• 92 results
#53 Posted by SethMode (1325 posts) -

Me clicking this thread: oh this will be a mess.

Me after reading the first few posts: oh wow it's on topic and nice.

Me after someone elects to toss an unwanted grenade into the mix: that's more of what I was expecting.

#55 Posted by Efesell (3682 posts) -

I'm not aware of any MMO's made by studios that allow developers to mock players, if that's what you're after.

I mean, feel free to move to another game, but keep in mind that the makers of whatever new game you play would also fire devs that mock fans who offer polite feedback.

You should check out the Blizzard forum sometime.

I mean no actually you should not it is an awful cesspool but those Blue posts can give no fucks at all when someone is really showing their ass.

#56 Posted by konig_kei (1016 posts) -

You could've left out that little comment about why you didn't want to play gw2 and avoided this whole mess but anyway. Warframe, it's mindless and grindy and fun. Also, I don't know why but I feel like Squad fills a WvWvW sized whole for me if that's your thing.

#58 Posted by Seeric (321 posts) -

Black Desert Online has action-y combat and only requires a fairly low initial entry fee. There's honestly not much to it and it doesn't have much of any endgame to speak of so it doesn't make for a good long-term solution, but it's good if you're looking for a game where you can just relax and kill some time while bouncing between other MMO's.

I'd strongly suggest turning off or at least ignoring global chat though. It's filled with people from the most tiresome parts of the 4chan and GG crowds endlessly repeating the same handful of incredibly stale meme jokes almost 24/7. I tried out the game again after quitting for a year or so and when I came back people in global chat were still constantly making some of the same jokes as when I first played alongside a handful of new ones that got repeated dozens of times throughout the day every single day.

#59 Posted by Big_Denim (527 posts) -

Is it possible to make a new thread about the ArenaNet debate? I'm genuinely curious about some MMO replacements to GW2. Not because of the current issues but because I've been looking for an MMO for a while and GW2 was close but didn't quite capture me enough...

Warframe is good but I don't know if I'd really call that an MMORPG.

#60 Posted by SethMode (1325 posts) -

You could've left out that little comment about why you didn't want to play gw2 and avoided this whole mess but anyway.

In what universe is the OP at fault for this? His comment was completely innocuous and met with someone going on a diatribe about their opinions that were completely off topic from what the OP asked, to start a fight. Now we're here, where a fine thread was torpedoed because people apparently can't help themselves even when unsolicited.

#61 Posted by NmareBfly (168 posts) -

If Warframe counts, Destiny 2 might not be far behind. They both do fit the three criteria outlined even if they're not traditional MMO's.

Semi-comedy Eve option. If you stay in highsec it's PVE oriented!

Avatar image for theshatteredone
#62 Edited by theShatteredOne (16 posts) -

Firstly recommendation:

Warframe is love, Warframe is life. I treat it like Destiny should be treated, I jump in, binge till I am bored/exhaust content, then stop until they release content and drag me back in. Have been playing the game on and off forever, and it has just consistently gotten better over the years. Plus DE seems to be a cool company and pretty active with the fans.

Hot takes:

Jessica Price probably deserved to be fired. She has been vocally toxic pretty much her entire twitter career. If you removed all names and details from the story and boiled it down to "Someone on twitter who has their employer ON THEIR BIO vocally berates and belittles not only that companies customers but one of their community reps" that's a firing. If she had given even the slightest hint of remorse I would feel more for her, but she is somehow not responsible for any of her actions. Then IMMEDIATELY putting ArenaNet on blast probably shows what she was like to work with.

Like most I feel bad for Fries but hes a moron if he thinks twitter is their "private space". You cant eat your cake and have it too, if you want to use your employer to further your social media reach you better think long and hard about everything you type before you hit Post.

#64 Edited by boatorious (189 posts) -

@efesell said:
@boatorious said:

I'm not aware of any MMO's made by studios that allow developers to mock players, if that's what you're after.

I mean, feel free to move to another game, but keep in mind that the makers of whatever new game you play would also fire devs that mock fans who offer polite feedback.

You should check out the Blizzard forum sometime.

I mean no actually you should not it is an awful cesspool but those Blue posts can give no fucks at all when someone is really showing their ass.

There's a difference between mocking a single rude player, and mocking players who give feedback in general.

I don't know about now, but I haunted the WoW forums for years and you would not believe the astounding amount of bad game design advice that fans gave Blizzard, not to mention endless bad-faith complaints.

Yet, at no time did any dev go off on a polite commenter, call commenters sexist (in general), say the fans weren't worthy of talking to devs (in general), or rejoice that they had hurt fans "manfeels".

One of the people ArenaNet fired did all of those things in a single day.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#65 Posted by BladeOfCreation (952 posts) -

Tera is probably the most action-like MMO out there. As others have mentioned, Wildstar requires a lot of movement as well.

#66 Posted by mems1224 (2260 posts) -

@stryker1121: what terrible precedent? Not insulting paying customers and YouTube partners? Anyone at any job would be fired for publicly insulting clients.

#67 Edited by Lazyimperial (469 posts) -
@mars92 said:

I wondered how long it would take for someone like you to show up.

You don't have to agree with how Price reacted, even she admitted that she was too aggressive in her response and with more context, it seems clear that what she thought was some "asshat" talking down to her was actually someone who respected her work and just wanted to have a dialogue with her which, clearly, she wasn't interested in having. All the other stuff you mentioned trying to paint her as Satan's Bride is irrelevant. What IS relevant is that Anet reacted in the absolute worst possible. Despite being well aware of how she used social media and how outspoken she was, they never talked to her about her past behavior and never warned her that her conduct was an issue for them, they even encouraged it. Her job was to write stories, not be nice to fans and "influencers", and yet rather than meeting with her, raising the issue and finding a resolution, they fired and a co-worker that supported her. THAT sends a clear message: we care more about keeping our fans happy than we do about the health and well-being of our employees. If you don't put on a face, kiss ass and play nice or you're gone.

That fact that anyone thinks this is an appropriate way to handle a situation like this is deeply troubling.

This event has empowered the most toxic players to think that if they raise enough of a stink they have the power to remove anyone they don't like. Regardless of what you think of Price as a person, that should be unacceptable to any reasonable person.

How do you know that Arena-Net never spoke to her prior to this? Do you have access to her employee folder and any conversation documents / write-ups therein? The only info I've found after reading a half dozen or so articles is a tweet from her in which she claimed that Arena-Net told her they admired her bravery and encouraged her to "speak truth to power." I've seen no substantiation for that tweet whatsoever from Arena-Net, so even that is suspect.

Personally, I think Arena-Net handled the situation appropriately. It's one thing to be outspoken and toxic on your private Facebook page, twitter, or Instagram account. It's another thing to do so on a social media account OVERTLY tied to your position in a company. You shouldn't do that, predominantly because it conflates your views and opinions with those of your employer and, in the event that either of those is negative, could cost you your job and them a lot of good will.

She took it even further and used her social media account overtly tied to her position in a company to repeatedly attack and abuse a community member who offered a milquetoast disagreement to her stance. She then threw repeated insults at the Guild War 2 community in general along with accusations of sexism. I'd have fired her the moment I saw those tweets.

Oh, and the guy she insulted and attacked? He wasn't just a random community member. He is one of the LEAD community advocates and runs a big YouTube platform promoting Guild Wars 2. Seriously, look up his videos. They are professionally made, provide great marketing, and... oh yeah, Arena-Net doesn't pay him. He's a veritable gold-mine to a marketing & development team. Companies dream of getting customer-promoters like him, and Price lashed out at him like he was some random misogynist chump. If they hadn't fired Price, I would have questioned their CEO's competence. Jeezy Petes!

Now the other guy who tweeted in support of her? That one I question. I think he was darned by association.

Also, frankly... if I was a gaming company in general, I would never hire Price after this. Instead of admitting her unprofessional behavior, owning it, and moving on... she's doubled down and accused Arena-Net of being both a hostile place for women to work at and a cowardly organization that caved to reddit trolls (and it is neither). She's gone to every Polygon/Kotaku equivalent she can to bad-mouth the company, repeatedly failed to acknowledge her unprofessional behavior, and attempted to drag Arena-Net and Guild Wars 2 through the mud. The fact that this thread exists and that you're leaving the game because of her efforts speaks to what a liability her behavior is, and I don't envy her position right now. Finding an equivalent job in this industry is going to be a nightmarish task considering the damage that she has done to her marketability. Arena-Net will get through this and be stronger for it, with much more restrictive and detailed social media rules no doubt. Price... probably should revise her personal budgets and finances. *shrug*

But anyway, ESO is a great game and I highly recommend it. Elder Scrolls Online is an incredible experience. Just be aware that if one of their staff members goes onto a work-related twitter account and starts insulting and demeaning community advocates and players with reckless abandon, that staff member is likely to get fired too and you'll be back to square one. :-P

Edit Addition: Also, I find it confusing that people agreeing with the decision troubles you. It is much more expensive to acquire new customers than to retain them, and in the modern era most employees are going to need some modicum of customer service considering social media. If you are on social media publicly (and twitter is public. It is not a private space) representing yourself as an employee of the company and talking to paying customers and customer-promoters, then you're engaging in customer service and it better be up to par. What Price did was just egregiously careless and horrid. I'm troubled that people are trying to defend it, haha.

#68 Posted by Seeric (321 posts) -

Personally, I think Arena-Net handled the situation appropriately. It's one thing to be outspoken and toxic on your private Facebook page, twitter, or Instagram account. It's another thing to do so on a social media account OVERTLY tied to your position in a company. You shouldn't do that, predominantly because it conflates your views and opinions with those of your employer and, in the event that either of those is negative, could cost you your job and them a lot of good will.

She took it even further and used her social media account overtly tied to her position in a company to repeatedly attack and abuse a community member who offered a milquetoast disagreement to her stance. She then threw repeated insults at the Guild War 2 community in general along with accusations of sexism. I'd have fired her the moment I saw those tweets.

She did the customer service equivalent of being slightly rude to a single customer who unintentionally came off as condescending after having dealt with deliberately condescending customers every single day. Said customer then walked out the door feeling a little sad, but shrugged it off and did not file a complaint. At that point, every single other customer in the store along with a massive crowd of people who had never shopped there before decided to scream at her and file insincere complaints in the name of the person who was already long gone and back to enjoying his day. It's an absolutely absurd situation.

Also, you're sort of tripping over yourself to fantasize about ArenaNet having reprimanded her previously even though there is, to the best of my knowledge, absolutely 0 evidence of such a thing and the little evidence we do have points in the opposite direction. If you want to defend her being fired over a single tweet then by all means do so. However, if being fired over a single tweet sounds so ridiculous to you that you have to go out of your way to assume that she *must* have been reprimanded previously, then perhaps that's because what she was fired over was, in fact, ridiculous.

#69 Edited by JimmyJangles (3 posts) -

OP is right, Arena Net was wrong. You can easily see it by looking at the posts from the guy who got fired. He didn't "attack" anyone. AN failed their employees. We do know there was zero issues before this because Price said there were none. If you need your mind changed just listen to Waypoint, if you can trust and believe in Austin and Kelp then I dunno what to tell you. Don't fall for this BS move made by this company.

#70 Edited by Lazyimperial (469 posts) -

@seeric said:
@lazyimperial said:

She did the customer service equivalent of being slightly rude to a single customer who unintentionally came off as condescending after having dealt with deliberately condescending customers every single day. Said customer then walked out the door feeling a little sad, but shrugged it off and did not file a complaint. At that point, every single other customer in the store along with a massive crowd of people who had never shopped there before decided to scream at her and file insincere complaints in the name of the person who was already long gone and back to enjoying his day. It's an absolutely absurd situation.

Also, you're sort of tripping over yourself to fantasize about ArenaNet having reprimanded her previously even though there is, to the best of my knowledge, absolutely 0 evidence of such a thing and the little evidence we do have points in the opposite direction. If you want to defend her being fired over a single tweet then by all means do so. However, if being fired over a single tweet sounds so ridiculous to you that you have to go out of your way to assume that she *must* have been reprimanded previously, then perhaps that's because what she was fired over was, in fact, ridiculous.

