(How To) Making a Banner

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jax

With the new wallpaper system, some of you may be wondering how to make a banner without having it stretch, or tile. If you take a look at my profile, you'll see that I was able to do this with a little help from Moose in IRC, and some Photoshop skills. Here are the dimensions that you will need to work with. If you aren't a hands on person, you can check out Alexanders pre-made template file. You should follow mine if you want to do it yourself. We didn't know each other was working on a fix for this issue, but I give him props. Anything to get your banners to work guys.

Your initial canvas size for your image should be:

Width: 1424
Height: 195

(This means the image you want, just make it within these parameters)

Now you will need to create a new transparent canvas with these dimensions:

Width: 1424
Height: 390

(because the background system centers the image, so you added a 195 extra buffer from top and bottom.)

Paste your original image into the new canvas.

You will see transparency at the top and bottom (because your canvas is transparent by default). You should use paint bucket to fill in whatever colors you want, black, white, whatever. It probably won't show, it's a buffer, but just encase it overlaps. REMEMBER: Layers. New layers for everything you paste, or type. Don't want to have to press "step back" 20x.

The font that I used to add extra text next to my name was Arial (Bold - 32pt.)

If this is confusing to you, are you are having issues with lining up text and what not, I have uploaded my PSD file for you to use as a template. The font is in the proper place, but since your name is probably longer than mine, you will need to figure out how many spaces to move your sentence over (upload mine to your banner, take screen shot, paste in Photoshop, use rulers to calculate).

Banner Sample/template (PSD)

(Edit, after thinking about it, there MIGHT be a resolution difference in how the system recognizes your image to your screen. So if it does not sync well with your resolution, I can give you these tips.

Upload anything (preferably the picture that is overlaping/tiling to your background. Take a screenshot and paste it in photohop.

Cut out the entire banner area, from left to right, top to bottom, even under the transparent GB toolbar.

Next you will want to use selection tool >  copy >  new file >   add  195 to the height
> paste

(This creates the top and bottom buffer which causes the system to not tile your image.

(As you can see, I took the screenshot from an already WORKING banner, so my pictures were properly placed beforehand. Just work within that image, you can paste your images in it (and size them within the image, delete everything in my image or whatever, but don't overlap the buffer zone! Make SURE you delete your name, avatar and the GB toolbar, that is not an image, it's compiled over the image through ajax/css/js from the website. Be sure to keep in mind placement of borders, where your name will appear on GB, and what not.)

The bufferzone probably WONT show, but just encase, I can't stress enough, use simple colors (red, green, blue, black, etc.)

(Fill in transparent top/bottom with whatever color matches your picture - the system most likely won't show this part, but encase it does.) I used black.

Make modifications as necessary; copy, paste, cut, fill in, etc. Like I said before, if you are doing this on your own (without my image file) and you are working with your own screenshot you took, be SURE to delete the GB toolbar in the picture, and your name. My banner was more dynamic because I didn't just want a picture, so I had to keep in mind where my name would appear in respects to where I wanted my sentence.

And in the end, it's all about editing the file to fit perfectly. Might have to upload different sizes of your picture, because it could be off by 10-20 pixels in either direction. But the outcome is worth it in my opinion. =)

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MichaelBach

Thanks, I was just messing with tha background thing... I think it should be more simple

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By suneku

moved to general discussions, editing and tools are for wiki stuff

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jax

Ok thanks Seneku. =)

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By suneku

no problem, nice work on the (how to)

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jax

Thanks, it was a lot of trial and error. BTW, check out Alexanders thread for an alternate way of working with your banner.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kohe321

Thanks for this! Still, I hope they fix it so that it automatically rescales your chosen picture to fit.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravey

Nice tutorial, i'd recommend using only a few colours and saving them as GIFs if possible because at that resolution you it's the difference between a few kilobytes and a megabyte just for a background...

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK

christ why is that so complicated on a site like giantbomb which tries to make everything ridiculously easy?!?

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jax

Hey man, I don't work for GB, just tried to make a quick fix like Alexander did for a bug or issue which is probably going to be resolved soon.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Mushir

Thanks. Helped me a little to make mine:

No Caption Provided

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jax

Nice buttons bro!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Mushir
Jax said:
"Nice buttons bro!
"
Haha thanks!
Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jax

Np bro. Did you make those yourself? If so, could you tell me how :)

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Lies
Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers