How much video game music do you listen to?

• 96 results
cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have noticed that I have been acquiring more and more video game soundtracks over the past 3 years. Has anyone else had their music library tip towards being primarily game related?

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say primarily video game music, since I still listen to a fair bit of metal/electronica, but I have my fair share of video game music. There are some really stellar soundtracks out there, especially from games around the late 90's / early 2000's.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

too much, to the point where, first time I heard Kayne West was throught Saints Row 3rd. And right now with Weird Al's new album I have to look up who these artists are that I have no idea because Pop music doesn't compare to boops and beeps of NES chip tunes.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I find myself mostly leaning towards video game music when I'm actively listening to music now. Like, most of my exposure to music is passive, in that I'm listening to whatever's on or whatever friends are listening to, but when I'm listening to music while- say- exercising or when I just feel like listening to music, I find myself seeking out whatever video game music is stuck in my head.

Been listening to a lotta Rhythm Heaven music lately, for some reason.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only a few soundtracks I've kept in rotation. Braid, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami, Fez, The Floor is Jelly, FTL. Really recent stuff, I guess. Generally, I like the instrumentals because they're good painting tunes.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

None.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I occasionally listen to stuff on the train, mostly Hotline Miami, Dustforce, and Jazz Jackrabbit 2, but with all the Humble Bundle soundtracks there's plenty of good stuff for me to choose from.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd say like.. 30% of what I listen to is video game music? After recently finishing Persona 3 I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Persona 3 and 4 and Hotline Miami. Honestly don't even notice most other video game music. I did really enjoy the vocal tracks in MGS3 and MGS Peacewalker though.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Loafsmooch

I sometimes listen to 8bitx.com. It's a webradio which plays a lot of music inspired by video games. I found some of my new favourite songs there.

Also, Hotline Miami & FF7-8 soundtracks are teh bomb!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

Now that most new artists tend to avoid signing to labels it's really hard to find good music, so almost all of the music I've aquired in the last 6 years is atleast tangentially related to movie, tv show and videogame soundtracks. Hotline Miami and Drive were godsends for finding amazing electronica.

I don't tend to listen to instrumental stuff though, just vocal tracks.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A lot, it's really the majority of the music I listen to. Though I don't go exclusively for game soundtracks, I am also a big fan of remixes found on sites like Dwelling of Duels and Overclocked Remix.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Much as I like Zelda music, I don't find that my adventures in internet browsing/lying down ever call for Zelda music.

Same goes for almost all original game soundtracks.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

A lot.

Darksiders II, Lords of Shadow, Crash Twinsanity, and the list goes on.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Pie

Just the chaos theory soundtrack, max payne 3 soundtrack, hotline miami soundtrack and Bastion soundtrack. Now I just tend to listen to different albums by the same artist though. So overall not a whole not

Chiptune is lame

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

For awhile, game soundtracks made up the majority of my music library due to a few music bundles I got cheaply and my lack of desire to purchase music (instead of just listening to it on Youtube). Nowadays, JPOP/KPOP make up a far greater percentage of my (vastly increased in just a year or so) library. I really like some of it, like the Nier soundtrack, but I feel I get tired of game music if I hear too much of it back-to-back.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami and Bastion have great soundtracks. Playing through Persona 4 for the first time right now, and I feel as though by the end of it the soundtrack will end up on my .mp3 player. Really wish I could get my hands on the official Killer7 soundtrack CD, instead I'm just stuck with listening to the songs on Youtube in the background while I browse.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UlquioKani

Mass Effect 2 Soundtrack and Hotline Miami I actually listen to. I have the Halo Reach and Dragon Age soundtracks on my iPod and I never listen to them.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Quite a bit, but MY GOD the music in Persona is overpowering everything right now.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A lot, but I mainly listen to stuff that sounds like it could be a normal album by an artist/group as opposed to an album that clearly sounds like it's a soundtrack to something. Stuff like Anarchy Reigns, Hotline Miami, Persona 4 (well, most of it anyway), Metal Gear Rising, Shatter, etc

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to game music A LOT!

It's a fantastic way to mentally relive parts of a game without having to replay it, although it sometimes makes you want to play that game again as soon as you listen to it, lol.

I've found that game music is best when trying to fall asleep. Games have some of the most relaxing songs ever. Those who have a hard time trying to sleep I recommend giving it a try.

