I have too many games and I don't know what to play!

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hey friends!!

Like many of you, I have a backlog. Like, a ridiculous one.

Objectively, I've never been more financially secure. I have incredibly low bills/costs, and I have a lot of money to spend on games. This is a far cry from getting one Super Nintendo game every 6 months. But like a lot of people...a sale does something to me. I recently bought Total War: Warhammer 2, played the first battle as the Elves then never played it again! I guess I view it as "I'm paying the developers to show I like what they're making". Almost like a pennance from the sheer amount of games I pirated as a kid- when I had no money. Or even better, when a friend would bring round a CD Rom, install the game, and I'd play it on my own. The first time I got a gaming PC, he brought round Farcry, Max Payne and Doom 3, and my gaming life was changed as I saw what a REAL gaming PC could do.

But like most of my threads, I'm waffling. So here's the meat of the thread:

I have this list of games which is obscene, but I don't know where to commit time to! If any of these games REALLY stand out to you, could you let me know which ones, and why? I'd love to hear about people's passion for games!

Here it is:

PC: Total War: 3 Kingdoms, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Hollow Knight, Noita, Into the Breach, XCOM 2, Octopath Traveller, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Ape Out, Yooka Laylee 2, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Stardew Valley, Oxenfree, Pillars of Eternity, Invisible Inc, Dead Cells, Total War: Warhammer 2, Borderlands 3, The Talos Principle, Yakuza Kiwami, Shovel Knight Treasute Trove, Baldur's Gate 2, Monster Hunter: World, Untitled Goose Game, The Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Tyranny, Disco Elysium.

PS4: Resident Evil 2 Remake

Switch: Wargroove, Breath of the Wild, Cadence of Hyrule, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Pokemon Shield, Fire Emblem: 3 Houses

Wow. When I see it written out, I see how stupid this backlog has gotten. If I can just interject my own post, some of those games I have already started.

I've started XCOM 2 3 times now, but I always get distracted by playing multiplayer games with my friends. I adored XCOM: EU, so I bet if I got into 2, it'd really go.

Octopath I'm pretty far in. I just finished everyone's act 2, and I'm eager to finish the Act 3's. I love the music and aesthetic, I just feel I've come to the end of the combat?

Crash I'm very close to finishing the first one. It's got VERY hard, and I just did that level where it's very dark and you collect the masks for light. I forgot how INSANELY hard Crash 1 was!

Stardew Valley I'd like to play more multiplayer. We got up to Winter of the first year, and we're LOVING it, but my guy is playing a lot of DOTA 2 at the moment.

Pillars of Eternity is weird. I'm 20 hours in, and I'm kinda...losing interest? I just did the Leaden Key activity under the city, I believe in Woedica? It branched into 3 sub quests. The game is good, but on my difficulty it's a little easy, and on the next difficulty it's too tough. I kinda just drag click my entire party and click the baddies, only using my spell slots on "bosses" or "Tough fights".

Borderlands 3 I kinda hated cause of Claptrap, but I LOVE the gunplay. I got to the bit where you're taking off the ship, and Claptrap gets his butt caught in the screen. That scene ENTIRELY put me off the game. It was so juvenile.

Monster Hunter I took some time off, and when I came back it was unplayable. The whole "Games as a service" thing made it kinda impossible to get back to. When I logged on the other day, I had so much event shit shoved in my face that I had no idea what was going on. When I last played, I did the Zorah Magdaros fight, but I was finding the gameplay too difficult without a friend.

The Witcher 3 I've already finished, but on the base PS4. I feel like I haven't played the definitive version, which in my mind is the PC version. I played on the most easy difficulty, by just smacking guys with swords EXCLUSIVELY. I'm 75% through the Bloody Baron quest. I like it a lot, but it's also so time consuming that I'm put off by sheer intimidation.

Divinity 2 is another POE style problem. I got 75 hours in, up to Arx. I think I just landed there actually. But I know that I have another 25/30 hours in, and I'm almost entirely checked out with every story except Ifans. Does it get better in Arx? I also feel that I'm at my wits end with the combat, cause my party is so efficient. I've got some class mods, but I dunno if it'll change my issues.

This is an ENORMOUS THREAD, and I realise I've chatted a lot of shit. If you have any recommendations for any of these games, please holler at your boy!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nutter  Online

—Straight Bangers—

The Witcher 3 - My favorite game of all time. Play it. Now.

Yakuza Kiwami - Amazing game. I prefer Zero, but Kiwami is great. Lots of drama, lots of silliness, some amazing sequences toward the end of that game, too. The Yakuza world is super easy to get pulled into. I love these games...

Monster Hunter: World - REALLY cool, but it sort of never ends. It’s a really good solo game, and an outstanding co-op game. Taking down those monsters that used to just show up and murder you on sight is SUPER satisfying. It’s a unique experience that you should play, especially if you have a crew.

—Great—

Oxenfree - Great game. Cool story and puzzles. Some of the completionist-style puzzles are worth breaking out a notebook. Very cool.

—REALLY Good—

Pillars of Eternity - I really enjoyed it until I fell off. Cool game and world, but I just sort of got tired of it.

—Totally Fine—

Untitled Goose Game - It’s fine. It’s not a time waster, but the early hype on this one was overblown. Totally fine puzzle game with some quirky charm.

—Stinkers—

Borderlands 3 - Skip it. I bought it at some friends’ behest. It’s a time-killer at best. Value your time more than that and skip it.

—Also on my Backlog—

Invisible Inc

Resident Evil 2 Remake

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BaneFireLord

Cherrypicking a few:

Disco Elysium is kickass from what I've played of it so far, so I'd vote for that.

Breath of the Wild is also very good, though my opinion of it has degraded a bit in the last few years...it's a stunning achievement in world design but there's also a weird hollowness at its core that I think stems from it half-stepping toward being an RPG without fully committing to it and having a very muted sense of character progression as a result.

I think Pokemon Sword/Shield kind of straight-up suck (bad story, obnoxious characters, weirdly janky), so I'd recommend against playing Shield.

As for your situations with Pillars of Eternity and Divinity OS2 and other games you've sunk time into already, the rule I've begun to follow as I've gotten older and accumulated a massive backlog of media is that if I've lost interest in something and have already gotten a fair amount of entertainment out of it, I just drop it and move on to something else. Life's too short to waste on entertainment you're not enjoying anymore just for the sake of completing it, especially if you have a big backlog of other stuff to delve into.

(Also don't feel too bad about the size of your backlog...mine is exponentially larger)

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you are concerned about the size of the backlog, pick a few shorter games so you feel like you are making progress. Goose Game and Ape Out would be a good start , but I'd personally recommend Invisible Inc. A single run of the game is only 6-8 hours, but you unlock more agents and skills for the next playthrough if you want to keep going.

Also, don't feel bad about dropping a game that doesn't catch you. You have enough games that you don't need to suffer through a game just because you have it.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Tom_omb

@sombre

Ape Out, you can beat in about 4 hours, that's a quick one to knock out. Untitled Goose Game will take a bit longer, but it's another quickie. It has more variety and charm than Ape Out.

Breath of the Wild! I'm shocked you haven't played it if you have it on Switch. It's a time sink, but time well spent. The freedom of exploration that world allows is unparalleled. There's a million things to do, but it's up to you how many of them you want to do. My favorite game this generation.

@banefirelord I like that about BotW. I feel RPGs are bogged down with complex systems and multiple upgrade paths. Zelda gets at the essence of what makes makes games fun, trimming the fat. This elegance is why I love Nintendo so much.

Hollow Knight is another game that stands out on your list. There's always someplace to explore, and upgrade to find, when the path is blocked with a difficult boss. Until there wasn't, I never finished it, but I loved the 60 hours I spent with it.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

@sombre

Ape Out, you can beat in about 4 hours, that's a quick one to knock out. Untitled Goose Game will take a bit longer, but it's another quickie. It has more variety and charm than Ape Out.

Breath of the Wild! I'm shocked you haven't played it if you have it on Switch. It's a time sink, but time well spent. The freedom of exploration that world allows is unparalleled. There's a million things to do, but it's up to you how many of them you want to do. My favorite game this generation.

@banefirelord I like that about BotW. I feel RPGs are bogged down with complex systems and multiple upgrade paths. Zelda gets at the essence of what makes makes games fun, trimming the fat. This elegance is why I love Nintendo so much.

Hollow Knight is another game that stands out on your list. There's always someplace to explore, and upgrade to find, when the path is blocked with a difficult boss. Until there wasn't, I never finished it, but I loved the 60 hours I spent with it.

Tbh, needing to spend 60 hours on a game is more of an enditement than a positive nowadays

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Witcher 3 is the best RPG there is.

If you have trouble getting into something, a game like XCOM 2 or Total War: Three Kingdoms can be nice as you can pick up and play it or be listening to something as you do it or whatever. I have 3 Kingdoms to play off my backlog right now so that's my plan probably today to start it. I do have to say play WOTC, as someone who played XCOM 2 vanilla and that. I mean if you were loving it I'd say play them separately to have both but you haven't gotten through it yet.

I also have RE 2 Remake to play. Not very long I know so might be a good one to bang out.

I'm with you though. There was a while where I hadn't played hardly anything. I just put a lot of time into the Division 2 (very fun game if you like TPS, even solo) but at this point at the endgame I'm spinning my wheels on the loot, which I am not a fan of games with these spammy loot drops, so time to jump into something else.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Tom_omb

@sombre: I agree, but every now and then the right game can hook you. I mentioned that because, looking back, I loved the game despite the time I put into it. At the time it was a really hard decision to put the game down, the fights were just so damn hard. Maybe you love a tough boss fight and are less of a explorer and a collector than I am.

It's hard to tell what that game will be without knowing your tastes. Resident Evil 2 and Into the Breach are two games on your list I've sort of fallen off of.

RE2 is so relentless and stressful, it barely gives you a moment of reprieve. It was too much for me, but some people love how it doubles down on unforgiving old fashioned survival horror.

