#1 Posted by iainfarrell (53 posts) -

Hi everyone

I’ve had an idea I think might be fun and want to gauge some interest. I was thinking as I listened to the GOTY deliberations that doing something similar with a group might be fun so here’s the pitch.

Monthly a game is selected and we all play it. Then at the end of the month I pull together a panel to talk about their experiences and people can also contribute live via something - discord or the like - to add their pence worth or whatever. We could make it into a podcast after the fact, there might even be weekly mini-episodes in the run up.

Would you listen and or take part?

Thanks, Iain

#2 Posted by Rorie (5613 posts) -
Staff
#3 Posted by chipultra (12 posts) -

Always wanted to do something like this!

#4 Posted by hack1501 (41 posts) -

This is a cool idea and sounds like a lot of fun.

#5 Posted by Rejizzle (1082 posts) -

Neat!

#6 Posted by iainfarrell (53 posts) -

@rejizzle @hack1501 @chipultra @rorie

Great, thanks guys! I will keep you in the loop. I’m thinking Feb will be the first month of as yet unnamed game club 🤣

Any suggestions for games gratefully received. I’m thinking something maybe a bit older and cross platform like Hyperlight Drifter.

#7 Posted by htr10 (1027 posts) -

This is a really fun idea. If you name the game and name the "deadline", I know that I will definitely do my best to play it.

#8 Posted by someoneproud (477 posts) -

Sounds like fun. Count me in.

#9 Posted by hermes (2588 posts) -

This sounds fun. Count me in for, at least, playing it...

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#10 Posted by SloppyDetective (1581 posts) -

I have Hyper Light Drifter and have yet to play it...so Im in for this one at least

#11 Posted by iainfarrell (53 posts) -

@sloppydetective: I’m in the same boat. Backed it in 2015 and have played a couple of hours at MOST which is a terrible shame. I’ve picked up the switch version recently. Can’t wait.

#12 Posted by acharlie1377 (73 posts) -

This seems really cool! Not sure if I'd be able to actually do it, due to me trying to spend less money, but the idea is awesome.

#13 Posted by Rejizzle (1082 posts) -

@iainfarrell: Great. Been looking for an excuse to replay that one.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#14 Posted by SloppyDetective (1581 posts) -

@iainfarrell: I'm absolutely in love with the art and soundtrack but it's just gotten lost in the shuffle of my backlog.

#15 Posted by iainfarrell (53 posts) -

@acharlie1377: in a similar position, baby 2 arrived last year. This is so I can at least talk about them 🤣

#16 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8814 posts) -

I don’t have the setup to join in on discussions via podcasts, but the idea of a monthly GB game is a fantastic one.

#17 Posted by danielkempster (2774 posts) -

@iainfarrell: I really, really like this idea and would definitely like to be involved if it comes to fruition. Please register my interest and keep me posted. If Hyper Light Drifter is confirmed as the first game then I'll pick it up ready for next month.

Also, if you're into the concept of a "video game book club" then I feel obliged to recommend Giant Bomb moderator @thatpinguino's own podcast project, Deep Listens. Every two weeks, he and his co-hosts play the same game and then dive deep on its gameplay, story and presentation, bringing their own backgrounds in literature and philosophy into the discussions. I admittedly only listen to the episodes pertaining to games which I've already played, as it's become a bit of a tall order for me to get through a game every two weeks (one a month sounds way more manageable for me), but it's nonetheless one of my favourite video game podcasts out there. Plus, they were kind enough to have me on as a guest for an episode on Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath a few years back.

#18 Posted by chipultra (12 posts) -

@iainfarrell: naturally when I go to commit to something things come up in life. I won’t be able contribute for a hand full of months but I would definitely join up with you guys at a later time!

#19 Posted by iainfarrell (53 posts) -

@danielkempster: thanks for the heads up. I’ll look into Deep Listens. I think I’m going a little less high brow, and a bit more book club. 🙏👍

#20 Posted by iainfarrell (53 posts) -

Created a discord. Come join us here for chat and stuff https://discord.gg/SzfsbVb