These are some of my go to's for falling asleep:

Torvus Bog Subterranean Theme (Metroid Prime 2)

Phendrana Drifts Main Theme (Metroid Prime 1)

Horse Steppin (Hotline Miami)

Fire Temple (Ocarina of Time) WITH the Muslim Chants because it's soothing to me for some reason

Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Counrty 2)

Forest Interlude (DKC2)

Detroit City Ambient (Deus Ex Human Revolution)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find myself listening to OSTs too often, but occasionally if one really sticks with me I'll revisit it on its own after the game or movie. Hotline Miami and The Yawhg to mention a couple recent games.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Tom_omb
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

Whilst I can appreciate a good soundtrack, I'd much, much rather listen to music that was made for listening to, not music that was made to go in the background of something.

Hotline Miami had a pretty damn good soundtrack.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Occasionally, the Shatter Soundtrack and Bastion OST are the two that most frequently get played.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

All of it always at all times forever.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By HellknightLeon

Almost 0% of games I've played. In most games I kill the music, I don't know when I started this. So getting the music after the fact is going down and down. Old games.... yes... new game, not so much. Hot Line Miami and stuff that you HAVE to get is about all.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to the FTL soundtrack almost at least once every day it's so damn good.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

A lot. I generally can't listen to music with lyrics while I work, and I prefer podcasts at other times, video game music fits the billl perfectly.

That said, I don't actually buy any of it, since I am at work and have internet access I just stream it from various sources. I think I've gotten a few through humble bundles, but I haven't synced my iphone to a computer in years, so I don't have access to any of it offline.

Its a pity, because those composers deserve my money. Maybe I should buy more merch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The only game music that is part of my music collection is Far Away from Jose Gonzales off the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack but that is a legit song.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I'm pretty constantly listening to something videogame related. Could be new or old.

For example, remember that badass skrillex song from Syndicate???

I do. :S

And to be relevant, I used to have Gods Will Be Watching open in the browser just to hear that masterclass song.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By fattony12000

A moderate amount.

Some months it's more than non-video game music, sometimes it's the other way around. Depends on what new music there is to listen to, and what I feel like listening to!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I appreciate and love some game music but I don't really enjoy it outside the confines of playing the game. Outside of gaming I do listen to wide variety of music I'm just not a huge fan of instrumental music.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Persona 3 and 4, all of Mass Effect, and Katawa Shoujo on regular rotation. Sometimes I'll load up an EarthBound playlist on YouTube when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Mass Effect 1 and 3 are my favorites to listen to front-to-back, just because the tracks are so evocative it's almost like playing the games again.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Love me some video game music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Fez, Transistor, and Journey. Used to listen to a TON of Final Fantasy piano albums, but haven't much within the past few years.

nateema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nateema

Very little, to be honest, because I hardly ever listen to in-game music - I find it distracting instantly forgettable. Turning the music volume down is one of the first things I do with a new game - i prefer to listen to the effects and dialogue and have my own music in the background.

The only ones I have made a point of buying and listening to are the soundtracks for Transistor and The Last Of Us because they are excellent albums in their own right and something I would buy regardless of their origin.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I listen to most of my music on Spotify now, and while I wouldn't say that most of my music is geared towards videogame music, I do have several playlists of game soundtracks. I listen to things such as Fez, Bastion, Transistor, Final Fantasy (various games), FTL, Dragon Age. I listen to a lot of instrumental tracks when I am reading or doing stuff that requires much more concentration.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Not mostly, but I do have a lot I listen to. Much of it has been mentioned already, but I still want to say that the Super Meat Boy album is my favorite. But I also enjoy some older stuff, like Fallout and the Curse of Monkey Island Theme. Maybe a bit odd to mention those two in the same sentence, as all the Fallout music is moody and makes me think of arid deserts filled with bones while the CoMI theme is so damned happy.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not often, but sometimes I will spend a morning listening to old videogame music. Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack is a recent favorite.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Portal's "Still Alive" on my iphone.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

None. I more often than not turn in-game music off after I'm tired of it during long games as well. I find most video game soundtracks to be repetitive and forgettable, and definitely almost never something I would want to listen to on their own.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a lot, actually. If a game sounds good, I go buy the soundtrack. I have Bastion, Sword and Sworcery, Persona 4, and Spelunky on my phone right now, and I've been listening to Guilt Gear Xrd tracks on YouTube.

Dr_Beaverah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The monkey island soundtracks have always been some of my personal favorites.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own around 20, and listen to them fairly sparingly. I love it, there is so much more craft in game music than movies these days.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't. Occasionally I'll go back and listen to pieces of the Halo 2 soundtrack or some final fantasy stuff, but that's it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not my primary music, but I'll listen to a couple songs daily.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'll listen to the Persona 3/4 soundtracks when I'm missing those games, but that's it. I end up turning game soundtracks off an often lot in favour of my own music if it's not a story driven/atmospheric game.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

It's all I have/listen to. Mostly because those Humble Bundles often include them.