I Want Danswers Back!

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I love the Danswers podcast with Danny O'Dwyer and Dan Rykert and now that they both work for Giant Bomb lets bring it back. I need some good life advice straight from a Dan into my ear holes. Lets Do This!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

ALLS
SYSTEMS
GOKUS

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that would be awesome.

I really like the chemistry between them.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would love some podcasting between Dan and Danny, or Jeff and Dan if they were to watch more anime. One thing with Danswers was it sort of got too real. Some people wrote in about some heavy stuff, that arguably Dan and Danny shouldn't be the best person to address those issues. (I think they even mentioned that at one point, in one of the later episodes) It was that and how a handful of questions kept coming back to, "You should go see a professional and look into improving your mental health".

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dan and Danny are a fun pair, and I wouldn't be opposed to them either doing a podcast or some new video series on nuGiant Bomb, but Danswers doesn't really need to come back.

Danswers had a fun retro theme song, but outside of that the advice itself was questionable even when they were both legitimately trying. Giving life advice to random people you don't know is actually extremely difficult, and anyone doing it in a daily newspaper column is basically a hack.

While we're on the topic of ancient podcasts to resurrect with guest contributors, I actually think the Klepek era had good podcasts that didn't get enough credit. Patrick's Interview Dumptruck with the raw audio of interviews as a companion to articles he was writing was rather good (check out the one with the dev of Bioforge, it's great). Also Bombin' the AM with Scoops and the Wolf was cool because it actually had a rotating chair in that the podcast was either Patrick + Alex, or Patrick + Alex + whatever random indie dev/game journalist they could rope in that week. It had a fun, thrown-together lo-fi kinda feel, with no strict segments that I can recall, just like a 50-90 minute current events conversation podcast.

On the guest topic, with Alex gone, I guess any and all guest interview booking for stuff like E3 and year-end GotY guest top 10 lists really does fall to probably Jeff G/Jeff B/Danny, since they would have the most long-time industry relationships to do outreach with. I guess it's mostly irrelevant for this E3 since it's still all remote.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6 brian_  Online

If Giant Bomb is going to have a revolving door of contributors, I think it could be fun to bring it back and rework it into more of a "Get to know this person" type of thing for them. I don't think they should be giving listeners life advice though.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its funny because Danny did mention it on the last Bombcast. He said he knew people would ask for it now that Ryckert is back but they havent talked about it yet. But he was willing to consider bringing it back if they had the chance.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ydross: I recall him mentioning people would ask for Danswers, but I very much don't remember Danny implying at all that they were willing to bring it back. Would you happen to have a timestamp for anywhere Danny says that? My broad recollection across several years is that Dan and Danny are both generally against bringing it back because they're not qualified to give life advice.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Didn't get enough credit in what sense? It was good and I thought ppl generally liked it. "Back up that dumptruck, beep, beep" was a fun on-going joke for awhile.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Around the 18:15min mark. He said they havent talked about it yet but he was looking forward to talk to him about stuff. Kinda implying that they might consider it. At least hes aware that people will ask for it.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

loved danswers and even wrote in once myself weirdly enough. that said those guys were at totally different places in they're life so i can see wanting or not wanting to do it go either way, along with the possiblity of they're perspectives totally changing cause its been like 5 years and ppl change and grow. i would listen again but honestly idk if i need even more podcasts. i was missing the beastcast this past month along with the hot spot but now we have nextlander and fireescape cast and waypoint just started waypoint plus so ... so much content!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They certainly have more wisdom than they did the last time they did the show. So many big life changes for both of them that could be insightful to hear.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BisonHero

@bisonhero: Didn't get enough credit in what sense? It was good and I thought ppl generally liked it. "Back up that dumptruck, beep, beep" was a fun on-going joke for awhile.

I mostly mean that inferring from the size of comments section at the time, it seemed like its audience was much smaller than the Bombcast. But I don't have the numbers. In general, the "remote Patrick, remote Alex, pre GB East" era was a bit of a weird one for a while, but I think Patrick/Alex kept up the hustle well and those podcasts (and weekly articles) were really good.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By liquiddragon

@bisonhero: Probably not fair to compare anything on the site to The Bombcast, especially back then. Patrick was pretty divisive so it's possible some segment of the audience just wrote off anything he did entirely. He didn’t clicked with me but I did enjoy Dumptruck and Wolf and the Scoops.

Seemed like GB got far away from having industry ppl regularly besides like E3. Idk if it was a perception issue with, for example, SuperGiant with games like Transistor which most of them didn't seem to really care for but they were pretty gentle with. Ppl always complained about stuff like QL EX so it's possible they just got away from trying to talk to industry ppl as much cuz they thought the audience wasn't into it. Or relationships just change.Remember the Bombcast episode with the Grin guys? Still one of the best episodes

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I had a lot of fun listening to those guys together, and enjoyed Danswers! I'm not hankering for it to come back. Most advice tends to come to the same conclusion (they acknowledged it a few times): "Person A, you should have an open and honest conversation with person B. Communication is important!"

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always found the idea of people seeking out Dan Rykert for advice to be deeply unsettling.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I've said this already in different threads and on streams, but I want Janswers with Jan and his barber, also named Jan. This is not a joke, I'm just legitimately interested in actually witnessing the almost legendary second Jan and to get to pick Jan's brain.

I don't really think Danswers would work in 2021. To me the hook of the show always was two guys with no self-awareness whatsoever attempting to earnestly give well-meaning advice on topics they're genuinely ill equipped to discuss while a guest is in various stages of bewilderment. Both Dans have realized how way out of their depth they were in the show and I feel like them attempting it now would lack the charm the show had. To me I loved the way you could see the innocence the dudes had (even if I'm younger than either of them) and now they've both grown up and matured, at least in some ways.