If done right, would you play as a Nazi/Terrorist ?

• 96 results
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

Yes.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

I personally wouldn't mind playing one.

But people have very different definitions of "done right." Those who protest violent games would go nuts over Nazis/terrorists killing/torturing people in a brutal manner ("terrorist simulator" anyone?), while those who hate Nazis/terrorists would claim that game developers are being "too soft" in their depictions of Nazis/terrorists.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nanikore

Yes. If I kill Japanese people in one game I might as well kill American people in another. It's all the same. Killing people is killing people.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spacetrucking
I think games should allow us to play as the villain more often - especially the Nazi/Terrorist kind. It's a real shame that news organizations like Fox are stifling the creative potential of games by attacking any thing that doesn't subscribe to their persevered notion of what's right or not. 

EDIT: When I say done right, I mean the game is actually a good game and treats the subject matter with the gravitas it requires. Though I'm pretty sure it will never pacify the people who believe such a thought is inherently wrong.
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CandleJakk

Yes, I've always thought about how I would love to play a game from the German military point of view, from the marches into the Rhineland through to the military ascent to power, etc...

On the condition that this would be dealt with on a factual basis, and with some decent character work, if only to teach people that nowadays German does not equal Nazi.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By mike

Very interesting poll...although, I'm not sure such a thing could ever be done "right." I voted yes, because I'd still play just for the experience unless the game was utter trash.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By General_D23

EDIT: Ah, so that's what you mean. I dunno, being fun to play seems a little bit of a low standard. I'm sure that Space Invaders World Trade Center thing was fun to play, but...

I'd be willing, if meeting my personal standards (i.e. good story, not overly...gratuitous might be the word I'm looking for. I'm willing for such a game to be really brutal, but there is a fine line that can be crossed too easily).

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By crystalskull2

If done right, then surely yes.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fudgeblood

What type of terrorists are you talking about? There are shit loads of games where you play as them.

But I would gladly play as a Nazi/Terrorist/"bad guy", I'm sick of always playing as a yank.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool

If I could play as a terrorist group in a "good" game and the objective was to bring down America and kill the President (especially if retro and Bush Jnr was in charge), I would be up for it.  In fact, I would like a game where you played the Vietnamese and your job is to kill and drive America out of Vietnam.  As someone said - killing is killing.  It won't happen in any major game as you can just hear FOX screaming now at the very thought of it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
@oldschool: What if the game was about terrorists killing Australians and taking down the Australian government? Would you still be as willing and/or excited to play such a title?
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spacetrucking
@General_D23:  I can understand where you're coming from. Everyone has a natural line for the amount of gore they can tolerate. The point of such a game wouldn't be that it lets you murder people in the most gruesome way possible (ala Manhunt). It would be more about playing from a different perspective. Also, I retract my "fun to play" statement....doesn't necessarily describe what I was trying to say.

@Fudgeblood: I don't recall many games where you play as a terrorist in the single player campaign (multiplayers like Counter Strike don't count since they have no storylines about this concept). The only games that come to mind are ones in the C&C franchise and Modern Warfare 2. Would you mind listing the others for me ?

@MB: That is an interesting point. Players usually don't mind killing people from another country or region or anything that lets you detach yourself from the target. But as soon as it's your fellow countrymen across the crosshair, they hesitate on pulling the trigger. It's a natural response, some might argue there is something wrong with you if you don't hesitate. It's a very tricky subject.
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By raidingkvatch
@nanikore said:
" Yes. If I kill Japanese people in one game I might as well kill American people in another. It's all the same. Killing people is killing people. "
This. For videogames to evolve they need to move past the childish black and white morality that exists now and be brave enough to have protagonists who are on the wrong side of events.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Red12b

Short answer, Yes. 

