I Built an Arcade Console

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I miss my arcade machine, so I built the next best thing.

It's a Raspberry Pi 3 built into a wooden box, with the joysticks & buttons wired to an I-PAC keyboard encoder. I've got an HDMI port on the back, so you can just hook it up to a TV and you're good to go.

I'd love to know what you guys think about. I've got more details, photos and a parts list on my website.

Cheers.

OldeBlueEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna lie man, that is awesome! I really dig the color scheme and that wireless double fight stick, jealous for sure. Definitely a good idea to show off SF2 with it, awesome work duder.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dafdiego777

I love these R-pi projects. Great job!

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Nice, i'm doing the same with my X-Arcade Tank Stick, though, i'm adding a KVM switch so that i'm able to bypass the Raspberry Pi and still use it as a controller on my PC if i wanted too. I also mounted duel USB inputs on the front so it can extend to 3-4 players and/or add analog control for any games that need it.

Also a fun/cheap fact i discovered while working on mine that maybe useful for anyone who wants to customize their own fight stick. If you buy white buttons you can use clothing dyes you color them any color you want. Just get some water boiling water going, add dye, dip the plastic in and you're good. You'll want to time the dipping process for overall consistency and it's best to test a piece that won't show to get the color you want. Dip it, count 5 seconds, check it - repeat process until you've found the color you like.

ALSO be aware of what can cause holidays or stains on your piece. Air bubbles will prevent the dye from touching the plastic so you'll want to keep the piece moving a bit to release the bubbles, this is especially important for concave buttons. Lower it in sideways or at an angle so an air pocket doesn't form. When you pull the plastic piece out of the dye it may have a drop of dye on it. That drop is going to stain that spot. When you pull your plastic piece out of the boiling dye water, immediately dip it in some cold water. This will wash away the dye drop and close the pores in the plastic.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about that, just found it useful information when i made a bizarro Neo Geo/Street Fighter hybrid button color scheme on my arcade console.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

If I were to give you money, will you build me that?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mean that kicks ass dude. Nice camera work too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even into arcade stuff but this is awesome, dude! Awesome video too!

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awesome. I set up retro pi on my pi 2 recently. I've had some emulation issues with retro pi and it hasn't been totally reliable for me and setting up certain bluetooth controllers is a pain.

Nice job though, looks good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, now I have to make one of those.

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CameraGuyKurt

@bones8677: Sorry duder, I don't have nearly enough downtime to make more of these. The good new is that there are a zillion YouTubetutorials out there if you want to build something similar for yourself! Thanks for asking though. ;)

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I really appreciate it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Total cost?

Love the video editing, btw.

jszyarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

That's an awesome build nice work! What was the most difficult part for building for you?

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@cameraguykurt: your arcade machine says it misses you too and "hopes you and your new hussy are happy". Look man that was their words not mine.

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers