How much are you willing to pay for next-gen consoles?

• 79 results
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Poll How much are you willing to pay for next-gen consoles? (528 votes)

$200 1%
$300 3%
$400 10%
$500 45%
$600 21%
$700 6%
$800 1%
$900 0%
$1000 1%
Price is no object, I'm getting one anyway 6%
I'm not interested in next-gen consoles 6%

A lot of the details of Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are now out in the open. Both consoles have slightly different approaches and yet they seem quite equal in terms of power, features etc. Based on what we know so far, how much would you be willing to pay for a PS5 or XSX at launch? I'm not looking for guesses on the actual retail price, but more of a temperature on how much an enthusiast audience such as you duders would be willing to splurge.

• 
MKennedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

400 maybe 500 but anything over that and it'll be a hard pass for me.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hmm... you say at launch, but personally I'm not so sure if I'd get one at launch, simply because I don't know if the library will be there. I still have a considerable backlog of PS4 and Nintendo Switch games, so I'm not really at a loss for games to play. If the PS5 is backwards compatible and can play my PS4 games, that will certainly help, especially if they can play them better.

On the other hand, tech lust may take over and I might get one at launch anyways. $600 seems like the upper limit of what I'd find acceptable to pay, and unless there's a handful of "killer apps" around the launch window, I could see myself waiting until there's a price drop to $500 or some kind of bundle.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By frytup

@robertforster said:

The smart delivery is what is going to be the deciding factor for me. If ps5 doesn’t let me upgrade my ps4 copy of Cyberpunk I‘m getting an Xbox.

It will

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Being in Canada, I don't doubt that if they're $600 US, I'll be paying $800 for one. Add in a single controller and with 13% HST (Ontario) it'll be a $1,000 purchase for sure. I'm not looking forward to it, and given the whole coronavirus thing I'll be getting a next gen holiday 2021 I'll be getting one regardless.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$250... i have a PC :P, so i can wait to play the world changing exclusives, if there are any, towards the end of their lives, at which point there might be an updated system to play better versions of those games.
Yes i'm still waiting for a reasonably priced Switch.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Unless the price is surprisingly affordable which I don't think it will be I'll probably wait for a while before picking one up. I own far too many games that I've not played as is.

Big_Denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

$600 is my absolute max. After that, I really can't justify it when I already have a fairly powerful PC.

Somewhere between $400 and $500 would be the sweet spot for me though.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MobiusFun

I need to see good exclusives before I worry about price. I could see myself getting a gtx 3080ti and not considering a new console.

I got a PS4 for two reasons:

1) Bloodborne

2) There would probably be an Armored Core 6 eventually, its not like there's been a Sony console that didn't have an AC game on it. That wouldn't happen, right?

RIGHT? Even the fuckin' Vita had Armored Core ports, smdh.

Now I only touch my PS4 if something comes out on a PC storefront I don't want to use, like the Epic or Windows store. Outer Wilds is maybe the last game I'll play on it.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 9

I've already suspected years ago that the new consoles will cost around 500$ so I'm prepared for it. However, 600$ or more and I will have to wait until later to get it. He's hoping that doesn't happen.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for PlayStation, $400, definitely if the disc version is that price.

but I can wait a bit for the digital one to hit 300, cause even though Sony is known for having exclusive games, they won't be out till holiday 2021, spring 2022.

Xbox seems to be doing universal upgrades, buying an Xbox One game gets you a xcloud and series X copy, downloading the better/worse assets as needed. seems like I could get more out of it. and it seems despite being more powerful the digital version could be way cheaper. $350 for a digital and $500 disc I'd actually go digital

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There is no realistic price I can reasonably afford thanks to the current world conditions.

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#62 finaldasa  Moderator

$500 but they would need to be pretty spectacular consoles.

I'd need to see a decent lineup in that first year, a good chunk of backward compatibility, and some deep improvements to functionality from both companies.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tbh, I am wondering if this will be the first console cycle I skip entirely. GPU's were overpriced last gen, but my gtx 1080 is still doing me a good service. I currently don't have a console at all since I sold my ps4, and I just can't' justify buying a pro when the new ones coming out and can't really justify buying a new one at whatever the hefty price will be. And if gpu's get back into the 700$ range for the high end then it won't even be a contest at that point. I would like to play the last god of war and the spiderman game at some point though.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AtheistPreacher

I've never bought a console at launch, and normally wait until there's a critical mass of new games I'm interested in playing. However, this time may be different. If the backward compatibility is really robust, then I don't see any reason to wait, because I'd really like to be able to play my PS4 games with basically no load times. I'd rather start enjoying that aspect now than wait years for a price drop of $50-$100.

I voted for $700, because $800 really would give me pause; it would be double what I spent on my PS4 slim. But I'd be shocked if either system was over $600. And in that case I'll probably be getting a PS5 at launch.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 14

Not more than $600

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Have no interest personally. Just gonna stick to my pc. Consoles are too expensive for me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm hoping for $499, but expecting $549/599. I would probably still take the plunge at $599 but wouldn't feel good about it. I already have a 2080 Ti, so the PS5 would only be for exclusives like Ratchet and Demon's Souls (if there's no PC version).

GuardianBob87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be okay with up to $650 CAD for the full disc bulge model (but would obviously prefer it were less)
14 years of inflation and current GPU prices really deflates the impact of seeing a 6xx price tag.

REthuklen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$800 is the upper limit of my interest, and I won't let myself go further... because I have to consider the money I have to spend on buying gold and items...

SuperKMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been putting money away each month for about 18 months, so I should be able to swing whatever price Microsoft and Sony finally decide to charge, especially when I sell my PS4 Pro and XOX. With that said, over £500 apiece would be eyebrow-raising.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MrGreenMan

I just bought a Xbox. My first console in over 15 years since my PC took a big ole shit, and with this pandemic causing some parts to be way to expensive to bother building a new PC at the moment. That all said, I really don't plan on buying a new console for at least another year or two, and I'm hoping by then the prices come down a bit.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I voted for $500 but what that actually means is I'll be looking to trade in my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro to get them at like $250 pre-tax ish each. That'll be the sweet spot, much higher and I'll have a harder time justifying it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put $500, but that's what I'm hoping the price would be and trying to be realistic about it. I'd get it at $600, but I don't want it to be that price. I just don't expect $400.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

sigh, I just got used to this generation though. And where did y'all get 599 USD?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting on a sale for these consoles since I'm not willing to go over $300 or so and they most definitely are going to launch for higher than that. I've got plenty to play in my game pile so no skin off my bones.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve already got $1000 in gift card balance, saved up for both consoles. I’m ready for whatever.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm expecting the high end models to be £600+ and that's fine with me. Even if they come out at £1000 I'll buy one if it has games I wanna play that I can't play on PC.

dogbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definitely an outlier here, but $200. I primarily play on PC; since the PS3 I've just waited until the end of a console's life, then picked it and all the good exclusives up cheap.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Absolutely 0 chance I'm buying a console that costs more than $500. And really, as unrealistic as it is to be this low, it'd have to be closer to $300 to move me to purchase one right now -- and that's if a sufficient number of exciting titles end up exclusive to it.

Fact of the matter is, it's not good math. I like to stay hip and current on video games, but there's an enormous catalog of games *already out* from which I could spend less money and gain a lot more. With my backlog as huge as it is, I can't really justify being in a hurry and spending more money in the short-term.