Long answer,  
People have lost the definition of a terrorist and terrorist acts, I bet 80% of people who will vote in that poll will think Middle eastern Taliban or something of that ilk, Terrorism is a much bigger issue than people think nowadays, Home terrorists inside ones own country could be planning something or have a deep hatred for the way that their country operates that they think that they need to act, or some could just be homicidal,  
That is still a definition of terrorist, Someone who strikes terror/fear into other people, by doing malicious acts. 

If you want to translate that into US terms, The Oklahoma bombing, Columbine, Virginia Tech. These are all examples of Terrorism but only that they are not middle eastern. 

And don't forget so soon, If you have played through the single player of Modern Warfare, You have already played as a terrorist. Albeit an undercover operative, but he is still involved.  

And with a Nazi styled game,  
This has to be done with extreme caution, Should there be one, absolutely, I see no reason why not, what they should focus on however, is how Brainwashing and propaganda can have such a devastating effect on ones psyche that they can do inhuman things to others, 
If someone is up to that task, but I doubt we will see anything before cinema reflects, just now are we starting to have WW2 films show the German side,  

As a quote taken from MW2 stated, "History is written by the Victor" I think that is fitting with what I have to say,  

When another country invades your country, kills your people, and then calls you terrorists whilst you defend yourself, to your countrymen you are liberators, That is how you would see yourself, 

I think that MW2 although ridiculously over the top, tried to show something in a different light, and I applaud IW for doing so, When you are fighting Russians through middle America, I bet a few of you must have thought, "yeah take that ya bastard, thinking you can invade us". 

How do you think people in Iraq must feel, I don't think they feel liberated as people are still dying,  

Just to end it, I do not think that mainstream media is ready for a modern setting with the gamplay situated from the "Terrorists" point of view, as the Media would scream bloody murder if you were playing as a insurgent firing on Nato or American troops. let alone civilians,  

How big do you think the media shitstorm would have been if IW decided to have an American airport instead of a Russian one? 
I don't think it would have been published. 
No one would back such a thing, because that is their main customers, that the player is gunning down, 

But it's totally ok for it to be Russian. I don't see it that way. and if you really thought about it, I doubt you would too. 

If you have read this whole thing, Cheers, it is 2:00 AM I have been awake for nearly 24 hours (Because of work) and my writing style usually suffers from lack of continuity.        
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dbz1995

A lot of people think that Nazis/Terrorists are heartless beings who kill for the hell of it-a game with a good character may be able to show what lead him there. As long as it isn't a Final Fantasy-melodrama won't bring anyone anywhere (I love Final Fantasy and its melodrama, but not for something like this).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
@MB said:
" @oldschool: What if the game was about terrorists killing Australians and taking down the Australian government? Would you still be as willing and/or excited to play such a title? "
Well, it would be a short game and more likely a Wii title rather than a 360 one - not much of a challenge  ^-^ 

I am never excited to play a game of killing unless it is mutants like HotD: O or some sci-fi thing, and RTS games where it is all very far away.  I am just not a fan.  However, if the game included attacking Australia and England as well as America, not really any different, but in all honesty, it is more fun taking down America.  When I play Civilisation I never play America (usually England, Russia or France) and the first country I try to wipe off the map is America.  No idea why as I really do like Americans as they are just sober Australians who talk funny, but what America represents internationally isn't something I like.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fudgeblood
@Killjoi: It really depends what you classify as a terrorist.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mike
@oldschool said:
...what America represents internationally isn't something I like. "
You're telling me, I wish we would just concentrate on our own problems instead of trying to solve everyone else's.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghostiet

Yes on the Nazi part, and a yes on the terrorist part, although with some hesitance.

