I be trucking?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So Alex’s trucking streams have slowly become my favorite video series during this bullshit we now call our life. I have started finding the urge to play these games myself but didn’t know where to jump in.

Is there a preference between Euro and American? Does it really matter? I am American myself, but the game seems focused on the west coast right now, which I am not super familiar with, so that doesn’t sway my decision much.

Raleighen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I got my dad into these games years ago and he plays both actively, across multiple profiles (he has a profile "for" my mom lol). I don't play them myself, but from talking with him, it really seems down to personal preference. They're still updating or were still updating in the past year the Euro version and they still have a bunch of states to go in the American one. The American one is newer and since you're American, you would find the driving rules more familiar. However, my dad's Canadian/American and started playing when it was only Euro truck and he had no problems. He doesn't play any of the multiplayer mods, so if you're interested in those, I would suggest doing some research to see if either game has a more active community.

In the end, I think it really is just wherever you personally want to drive. There isn't too much in the way of scenery and distances cities, etc. are all shrunk down so it isn't really a sightseeing game, but for some people it's cool to drive through places they know or places they want to go. The American one is going to keep expanding and I fully believe in the team behind it to keep going with the game.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to play multiplayer, I would suggest getting ETS. It's much more active than ATS, but I think that's almost entirely down to there being a) more people in Europe into these sorts of games and b) there's more of Europe already represented in the game than there is of America in the ATS game. Those two snowball together so more people play there.

However, if you just want to play single player, then go for whatever one you like the truck style of more or that you think you'll enjoy the roads of more. If you want big american Peterbilt truck cabs, then go for that because they don't exist in ETS without mods. If you want more of the Volvo style box truck cab, go with ETS.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By skunk

Raleighen pretty much covered it, go with personal preference because they're close to even footing, features wise. I have both but prefer American trucks so I drive those more often but still drive ETS2 once in a while for the scenery change. If you're looking for multiplayer, ETS2 is by far the more popular choice. You can take a quick look at the server status and also download the client at https://truckersmp.com/. Enjoy!

edit: There is no ai traffic in multi, only other fleshbags.

Quick shout out to Alex for this super chill stream! It's keeping me sane during the week. Now if only we could get Azerbaijan Radio working again.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think all the above comments cover you, I just wanted to share in the trucking love. Personally, I go for Euro, but I think that is almost entirely down to growing up in the UK and only ever seeing cab over engine trucks. I guess that's everyone's take though, we gravitate to the familiar. Really looking forward to the Spain/Portugal map extension due this year. My two cents on something to add; there are some great mods/file changes you can do to massively increase the radio stations which is much better for the longer stints in the game.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both equally, if you want some European adventure go Euro, if you want good ol' America with cooler looking trucks go American, they both play pretty much the same though they differ in some of the DLC offerings.
I wouldn't worry at all about being familiar with any of it, it doesn't render locations accurately and you'll be following the GPS the entire time, it plays very well on controllers but you'll want to adjust the controls to your liking.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7  Edited By Bonbonetti

I like them both equally. I've played Euro Truck longer because it's been around much longer. I have no preference between them, the actual gameplay is identical after all. I try to divide my trucking time evenly between them. I only play single-player, have no experience (and interest) in multiplayer.

So as far as gameplay goes, it doesn't really matter which one you choose, since they are the same in both games.

There is some difference of-course: Euro Truck offers more variety as far as the different trucks you can drive, each country has a different and unique atmosphere to it, driving in the UK will require you to drive on left side of the road.

In my opinion, it all depends more on what type of environment or atmosphere you want to drive around in: Euro Truck is more "compact" as a game-world, with an urban fell to it (in comparison), whereas American Truck is more open with bigger landscapes, with more nature in it.

So when I feel like driving around in smaller towns and modern city-like environments I'll play Euro Truck, if I want an "open-road" feel I'll play American Truck.

They play really well with a controller; the games will recognize your controller, so you don't have to set anything up. You might still have to tweak the button-mapping a bit, if I remember correctly the game does not map the window wipes (or was it the head-lights?).

If you want to play with a wheel-set you will also need some form of eye/head-tracing device (about $200).

TheSquarePear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO American Truck Simulator suffered from the initial game map not being big enough compared to the original Euro Truck Simulator so be prepared to spend extra cash on the state DLC before there is enough to explore. I know Euro Truck has DLC as well but the state by state DLC for the US just seems so daunting compared to the "perimeter" DLC of Euro Truck plus I don't know if you can "skip" over states.

It's been a while since I played but otherwise it's more about the difference in geography and traffic laws:

• Europe: winding roads and freeways with few lanes and some pretty tight corners but usually generous speed limits. Lots of stop and go at traffic lights and ferries etc. and you might get "stuck" behind other trucks once in a while.
  • America: mostly freeways with several lanes and huge intersections but speed limit is pretty restrictive except for Nevada. If you don't mind the fines and skip "World of Truck" jobs the speed limit doesn't matter that much but can be a little annoying. Gas stations and cities also seem to be spaced out more than in Europe so you might struggle more to find a place to rest in time before your driver gets tired.
arawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everyone else put it well. Just thought I'd share my experience with the game so far. I've got just over 215 hours in on ETS2. I don't have a fancy set up or anything. I just use a wired xbox 360 controller and have all the buttons I need mapped out on the controller. As an American I was drawn to the European setting over America. I live in Japan so I guess none of that matters now haha. But yeah, it's just a totally fun relaxing game. The management side of things is very minimal. I have about 16 employees and as long as they have a truck they'll do the work for you. There are tons of mods and ways to customize your truck. I didn't ever think I'd get into it as much as I did but it's a great way to relax! Happy trucking!

No Caption Provided
dijidiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't tried ETS2 yet, but at least for ATS, if you wanna use a controller be sure to do the control setup/wizard thingie. At first I just changed the control mode to gamepad and it was an utterly bizarre control scheme, doing the wizard sets it to a more typical driving game scheme that use the triggers for brake/accelerator. You might still have to play with sensitivity/linearity to make steering feel right. Apart from that, I'd start with all the assists and game simplifications turned on and then adjust things from there.

Start off with quick jobs where you get an employer-supplied truck and don't shy away from doing the "hard" parking option when delivering - they can be really fun IMO.

Raleighen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonbonetti: If you want to play with a wheel-set you will also need some form of eye/head-tracing device (about $200).

Definitely don't need eye tracking for a wheel. My dad was using a wheel for a while before we got him the Track IR thing as a gift. He used keyboard/mouse before that and when he added the wheel, I believe he kept the keyboard close and set up hotkeys for different camera positions. His desk is set up so the wheel is mounted to the keyboard tray and the keyboard is up on the desk.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

@raleighen: Personally, I thought it was too difficult to look around while driving the truck (in cockpit view) without using tracking. I mapped the buttons to my wheel but did not think it worked well.