten games I want to play" threshold. But then the day comes, I buy the console and a shit load of games and now I don't have the time to devote to them. Then the following week a new release comes out and the backlog has just increased and all I want to do after work to go to sleep.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking for around 400, and will happily take a disk-less console for that price. I don't have a huge collection of physical games from previous gens, so missing out on "insert and play" backwards compatibility, should it exist, isn't a big deal with me.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By north6

I'd normally guess $500, but Sony's comments around fully expecting to sell fewer consoles year 1 tells me its a good possibility its $600. They don't typically tell shareholders that sort of thing unless they've got good reason. MS will probably follow suit, I"m guessing both will lose money on these for a bit regardless.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much i am willing to pay and how much i think it will cost at launch are two different numbers. I mainly game on PC, so I'll probably get one once there's enough exclusives and it feels justified; so once there's maybe half a dozen or a dozen good exclusives. I don't need it otherwise.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

depends entirely on the nature of PS5's back compat

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@efesell said:

$600 is the upper limit of my interest and even then there's gonna be some side-eye.

Anything higher and it's just.. well I may as well invest in better PC parts if they wanna play that game.

This is about where I am. $599 is the absolute most I'll pay, and even that is going to be with some consternation. I'm not looking to drop a mortgage payment on a video game console.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm willing to pay $600, but we need a lot more information on game release dates before I'd even consider buying a new console.

Oceaniax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think "Premium" consoles are going to be $599, and the digital only versions of PS5 and XBOX one to be $399 and require you to sign up for X number of years of PSN or Xbox Live.

I think most hardcore consumers that plan to buy a console within it's first year of life are not price sensitive and wouldn't bat an eye at paying $600, and I think Microsoft and Sony can avoid the bad press shaking the lower priced variant in the main stream presses' faces.

I

psychpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If it's over $500 I'll be waiting for a price drop

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I am willing to pay $399.

To be honest, I think Sony woudl be CRAZY to ask over $499. Sony got burned on PS3's $600 and $500 price tags for 80GB and 20 GB, and they knew it. They had success selling PS4 and PS4 Pro priced $399 (same damn price you will notice as launch fo PS4 in 2013). So, I think Sony has never planned to charge above $499. If it did cost that much they would have not made it that way.

You don't just whip up a console and "see what it costs" at the end - it is all minutely planned and considered. The PS4 Pro was designed INTENTIONALLY not to cost more than $399, they could have easily asked AMD for a more powerful upgrade to Jaguar for Pro, they didn't because they didn't want to mess up pricing that works. Microsoft did mess up, they kept pushing for $499 and the market punished them hard.

Given Sony's good years of success with $399, and give the world economic situation; I think Sony will charge $399 for digital and media based systems. Yes, they will BOTH have the same price making it an actual choice. The digital system will MAKE them money, so they will want to push it. But guess what? Most of the people buying the media drive unit will buy games digitally too. So, it no a meaningful difference and teh media drive can act as an enticement to just "buy".

Avatar image for spudtheblacklab
SpudTheBlackLab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@isomeri: I feel like $500 is just a number we've grown accustomed to because the market said so like 20 years ago. Xbox's and Playstation's cost more than $500 to make and Microsoft and Sony take a hit on every single one they sell. If you're offended by this thought go buy a $500 computer and let me know how much you like it.

Also, no one bats an eye when we buy $1000 phones every 2 years.

For what we're getting and how amazing they actually are and how much entertainment I get out of them and how long they last, I would be fine with spending well over $500 for a next-gen console.

