I still don't understand why Halo receives scores of 10s and 9s?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dogoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dogoo

Yeah I now understand that the reason a lot of people play Halo is because its simple and streamlined but I still don't understand why a lot of "professional" reviewers score Halo nines and tens. They praise Halo as if its one of the greatest games ever {dear god it isn't} and as if it was created by the hands of god. I mean the multiplayer and co-op for these games are fun but the campaign is done right poor. Even Yahtee didn't know why Halo 3 was so highly reviewed by "professional" and actually saw how the campaign in Halo 3 was; average.

I mean look at the average rating it has gotten from metacritic:

Halo Combat Evolved has a 97 {Way too high}
Halo 2 has a 95
Halo 3 has a 94

Really? It really gets scores that high? Halo really deserves scores of 5, 6 {which is the score I give it}, 7, or 8 but its definitely not a 9 or a 10.

Why does Halo gets such high scores?

Are they being bribed or they easily fall for the hype? Have they play any decent shooter before Halo?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't understand it, either. My best guess was a conspiracy theory.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Rargh! Who gives a fuck? Some people like it, some don't. I'm sick of seeing these threads everywhere! They're pointless...

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

cause the games are good...?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

What are the chances this is the guy who was creating multiple accounts to troll Halo here?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
WilliamRLBaker said:
Not exactly. I think this game was made as some sort of distraction to all the conspiracy theorists (fake moon landing, 9/11, JFK assassination, Hindenburg, etc.) :P.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson
Diamond said:
What are the chances this is the guy who was creating multiple accounts to troll Halo here?
Really high? I don't think he understands how pathetic he is and that no one gives a toss...
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
Video_Game_King said:
WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not exactly. I think this game was made as some sort of distraction ... [more]
I see that every Halo thread made you come in and start saying these stupid ass things. This makes me go straight to the conclusion of "cough"troll"cough"

Get over it dude, the games are good and people like them, people don't. You have 0 credability when it comes to Halo btw, you have only played 3 and complained about not understanding the story...that's just moronic if I do say so myself.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Babble
dogoo said:
Yeah I now understand that the reason a lot of people play Halo is because its simple and streamlined but ... [more]
Stop making new accounts, it got old the second time.
Spacemuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Spacemuffin

You say this as though this is a new idea. While I do agree with you to some degree, I think it deserves better than a five or a six, but do you honestly think anyone else is still willing to discuss this right now?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

It came out two years ago. Seriously, get over it. This topic would have been better a few months after it's release. But two years? Your argument is automatically invalid.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
CL60 said:
Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not exactly. I think this game was made as some sort ... [more]
No, they're not good. At least Halo 3 isn't. (I haven't played the others.) And keep in mind that the conspiracy thing I mentioned was a joke, even if the game isn't that good, really. (If I may point it out, possible grammar error.) And how do I have 0 credibility? I've played other FPSes before and after Halo 3 and liked quite a few of them, so I definitely have something to compare it to. Besides, I'd like to think that I justified my opinion well (at least in the original part). Complain about my lack of understanding the story if you want, but keep in mind that there are tons of games out there that don't rely on the previous games in their respective series for complete understanding of that particular game (Fire Emblem 4, Call of Duty 4, Star Ocean 2, the entire Final Fantasy series, most of the Metroid series, etc.), so why can't I expect this of this game?
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Seriously, dude. Every week there's a post like this on Giantbomb. It is so ridiculous. It's really leading me to the conclusion that all of these Halo haters are freaking idiots.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Don't feed the troll.

..well, ok, just a little.

*throws M&M's*

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By vidiot
dogoo said:
Yeah I now understand that the reason a lot of people play Halo is because its simple and streamlined but ... [more]
It deserves a 5 or a 6? Your opinion overrules other peoples opinions absolutely?