So, developers - if you still need to milk the WW2 concept, give us a German campaign that is not a fucking RTS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
@MB said:
" @oldschool said:
...what America represents internationally isn't something I like. "
You're telling me, I wish we would just concentrate on our own problems instead of trying to solve everyone else's. "
Think off all the money that could be better spent.  No-one is going to invade America and it doesn't need to spend such ridiculous amounts on defence.  Plus, the UN is there to fix problems (well, in theory), so America just needs to help, not take over.  I do still hope that America will recapture some of that love we used to have for it.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shirogane
@MB said:
" @oldschool: What if the game was about terrorists killing Australians and taking down the Australian government? Would you still be as willing and/or excited to play such a title? "

If you have to ask that, you're obviously not Australian... 

I believe most Australians considered even somewhat intelligent knows our government is messed up and needs to be completely overhauled.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

When I say done right, I mean the game is actually a good game and treats the subject matter with the gravitas it requires.  

So its okay that the subject matter has as of yet not been treated with the gravitas it requires, as long as you're playing an American?
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Venatio

Hell yeah, I would love a good game where you play as a terrorist/nazi

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eclipsesis

If written well, that would be a very unique experience.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Red12b
@oldschool said:
" @MB said:
Well, it would be a short game and more likely a Wii title rather than a 360 one - not much of a challenge  ^-^  I am never excited to play a game of killing unless it is mutants like HotD: O or some sci-fi thing, and RTS games where it is all very far away.  I am just not a fan.  However, if the game included attacking Australia and England as well as America, not really any different, but in all honesty, it is more fun taking down America.  When I play Civilisation I never play America (usually England, Russia or France) and the first country I try to wipe off the map is America.  No idea why as I really do like Americans as they are just sober Australians who talk funny, but what America represents internationally isn't something I like. "
You think that would be easy, If someone ever tried to invade NZ we would throw the Haka at you, then if that fails, 

WE HAVE JANDALS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By swamplord666

i wouldn't mind only if they really touch on the fact that it's not a black or white problem but a problem of manipulation and brainwashing. Not all nazi soldiers were evil sick jew haters. alot of them were just normal german citizens fighting by duty for their country and thought they were fighting the good fight.
terrorists is a different problem as you would have to depict them as something different than muslims or the media would blow up. Best one i could think of is the IRA succeeding in toppling the english government :) i'm sure that would go over more smoothly with the media... ish

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By ColinWright

Yes, but only if it is a point-and-click adventure game developed by TellTale

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

I can't imagine it would be done right, the only reason to offer that option is as a gimmick. Its something I'm sure Treyarch will do to coast on the "No Russians" thing, those hacks.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Red12b
@Meowayne said:
"

When I say done right, I mean the game is actually a good game and treats the subject matter with the gravitas it requires.  

So its okay that the subject matter has as of yet not been treated with the gravitas it requires, as long as you're playing an American? "
This is the thing isn't it, terrorists are only terrorists (Talking nation wise here not home bred terrorists) to the other side. 
The fact of the matter is that it is to wide a definition to lock down in a simple poll.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yes. I'd be very intrigued to see how they handled the sensitive issues relating to Nazism and Terrorism. I actually really want a game where you play as a Nazi. Handled correctly, it could be really interesting.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
@Red12b said:
" @Meowayne said:
"

So its okay that the subject matter has as of yet not been treated with the gravitas it requires, as long as you're playing an American? "
This is the thing isn't it, terrorists are only terrorists (Talking nation wise here not home bred terrorists) to the other side. The fact of the matter is that it is to wide a definition to lock down in a simple poll. "
Terrorism is a tactic, its not a matter of perception. If you're blowing up churches, you're a terrorist and you can call yourself whatever the fuck you want. Its different than simply fighting for your land.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
@Red12b said:
" @oldschool said:
" @MB said:
Well, it would be a short game and more likely a Wii title rather than a 360 one - not much of a challenge  ^-^  I am never excited to play a game of killing unless it is mutants like HotD: O or some sci-fi thing, and RTS games where it is all very far away.  I am just not a fan.  However, if the game included attacking Australia and England as well as America, not really any different, but in all honesty, it is more fun taking down America.  When I play Civilisation I never play America (usually England, Russia or France) and the first country I try to wipe off the map is America.  No idea why as I really do like Americans as they are just sober Australians who talk funny, but what America represents internationally isn't something I like. "
You think that would be easy, If someone ever tried to invade NZ we would throw the Haka at you, then if that fails,  WE HAVE JANDALS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! "
Jandals?  I learn something new every day.  Thongs man, thongs.  They are pretty deadly though, my mum could bend down, slip of a thong and hit me in the head with it from across the room before I knew what was happening  ^-^
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ghostiet
@ryanwho said:

