I have funds for only one game. What to get?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag
Systems: Gaming PC, PS3

L.A Noire
Portal 2 
Infamous 2 
Witcher 2

Factors:
a. My PC for sure can play Witcher 2 and Portal 2 at high settings  (core i7 920 OCed to 4.2GHz, 6GB 1333mHz Triple Channel, GTX 275 896MB)
b. I loved Infamous (5/5 for me). User created missions sounds awesome for part 2.
c. I loved Portal (5/5 as well). I've only read great things about the sequel.
d. I am currently playing the first Witcher and it's pretty good so far (approaching a 4/5)
e. I have never played an 'adventure game' but I don't mind trying something new.
f. Heavy Rain was just 'OK' for me (3/5 if I were to rate it)
g. I am intrigued by the post-war Americana setting. To me it's a different world. It's an atmosphere I would love to be immersed in.
h. RPG taste: loved Oblivion, Fallout 3, WoW, Square JRPGs. Put off by Dragon Age and Mass Effect style of gameplay.
i. Although a totally different game, I loved Red Dead Redemption

This is a tough choice, and I still have no  clue which direction I'm leaning towards. These are all great games (assuming Infamous 2 will be good).
I did not want to make a poll since I want to read people's input. 

Thanks in advance!
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

I wouldn't go with Portal 2, it won't last you very long.

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By protomessiah

Just my thoughts, but Portal 2 can be gotten when its dropped in price later in the year, and same goes for LA Noire. If your liking the Witcher and want more straight after your done then get that but from your description of your love for Infamous I think you should get Infamous 2.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

Portal 2 would be my first choice, it has incredible writing and voice work, easily the best of this generation and probably the best of all time. L.A. Noire is also really fantastic, the detective stuff is great and the shooting whilst not a common thing in the game is pretty satisfying. Oh and its nothing like Heavy Rain, L.A. Noire is actually an enjoyable game. One of those two I would say, from there on its your personal preferences.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You didn't mention length, so go for Portal 2. nothing tops Portal 2 for me this year, except for BF3 which is multiplayer focused Portal 2 is the greatest linear experience ive had in years. 

if there's anything to be described as minblowing, it's Portal 2, because it literally blows your mind

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I'm in a similar situation, with the cash for one recent game. I went with Witcher 2, seemed like it's the best value for money and I was craving a CRPG.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Of the games listed I've only played L.A. Noire.

It's a great game though, and it's nice to play something that isn't about mindlessly shooting everything in sight for a change. The gameplay can get repetitive, but the fantastic atmosphere, story, and dialogue more than make up for it.

Give it a shot if you're looking for something that's different from most mainstream games.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Siphillis

L.A. Noire and The Witcher 2 are the better values, but Portal 2 is the best of the bunch (not including Infamous 2, of course).

Cupids_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cupids_Hitman

I have a feeling that you'd probably get the most bang for your buck from The Witcher 2. I can't comment on its quality though. I haven't played either of the games.

L.A. Noire looks (the gameplay, not visuals (not that they look bad), I haven't played it yet though) amazing, so I don't think you can go wrong there, and I haven't seen anything about Infamous 2 so I won't comment on that.

I can however vouch for Portal 2 being a brilliant game. Granted, it doesn't have a lot of replay value, but it will not disappoint entertainment wise. It's an absolute blast and super funny. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10  Edited By natetodamax

L.A. Noire is incredible. I recommend getting it.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By SMTDante89

I can't really comment as I haven't played these games (but have played inFamous) but "if" you get Portal 2, get it for PS3 since then you can get it for Steam for free.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

The Witcher 2 is incredible. I recommend getting it.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Portal 2 (on the PC) then The Witcher 2. You can alternate between the first Witcher and Portal 2, and then get yourself hyped for The Witcher 2 when you have the money. Even though LA Noire looks great, I wouldn't pay $60 for it. Besides, you'll probably find Portal 2 and The Witcher 2 together for less than $60 with deals online and such.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Getz

I'd say go with The Witcher 2; you'll get the most out of your money if you enjoy that style of game.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FritzDude

Most bang for your money = The Witcher 2.

Gogo!

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mau64

I would go with Witcher or inFamous. Portal will drop in price fairly quickly, especially with all those Steam sales. L.A. Noire is great so far but will be a slow burn for me since I'm playing with the wife. I would go for a more action type game.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By defaulttag

TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT STEAM SUMMER SALES! Think Witcher 2 or Portal 2 will be on there?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By fox01313

Well Witcher2 or Infamous2 will have more gameplay time than the others which might not have a lot of replay. All seem good though for choices though.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By crusader8463

Don't know you so I can't really suggest anything for you, but if it was me this is how I would break it down if the game is going to be the only thing you are going to get for some time: 