I love videogames, they are my hobby and personally I'm okay with spending a little money on my hobbies.

darksagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be waiting a year at least regardless of price for the library to grow. If it's 600 at launch, I would probably wait for a price drop too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be comfortable with $500, but $600 is probably where it'll land. I'm factoring in that this time around I probably won't need to buy much at launch due to Game Pass. Planning to buy both consoles so I'm budgeting for around $1,500 after tax this fall.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More likely to buy the XSX at launch because I already have a couple years of Game Pass on my account. I could swallow $500 for that, since I will be getting games included. PS5 I will probably wait a year or two (and a price drop) until they put out a game that I have to have. Persona 5 was the game that finally made me buy a PS4, but I also got to play NIER, Spiderman, Horizon, and the Yakuza games, so I wasn't buying it just to play a single game. I'm sure something similar will happen with the PS5 in a couple years.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

650 AUD, but I'm dreaming if it's any less than 800.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fugoy
Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

There is nothing they can realistically do to justify me paying over $500 for the console.

Avatar image for spudtheblacklab
SpudTheBlackLab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fugoy: That's fair, the cost of our phones are included in our phone bills. What if you could get financing for the cost of the console and have the payments rolled into your Xbox Live/Playstation Plus subscription? Then how much would you be willing pay for a next-gen console?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

400 As at this point outside of nintendo theres very few exclusives i care about on sonys side of things, and MS is putting there stuff on pc now so i dont think i need a xbox.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$500 but even then I don't think I'll get one.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fugoy: That's fair, the cost of our phones are included in our phone bills. What if you could get financing for the cost of the console and have the payments rolled into your Xbox Live/Playstation Plus subscription? Then how much would you be willing pay for a next-gen console?

I guess the answer is $24.99/mo, which is the price of the highest tier of Xbox All Access. And phones being included in phone bills is more of a North American thing I think. Most people I know in Europe buy their phones outright. Maybe that's why Android phones are more popular here, because you can get a decent one for €300-400 instead of the €800-1400 for an iPhone.

Anyhow about the poll, I answered $800 (€800). That's a hell of a lot of money, but I just bought a new fancy 4K TV and I want to make use of it. My PC is at the point where it would need a complete rebuild at this point, which would probably cost something in the €1500 range. I'd also want to avoid getting a new PC before 4K capable but decently priced HDMI 2.1 graphics cards hit the market.

And I do think that modern consoles offer more value than where they're priced. Spending around a grand on a sound bar, a TV, a phone or laptop is quite normal and I think I get more use out of my console than any one of those things. I think the pricing will eventually fall between €400-700, with Lockhart trying to hit that traditional €399 price and the top-tier PS5 and XSX models going for €599 or more.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I paid little less than 500€ for the PS4 (KZ bundle), so it’d be nice to have that as the pricepoint again, or even lower, but I’m sure they’ll hike it up to like 550-600.

I do have money to spare around holidays and I’ll probably trade in my Pro to get a discount, so maybe it’ll end up below 500 by the end of it. Though there’s still going to be like +70€ added to that with game(s).

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: The one nice thing about this generation step is that I won't have to spend money on games or accessories, except for storage expansion. My current controllers will continue to work and Game Pass will set me up with release date games. If I decide to get a PS5 as well things will be a little different, but even then controllers should work.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Humanity

@isomeri: At this point if Sony doesn't have full on backwards compatibility for PS4 games then it will be shocking and a huge blow to them. Like you said - I have a Elite controller, a pair of fairly expensive Wireless headphones for Xbox and a ton of games in my library for Game Pass, and all of that is coming with me. If you buy a PS5 and it's another carte blanche where nothing is compatible with it.. ooof thats rough.

jamie5590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

£499 would tempt me to buy one at launch; any higher and I'd probably be waiting until the point in time when the PS4/XB1 are no longer supported.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: I don’t know if it’s specifically a US thing, most people here in Sweden that gets a new phone of any considerable quality doens’t buy them upfront. At least looking at all the friends, family and coworkers I know.

As for the console, ideally I wouldn’t want it past 400. 5/600 starts getting pricy to the point of being hard to justify for me right now. And I tend to be an early adopter so it’s going to be sad not to be able to if it all goes too high.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Justin258

Microsoft already has a plan for financing an Xbox One and the Series X will probably follow suit, which would allow them to break the $500 mark by quite a bit. I would be surprised if the PS5 wasn't the same story.