" Terrorism is a tactic, its not a matter of perception. If you're blowing up churches, you're a terrorist and you can call yourself whatever the fuck you want. Its different than simply fighting for your land. "

Terrorism can be a matter of perception - call Che Guevara a terrorist and murderer in close proximity of a leftist and there is a chance you'll wake up the next day without a buttock. As long as you are bankable, you will be a freedom fighter. That also explains why people today think Charles Manson is a cool guy and the fact that he was an enviromentalist justifies the death of Sharon Tate and her friends. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Red12b
@oldschool said:
" @Red12b said:
" @oldschool said:
" @MB said:
You think that would be easy, If someone ever tried to invade NZ we would throw the Haka at you, then if that fails,  WE HAVE JANDALS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! "
Jandals?  I learn something new every day.  Thongs man, thongs.  They are pretty deadly though, my mum could bend down, slip of a thong and hit me in the head with it from across the room before I knew what was happening  ^-^ "
You do know that Americans are going to think your mum was a perv now, don't you? 

Can anyone say, Thong song?
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DCFGS3

I would really like to see a terrorist/insurgent rts, where with few resources you have to wage a war on occupying forces, and your men can hide among the populace.

In regards to the Nazis, I seem to remember playing a game where you did play as the Germans, but can't for the life of me remember what. That would be a good campaign.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By oldschool
@Red12b said:
" @oldschool said:
" @Red12b said:
" You think that would be easy, If someone ever tried to invade NZ we would throw the Haka at you, then if that fails,  WE HAVE JANDALS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! "
Jandals?  I learn something new every day.  Thongs man, thongs.  They are pretty deadly though, my mum could bend down, slip of a thong and hit me in the head with it from across the room before I knew what was happening  ^-^ "
You do know that Americans are going to think your mum was a perv now, don't you?  Can anyone say, Thong song? "
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing.  In their minds they are seeing some sort of slingshot thing and my mum with no undies - not a pleasant thought  ^-^ 

She was deadly with her pink slippers as well  :-)
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Whisperkill

Terrorists yes

Nazis maybe. I can hardly see any appeal in playing as Nazis. With terrorists, you're still fighting for beliefs even if they are corrupt. I can't really called Nazism a belief. It's more of an indoctrination.

And in terms of gameplay, fighting as terrorists would be different and challenging. Playing as a Nazi would just be another WW2 shooter.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nrain

Yes, yes I would.  

ALLAH!
ALLAH!
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spacetrucking
@Meowayne said:

"

No, it's not okay. Ideally, video games developers should be extremely careful either way but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Most of the gaming audiences are Americans or people who have an easier time sympathizing with the western armies (UK, US). I'm sure no one in the middle east likes how every other military shooter features their region as an instigator. But since they are not part of the target "demographic", games are allowed to portray them in anyway they like without fear of sales loss.

But if you flip the situation, the game automatically becomes that much harder to sell here. That's why it requires a much more careful approach.

@dbz1995 said:

" A lot of people think that Nazis/Terrorists are heartless beings who kill for the hell of it-a game with a good character may be able to show what lead him there. As long as it isn't a Final Fantasy-melodrama won't bring anyone anywhere (I love Final Fantasy and its melodrama, but not for something like this). "

Zoller from Inglorious Basterds was a very humane, relatable Nazi character that could definitely work as a protagonist in a video game. 