I asked if the original poster had proof that "she had never before been reprimanded prior," which is what he claimed. I never claimed to have proof to the contrary or access to said employee folder. You're reading something into my post's intro paragraph that isn't there in the least. I asked if he had proof to back his stance. Nothing more.

Also, it was not a single post from Price. https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/07/06/two-writers-fired-from-guild-wars-2-developer-after-twitter-argument

Go and read her twitter responses to @DeriorGaming. There were a lot of them, and they were increasingly rude, accusatory, and toxic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5sDwspGgUQ

Trying to downplay Price's actions as if she made one errant tweet towards a random, single customer and was brutally, disproportionately punished is misrepresenting the situation. There were a lot more than one, the customer was actually a customer-promoter with pretty significant community clout, and she clearly crossed into unprofessional territory and set up a tent there. There is no excuse for this behavior. I'd expect a self-professed industry veteran of ten years to know better.

In this entire thread, I think @theshatteredone said it best:

"Jessica Price probably deserved to be fired. She has been vocally toxic pretty much her entire twitter career. If you removed all names and details from the story and boiled it down to "Someone on twitter who has their employer ON THEIR BIO vocally berates and belittles not only that companies customers but one of their community reps" that's a firing. If she had given even the slightest hint of remorse I would feel more for her, but she is somehow not responsible for any of her actions. Then IMMEDIATELY putting ArenaNet on blast probably shows what she was like to work with."

*shrug* Now Fries I feel sorry for. He stepped into a minefield without keeping an eye on his footing, and he paid a heavy price. If you wanted to contend that he was excessively punished, I think you'd have a better case.

#71 Posted by Mars92 (52 posts) -

I'm not engaging in this conversation again, since I didn't want to in the first place and at this point I would just be repeating myself, but I will say one last thing.

Firing someone should be the absolute last resort for any company. There are so many things you should try before jump right to termination. She didn't work at McDonald's and piss in the ice machine. She was a highly skilled professional and it is no way to run a company by jumping straight to termination because an employee did something you didn't like. Firing her is not the only disciplinary action available to then and it's shocking how many of you think it is. That's the last thing Ill say, please don't @ me, just read what I've already said and imagine I said it to you.

Anyway, I checked out ESO again and enjoyed it a lot more this time, so if there's an active GB guild I'd like to know about it. I'm also downloading TERA, Neverwinter and Defiance 2050 after Jeff mentioned it on the Bombcast, but keep your suggestions coming if a game you like hasn't been mentioned.

#73 Edited by Trilogy (3184 posts) -

You can move and attack with certain class in wow, mostly melee ones (and hunters). That's not going to change your mind, but as a 13 year WoW player, I just wanted to say that. They experimented with ranged classes being able to attack/cast on the run years ago, but it proved to be too overpowered and bad for the game, much to the chagrin of those classes.

#74 Posted by Lazyimperial (469 posts) -

@tesla said:

If a woman being rude to a customer disturbs you more than an angry mob swelling up around her; you might be a redneck.

Ad-hominem are always the best way to prove your point. ;-)

I stand by my stance. I will add one more note, though: toxicity breeds toxicity. Responding to a customer's innocuously-worded, self-professed "slight disagreement" with your stance by accusing him of being a "mansplaining" misogynist that thinks he knows better than a "female game developer," and following that up by glorying in the "hurt manfeels" of the "rando a^$hats" that think they know your business is a great way to attract the attention of internet jerks. It's lamentable that the vocal minority of jerks on the net pounced on her negativity and tripe, pouring their own vitriol into the mix. Not unexpected, but lamentable.

However, their behavior DOES NOT excuse hers. I find both reprehensible. Their behavior is why I avoid social media like the plague, and her behavior is why the company I work for has very detailed social media rules and enforcement policies. Male or female, mobbed or not mobbed after-the-fact, behavior like what she demonstrated would have resulted in a firing here. I would not contest it in the slightest. Companies have professional standards, and Price did not meet them.

