Humongous Entertainment: Let's Take a Trip Down Memory Lane

Rhymeasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rhymeasaurus

Recently I was looking through some of my childhood games and came back across Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside and the influential giant that was Humongous Entertainment came rushing back to me. In many ways, Humongous is the reason I started playing videogames (as well as got over my fear of the dark and thunder).

That being said, I was wondering who else has fond memory of games like Pajama Sam, Putt-Putt, Spy Fox, etc... and if so which was your favorite/why?

For me it has to be the Pajama Sam Series, specifically the first game. My parents had me play it to get over my fear of the dark and boy of boy did it work. I even dressed as Pajama Sam one year for Halloween. Something about becoming a hero and confronting the things that went bump in the night still resonates with me, and I certainly will have my children play Pajama Sam (assuming I one day have children).

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try to come back for a longer post after work, but for now I will just say this...

SPY FOX 4 LIFE

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By big_denim

Freddie Fish and The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds was my fucking jam back in the day.

I'd do just about anything to ensure the safety and well being of Grandma Grouper!

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

putt putt goes to the zoo might be the second earliest game I can remember (the first being the original Metroid). I think i played through pajama sam within the last couple of years and it held up reasonably well. Art design is still fantastic for a lot of those games.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I remember loving the Pyjama Sams about being scared of the dark and the weather one. Also freddie fish and the missing conch.

Sarge__Gunnerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rhymeasaurus said:

In many ways, Humongous is the reason I started playing videogames.

I'm right there with you! I had this same nostalgia trip last year when I was bumming around Steam and saw that Humongous entertainment was having a humongous flash sale...

...so I bought pretty much every single title. I've only played a couple because I just have a laptop and don't usually play games on it, but I wholeheartedly agree Pajama Sam is my favorite out of the bunch. He's still one of my all-time favorite characters and those games still hold up today. I don't get as much of a kick out of just clicking on pieces of the scenery to see something goofy happen, but I certainly appreciate the creativity and care put into each of those animations and it definitely worked when I was younger. I remember thinking Spy Fox was impossible when I was younger, but I liked that world too. Hopefully my adult brain will do a little better when I go back through them...

Sarge__Gunnerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thunder and Lightning Aren't So Frightening is definitely my favorite.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I loved pajama Sam so much as a kid that I asked my parents for my birthday for a Pajama Man official metal lunchbox. It didn't exist of course but I remember getting a cool Pajama Sam flashlight instead.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By DinosaurCanada

I remember those games being so fun to poke around in. Unlike other kids games that I was only allowed to play, they rewarded you for just clicking around on stuff with goofy shit that made me laugh. Other games just seemed dumb and less fun in comparison. They probably made me the kind of player I am today.

I remember Freddi FIsh freaking me the fuck out for some reason though? Idk. I probably still loved The Case of the Missing Conch the most though.

djn3811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I loved all of those adventure games as a kid. Spy Fox was the best. The Putt Putt goes to the zoo theme is awesome.

I also bought them all in a humble bundle or something when they first came to steam. They're great if you want that nostalgia trip.

They also had the amazing line of backyard sports games (Pablo was the man).

Sarge__Gunnerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djn3811 said:

Pablo may have been the man but Mikey was my dude! Just look at him. He's the best!

Rhymeasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz: I too wanted said lunchbox, and I think my dad bought me a metal lunchbox and glued the art of the Pajama Man on it for me.

Rhymeasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djn3811 said:

PABLO.

IS.

KING.

Dude ran circles round anyone in any game. Football? First play handoff and watch him juke it to the TD

Soccer? Dribble round everyone and shoot for the point

Baseball? HOMERUNS FOR DAYS

Basketball? Didnt play it... no opinion.