For me personally? Even without Xbox's exclusives coming to PC, there's too much on my preferred platform to ever actually get through it all. That doesn't mean I won't own one or both consoles at some point, but for that kind of money I could do some pretty cool upgrades to my PC.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThePanzini

I can't see either box being above $500 with $399 being the magic number. I doubt we'll see any sort of financing both will easily sell out at launch. Quarantine has been really good for gaming if its still in effect or comes back it'll drive demand even higher. Every PS5 related announcement has done pretty nutty metrics on social media demand is most definitely there.

Rohsiph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the rumors about older-gen back-compat on PS5 pan out with their final marketing push, I'd probably pay whatever they ask though would think about it twice above 700.

Without that, I'm ready to jump in easily for 500, probably ok for 600.

Its videogames after all.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just checked the current USD-CAD exchange rate and <collar tug>.

I’m gonna have to top out at $400 USD in that case. I’m willing to go digital only to make that happen, but if there isn’t compelling software at launch, or cross gen stuff (I.e. Spider-man Miles ends up on PS4 too) then I might be willing to stick out the current gen a bit longer. At least I’ll still get to play Halo Infinite!

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I paid whatever the 60gb PS3 was at launch (600 bucks, was it?) because I really, really needed to play Metal Gear Solid 4 and Devil May Cry 4 as soon as possible. Point being, I'll pay whatever I gotta pay to get the games that I want. I will, however, be surprised if the PS5 has anything that I want that badly before it sees a few price drops. And that's cool because, although I'm willing to pay 600, that's not a thing that I'd be totally thrilled to do.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possible price leak from Amazon France. These images put the prices at €499 for the standard PS5 and €399 for the Digital Edition, which converts to $565/£447 and $452/£358 respectively.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doerr007 said:

Possible price leak from Amazon France. These images put the prices at €499 for the standard PS5 and €399 for the Digital Edition, which converts to $565/£447 and $452/£358 respectively.

Remember prices in Europe include VAT. So if that price is correct, the US price without VAT would be around $500 and $400 for all digital. I entirely expect whatever prices "leak" to be placeholder prices though until Sony and Microsoft announce the real prices later in the year.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

$500 and that's a stretch. For the graphical output that they are gonna put out, I do not want to pay $500 but I will if I absolutely must.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The smart delivery is what is going to be the deciding factor for me. If ps5 doesn’t let me upgrade my ps4 copy of Cyberpunk I‘m getting an Xbox.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@north6 said:

I'd normally guess $500, but Sony's comments around fully expecting to sell fewer consoles year 1 tells me its a good possibility its $600. They don't typically tell shareholders that sort of thing unless they've got good reason. MS will probably follow suit, I"m guessing both will lose money on these for a bit regardless.

COVID-19 seems like a pretty good reason to expect lower than normal sales even at a $400 price point.

@fugoy said:

$500 is my max limit but it helps since it's holiday release that I can get some gift money to lop that price off at least another 100. That and with backwards compat I can also trade in my old ps4.

That's not the best comparison when no one buys those $1000 phones up front.

I do, it's cheaper in the long-run. I don't buy them every 2 years though, it's more like 4, because I use them until they crap out.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spudtheblacklab: Really not sure "we" are buying $1000 phones every 2 years either.

Maybe every 4 or 5 years I'm able to lease a phone..

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JonRambo

For me to consider it at launch I'd say $400. I don't expect that though. I have such a backlog of games from this generation that I want to play that I don't think I'll have an issue waiting a while. I also think with production delays related to COVID the libraries are going to be pretty slim for the first year (even more slim than they usually are at a console launch). I bought a XB1 at launch and there wasn't much on it. I played an upgraded version of Black Flag and NBA 2K for quite a while. I made a mistake going XBox over PS4 though. Just got my PS4Pro 2 years ago which is why I think I'll be content playing through that backlog for a while.