I simply can't decide between DS and PSP!

luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By luffylol

I can't decide between them. I am living in a college now, with no consoles, so I would like to get a handheld.

Mainly I am interested in single player games with good stories, aswell as fun online multiplayer versus games(I don't really play co-op)

There are numerous cool looking games for either system, but what about the future? the two kingdom hearts games for example, or the up-coming final fantasy games!? a new zelda? devil may cry for PSP? I should really wait until TGS to make up my mind, but I am just wondering, because I really want a game system now.

I like games with great stories, with nice voice acting and writing and cut scenes, and online games were you can make your character and fight other people. Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Zero both looks cool, but I heard they have no online multiplayer, only local!
Animal crossing, while no fighting, looks really cool because its almost like an MMO on the go. you can just work on your character whereever you are.!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My advice would be wait until TGS, I know you must be really desperate to buy something but you're decision will affect all the handheld games you play for the next few months if not years. Failing that you could attempt to make a DS-PSP hybrid by sellotaping a PSP to a touch-screen PDA.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

The PSP sounds a little more like what you're looking for, with stronger online offerings and a much larger selection of story-driven RPGs (most of them are jRPGs). It's also much more like a console than a DS, which is probably better for you since you don't have access to a full one. It also has more games with voice acting, which is something the DS doesn't have a heaping ton of.

That's what I'd recommend, anyway. It's not as portable as the DS (in the sense of people don't like to have it in their pockets usually), although a backpack negates that criticism.

I think you'd enjoy either option though. In the end, it's a personal decision. I'm not telling you what to buy.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

From what you have said I would recommend the PSP. It will be able to satisfy your online desires more than the DS and it has a pretty decent library of story-driven games and a decent backlog of games for new owners. Though I would still wait until after TGS to really make any kind of decision.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shadows_kill

everyone i know that has a psp doesn't even use it for games. its there mp3 player and pics etc. ds has better games and to me better rpgs and jrpgs. and this dsi  will have a camra on it and music(i think :S). world ends with you has to be the best portable game to come out in a long time and its only on ds.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By shotaro

The PSP sounds like the right choice for you - the Wii has little (if anything - I don't recall seeing a Wii cutscene) voice acting in general but tends to have the more quirky, original games - meanwhile the PSP tends to have a broader scope simply because you can cram more onto a UMD cart

luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By luffylol

Yeah I know.

I just think its hard.

Choosing between Kingdom Hearts Birth by sleep and the Kingdom Hearts DS game for example! Both look good? FF3 and FF4 on DS, in glorious 3D or FFT and FF7 spin off on PSP?

I am not so much interested in classic platform games like mario or psp ones like Daxter or Clank.

I think Animal Crossing looks cool. you can make your own characters and play online! resistence retribution also looks solid. I hope you can design your own character aswell!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
luffylol said:
"Yeah I know.

I just think its hard.

Choosing between Kingdom Hearts Birth by sleep and the Kingdom Hearts DS game for example! Both look good? FF3 and FF4 on DS, in glorious 3D or FFT and FF7 spin off on PSP?

I am not so much interested in classic platform games like mario or psp ones like Daxter or Clank.

I think Animal Crossing looks cool. you can make your own characters and play online! resistence retribution also looks solid. I hope you can design your own character aswell!"
There are also the two original FF ports on PSP, along with a heaping ton of other things. The World Ends With You is a good game, but not the best.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By CharleyTony

If you have a pc and what some people call the INTERNET.. then get both portables and after a day or 2 of having both and not having any games because you are a student and strapped for cash, simply browse that internet thing and you are bound to "stumble" upon a couple of websites that "might" tell ou of a way to "get games for a considerable discount of a out 100% of their retail price".

Thats the word on the streets...

But as always dont believe rumors ....

