I just bought a VR Headset to use as a whiteboard

fantasticasm89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fantasticasm89

I just bought a Valve Index for productivity/creativity. I would've bought the Quest 2 instead but I figure that I will want to upgrade my PC if we ever see lower chip prices again.

I plan on using Google's Tilt Brush as a way to make notes. For starters, Tilt Brush has a fixed third-person camera. I can stand in front of what I'm writing and people can still see it. A professional-grade whiteboard can be over $1k (my understanding is that they are cast in a forge so they last a long time and resist stains, unlike the cheaper ones you can pick up at an office store). Whiteboards are messy, erasing leaves waxy flakes everywhere (not on my dark floors, no thank you). Tilt Brush lets you import files and I imagine saving/exporting files is possible too. I also just found out that Tilt Brush has been released as open-source, which means development will continue indefinitely.

I'm running an AMD 1600 with an RX 590 that I built 2 years ago with the intention of 1080p gaming. I will definitely be doubling my ram (8 to 16). I've got an SSD hard drive (not NVME). I know the RX 590 will be the performance bottleneck, but we're in a middle of a crypto boom and a chip shortage which translates to a graphics card crisis. I bought my RX 590 for a net of $40 (it came with 3 free games), and now it's selling for like $500 on eBay. The good news is that I've seen Half-Life Alyx running on an RX 590 without dying so I might get to enjoy a few games too. I might need to upgrade my CPU or even my cooling solution (my card is thermally bottlenecked here in SoCal, but I'm moving to somewhere much cooler, so we'll see). I just want my Tilt Brush to work smoothly.

I'm really glad I waited on VR and in my view if your PC can run VR I think it's an opportune time to buy one if you've been hesitating. If this post get's some love, I will make some YouTube videos to show off.

# EDIT

It arrives on Monday... I'm really stoked, I already bought Beatsaber and Superhot.

Avatar image for davesavedtheday
davesavedtheday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow, this is a fantastic idea honestly. I was looking at the Quest 2 not even a week ago but I'm not ready to jump in yet. Would love to see a video about this in action. I'm curious if it will become the "thing" you hope it will!