I need help choosing a video card

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By JB16

Okay my ATI Radeon hd 4850 is completely toast and it burnt out my PSU unit. So I need to get another one, I need a video card that's as good or slightly better than the ATI Radeon 4850, can run on a 400W PSU unit and is around or less than $120.00.

So far I'm looking at the ATI Radeon 5770, but I'm open for any other suggestions.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but, I think the first step would be getting a higher wattage PSU :( You're really backing yourself into a corner with only 400W.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JB16

@BeachThunder said:

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but, I think the first step would be getting a higher wattage PSU :( You're really backing yourself into a corner with only 400W.

Probably, but my 4850 was doing pretty weel with an old 300W PSU unit for over 2 years. Then all of a sudden it wasn't enough.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

Apart from what BeachThunder said, which is very true, the 5770 is a pretty dated card at this state. Even if you ran it in SLI, you'd still get a far better experience by dropping some more money on a newer, single card.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JB16

@Azteck: Graphics don't really matter to me and I'm going to be playing these games on a 1280X1024 resolution so it's not like I'm going to be pushing the 5770 to its limits if I get it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

@JB16 said:

@BeachThunder said:

Probably, but my 4850 was doing pretty weel with an old 300W PSU unit for over 2 years. Then all of a sudden it wasn't enough.

Keep in mind that power supplies can have short lifespans, especially cheaper PSUs.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Blinck

Whatever you do, do NOT buy an ATI.

I've made this mistake twice. ATI will give you much more problems with games then an Nvidia card. Stick to the green side mate.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

@Blinck said:

Whatever you do, do NOT buy an ATI.

I've made this mistake twice. ATI will give you much more problems with games then an Nvidia card. Stick to the green side mate.

As someone that had a 4870 for almost two years I will disagree. ATI had one big blunder this year which wasn't their fault, that being RAGE which was just a shoddy product seemingly not tested on ATi hardware at all. But who cares about ID anyway, haven't made a good game since Quake III.

I've never had any problems with a graphics card. I'm on the NVIDIA side at the moment.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By McGhee

Get the one with the hot robot lady on it.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By destruktive

@BeachThunder said:

@JB16 said:

@BeachThunder said:

Keep in mind that power supplies can have short lifespans, especially cheaper PSUs.

PSU's get worse over the years as well. I had a 550W and all the sudden my computer would crash if I did more then surf the web.

If you get something like a 750W it will last for a long time even if it starts outputting less. Gives you more room for deterioration

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By rb_man

Well I have had a HD 5770 for about a year and it can pretty play any thing I throw at it at 1920x1080 and a max setting. The one thing I can tell you is don't cheap out in the power supple is the heart of your PC it can even fry the hole rest of your computer get a good one that's about 550w it gives you more then you need and room to grow if needed.