User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By TheChaos
@rubberluffy said:
"
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
          Shadow Hearts 1 and 2. "
I was gonna post this suggestion. 
Really great games. Avoid the 3rd game though, it's the ugly duckling of the series and nobody likes it....for good reason.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Turambar
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Shadow

I can't speak to its quality, but Resonance of Fate just dropped price to $30 at gamestop

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By eldestrisk
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Xeiphyer
@RockmanBionics said:

" To bad about the randomly generated dungeons part, otherwise this might've entertained for the better half of its 100 hours: 

Actually took me 131 hours, but I'm pretty slow. "
That video is quite clearly Dark Cloud 2, why does it say Dark Chronicle? o_o Is that the UK name?

Also, awesome awesome game.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#58  Edited By Icemael

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

I checked this Resonance of Fate game out, and it seems cool. The environments are amazing (if a bit repetitive -- at least judging by the footage I've seen), and the combat looks like a lot of fun. I might get it. 

@McPaper said: 

" Grandia if you dont mind sprites on 3D planes. "

I actually have a copy of that, but it's an NTSC one, so I can't play it. Maybe I'll order a copy of the PAL version. 

@NekuSakuraba said: 

" Just curious to why you wouldn't like it when it fits a lot of what you listed? "

The controls (and, consequently, the combat system) are garbage, the voice acting and writing make me want to rip my ears out, and the game is ugly even for a PS2 title.
rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By rubberluffy
@TheChaos: 
I like the third game.  It IS a good game, but not so much a good Shadow Hearts game.  It just takes the absurdness of the previous two games and kicks it up a few too many notches.  I mean come on, a giant talking cat who is a master of drunken kung fu and a wannabe movie star and is also a good friend of Al Capone is a lot weirder than having a gay vampire superhero wrestler like in Covenant (who is also AWESOME).
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Icemael said:   
 @NekuSakuraba
 said: 

" Just curious to why you wouldn't like it when it fits a lot of what you listed? "

The controls (and, consequently, the combat system) are garbage, the voice acting and writing make me want to rip my ears out, and the game is ugly even for a PS2 title. "
2 improved on a lot of it.  You shouldn't get it though since you disliked the first one and 2 is a refinement to the first.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Animasta

if you're looking for another one, try out Nier; one of the best JRPG stories this generation, hell, one of the best stories this generation full stop.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#62  Edited By gla55jAw
Rogue Galaxy! While it does have random encounters I got lost in the weapon customization side stuff. You can level up your weapons then combine it with another leveled weapon to create a new weapon and start the whole process over. You can do that with all the characters! You control you character during battle in real time and can issue abilities to party members with button presses that pop up when they can do the ability or use magic. A great cell-shaded style for PS2. I love it.

If you want to go newer others have already mentioned Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia which have random battles, but you control the main character in real time during battles. Lost Odyssey is a great game too but is turned based.

As for portable, someone said Crimson Gem Saga, but while I liked it a lot, it takes too much of your time to grind for $ and is completely turn based.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By csl316

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmera for the PS2 meets most of your requirements, except that it's not portable.  one of my favorite combat systems, with an excellent story to boot.

the first, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is on psp, but the only real time aspect of the game is the timing of your button presses.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@csl316 said:
" Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmera for the PS2 meets most of your requirements, except that it's not portable.  one of my favorite combat systems, with an excellent story to boot.  the first, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is on psp, but the only real time aspect of the game is the timing of your button presses. "
They made both portable didn't they?
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#65  Edited By csl316
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @csl316 said:
" Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmera for the PS2 meets most of your requirements, except that it's not portable.  one of my favorite combat systems, with an excellent story to boot.  the first, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is on psp, but the only real time aspect of the game is the timing of your button presses. "
They made both portable didn't they? "
dude, i wish.  only the first went portable.  there was another game, Covenant of the Plume, for the DS.  that's a tactical rpg, first i ever played.  'twas fun
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HitmanAgent47
Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Cegoraph

I'm exactly sure if this a RPG, but Valkyria Chronicles is certainly worth looking into. I'd also recommend Demon Souls. But I must warn you that it is a incredibly difficult video game. It's learning curve is so staggeringly steep, it would be nearly impossible to master it's combat in a single day. It's highly rewarding though, it stands as a testament from all of the spoon feeding games that have spoiled us throughout the years.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By AuthenticM
Resonance of Fate.