• Portal 2 is good, but it's very short and in a week you won't have anything to play because you will have beaten it. Due to the nature of puzzles it's not really something you can play again. At least not for a few years when you may not remember all the answers to all the puzzles. I would wait for Christmas and buy it during the Steam sale for $10-$20 
  • inFAMOUS 2 looks like it could have a ton of new stuff to do all the time if the proper community forms around the mission maker. I personally found the combat got very repetitive very fast, so I wouldn't want to keep playing it myself, but you said you liked it so each their own.
  • Witcher 2 is the one I would personally go for in the list. It's long, looks like it has a ton of re-playability, and is just more to my taste in games.
  • LA Noir looks like it will be a fun little game to play, but I'm not sure how re-playable it will be. From what I have seen it looks like it's only a right/wrong kind of situation, and while you maybe able to go about getting to the end differently, I'm not sure how different it really is.
 If it was me I would pick up Witcher 2 first, then wait for the others to go on sale and pick them as they drop to a reasonable price.

EDIT: I some how missed the part about already playing the first Witcher. Unless you get really into that world, I would hold off so you don't get oversaturated with that series and end up not liking as much because of that. Pick up inFAMOUS 2 first, and if you take your time with it one or two of the other ones should be dirt cheap by the time you are done with it.
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By KillyDarko

Witcher 2, that game is incredible and it'll keep you busy for dozens of hours ^^

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By crusader8463
@defaulttag said:
TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT STEAM SUMMER SALES! Think Witcher 2 or Portal 2 will be on there?
By the time they do it Portal 2 will have been out for a few months, so I could see them selling it for $20-$30 since that's the kind of thing Valve does. Witcher 2 maybe, but I would think it would just be $5-$10 off the base price or something 
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tunaburn

why no mortal kombat on that list?! that game has endless replay online

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sprizmo

E.T. for the Atari 2600. Somebody may pay you to take it off their hands.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of those, The Witcher 2 seems to be like the best choice if you can only buy one game.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vexxan

L.A. Noire, great game that will last you a while as well.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kingzetta

Infamous 2 or the Witcher 2

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Hizang

As inFamous 2 is not out yet and I have no idea whether it's going to be good or bad, I will go with L.A Noire, it's a fantastic game.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By ClaritySam

Definitely the Witcher 2 if you can run it, just purely for the number of hours you'll get out of it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The Witcher.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By defaulttag
@tunaburn: I suck at fighting games. I'm more of a singleplayer gamer like vinny.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pinworm45

Don't get portal 2, it's good but it's expensive and short. The price will drop in a valve sale soon, wait for that. Never played either Infamous so no opinion on that. LA Noire is a decent choice although so far I'm personally not enjoying it too much (but I'm obviously the minority with the rave reviews it's getting.)

The Witcher 2 will probably go on sale soon too so I'd wait for that, but I didn't really like the first one.

Suggestion: Get Terraria on Steam. 10$ and it's really, really fun.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm not sure what advice to give other than that I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of them. Have fun with whatever you choose!  :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Animasta
@Pinworm45 said:
Don't get portal 2, it's good but it's expensive and short. The price will drop in a valve sale soon, wait for that. Never played either Infamous so no opinion on that. LA Noire is a decent choice although so far I'm personally not enjoying it too much (but I'm obviously the minority with the rave reviews it's getting.)The Witcher 2 will probably go on sale soon too so I'd wait for that, but I didn't really like the first one.Suggestion: Get Terraria on Steam. 10$ and it's really, really fun.
I mean, witcher 1 and witcher 2 really are different beasts. Everything has been improved from witcher 1, so saying you didn't like the witcher 1 doesn't really say anything (I honestly did not like the gameplay either, but I played through it because I was excited for 2)
defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By defaulttag

I'm gonna go ahead and buy gog.com's digital version of Witcher 2. There's a ton of extras. It's also the only digital version that has the artbook. all the money goes directly to CD Projekt versus valve or a retail store. Thanks for the input everybody!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fallen189

Get portal 2 for the PS3, blast through it in a day, then trade it in to get good cash on it, and buy any of the others for a few extra dollars

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@Fallen189 said:
Get portal 2 for the PS3, blast through it in a day, then trade it in to get good cash on it, and buy any of the others for a few extra dollars
He'd get to keep it on the PC as well with that steam thing they're doing. That's not a bad idea at all.
SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
@JJWeatherman said:
I'm not sure what advice to give other than that I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of them. Have fun with whatever you choose!  :)
JJ speaks the truth. All 4 of those games are probably going to be in the GOTY discussion later this year. Pick the one that interests you the most and go for it.
SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
@defaulttag said:
I'm gonna go ahead and buy gog.com's digital version of Witcher 2. There's a ton of extras. It's also the only digital version that has the artbook. all the money goes directly to CD Projekt versus valve or a retail store. Thanks for the input everybody!
Good choice!
SockLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SockLobster

Witcher 2, if you can run it then you should.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By YoungFrey

Having only played Portal 2 from that list, I say: The Witcher 2.  You will get far more time played from it.  There will be a billion used copies of P2 soon enough.  But wait till you are done with The Witcher 1.  It's not exactly short.  W2 isn't going anywhere.  Reassess when you are done.