#75 Posted by Lazyimperial (469 posts) -

@tesla

Also, as an additional note, nothing Derior said was remotely gendered. He's a true fan of the game and her work, and has spent an arguably inordinate amount of time promoting such said work. Price going off on that tangent towards him was an uncalled-for, bizarre turn of events. I stand by my stance. What a trippy, odd way for her to carelessly burn away company goodwill. It genuinely makes me sad to see Arena-Net under attack by the equal-but-opposite equivalent of the mob that is after Price. This is a dreary epoch.

#76 Posted by uhtaree (919 posts) -

Not sure who to side with in all this.

#77 Edited by Qrowdyy (360 posts) -

I've been following this pretty closely and here's my take:

1) Jessica Price posts a long twitter essay, talking about narrative in GW2.

2) Deroir responds with incredibly polite commentary where he disagrees with one of the points Jessica made.

3) Jessica Price reads something into Deroir's commentary that isn't there(perhaps understandably because of past experiences) and lashes out at him and others(less understandable)

4) The GW2 community sees that some their most well known/influential members are being condescended to and insulted by a dev. They are angry at the situation.

5) The community outrage at the situation leaks into the broader r/gaming community, whereupon it becomes a hot topic in the gaming community at large which sadly includes Gamergate.

6) Gamergate involvement turns the entire situation into a toxic cesspool. People start pushing for Jessica Price to be fired. People who have never played GW2 try to pressure ANet by saying things like "I was considering getting into GW2 but now I'm not going to"(ya sure bro).

7) ArenaNet caves to fan outrage and fires both Jessica Price and Peter Fries.

8) Polygon and Kotaku post "spin" articles that are blatantly trying to shape the narrative, by playing down Jessica Price's toxicity(posting edited versions of her tweets) and focusing on the firing.

9) Gamergaters feel like they've won a victory and are currently power tripping, targeting people(predominantly women) who are speaking out on behalf of Jessica Price and trying to get them fired.

I'm gonna preemptively address some points in my timeline that people might take issue with.

Why do I say that ArenaNet caved to fan outrage? Because of the firing of Peter Fries. He did nothing more than post 3-4 tweets where he defended his colleague without resorting to insults. The question is why was he fired? The only answer to that question is because the gamergate outrage machine had inextricably linked Jessica Price and Peter Fries. I'd be more inclined to believe ArenaNet's version of events if only Jessica Price was fired, because whether what she did was a firable offence is actually a matter of debate.

Why do I put Polygon and Kotaku on blast? Because, well-meaning or not, they are posting a heavily editorialized version of events where Jessica Price is a saint who's professionalism and expertise was questioned by some maladjusted nobody. DO NOT go to Polygon and Kotaku if you want to know more about the initial twitter interaction that caused all this. Instead go straight to the source.

In conclusion: What a shitshow

Avatar image for theshatteredone
#78 Posted by theShatteredOne (16 posts) -
@qrowdyy said:

9) Gamergaters feel like they've won a victory and are currently power tripping, targeting people(predominantly women) who are speaking out on behalf of Jessica Price and trying to get them fired.

And this is the part I hate the most.

#79 Posted by Turambar (8236 posts) -

Guys, if you want to have this argument, the Bombcast Video discussion section is that way.

@mars92: I'll throw my hat in the ring for Tera. Last I played it (admittedly a good 3 or so years ago), it didn't feel too grindy and had the kind of gameplay you just described.

#80 Edited by Tesla (2272 posts) -

@lazyimperial said:
@tesla said:

If a woman being rude to a customer disturbs you more than an angry mob swelling up around her; you might be a redneck.

Ad-hominem are always the best way to prove your point. ;-)

I'm not quite sure how I can attack someone when I wasn't talking to any specific person in the first place. If you feel threatened by my comment I apologize.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make with my joke is that a woman being rude to a customer is disappointing. A deluge of misogynistic garbage aimed at her is deeply troubling. There is a huge difference, and I find the notion that the two transgressions are on equal grounds to be hilariously misguided.

#81 Posted by Efesell (3682 posts) -

@qrowdyy said:

And this is the part I hate the most.

It's the part that gets lost in the rush to ascertain how you should feel about this lady being kind of rude on twitter. I think the firings are bad on the individual level but potentially more troubling is what it suggests at a larger scale.