Into the Breach is a game I respect, and still occasionally play. It's decent fun moment to moment, simple, elegant, and matches are short. Yet, sluggish rogue like progression is not for me. I gain very little in between games, and even that is very easy to loose. It relies on learning the game and becoming a more skilled player before you can achieve the goals.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sombre: So I've finished Borderlands 3. After that scene, he basically goes away. He has some side quests that you can trigger by talking to him on the ship. Don't want to deal with him? Don't talk to him.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sombre

@sombre: So I've finished Borderlands 3. After that scene, he basically goes away. He has some side quests that you can trigger by talking to him on the ship. Don't want to deal with him? Don't talk to him.

How would you rate the writing in the rest of the game?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Better than anything Claptrap does but nothing in it is going to win awards.

Vaughn is also bad, but also goes away for most of the game. The rest of the writing is fairly predictable but at least most of the characters are decent. None of it reminds me of quite the toilet humour that Claptrap is, but it's also not a million miles from it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 41

#12  Edited By Slag

@sombre:

Let's back up for a second here. Ask yourself what is the real problem here?

You are not getting paid to play games (as far as I know). You won't be penalized for not starting or finishing something. Unless this is a job for you somehow, this should be fun not stressful. Why is it a bad thing in your mind you have these unplayed games?

i.e. which one(s) of these is it?

1. You worried spent too much money on games
  2. You are worried about wasting money and thus feel guilty about not playing what you have
  3. You wanna #jointheconversation about popular games and have fallen behind in keeping up
  4. You've started too many games and now are overwhelmed about how much content you have left to play
  5. Something else I didn't articulate

If it's the answer is 1. Sell back any physical copies of games you don't think you are going to play this month and reduce your spending.

If the answer is 2, as long as you are well within your budget of what you can afford on entertainment and are having fun realize you money has been well spent whether you finish everything or not. Not like a person who pays Netflix every month watches every bit of content they offer right? Slow your future spending of games if it continues to bothers you.

If the answer is 3 or 4 see below

Every game you listed that you started and listed a concern about, just cut bait with them now. That means drop Octopath, Pillars 2, Borderlands 3, Monster Hunter, Witcher 3 and Divinity: OS 2 and maybe Crash (if you aren't having fun, couldn't tell with that one). Be done with these games, take them out of the equation entirely just like you would a "finished" game. Most of what you listed you definitely already got your money's worth out of these games based on the hour counts you mentioned.

Doesn't matter what I or anyone else here thinks of them, you clearly aren't enjoying playing them atm based on your comments. Like @banefirelord said There's no shame in moving on when you are no longer having fun. Your time to play is likely more limited than your choices of what to play are these days.

Don't worry about Stardew, if you wanna only play it mp that's totally fine. So I'd just wait on your friend it take off the list until your friend decides. If your friend ultimately decides not to play anymore for good, well then you can decide if you wanna go back to it on your own.

Up to you on XCOM2, as you know XCOM games are kind meant to be replayed anyway. I don't think you'll lose anything worthwhile by restarting a 4th time. .

Then I suggest playing a few short games off the list. Invisible Inc and Oxenfree are 2 really good games in your list you can clear in well under 10 hours. You'll likely feel a little better if your list is smaller. Given how much like XCOM2 I'd say give Invis Inc a look. Subtracting the things you don't want to play more of and those two will shrink it a lot.

Then when you are ready for a big game I suggest starting with Breath of the Wild. What's unique about that game compared to other long games. is you can more or less decide how long you want to play it. You can play it for 20 or 200. You can really can. It's also widely considered one of the best games of this gen. You might enjoy deciding for yourself. And since you mentioned long length is a negative for you, this game gives you control over when to go to endgame so you can "end it" anytime you more or less want to (depending on your personal skill level).

After that I suggest checking howlongtobeat.com playtimes of what you have on your list and playing games that have a length you are in the mood to play. I'd suggest rotating between long and short length games so you don't burn yourself out.

RE2: remake may not be bad one to tacklesoon too, given that it's medium length and recently very popular.

p.s. I don't think it took me 25-30 hours to clear Arx (more like 15-20 and I did every sidequest), but everyone's playstyle is different

p.p.s don't feel bad about this, every gamer is dealing with this issue these days. Hope you have fun whatever you do!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For what it's worth, i went through the entire campaign of Invisible Inc during a free weekend. for 10-ish hours i was engaged and then i was satisfied and never felt the need to play more of it.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

The hardest thing to do is to pick a game. I would just fire up a game and commit to it. My suggestions would be X-COM 2, Disco Elysium or Resident Evil 2. If you're not feeling a game, that's ok! Don't waste your time because you could be playing something else that is more to your liking.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most of your backlog is pretty meaty games ,... i honestly have the exact same issue and have the same or similar games on my backlog , i find it helps to look on hltb and go for whatever is shortest these days since i don't have a ton of time to game , if not the shorter options i play longer ones on weekends when i don't have to work. this past couple months in terms of playing stuff and sales i've kinda been bumping up the newest purchases to the top since thats the funds i actively spent knowing i wouldn't have time for them.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: its that short!? ... i might have to bump that near the top of my own backlog!