I need a new naming convention

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By YI_Orange

I'm sitting here staring at the character naming screen for Devil Summoner realizing how much I suck at coming up with names. Since KotOR came out I've always just named my characters some variation of the name Darth Revan, but I've run out of ways to change it without making it sound entirely stupid. So now, I'm completely at loss as to what and how to name my character. I don't want to hate my name half way through and I don't like things that are too silly because it breaks it a little bit. In order for me to ever play a game where naming a character is required again I'm going to need a new way to come up with names.

I don't like naming characters after myself.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

Name them after characters from the Fast and the Furious series of movies.

If you run out, start using the actor's names.

Then when you run out of actors, start mixing the actor's first name with the character's last name, and vice versa.

This should last you for a while.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

I always name characters after myself because I'm an egomaniac.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By upwarDBound

I usually use common names and subtly change them if it's a fantasy type game. Ditto for sci-fi. If it's set in the contemporary world, I use regular names.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I make all my characters black and give them stereotypical black names like Darrell or Tyrone

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

I had this same problem w/Dark Souls... I ended up naming my guy Moon... he is dominant, but every time I see his name, I die a little inside

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By trylks

I choose some name from some fictional universe that matches the characteristics of the character that I'm naming.

For instance my Shepard in Mass Effect is a fierce soldier (no technology or "magic" (bionics), just brute force) and I named him Logan, after wolverine. The next one is going to be an engineer and completely sweethearted (I'm going parangon), and I'm going to name her Winry (from the Fullmetal Alchemist universe)

Just stick with whatever works.

@GloriousDinosaur: Why would you do that?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

You can't use this naming convention, but I always make sure that every single character name I make ends in -lee. Therefore, I have Finlee, Shirlee, Snuglee, Fuglee, Deflee, Chuglee, Burlee, etc etc etc.

The only exception is in any Bethesda games. My character's name is always Nadface in those.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Atlas

I take naming my characters far too seriously. I would never give a character a joke name, or a name that wasn't thematically appropriate.

Then again I'm fairly good at coming up with names. For those without this insubstantial but useful skill, I recommend you think about just how serious a character's name is to you. There's plenty of online generators than can spew out generic fantasy-style of sci-fi names; generate enough random names and you'll eventually find something you like.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By theodacourt

I made up a few names for myself that sounded more exotic than my boring name, so I've used variations on them. Theo Dacourt is one of them, Hiro Watanabe, Dante Lorenzo etc. If it's a swords and shields type game I usually choose Sedgewick.

They're all basically fantasy names for myself so I never get fed up of using them and after all, I'm imposing myself onto these blank characters anyway. Especially when I finish up, I have to go back to my name.

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chet_rippo

Name all of your characters Dumbledore. It is by far the best naming convention.

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chet_rippo

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I make all my characters black and give them stereotypical black names like Darrell or Tyrone

Hahaha actually do this.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

Claudian, Claudicus, Claudacious...

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Try applying the theme of the game to names of your friends, that's often what I do.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mutha3

@YI_Orange said:

I'm sitting here staring at the character naming screen for Devil Summoner realizing how much I suck at coming up with names. Since KotOR came out I've always just named my characters some variation of the name Darth Revan, but I've run out of ways to change it without making it sound entirely stupid. So now, I'm completely at loss as to what and how to name my character. I don't want to hate my name half way through and I don't like things that are too silly because it breaks it a little bit. In order for me to ever play a game where naming a character is required again I'm going to need a new way to come up with names.

I don't like naming characters after myself.

Just name him Raidou Kuzunoha! Hell, I'm pretty sure that's actually canon going off that terrible devil summoner manga that came out. Does make that opening scene a little silly, though(He's supposed to be casting aside his old name and all..)

But, yeah, I hate assigning names to videogame characters. I usually either take a generic name based on the character's background or the setting and just roll with it.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By bjorno

Just do what every real man does, name your character COCKSMITH.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GunslingerPanda

If I play female, I name them Cumdumpster. So now my friends hate me because their hard drives are full of lovely ladies with that name.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous
Bahahahahaha
sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By sanchopanza

@ajamafalous said:

Bahahahahaha

My reaction exactly lol

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss

Weed bro.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ViciousReiven

For RPGs I tend to pop open the manual anf look at the names of the Asian dudes who made it and find one I like.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By willin

Ever since the World of Warcraft name generator I've always named my male characters 'Willin' and all my female characters 'Seydeen'.