#82 Posted by DodoBasse (86 posts) -

Uh... Destiny 2 is not bad for the stuff outlined.

#83 Posted by Mars92 (52 posts) -

@DodoBasse D2 would 100% be the game if I hadn't already done everything in that game a million times, I still jump in now and then when big updates drop.

#84 Posted by Turambar (8236 posts) -

@mars92: If you've enjoyed D2, you can also give Warframe a try.

#85 Posted by meteora3255 (644 posts) -

On topic: ESO is in a really good place right now, especially if you are a fan of Skyrim.

Off topic: I want to first say I think ArenaNet made a mistake in firing both of them. Discuss it with her, give her a clear warning and move on. If you need to have some consequences suspend her without pay for a week or two, but don't fire her.

That said, it also seems very disingenuous to say she wasn't warned. Sure, they may not have sat her down in a room and told her she was warned but I find it impossible to believe that a company the size of ArenaNet doesn't have an employee handbook with a social media policy and guidelines for interactions with partners/vendors/etc. I've worked for much smaller LLCs that have full social media policies. that employees are expected to follow. I'm sure ArenaNet can reasonably argue that she broke their outlined policy.

The more interesting thing for me is the larger context of employer/employee relations. Does ArenaNet have a right to monitor and discipline employees for posts made in personal accounts during personal time? Since she was defending work done for (and owned by ArenaNet) does that weigh more heavily since it could be construed as coming from ArenaNet?

#86 Edited by DPEP56 (35 posts) -

@qrowdyy: It's nice to see a well structured comment in here that actually looks at the entire situation. Lots of people around this made bad decisions and reporting was all over the place. I think it's also worth noting that it's hard to trust the word of a large corporation trying to protect it's bottom line, and it's hard to trust a disgruntled employee. The whole thing sucks.

#87 Posted by thegame983 (51 posts) -

KOTOR 2?

Not an MMO, but definitely a chilled RPG with a great story and turn based (ish) combat

#89 Posted by ripelivejam (12723 posts) -

Destiny 2. Close it down now thx.

#90 Posted by indure (96 posts) -

"The kindest thing I can say about Jessica Price is "I'm glad she's no longer around to keep doing harm."

Seriously in my opinion this is one of the most clear-cut cases for termination I've seen blow up in awhile. She not only went on a tirade against an avid fan and supported of hers, but she took it a step further and clearly misaccused him of sexism, which is no laughing matter in the society we live in today. In the last 2 weeks I've read 3 separate news articles of people getting fired from their jobs for mere accusations against them of discrimination (all of which happen in the people's personal lives outside of work).

But to the OP, let's say I'm completely wrong about everything. Do you really want to boycott a company with a tremendous track record of positivity that has created a game and foster a community you have loved, over a single internal firing decision that doesn't effect you or GW2 directly? Because if that is the case, good luck finding any business that doesn't also fit that bill. Seriously, every company has had scandals and arguable wrongful terminations. The few MMOs still in existence that fit your bill either have companies or publishers that are toxic. Elder Scrolls is published by Bethesda that is surrounded by questionable controversy, The Old Republic is published by EA (the most hated company in the US), Black Desert Online is published by Kakao Games (IMO makes EA look like an angel).

On a helpful note, I'll address your initial question:

Elder Scrolls is your best bet for a decently made game with a strong emphasis on PVE content. I personally don't like the game, but it is a solid experience and worth the price of admission.

The Old Republic has strong PVE content, with Bioware incorporating a solid story for an MMO. I do think it is basically WOW with a star wars skin and I don't think Bioware knows how to create a compelling open world, but it is definitely worth at least leveling up to max level in. I will say the free to play model is terrible and very limiting.

Black Desert Online has some great things working for it and is one of the best MMOs if you play very casually. The crafting and worker system is really fun and the classes are incredibly stylish and combat is amazing and action oriented. But, the game is very lonely because there is little reason to group and interactive with others. A word of caution though is that you can't take the game seriously because it has no level caps and is arguably pay to win, meaning if you are competing in endgame content against others you will stand zero chance (not low chance ... absolutely zero).

