• 80 results
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By harris

Last week as my summer break was winding down, I realized I had spent yet another summer mostly just playing games. While this is fine and all, I always tell myself I'll start doing more productive things, like making games, instead. I decided to buckle down and just make a game. I decided to make it in flash, since that would easily get me a large audience and lots of feedback, which is easy motivation to make another game in the future. Never having coded in flash, I loaded up some tutorials and tried a couple game engines. I settled on one called Flixel, and got started. Also, I decided that I was going to be done in 4 days. No more, no less. This was to limit the scope of my project and not end up with a half done large scale project.

I knew I wanted to make a platfomer from the start, because, that's just the kind of game I love. I wanted it to be challenging, but have very frequent checkpoints, too. Sort of like VVVVVV. All I needed now was a unique mechanic and a theme. For the mechanic, I decided to use rocket jumping. Who doesn't like rocket jumping? With rocket jumping being my mechanic, I decided to use a character that very closely resembles the soldier from TF2. My art skills are kind of lacking, so I decided to go for a retro aesthetic. Next time I make a game, I hope I can find an artist to work with me. That really isn't my strong suit. Making a great game requires a pretty diverse skill set, and art is one skill I definitely lack. 

Day 4 rolls around. I have a decent and very playable game, but my game is not long enough (or so I thought). By the end of the day, I was able to beat it in about 4 minutes. My goal for the game was more like 15 minutes. I do what I can, determined to stick with my 4 day plan. 

Day 5, I give the game out to some friends for testing. To my pleasant surprise, it takes them about 15 minute to beat, and they like it! I guess I had underestimated the length of the game, since I'm (predictably) pretty damn good at it. I polished the game and got it ready for distribution. 

Day 6, today. I posted the game to a few sites just an hour ago. So far it's doing pretty well! 

So I did end up slightly cheating on my 4 day limit, but I think it was worth the extra time. Overall, I had a great time making the game. Programming is one of my favorite things to do, and I love what I've made. 

Finally, here's the link so you can check it out yourself!:  http://bitwrit.com/RocketJump/ 

I'd love to hear any feedback or opinions about the game, I'll read everything. Thanks!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By harris

Last week as my summer break was winding down, I realized I had spent yet another summer mostly just playing games. While this is fine and all, I always tell myself I'll start doing more productive things, like making games, instead. I decided to buckle down and just make a game. I decided to make it in flash, since that would easily get me a large audience and lots of feedback, which is easy motivation to make another game in the future. Never having coded in flash, I loaded up some tutorials and tried a couple game engines. I settled on one called Flixel, and got started. Also, I decided that I was going to be done in 4 days. No more, no less. This was to limit the scope of my project and not end up with a half done large scale project.

I knew I wanted to make a platfomer from the start, because, that's just the kind of game I love. I wanted it to be challenging, but have very frequent checkpoints, too. Sort of like VVVVVV. All I needed now was a unique mechanic and a theme. For the mechanic, I decided to use rocket jumping. Who doesn't like rocket jumping? With rocket jumping being my mechanic, I decided to use a character that very closely resembles the soldier from TF2. My art skills are kind of lacking, so I decided to go for a retro aesthetic. Next time I make a game, I hope I can find an artist to work with me. That really isn't my strong suit. Making a great game requires a pretty diverse skill set, and art is one skill I definitely lack. 

Day 4 rolls around. I have a decent and very playable game, but my game is not long enough (or so I thought). By the end of the day, I was able to beat it in about 4 minutes. My goal for the game was more like 15 minutes. I do what I can, determined to stick with my 4 day plan. 

Day 5, I give the game out to some friends for testing. To my pleasant surprise, it takes them about 15 minute to beat, and they like it! I guess I had underestimated the length of the game, since I'm (predictably) pretty damn good at it. I polished the game and got it ready for distribution. 

Day 6, today. I posted the game to a few sites just an hour ago. So far it's doing pretty well! 

So I did end up slightly cheating on my 4 day limit, but I think it was worth the extra time. Overall, I had a great time making the game. Programming is one of my favorite things to do, and I love what I've made. 

Finally, here's the link so you can check it out yourself!:  http://bitwrit.com/RocketJump/ 

I'd love to hear any feedback or opinions about the game, I'll read everything. Thanks!

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Berezov

Fantastic job I love it, what did you use to make this?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By harris
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

...Man this is tough! lol Can't get past the part where it gives you hint of ''touching only the edge of explosion does less damage but still propels the same'' 

Oh and great work ;P 

EDIT: Ok, finally past that part now!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@harris:  just played for two minutes and i admire your work.. its really fun ! you did a good and funky job man (Y) bravo 

gonna plai sum moar nao
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By harris
@Abyssfull: Thanks! It is indeed tough! Try aiming your rockets lower.
sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sjupp
@harris: O shit.. I tried to get into this once but I gave up. You are everything I ever wanted to be! *cries*
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By harris
@Sjupp: Keep trying! It's tough at first but you'll get it sooner or later. Maybe start with something a little easier, like Stencyl. Making stuff is incredibly satisfying.
ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By ShadowVirus

That's good! 
I've actually been using flash to make games and animations for a few years now, none of them are particularly good, but I am in the middle of making something now. 
Also, the Flixel engine is what was used to make Canabalt.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Abyssfull said:
" ...Man this is tough! lol Can't get past the part where it gives you hint of ''touching only the edge of explosion does less damage but still propels the same'' "
yeah im stuck there!
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Jack268

I couldn't read the tooltips on my monitor. It's an old piece of shit though so maybe it's the monitor's fault. Fantastic work nonetheless.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By harris
@Jack268: Oops, yeah, the contrast on those were perhaps a bit lower than they should have been. Maybe I'll patch that. Here are all the tooltips, just for you (SPOILERS): 
sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sjupp
@harris: Oh sweet.. I remember sitting at home and writing super shitty games with GameMaker with a friend of mine. Whenever something comes together it feels super rewarding.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGremp

Just beat it.  Crazy fun, duder!  

