I wish GB would have weekly scheduled content on Mondays

F1REv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By F1REv2

Maybe even move the Hotspot to Monday instead of having it and UPF an hour or so apart on Fridays. I'm assuming Monday is probably an office/meeting day for them, but still it would be nice to have a scheduled play date or something to fill in what is otherwise a dry content day from GB.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree 100 percent. Even if it is a meeting day, it would be nice to have one pre-recorded quick look or something for Mondays. Despite the "drought", there is actually a ton of stuff coming out, especially in the indie scene.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

@heelbill: Problem is if you want a QL on Monday it'd have to be recorded/edited/uploaded on Friday and then sit all weekend. Better to publish as soon as you can or as soon as any embargo lets you.

That's sorta the issue of any Monday prerecorded video. So you're hoping for a live stream on Monday and if you're planning the week out that day and have too many production or editorial members off in meetings you don't have much luck structuring your Monday out.

GB already produces too much content for me to feasibly watch in a single week. The west coast crew might possibly be back in an office within 2-3 months if vaccines go correctly and I'd rather them reassess content production then and just keep trucking with all the stuff we have now.

F1REv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa:

I dont see the problem in recording a pre-recorded play date on a Friday and then releasing it on Monday. I doubt the community would be bothered that it wasn't live. Better than having Monday be a nothing day and Friday being front loaded with 2 shows.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess we will see post pandemic. Right now I have the time to watch stuff being home all the time and would watch more if they put it out. There is plenty of stuff that could be pre-recorded that isn't embargo dependent.

I'm not trying to dog on GB, I have other Twitch streamers and Youtubers I follow that put out solid content, but GB stuff is still my preference.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

@f1rev2: But then you have to block out recording time for that playdate and you have a gap in the schedule someplace else.

Not disagreeing with you wanting to see stuff on Monday, totally get it, but it's just about balancing production and schedules. It's simpler to just produce a playdate live and post it immediately.

F1REv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: so like I said move Hotspot to Mondays then. It's not exactly a news oriented podcast and then you still have UPF if any of the guys want to discuss breaking news. Anyways it's just a suggestion, I love GBs content but Mondays are definitely lacking in content

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Oddly enough, I was planning on recording a QL and publishing it today but unfortunately Magic Legends just didn't want to cooperate.

It's true that Mondays are generally more of a "prep and planning" kind of day as everyone puts some time in with games that are going to wind up getting featured later in the week. I've been considering bringing back Community Co-Op Corner, though, and since Monday is pretty light content-wise maybe that'd be a good slot for it. I've been pretty busy doing some behind-the-scenes stuff but maybe after the GBCER is over and done with we can get back to some Wreckfest or something similar going into spring.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@f1rev2: I'm honestly pretty fine with moving Hotspot to Mondays, since it's usually just an arbitrary games industry nostalgia topic, or at best sometimes the news of the week vaguely suggests an arbitrary nostalgia topic. It seems like it landed on Friday just because earlier in the pandemic they didn't have any other feature that was scheduled to go up on Fridays.

Also I honestly thought that the Hotspot was just a low-production-effort podcast substitute for Unprofessional Fridays, so I'm kinda shocked that they're still doing both each Friday. It seems like it must tie up most of their Friday working hours prepping for and processing 2 livestreams. Like I'm still genuinely shocked they didn't permanently sunset the Hotspot the same week UPF came back.

That said, the staff seems fine with their current workflow and if they work better posting nothing Monday while they plan out the week or whatever, then so be it. Also maybe the West coast staff wants to have more space between Bombcast and Hotspot, and Monday is too close to the Bombcast to feel like there's any real gap between the two shows. Like a real "weren't we all just talking to each other about games 12 hours ago" vibe.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my conspiracy theory is that they're intentionally taking it easy so that when it comes time to ask R*d V*nt*r*s for more staff they don't look at the weekly output and say, "Why?! You're doing great!"

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I think I'm pretty well spoiled with 4 days of live content per week.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I'd love to see some Community Co-Op corner! Really enjoy any time you show up on content.