You a have good argument...somewhere...in that post. Let me tell you, bringing up Yahtzee's thoughts as one of your sole reasons, and spamming the boards with multiple accounts is not going to accomplish...anything.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
TheGreatGuero said:
Seriously, dude. Every week there's a post like this on Giantbomb. It is so ridiculous. It's really leading me to ... [more]
Hey, I resent that sentiment! *goes back under bridge :P*
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE
WilliamRLBaker said:
Nope. They're shit.
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Discorsi

No Caption Provided

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Megalon

Sigh, another thread about this? 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
Video_Game_King said:
CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not exactly. I think this game was made as ... [more]
That has to be the stupidest thing I've heard you say yet....that's like saying all movie trilogys suck because you went into the last one of the series and didn't understand the story. Lets take a look, Final Fantasy (Not direct sequels disregarding FFX-2) Call of Duty (not direct sequels). Seriously...think before being a stupid..and you did not do anything to convince me you are not stupid, in your original "lets bash halo thread" you said, you sucked at the game, so the game sucked ( you didn't know how to use the deployable cover even...you press X for fuck sakes...) You say the multiplayer the worst thing ever...yet you admit to never even playing it..the story thing of course..etc.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Matfei90

While I agree Halo shouldn't have earned above a 9 (7.5-8.5 range for the second two), I can understand why the first was so well praised, as it was something new for those exclusively on consoles which they'd not experienced before.

But I feel 2 & 3's scores were forced as if 'Oh, it's Halo, we need to give it a high score'.

Edit: Keep in mind I've played/owned all three titles to completion, and I still enjoy Halo 3 for what it is, I'm just saying I think the scores seem a little forced.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By fr0br0

I was worrying I wasn't going to be able to get my fix of "Halo is overrated" discussion for the day. Thank you for making sure I didn't go malnutritioned...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
CL60 said:
Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not exactly. I think this game was ... [more]
Final Fantasy: exactly. That's why they have been as accessible as they are.
Call of Duty: OK, didn't know that, fair enough.
What of the others? Moving on...

Eh? I said I sucked at the game? I'll go back and see if you are right. *checks* Yikes, quite a bit fanboyish (in attitude, not in belief). I can see where the sentiment is coming from. But still, I believe Halo 3 is not a good game. Good ideas (for other games, mind you), just couldn't pull them off in this game. (And yes, I never figured out how the hell to use deployable cover, but doesn't the fact that I made it through the game without once needing to use it speak to how insignificant it is? If I could get through all of Legend of Zelda without the bow, then the bow wouldn't be considered an important element, would it? Yes, I know, different genre, but the basic concept is what matters: if I don't use an item often and encounter no problems as a result of such, then the item must not be important to the game itself.)
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGreatGuero said:
Seriously, dude. Every week there's a post like this on Giantbomb. It is so ridiculous. It's really leading me to ... [more]
TheGreatGuero said:
TheGreatGuero said:
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
Video_Game_King said:
CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not exactly. I think this ... [more]
Play the game on legendary using the same shitty tactics...you will fail immensely, how about you stop playing games on easy than saying they are too easy..please..you fail really bad..and so pretty much you just don't like anything that is a direct sequel to anything because if you watch the last one you will not understand?...sigh...seriously...you fail..really badly...
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
CL60 said:
Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not exactly. I ... [more]
Again, if I play a game, I play it on Normal mode, mainly because it's called Normal mode. As in "the difficulty we expect you to play this game on with default settings" mode. And the only time I play a game on Easy if the only two difficulties are Easy and Hard. *reads last part* I don't understand your wording at all. (And come on! I admitted some humility, and you call me a failing fanboy regardless. What the hell?)
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By RandomHero666
Hitchenson said:
Rargh! Who gives a fuck? Some people like it, some don't. I'm sick of seeing these threads everywhere! They're pointless... [more]
This.. and to anyone on the Halo-Hate Bandwagon, aren't people entitled to have an opinion?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
Video_Game_King said:
CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are good...? Not ... [more]
Whats to not understand? What you are pretty much saying is anything that has sequels suck because if you watch/play the last one in the series it doesn't make sense. Which is completely moronic, point is you barely played any of the game at all, you suck complete donkey nuts at it and say it sucks because of 3 main reasons...you suck at it, you didn't understand the story because you never played the other ones.."sigh", you barely played it..clearly.. It's retarded. You are just one of the flocks of people who like to join the bandwagon of "LAWL HALO SUCKS AND IS THE WORST GAME EVER LULZ!"