Dragons Dogma Online is great if you don't mind it being in Korean and having to jump through hoops to get it up and running. There is an American server and client that translates most things but it does take awhile to initially set-up. There's enough English speakers to form a small community. The gameplay is basically the exact same as Dragons Dogma.

Future games: There really is only Lost Ark on the near horizon. IMO the game looks great ... its top-down perspective similar to Diablo, but has lots of PVE content and amazing action oriented combat. That being said it just finished its final closed beta and is still about a 1/2 - 1 year out and we have to pray it makes it to America.

I also pray that Kingdom Under Fire 2 ever gets out of dev hell and gets release to the west. Played the Korean beta and the game was great and refreshing.

#91 Posted by JoeDangerous (506 posts) -

I'd like to throw another hat into the Warframe pile. It's the perfect mix of socializing, listening to podcasts, and always working towards something. It takes days on end for an item to finish building items, which gives you more time to gather resources to build even more items! That and there are so many frames to try out that play so differently that you could play for years off and on and only near the full grasp of what's in it.

... of course this is assuming you don't just pay money to outright buy everything. Toss a bit in if you want to support them after seeing what they have to offer (like I did after a few months of play), but try not to go overboard.

#92 Posted by Zelyre (1859 posts) -

I'm also going to toss out ESO. Girlfriend and I have been playing it for a few months. It's a lot better than it was at launch and we're still having lots of fun, despite playing pretty heavily. I've pugged a good number of dungeons as a sub 50 level and found the community there to be pretty good. However, after the Steam summer sale, I'd highly suggest turning off zone chat. It's gone from useful group requests and quest shares to political shit.

Right now, they have a week of free sub, so you'll have access to all the DLC and the crafting bag. Once the week is over, you'll lose the sub and lose access to unlimited crafting storage and some DLC areas. There's still tons to do in the base game, and if you buy a DLC like thieve's guild, you'll have it forever. For sure try to do the thieve's guild and dark brotherhood stuff now. You'll get costumes, skill points, and some abilities that you'll keep after going back to free to play.

If you're playing on PC, lemme know what your character is, level, and if you're magic or stamina user and I'll make you some gear if I've got materials.

I found Black Desert to be entertaining for a bit. But, it's really grindy. Really grindy. Also, if you don't want to PVP, at least around launch, it was forced upon you once you hit a certain level. Loot mostly revolves around gambling and using real money increases your odds.

If you're leaving GuildWars 2 over Arena.net, Wildstar is also under the NCSoft umbrella.

#93 Posted by Lukeweizer (3298 posts) -

Have you played Guild Wars 1? Might be worth checking out.

#94 Edited by Relenus (219 posts) -

While it plays almost exactly like a carbon-copy of WoW combat wise, I would heartily recommend Star Wars The Old Republic if you're looking for a PvE story-focused MMO. The last couple of expansions have been almost entirely narrative-focused and have transformed the game into something more like Diablo where it's a game that can be played start to finish single-player, or with your friends as a bonus.

#95 Posted by indure (96 posts) -

Have you played Guild Wars 1? Might be worth checking out.

Is that game still up and running and does it have an active community?

#96 Edited by Big_Denim (527 posts) -

EDIT...wrong thread, sorry.

#97 Posted by nismo (52 posts) -

Her rudeness alone would have probably been ignored, but the fact that she tried to spin it as some larger social issue after the altercation is what I think got a large portion of players to contact the company. The company's decision to fire both is perfectly reasonable when considering that one employee can potentially lop off a sizable portion of your profit. It's a business.

#98 Posted by Mars92 (52 posts) -

@zelyre I'm playing a High Elf Magic user, level 8 at the moment. The name is Alyanna Blackmyst if you want to look me up.

@indure Guild Wars 1 is still running, I jumped back into it not long ago and there's still a healthy amount of people playing. The game itself isn't in "maintenance" mode, so it gets minor tweaks and bug fixes, but no new content or major events. I think there are only 2 people at Anet actually working on that stuff, but they've actually made some significant improvements to the graphics, with modern PCs being a lot more powerful than they used to be.