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HS21

8 out of 10 hats in 10:56. Cool game duder. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora

FFFUUUUU I can't get pass that little chokepoint. >_<

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By landon

Not gonna lie, I've played better. But this was a fun distraction.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

Ok...I beat it....though I won't lie; some segments had me cursing out loud ;P Though I have a feeling that's what you were going for you cruel son ofa bitch lol

pectoral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pectoral

Pressing play and nothing happens... using Snow Leopard/Safari. Maybe that has something to do with it?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By harris
@pectoral: Yikes, that sounds bad. I will follow up with you in PM.
ry0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By ry0wn

I haven't beat it yet (stuck at the same part everyone else was; laptop), but it's amazing for a first game. I can see where you borrowed ideas from VVVVVV, but the rocket idea is original, and it's working well. I like it!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By harris
@ry0wn: Thanks! Yeah, I can imagine this being pretty hard on a trackpad. Good luck!
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

it was pretty fun man. it was a different type of game.

mexicanhatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mexicanhatboy

Pretty sweet dude, keep up the good work!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By wefwefasdf

That is pretty cool. Nice work! I wish I could do something like that. 

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

Got fed up at "The s key is your friend".

It's a pretty decent game.  It took a while to get used to both shooting myself and not caring if I die.  The frequent placement of the waypoints relieves some of the annoyance of dying so much.

My biggest complaint is that in a game where we spend so much time moving up and down, there's very little ability to see in those directions.  There were several places where it was not possible to see where I was falling, and had to memorize the pattern of input necessary for getting through the area.  I was also annoyed at how often my mouse trailed below the edge of the screen, causing the game to pause unexpectedly.  Giving us more view (especially below ourselves) would be a major improvement.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By KaosAngel

Hard to play on mouse pad, and needs TF2 music in 8bit. 

Aside from that, amazing game.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By dietmango

Great game, man. I had fun. :) Tough, but fun.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RobotHamster

Really fun game man I like it, simple concept but could be challenging.  I wish I could get that through my friends head, we're making a game but he wants to go all out with a huge plot and cutscenes and shit we shouldn't do now. But at least I get to do some modeling and practice which is all I really care about.  But I can't wait for part two.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By harris
@DragonBloodthirsty: That's an excellent point about the  verticality of the game, I'll be sure to consider that for a patch or sequel.
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Xanth93

I have to agree with DragonBloodthirsty on that one, but other than that, I had a lot of fun playing it. Great job.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ
@pectoral said:
" Pressing play and nothing happens... using Snow Leopard/Safari. Maybe that has something to do with it? "
Using the same setup, and it works fine.  

Fun little game, I must say.
Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is one of the coolest flash based games I have ever played. Great Job!

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By jorbear

Dude. That's way good. I'm really jealous now...

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Onno10

No Caption Provided
I didn't do that great...
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Jeust

Great game! Congratulations on it!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By harris

All these comments make me feel extremely fuzzy inside, thanks so much guys :'D

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Abyssfull said:
" ...Man this is tough! lol Can't get past the part where it gives you hint of ''touching only the edge of explosion does less damage but still propels the same''  Oh and great work ;P  EDIT: Ok, finally past that part now! "
Same but I like the game, I can see it being on XBL and PSN if the TC talks with Microsoft and Sony.
Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Onno10

Please make a video showing how to get the dam fez its killing me!

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jkz

Actually really awesome little game man; the first of these little flash games in a while that has really caught my attention. You took a simple little mechanic and expanded it out in a really fun way. Nice job.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Yummylee
@ISuperGamerI said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" ...Man this is tough! lol Can't get past the part where it gives you hint of ''touching only the edge of explosion does less damage but still propels the same''  Oh and great work ;P  EDIT: Ok, finally past that part now! "
Same but I like the game, I can see it being on XBL and PSN if the TC talks with Microsoft and Sony. "
Would do alright as PS Mini or an Xbox indie game, yeah.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By harris
@Onno10: Just so you know the types of hats are randomized, so the fez you are referring to may be another type of hat for someone else. I plan to make a full walkthrough video at some point. The key to most of the hats is to only touch the very edge of an explosion, so you lose very little health. You have to sort of shoot a rocket downward in mid-air and go off of the explosion. It's tricky :P
countbolkonsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By countbolkonsky

Awesome game duder. This is the best flash I have ever played. Great work!

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By hungrynun

Super addicting. I'm way into this.

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By luchadeer797

Fucking brilliant game duder, one of the best I've played in a long time. Would just say to put pause onto a button rather than clicking outside the screen in a later game/update since that lead to some annoying deaths.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

That was pretty awesome.  Gave up just after the second to last help message, though, but it was fun.  Would you mind pointing me in the direction of some of the tutorials you used starting out?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By harris
@Make_Me_Mad: Sure!  http://flashgamedojo.com/ is a good place to start. Past that, just google around for applicable Flixel or FlashPunk tutorials. A lot of the Flixel tutorials I found were out of date, though, so you may have to mess with the code a bit. Let me know if you get stuck on something, I may be able to help out.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ryax

i really dont like it. the mouse needs to move more with the screen. im trying to keep moving and rocket jumo fast but i can cuz i have to stop and line up the shot.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now if only you had made a game with zombies in it...