Pretty much every one of your "arguments" is severely flawed. I would be fine with you disliking the game if you didn't come up with the stupidest reasons ever.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King
CL60 said:
Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the games are ... [more]
No, everything from "and so, pretty much..." on. And I'm not saying that of ALL sequels. Keep in mind that I just gave you several examples of sequels that don't require some prior knowledge of games in the series. In this one case, it is required that you have played the games beforehand, and it suffers for that. Example: what game will sell more if both games are on equal footing: the game that continues a long and complex story from previous games, or the one that begins one on its own?

Moving onto the other argument (which you will no doubt call flawed).....which seems to be nothing more than ad hominem......moving onto the other other argument, what do you mean by "barely played it?" I put it in my machine, I pressed buttons for several non-consecutive hours, I saw the ending where Master Chief dies or something and they have a funeral, what more could you want of me? And keep in mind that I explicitly said that Halo 3 is not the worst game ever. It's not even close to Cyborg Justice.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60
Video_Game_King said:
CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: cause the ... [more]
Get off of your whole suffers from having a story thing, it's the stupidest argument you have...it doesn't even make sense...and look at that...you didn't even spend the time to wait a little bit and see the actual ending....and yes you barely played it, you say the multiplayer sucks when you never even touched it at all and you have no idea how to play.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By StarFoxA

You see, there's this thing called an "opinion..."

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King
CL60 said:
Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: WilliamRLBaker said: ... [more]
It does not suffer from having a story; it suffers from having a story that requires you to play the previous games in the series. If something has to rely on something else to be good, it will not be as good as something that does not have to rely on something else. But I'll move onto the other arguments. Like how I didn't see the entire ending. What else is there? I remember that, the credits (don't remember whether or not I could skip them, but it was probably yes), and getting an achievement that told me that I beat the game. If the game tells me I beat it, what else is left to say? And finally, I say the multiplayer can't be good enough to justify the rest of the game because there are intrinsic problems with the whole system. For example, let's say there's a fighting game people say is bad. Yes, I'm comparing an FPS to a fighting game, but only because the latter genre is very well known for its multiplayer.

Anyway, people say that the fighting game (let's call it Super Death Fight) sucks for several reasons. However, they say that the multiplayer is completely different from the single player, but I don't buy that. After all, you're playing the exact same game, only it's against a person instead of a CPU. Sure, problems like poor AI or atrocious voice acting may no longer be present, but Super Death Fight still suffers from poor controls, confusing moves, and copious slowdown. I know, a long-winded argument, but I hope this clears up what I'm talking about, even though it will probably be called (by you) a fanboyish argument in denial of the fact that Halo 3 is the Supreme Ultra Mega God of all gaming and those who don't recognize this are heathens.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@Video_Game_King: I played Halo 3 first before the others and the story is quite easy to understand. Unless you skipped all the cutscenes and didn't listen to any of the audio... Besides, it is a god damn sequel.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#36  Edited By LordAndrew

Video_Game_King said:

It does not suffer from having a story; it suffers from having a story that requires you to play the previous games in the series.
As do many games. If the story makes no sense to you just ignore the story, or make an attempt to learn more about it.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CL60
Video_Game_King said:
CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: ... [more]
Yeah, I'm done with you, don't bother responding, you are way to moronic to even speak too. Yes the ending was not Master Chief dying and the funeral...leads me to believe what Agnogenic just said to be honest. Saying stupid shit like a game can't have a story if you can't understand it is ridiculously stupid and it's stupid to say multiplayer sucks when you have not played it. I remember in another thread you said you wanted to be a reviewer or something? Well yeah, good luck with that being such a moron...you will fail hardcore in that business judging by how you talk about this.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King
Agnogenic_delete said:
@Video_Game_King: I played Halo 3 first before the others and the story is quite easy to understand. Unless you skipped ... [more]
I tried to, but I couldn't really understand it. Sorry.