@development Haha, interesting theory!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I definitely understand the sentiment. One of my favourite things about the (don't say it, don't say it, oh he's gonna say it) Endurance Runs was the little ritual that arose, where I'd get to sit down every weekday evening with a cup of tea and watch the further adventures of Charlie Tunoku.

I guess if you'd be happier if one of the Friday shows was Monday content, you always just have the option of not watching one of them till then :P

AndersWarming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fresh content on mondays would be nice, sure. But I've not yet been in a situation where I didn't use monday to catch up on shows from the previous week, like the Hotspot ;)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

It would be cool if "I Love Mondays" made a return. Those were always quick and fun and also gave you a hint of what is coming up in the week.

I agree that currently Hot Spot being on Friday before UPF seems like an awkward fit. It's a weird show in that ostensibly it's a podcast but more often than not they are talking about physical things they're holding up and seems like unless you're watching the video you're missing out.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, I miss the days of weekly Beast in the East on Monday's.

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’d be great to see I Love Mondays make a return.

timoneous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do miss the I Love Mondays videos, but I understand they were a little production intensive with being on the green screen and needing to read from a script...at least the later videos were basically just them with their phone cameras talking at their desks. Now you need to set up a video call for all involved and it just doesn't make any sense with everyone still at home. So, I understand not having Monday content unless it's something like Jan 'N' Juice. I think as long as the Upcoming section on the front page is up to date I'm good with Monday being a catch up day for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get some demo derby back!

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spacemanspiff00

I wholeheartedly agree. I've actually been kind of frustrated with the lack of output considering they have a premium subscription. Smaller (free) Youtube channels produce great content in larger quantities daily ,and per week, and yet Monday is pretty much a dead zone on GB. I've been honestly considering letting my sub just lapse this year for awhile. Besides the community here and the podcasts I'm starting to find better alternatives to most of GB content.

The one streamer I follow has a full time job, wife and kid, and yet still finds time to run a whole Youtube channel. And he posts let's plays every day, then does build and guide videos, and streams 3-4 nights a week.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By noboners

I feel like the big disparity here is the comparison people are making between Giant Bomb and "content creators" on YouTube. Clearly, the biggest thing GB does is their podcasts, of which we have access to 3 a week. That's pretty wild!

Like others have mentioned, I just save the Hotspot for Mondays nowadays since I think those are the least "time relative" content.

And yeah the video output may be slower than pre or even during the pandemic, but when they were doing nothing but solo streams last year people were complaining and asking for more content as a group. Now that they're primarily outputting group videos with the minimal staff they have, people are disappointed there isn't more stuff to watch. I dunno but I will always land on the side of letting them just work at their pace. They shouldn't be compared to others trying to game the YouTube algorithm, or establish themselves.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spacemanspiff00

@noboners:

I feel like I'm somewhat the person your describing so I figured I'd respond. I think about it this way: This is their full time job. None of the staff are really running side gigs as far as I know. How much work and time does 3 podcasts amount to in a single week for a crew compared to a 40+ hour work week for one person, even adding a few other vids per week. And its fair enough they have the luxury of somewhat working on their own terms. However there is a lot of competition these days ,and while GB have the benefit of being established, more and more established outlets are popping up.

The unnamed streamer/creator I mentioned above is established and has been for several years now and is one guy with a 40 hour work week at a good job and then Youtube on top of it, so I don't feel bad for not subbing. GB is several people who only work for GB. And I pay for the premium sub and get less from way more people. To sound a little insensitive for a moment, how much work am I really paying for? You have one the most coveted jobs in the world that involves more fun than anything, with a strong community, and yet your doing less and less with it.

I can't really speak much to what type of content people prefer, whether its group or solo that is. I do however find it difficult to try and separate GB from content creators. Its the same thing but we've just added a label to it as a job. You could probably say that GB are somewhat pioneers of this job. GB just have their own platform to release it while still making content available on Youtube. Much like Rooster Teeth for a much larger example. The community of GB and the personalities are the driving force. These days we don't even really get reviews or editorials or much else besides the standard vids and podcasts. I guess I don't know what the overall less is more approach is having on viewership and sub number.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I like that we get multiple things on a Friday because a) it's a Friday so I can usually catch it live anyway without worrying about the time (being in UK means they run fairly late), and b) if I can't watch them live then they're there to watch over the weekend.