That game is fucking awesome.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#69  Edited By Icemael
@csl316 said:
I have both. I liked certain aspects of the first (the combat system, the story, the graphics, the music), but was too bothered by certain others (dull, overly long dungeons, "time" limit) to finish it. The second I didn't like at all, graphics aside.

Can anyone comment on the third game? I generally can't stand turn-based SRPGs, but I understand it's got some real-time elements. How prominent are they?

@Cegoraph said:
" I'm exactly sure if this a RPG, but Valkyria Chronicles is certainly worth looking into. I'd also recommend Demon Souls. But I must warn you that it is a incredibly difficult video game. It's learning curve is so staggeringly steep, it would be nearly impossible to master it's combat in a single day. It's highly rewarding though, it stands as a testament from all of the spoon feeding games that have spoiled us throughout the years. "
Have both, love both.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By valrog
@LordAndrew said:
" @drag said:

" How they hell did Dark Cloud and its sequel get mentioned straight away? Two of the worst perpetrators of awful random dungeoning. "

The best part about recommendation threads is that you can ignore the original poster's request and just recommend whatever the hell you want. At least, that's the impression I get from these threads. "
Except for random dungeoning, Dark Cloud has everything OP requested. I think. Either that, or my memory is turning against me.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By Vorbis
Atelier Rorona. Just released last week over here and it's a great little gem that will be lost amongst all the big releases this month. Although it has been out a while in Japan so you may have imported it already, hear they are close to releasing the next one.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Godwind

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals might be worth taking a check.  It is a remake for the DS. 
Check List Approval: 
  1. -real-time battle system (Check)
  2. -Something with plenty of optional content. (Check)
  3. -Preferably (though certainly not necessarily) something for a portable platform. (Check)
  4. -Preferably no random battles.  (Not sure, about every lufia game has had random battles, except one that was for the GBC)
  5. -Absolutely no randomly generated dungeons. (Check)
  6. -Good music and/or graphics. If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, I'm not interested. (I liked the music, check)
  7. I-t needs to have been released in Europe, or else be region free. (On the DS, Region Free, Check)

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the new World 
  2. -Something with plenty of optional content. (I would give this a half check, they have side quests but they are really weak)
  3. -Preferably (though certainly not necessarily) something for a portable platform. (Negative)
  4. -Preferably no random battles.  (Check)
  6. -Good music and/or graphics. If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, I'm not interested. (The music didn't really stand out.  The Graphics are workable, but not harsh)
  7. -It needs to have been released in Europe, or else be region free. (In Europe, Check)

Sword of Mana 
  2. -Something with plenty of optional content. (Can't remember if there was any, I'll just say negative) 
  3. -Preferably (though certainly not necessarily) something for a portable platform. (Check)
  4. -Preferably no random battles.  (Check)
  6. -Good music and/or graphics. If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, I'm not interested. (Sprite based graphics on GBA.  The Mana series generally has wimsical sound to them)
  7. -It needs to have been released in Europe, or else be region free. (Check)

Mario and Luigi series  

1. -real-time battle system (Semi-Check, it actually depends on reactionary situations when being attacked and timing)
  2. -Something with plenty of optional content. (Can't remember if there was any) 
  4. -Preferably no random battles.  (Can't Remember)
  6. -Good music and/or graphics. If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, I'm not interested. (Sprite Based.  Music is mario-esque.)
  7. -It needs to have been released in Europe, or else be region free. (Check)

It is kind of hard to work with but this is what I got.