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

lol...You seem to be the most torn person ever. You say one thing and then I think "Well he'll definitely want a DS" ...then I read what you say next and it changes to "Well maybe a PSP would be better for him". I think you should just watch what happens at TGS and go with your gut feeling. I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
CharleyTony said:
"If you have a pc and what some people call the INTERNET.. then get both portables and after a day or 2 of having both and not having any games because you are a student and strapped for cash, simply browse that internet thing and you are bound to "stumble" upon a couple of websites that "might" tell ou of a way to "get games for a considerable discount of a out 100% of their retail price".

Thats the word on the streets...

But as always dont believe rumors ...."
Fuck off. Nobody advocates for deliberate, selfish piracy here.
luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By luffylol

With both PSP 3000 and DSI announced I am further torn. However, it seems that there will be a long time until DSI comes to europe. hmmm...

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZeroCast

It's really a question of what your looking for, if you like to see a couple of videos on the go and play games at the same time then your better off waiting for the PSP 3000, on the other hand, if your looking for a great selection of games but not so good in terms of graphics then your good to go with the DS Lite, unless of course you can wait a year for the DSi, assuming Nintendo is eyeing a holiday 2009 launch in the U.S.( or Europe).

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
ZeroCast said:
"It's really a question of what your looking for, if you like to see a couple of videos on the go and play games at the same time then your better off waiting for the PSP 3000, on the other hand, if your looking for a great selection of games but not so good in terms of graphics then your good to go with the DS Lite, unless of course you can wait a year for the DSi, assuming Nintendo is eyeing a holiday 2009 launch in the U.S.( or Europe).
"
Great selection of games as opposed to what, the PSP?
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZeroCast
Jayge said:
"ZeroCast said:
"It's really a question of what your looking for, if you like to see a couple of videos on the go and play games at the same time then your better off waiting for the PSP 3000, on the other hand, if your looking for a great selection of games but not so good in terms of graphics then your good to go with the DS Lite, unless of course you can wait a year for the DSi, assuming Nintendo is eyeing a holiday 2009 launch in the U.S.( or Europe).
"
Great selection of games as opposed to what, the PSP?"
Yeah the PSP.
luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By luffylol

ok. If I am just looking for the very best single player stories... deep and complex games, with an emotional attatchment!?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
luffylol said:
"ok. If I am just looking for the very best single player stories... deep and complex games, with an emotional attatchment!?"
Probably the PSP's RPG selection, mainly. There are also some good shooters with stories (Syphon Filter), the GTA ports, Dead Head Fred's unique hilarity, and a ton of others.
PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By PitifullPete

The DS really excels at giving you unconventionally designed games. So if your looking for something different, go for the DS - it has a huge spectrum of different types of games.
PSP is for more "powerful" games in terms of graphics and data related stuff in general (voice acting).
But you really sound like you should get a "real" console anyway ;). Because I don't think handhelds can deliver what your looking for. Maybe even go for a PS2 or  Xbox if price difference is a huge issue - because they will come with a huge library of big scoped emersing games.

diamond2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By diamond2d
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail
diamond2d said:
"

PSP!

"
You mind telling us why or do you have fun raising your post count?
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By gla55jAw

i have a psp, i basically got it for FF7 Crisis Core, which I beat in 3 days (and was amazing migth I add) other than that I played final fantasy tactics for a few weeks (i beat the original), valkyrie profile lenneth for a few, and a few other games, but mostly i play street fighter alpha max 3 every once in a while. althought I havn't turned on my psp since august. I'm pumped for the star ocean remakes.

I had a DS Lite a while ago and got rid of it because there was nothing i wanted to play. Although the FF and Dragon Quest remeakes almost made me get one again.

