I loved the GOTY process this year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YuriyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By YuriyB

Alright between here and Reddit I saw a lot of criticism on the GOTY content but I genuinely enjoyed it. I'll admit , only on GB for a bit, despite following the team back in 07-10 and the late GS/ early GB days.

Its evident the whole team in front of the camera and behind the scenes worked (really) hard and I feel like that covered my whole annual sub right there.

That's all. Thank you, and have a happy new year.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I liked it, too. With the podcasts being so damn long, I really liked the shorter personal videos. And Jeff's... WWE journey. The content complemented itself better than in the past.

And the group stuff this year was super fun. Only a couple feature length videos but they were all killer.

In the end, if this format is easier for the team, then I'm 1,000% with them doing it this way. My favorite year was the skit stuff, but that seemed super hard to put together so hey... Collectshun will always be there to revisit.

Looking forward to 2020!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

I think a healthy balance needs to be struck between whats best and easiest for the team and what produces content that GB fans enjoy.

I thought this year was kind of tame and I wasn't too hot on these individual top ten lists. It wasn't the end of the world or anything but I think it's safe to say that what most people love about GOTY content is the gang getting together and doing fun shows. The two shows we did get this year were kind of all over the place with really poor production values. We all joke about GB being unprofessional and how thats part of the charm but there is a point where the "roughness" starts to impede the enjoyment of the shows. I don't think anyone can argue that jacked audio levels with on and off tincan mics is a "fun" gimmick. Producing this stuff isn't easy I'm sure and my heart goes out to Jan who mentioned that they had technical difficulties - I myself know what it's like when a project suddenly goes belly up on your despite your best intentions. That said.. the end product is the end product. Even places with the most ardent fans like Reddit had a lot of folks being disappointed by the way things were put together so it's not just a few bad apples grumbling in the corner.

Was this year awful? No of course not. We still got some good conversations about the top games of the year. I always love hearing them go in depth about the games they really enjoyed after a year of skirting around spoilers. Was it awesome? No not really. Past years have had a lot more fun side content with more interesting categories. I'm not in love with the whole "knives out / shit on your pick" part of the discussions so I'm actually glad that is gone, but things like best music which is notoriously difficult to judge could be cut in favor of "best moment" or something similarly positive and discussion provoking.

I guess this year was like the Crackdown 3 of GB GOTY content. It was a serviceable no thrills another one of those that I still had fun listening to but thats about it.

WhiteShadow151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I enjoyed it! Though, I can't say I didn't miss all the big-group videos, and I especially missed some of the other award categories like Best Moment, Biggest Disappointment, and industry trend type ones. This being the end of the console generation AND the end of the decade seems like missed opportunities for content. There also hasn't really been much premium content for over a month? But I suppose that's to be expected with everything going on.

But hey... here's to a whole new year to look forward to!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Thought last year struck a balance of a new format with the old categories. While I wouldve liked different categories, love the discussions they produce.

I hated the 4th episode this year, doesnt seem like they even care. Felt like a old vestige that they felt compelled to do, but it wasnt worth it.

Honestly I hope they consider next year to do, the first 4 episodes are a full, year in review while the 5th is just the site top 10. They do a full talk about the game unless it's up for consideration on the 5th day like they did with Death Stranding. Talk about the game if it has great music, play some clips even, spoil the story, etc. Talk about the news, the messes, the new console releases with none of the rankings that the categories require them. Last day is the best of the best as it should be. I think the evolution of the format over the past two years should reach it's full potential.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For the first time since the first GB GOTY, I skipped some of it. In fact, I skipped most of it.

I found it uninspired and it felt like folks were going through the motions.

I’m happy to hear some folks dug it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7 chaser324  Moderator