It'd be nice to have Monday content but I appreciate that they need a day to do prep & meetings, and I'm okay with that meaning we don't see much one day a week.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I can’t see it taking a whole day and a fifth of a working week to plan out what has been offered lately. I could be wrong, but I just can’t see it. They used to do Monday content, but have stopped.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They used to record content to be released on Mondays, like Beast In The East and so on. Don't know why they stopped doing that some time ago (even before the pandemic). Honestly, not having anything on Mondays doesn't really bother me, I think the current output of weekly content is a bigger issue to be fixed than the Mondays.

@spacemanspiff00: Very well said! You described exactly how I've been feeling about the site in a way that I couldn't.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spacemanspiff00: all your points are certainly valid. And I'm sorry if it came off like I was singling your post out. I didn't mean for that at all. It's something I've seen brought up on the forums most times that we see the discussion around the amount of content being produced.

I think the premium model that they offer certainly looks antiquated in comparison to what people see for paid content on Patreon or free content on YouTube. Especially if you don't use the credit to buy a t-shirt or something.

Don't really have anything else to add I suppose. The model works for me since I can't watch stuff every day anyways, but I understand why people are disappointed that there aren't vids every day.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: Oh I just thought I fit the mold of people you were describing is all, no big deal. Figured I would elaborate since I was hanging out here anyway.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the start of the thread I found myself really wanting more content on mondays. I came to realize halfway through that for me it's less of a problem of having days with no content coming out and more the fact that I feel like they are sorely missing series.

I am dying for more Game Tapes and Demo Derby...in an ideal world I'd love to have one of each a month(once every two weeks rotating) as well as a weekly series playing through a game/series in the vein of Mass Alex, MGScanlon, Beast In the East, Life is Strange, Contradiction, Ect (I'd also accept Vinny playing any FMV game as a series)

Note that I'm really just saying what I would like to see and am sorely missing out on...I do accept the realities that time is a constraint and that other members value different things I just wish they could find a bit better of a balance so that everyone has something they can justify the sub price on

F1REv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By F1REv2

@ehbunner:

Agreed. I was kind of shocked on a recent bombcast or Hotspot Brad mentioned he dropped off Valheim hard because he didn't have anyone to play and coordinate with. I find it odd they didn't just make it another series as you had 4 current members, Abby, and Danny playing the game so it's not like there wasn't enough people.

If they can't move Hotspot, which again I still don't think it adds anything being on a Friday, then maybe they can get another prerecorded series going that releases on Monday? Again, not everything needs to be a live show and not everything needs to be a quick look.

Maybe this is just a problem of having the smallest staff they have had in years though. It's time for Rorie to just pump out more content 😀

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pay $5/mo. for a couple Patreons that put out 1-2 videos a week. I continue paying because the videos are actually good. Which is far more than I can say for the overwhelming majority of streamers.

If you're no longer happy with GB, then don't pay for premium. "Stop being lazy and just crank out more stuff" is not a very useful complaint.

F1REv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup:

I dont think anyone is saying that. However if you are paying for premium I think its ok to voice a complaint or offer a suggestion about what you would like to see out of your premium subscription. I'm paying for a product, I'm allowed to give an opinion on said product. And I don't think anyone in this thread so far is being antagonistic or suggesting anything outlandish.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frytup
@f1rev2 said:

@frytup:

I dont think anyone is saying that.

Hmm. You might want to re-read the thread. People can absolutely complain and suggest whatever. I just have a bad reaction to the "dunno guyzzz... think I just might stop paying if you don't do this thing..." type of posts. Especially if the counterexample being offered is (IMO) junk content.

Cards on the table, I've never really liked UPF. I find random, meandering live streams pretty boring. It's probably why I don't really like streamers. You know what I like much better? Planned, (somewhat) produced content. Quick Looks, long play features, reviews, etc. I'd actually suggest fewer but more substantial videos, and I have some hope they'll start to bring that type of content back once they can fill out the staff a bit more.