I like Animal Crossing. Any other focus on building/decorating and friendly interaction as Animal Crossing does?

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HarbinLights

I love Animal Crossing, and Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons for that matter.

It's been quite a while though in my opinion since a good Harvest Moon game. And I have played Stardew Valley. I've also put like, a thousand hours into Animal Crossing New Leaf. And that was pretty much the last great Animal Crossing game. I play a lot of Pocket Camp, but it doesn't quite live up to New Leaf.

And I love that type of gameplay experience and want more of it in my life. Just building and talking and accumulating and gifting stuff, rather than fighting and all that tension. I don't know where to look, though. I've played Harvest Moon SNES, 64, Back to Nature, Friends of Mineral Town, ect., and Animal Crossing Gamecube, New Leaf, Pocket Camp, ect., I don't know what to try elsewhere now. Except just more Animal Crossing and Story of Seasons I've already played. I am one rich mayor now. And I sure don't want to play Amiibo Festival.

And no new Animal Crossing was announced at E3, we'll probably have to wait a while.

In the meantime, what do I play? Any recommendations? I want to build, and I want to talk to friendly quirky NPCs again. Kind of considering starting another playthrough of AC Gamecube again. But I'd rather try something new.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MattGiersoni

I don't know what platforms you own, but I'd recommend Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, it's an indie game totally without combat or killing and focused on exploration, helping villagers and npcs, building and managing your farm, collecting resources etc. It's a "relaxing open-world adventure game" as described by its steam page. It definitely gave me some AC, Stardew etc. vibes! It's available on PC, PS4 and Nintendo Switch! It's 20$ I believe. I really like it and it's very relaxing! I think GB did a quick look of it, too.

Oh, and the upcoming indie game Ooblets is also something worth checking out! It does have combat but it's nothing violent, It has pokemon like combat but instead of fightining the creatures are doing a dance off I believe. It's also a game where you're befriending cute creatures or raising them, but it also has a lot of social elements so meeting and befriending npcs, building up your farm, decorating your house etc. It's one of my most anticipated games! It's a combination of Animal Crossing, Stardew, Pokemon and other such games. It's gonna be so awesome! For now it's only gonna come out on PC and Xbox but they want to bring it to other platforms. It's only 2 people working on this so it's gonna take some time.

Loading Video...

I'd also add Fantasy Life on the 3DS. It has combat but it's mostly avoidable. You choose a profession (you can switch at any time while retaining skills) and then you can explore the world, do quests, talk to npcs, it also has a fairly nice story. I'm playing it now and it's also very relaxing. You can be a paladin or a mercenary, hunter, those are more combat focused, but you can also be a blacksmith, an angler, alchemist, woodcutter, carpenter, cook, miner, tailor etc. Each of those classes can help each other so with things you mine you can make armor, you can cook some food etc. There's also room decoration and buying/changing houses. It all has a very pleasant atmosphere. It definitely has some AC/Stardew elements. Check it out!

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of my most anticipated games! It's a combination of Animal Crossing, Stardew, Pokemon and other such games. It's gonna be so awesome!
Loading Video...

Totally with you on that! It looks so adorable!

I watched E3 and was mostly underwhelmed outside of Nintendo and Namco. Or rather, Smash Bros. Ultimate and Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition.

This is one of the only other games that caught my eye. This is definitely right up my alley.

As for what platforms I own, most of them. I have a SNES, Super Famicom, NES, SEGA Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance SP, DS Lite, PS Vita, PSTV, PS2, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Switch, 5x 3DS's, Galaxy S6, XBOX 360, and 5 or more gaming PCs. And if there's must play game on a platform I don't own, I'll probably buy it.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi there! I'm with you, I love these types of simulation games. Hopefully this isn't a dumb, obvious suggestion, but have you tried any Sims games? There's also another game that's coming out called Mineko's Night Market that looks really great for Animal Crossing fans. :3 Fantasy Life for the 3DS has combat, but I've read that you can forgo it and just focus on the crafting jobs. I'm not sure how difficult that would end up being, though, since I've never tried it and it's been a long time since I've played that game.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harbinlights: I edited my post with some Fantasy Life stuff, but yes, I agree with @millionthlayla Fantasy Life might be something for you, as well! It's nothing violent, it's more cartoony.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattGiersoni

One other game for the future which the post above reminded me of is Witchbrook (formerly known as Spellbound), a new game by the creators of Starbound and publisher of Stardew Valley. It's gonna be an AC/Stardew type game but in the school of magic. This is totally still not coming out for a year or two or more, but it's definitely intruiging and something I can't wait to play. https://www.pcgamer.com/chucklefishs-magic-school-rpg-more-details-on-dating-combat-and-influences/

It's sadly really tough to find games of that type without combat which I guess is kinda sad that the industry often focuses on having any combat at all. Hopefully at least indie devs might deliver some games in the future and of course the Animal Crossing switch.