LordAndrew said:
Video_Game_King said:It does not suffer from having a story; it suffers from having a story that requires you to play ... [more]
Still, it really hurts a game when it is or claims to be story based. Part of the reason why I didn't like The 7th Saga or (the story in) Half Life 2. (I blame myself for that last one, though.)
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By StarFoxA
Video_Game_King said:
Agnogenic_delete said: @Video_Game_King: I played Halo 3 first before the others and the story is quite easy to understand. Unless ... [more]
Half-Life 2 doesn't require knowledge of the previous game.
S53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By S53

The Halo Trilogy is the most overrated gaming series of all time. We all know it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King
CL60 said:
Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: ... [more]
Tee-hee, look what I did. And I got that impression from the ending. They got on the ship, Master Chief had to hang onto a lone piece of internal architecture Cid Highwind style, and then a bunch of soldiers were standing next to a decorated metal wing. And may I bring up the other argument I said? If two modes share certain elements and those elements aren't that good, then both modes will suffer because of those elements. If I don't like Toejam & Earl single player (I did, but that's not the point), why would I enjoy it if another person is playing? And again, ad hominem. Maliciously cruel ad hominem that really, really hurts, but still.....
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
StarFoxA said:
Video_Game_King said: Agnogenic_delete said: @Video_Game_King: I played Halo 3 first before the others and the story is quite easy to ... [more]
Yea, I know that, but again, I blamed myself for that one. I ignored the story because I was under the impression that the lack of cutscenes meant the game wouldn't pressure the tale on me so much. Not the case, didn't like the story, liked many of the other elements (except trying to hit those giant spiderbot thingies with the sticky bombs. TOO DAMN HARD!!! URGH!!!!).
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fishinwithguns

I don't really understand what made Halo so popular in the first place, or why it got so many non-gamers interested in playing it when there were several other better FPSes like it (maybe better marketing?).  But I do admit it's still fun to play and it's one of the few games I wouldn't consider trading in.  I would say COD4 was a better FPS on several different levels, but for some reason it got old quicker than Halo did.  I traded that game in, but still have Halo 3.

I myself didn't really see why Fallout 3 got unanimously positive reviews, but I didn't let it bother me.  You can't argue against someone's opinion, it's not like you're going to convince a Halo player that his enjoyment is irrational and that he shouldn't ever play it again.  You can make some allegation that Microsoft is a huge evil corporation and bribed these people to give it a good review or something, but is it really so hard to believe that so many people enjoyed it if you didn't?  I don't understand why American Idol is so huge, but that's not going to stop my mom from inviting friends over every Tuesday to watch it.  But aren't people pretty much done with talking about how great Halo is anyway?  Strange to hate on it now since Halo 3 came out quite a while ago and all the media praise has long since blown over.

And my avatar is only Master Chief by default, I'd prefer to have Megaman or something but I don't feel like finding or editing a pic to an adequate size.  And yea, I admit there are many games better than Halo.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#44  Edited By Vinchenzo

Secretly, Bungie runs every location that reviews video games. Then, as you might figure, it was easy to "fix" the scores.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By RHCPfan24

My, another troll thread. I hate seeing these continuously pop up. QUIT WITH THE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS!!

needforswede said:
I don't really understand what made Halo so popular in the first place, or why it got so many non-gamers ... [more]
Here at the Bomb, you don't have to have extremely specific dimensions for an avatar. As long as it isn't too small, you should be set. So, Google search away.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Expletive

let me state this a clearly as I can, so you don't get confused. 

GET THE FUCK OUT OF OUR COMMUNITY, YOU FUCKING TROLL!
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Wow, did you just say that Halo possibily deserves a 5?  Hell, mediocre generic shooters deserve more than that.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Absurd

I've only played Combat Evolved and I couldn't get into, and like it was said on the bombcast, you shouldn't force yourself to play a game.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By torus

Halo isn't a BAD game per-se. It's just not great. Aside from a few modest innovations (the gameplay films, the  matchmaking), and a gamepad control system that works fairly well, Halo doesn't do anything new. The gameplay is extremely similar to other, better games (Unreal Tournament series), which it borrows an enormous amount from (vehicle and weapon functionality) . The maps are reasonably good, the sound and visuals are decent (although somewhat 'lifeless' in my opinion), and there are a massive number of players. The story and campaign is painfully mediocre. All this has been said before, of course.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe how aggressive some of the people in this thread are. Saying a man's opinion is wrong because it goes against your own is ridiculous. That goes for both sides.