I'd go with a PSP for the RPG's it has.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"PSP is great for multimedia. If you can understand how to mod a psp properly (which I have done) it can do amazing things like download psp games or roms for snes-n64. Only works for the original psps though, not slims because the mod needs the normal sized battery. For the DS I have an r4 chip which is good because I never have to buy a game again. Sometimes you can get games online before they come out in us. Final Fantasy IV European rom was released like a week or 2 before it came out in America. Whats good about the PSP is the music stuff, you can set up an rss feed straight to something like the Giant Bombcast and if you have wifi you can access the list from the psp and it plays like an mp3 file."
Advocating piracy is strictly disallowed in the TOS, bro.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"PSP is great for multimedia. If you can understand how to mod a psp properly (which I have done) it can do amazing things like download psp games or roms for snes-n64. Only works for the original psps though, not slims because the mod needs the normal sized battery. For the DS I have an r4 chip which is good because I never have to buy a game again. Sometimes you can get games online before they come out in us. Final Fantasy IV European rom was released like a week or 2 before it came out in America. Whats good about the PSP is the music stuff, you can set up an rss feed straight to something like the Giant Bombcast and if you have wifi you can access the list from the psp and it plays like an mp3 file."
Advocating piracy is strictly disallowed in the TOS, bro."
I have no idea what you are talking about. I never wrote something like that? You Crazy
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shotaro
MasturbatingBear said:
"Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
Advocating piracy is strictly disallowed in the TOS, bro."
I have no idea what you are talking about. I never wrote something like that? You Crazy"
the r4 chip is illegal mate because it is used to pirate DS games. as are roms especially when you talk about putting them on a modded PSP
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MasturbatingBear

uhhh yeeaaahh. My bad? lets just end this discussion

imHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By imHunt

Hmm, well if you are looking for a portable game system then the PSP isn't really the best choice. It's not because the system can't be taken with you on the go, but because a lot of the games aren't designed for portable systems. Resistance, GTA, Ratchet N Clank, etc. just don't seem like pick up and play type of games. With that said, I'd somewhat agree that the PSP has pretty good games some of which contain great stories. The DS has it's share too, but maybe less than the PSP (Though maybe not).

The DS is getting many RPG remakes and has a good amount of new RPGs as well. The PSP has some too, determine which you want and base your purchase on the games. The PSP offers plenty of 'bells and whistles', but if the games are what inspire your purchase, don't base it on those qualities.

With that said, I bought both a little after their respective launch dates (meaning I know plenty about both systems). The DS doesn't have very advanced online capabilities, but the local wireless play is top notch. On the other hand the PSP has excellent Online play. They are both fun systems and the PSP is a technical feat, but I prefer the DS for its Mario games and the little puzzle games that come out for it (OH, and the RPG remakes! FFIV Woot!). Do your research and choose the system with the games that you want to play. Sounds like PSP to me, cause you seem to want a minature console imo.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MasturbatingBear

oh yeah. I fucking almost forgot. They are remaking Chrono Trigger for the ds! they say its coming in november but that sounds like a fucking load of fucking bullshit to me because we have barely heard anything on it.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Don't try to hide it, it's obvious that you posted this.

I'd recommend getting a PS2, though, if you don't already have a console.  Unless the portability is a big factor for you, I'd say that a PS2 is the way to go.  There's some great games, it's cheap, and you should be able to find many games easily.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MasturbatingBear
MisterSpiffy said:
"Don't try to hide it, it's obvious that you posted this.

I'd recommend getting a PS2, though, if you don't already have a console.  Unless the portability is a big factor for you, I'd say that a PS2 is the way to go.  There's some great games, it's cheap, and you should be able to find many games easily."
Are you a fucking moron? clearly what i said was a joke( the I didnt say anything part) obviously i posted it moron please dont post unless you have some basic grasp of knowledge.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MasturbatingBear
MisterSpiffy said:
"Don't try to hide it, it's obvious that you posted this.

I'd recommend getting a PS2, though, if you don't already have a console.  Unless the portability is a big factor for you, I'd say that a PS2 is the way to go.  There's some great games, it's cheap, and you should be able to find many games easily."
Are you a fucking moron? clearly what i said was a joke( the I didnt say anything part) obviously i posted it moron please dont post unless you have some basic grasp of knowledge.
luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By luffylol

psp games like Star Ocean looks really interesting, but then again, the DS have other stuff aswell like the world ends with you. some very uniqe and cool stuff. I really dont want two handhelds.