I love this website

thisisdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

But the reddit sub group is terrible and I will happily not be there ever again.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know there was a reddit for GB. It seems pointless but if I had to guess, I bet a lot of those people were banned from these forums.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

I dunno if anything the reddit group seems to be enthralled with the site to a fault.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yup. The forums here have always been really positive, great conversations, very active. The Reddit is so weirdly hateful for a community that is largely positive, kind, and progressive on the forums.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The mods on the reddit are so ban happy its untrue. The one main one is too sensitive towards ANYTHING

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posting anything but praise gets the downvote brigade going

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm old and don't know how to use Reddit :P, it's good when Google directs me to an answer for something, but actually using it confounds me.
What's it used for anyway? If i want a discussion on games i'd have it here, not some 3rd party weird time sensitive comment/forum hybrid.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: Reddit is more or less a giant collection of message boards with a single account that has a bunch of integrated systems like "karma" for upvotes and downvotes (which can be useful) and awards users can give each other, private messaging, chat, etc...

The reason people like to use Reddit is that it has a massive userbase (these forums have really fallen out of use, which has pluses and minuses) and it is under complete control of the mods who created the "subreddit."

It makes sense for hobbies with no central site (for example general video game discussion) and for sites that heavily censor their comments sections, but for something like Giant Bomb it tends to draw people who are dissatisfied with the official message board (or just use Reddit for everything) which can create a slightly...different community.

I don't think Reddit is necessary for GB because the mod team here is pretty reasonable.

To be fair to the Reddit users, some people just like Reddit because it has all their message board stuff in one place so they can talk about lots of different stuff and have one inbox for their PMs and other stuff, and I get that.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@cikame: I use it to see the most popular news on a variety of topics. Surely you can discuss games here, but it's a small forum with a limited amount of people. If you were describing a niche game you bought on a holiday in France in 1992, you'd probably have a better chance of finding someone that can help you on your path on Reddit.

After a day of champions league, i go to /r/soccer and watch the goals.

If i quickly want to see what's happening in the dota community i check /r/dota2

if i want to learn about the new Mars rover i go to /r/nasa

If i quickly want to get a gist what's up in my country, i go to my country's subreddit.

If i want to see people banter around eurovision, i check /r/eurovision

If i quickly want to see what the latest deals in gaming are i go to /r/gamedeals

If i want to learn what the hell is going on with these gamestop stock shenanigans, i'll hear about it on reddit .

If something has gotten big on the internet and i have no idea what people are talking about, i can catch up through /r/outoftheloop

And while the commenters contain a ton of clueless people and the typical reddit humor tends to seep in pretty much any subject, there are a ton of knowledgeable folk around as well.

You don't need to know anyone that is an expert in woodworking to know that you can find plenty of encouragement, tips and feedback on /r/woodworking. That instant link towards all kinds of communities is quite powerful.

I guess i i was a hardcore twitter user, i might not spend as much time there, but i don't.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Posting anything but praise gets the downvote brigade going

I posted once how I enjoyed Dan, and the main mod told me off for not mentioning Abby

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the point of having a reddit of gaming forum? It seems too redundant to me...

Just like reviewing a video game reviewer, i feel like where will it all ends XD

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: Unlike the userbase here, Reddit is massive and easy for other random Reddit users to discover. If it works, it works.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Humanity

@giant_gamer: The Resetera GB thread is starting it's own Discord despite the fact that an official GB discord already exists so you can go pretty deep!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I'm going to start a Clubhouse room and pass myself off as a Giant Bomb expert named Gerst Jeffman.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: If you do that, I'll create an account under the name "Big Jeffery" and go on for an uncomfortable length of time about how everyone should ride my rollercoaster.

Sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#16 Sweep  Moderator

I enjoy the forums here, but I find the meteoric communities that pop up on external sites like discord, reddit, or other forums to be often cliquey and/or obsessive in a way which doesn't excite me. I think without consistent moderation it's also easy to let entire communities be overwhelmed by single personalities and opinions which, while seemingly aligned with Giant Bomb's core values, betray the inclusivity and open mindedness on which we pride ourselves.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By bybeach
@humanity said:

I dunno if anything the reddit group seems to be enthralled with the site to a fault.

That says what I suspect, "to a fault".

But from what I infer, people do discover this site this way, so that is to be appreciated. And if by chance things get too obsessive, forum personalities or concerning the staff, the best thing may be to escape and participate at Giant Bomb itself.

As for me, Giant Bomb has been great entertainment for me for years, and connects me to a pastime I still enjoy doing.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thanks for reminding me that reddit is terrible and that my interactions with said site should only be for information when I either encounter a bug in a game or I want some info on some mods for a game.

...I miss Digg/Diggnation. I wonder what Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht are up to these days.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here, I found this site to be informative and insightful. Reddit isn’t my cup of tea anymore, I find it to be exceedingly US-centric and-- just plain dumb. I use hacker news for techy content, and this site (and others) for gaming stuff. I have to force myself to spread my interests over many platforms otherwise I get stir crazy ha.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BrainScratch

Giant Bomb's subreddit is so terrible, close-minded, and circlejerkey that pretty much made me move away from the GB community as a whole for a long time and sometimes made me not even want to watch GB content as often. Their power-hungry, ban-happy, holier-than-thou moderation is some of the worst I've ever seen on any online community I've been a part of. I also don't understand why they hate Dan so much over there, it's like a weird obsession.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here, I found this site to be informative and insightful. Reddit isn’t my cup of tea anymore, I find it to be exceedingly US-centric and-- just plain dumb. I use hacker news for techy content, and this site (and others) for gaming stuff. I have to force myself to spread my interests over many platforms otherwise I get stir crazy ha.

I kind of love reddit for specific moods I'm in. Not the GB one specifically, but it's fascinating to go to a forum where EVERYONE is pretending to be the smartest person in the room.

It's a fascinating people-watching tool, but online.