@DCFGS3 said:
" I would really like to see a terrorist/insurgent rts, where with few resources you have to wage a war on occupying forces, and your men can hide among the populace.  In regards to the Nazis, I seem to remember playing a game where you did play as the Germans, but can't for the life of me remember what. That would be a good campaign. "
C&C Generals had the option of playing as a terrorist organization. Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts has a Nazi single player campaign. It's been done before but only in RTS - as far as I'm aware. Everyone is afraid to touch this topic in shooters or action games, mainly because the action is much more visceral up close.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho
@Ghostiet said:
" @ryanwho said:

" Terrorism is a tactic, its not a matter of perception. If you're blowing up churches, you're a terrorist and you can call yourself whatever the fuck you want. Its different than simply fighting for your land. "

Terrorism can be a matter of perception - call Che Guevara a terrorist and murderer in close proximity of a leftist and there is a chance you'll wake up the next day without a buttock. As long as you are bankable, you will be a freedom fighter. That also explains why people today think Charles Manson is a cool guy and the fact that he was an enviromentalist justifies the death of Sharon Tate and her friends. 

"
Che is a marketable pop culture symbol and a terrorist. Its hard for people who actually know the full extent of what he did to justify it, most people only vaguely know what he stood for and nothing else.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By penguindust
@oldschool said:
" ...In fact, I would like a game where you played the Vietnamese and your job is to kill and drive America out of Vietnam... "
Vietcong 2 allowed you to play a portion of the game as a young Vietcong recruit during the Tet Offensive (1968).  The game itself wasn't very good, but it did offer a unique perspective.  

I'm not opposed to playing a game as the aggressor if it offers insight into his/her motivations.  Obviously, many of us who've played a competitive multiplayer game have already played as Nazis and terrorists, and RTS games on the PC often allow you to play as the Germans during WW2, but I'm fairly certain the OT meant in an action-shooter single-player campaign.  If I am killing Allies solider just for the sake of shooting at a different "skin", then there's really no point.  Americans, Russians, red guys or blue guys, it's all the same.  However, if there is a strong story element that sets the game in the hands of the Nazis (or whomever) then I think it would be an intriguing change.  I imagine "All's Quiet on the Western Front" which is the story of a German soldier during the First World War could be source material for some adventurous developer.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By c1337us

Yes if the game was good. The subject matter wouldnt bother me, only the quality of the game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ghostiet
@ryanwho said:
" Che is a marketable pop culture symbol and a terrorist. Its hard for people who actually know the full extent of what he did to justify it, most people only vaguely know what he stood for and nothing else. "

I'm not denying that (I'm doing the exact opposite, actually). I'm just pointing out that: a) there is still deliberation on what is terrorism and what is not and when the cryteria should play and when not, b) how the lack of knowledge can influence its meaning.

@PenguinDust said:

" I imagine "All's Quiet on the Western Front" which is the story of a German soldier during the First World War could be source material for some adventurous developer. "
Let's hope if anyone gets that idea, it won't be the people that made Dante's Inferno.
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mano521

i like that idea. if some one made a really good story about why terrorists/ nazis, did the things they do, and you played as them. i would not mind at all.  like if you think about it, GTA4 is about you playing as a robbing, murdering, scumbag. but you have a decent story behind why, and it was a well made game.   
so yea, in short, i wouldnt mind playing as either one

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#46  Edited By beargirl1

hell yes

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thecleric

I think the terrorist thing could be done very well as a 'twist ending'. Like Nazi's, it's typically going to be obvious given the arm band and propaganda and all that, if we're talking WW2. 

But imagine you're playing this game, killing these unnamed guy and doing what is the right thing to you the entire time, and then it ends with you blowing up some major landmark on national television.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

yes, i would like like to play as terrorist. i can see that it would be towards US instead of another country. there are other countries that have terrorist problems. 

i can see the game just being about killing innocent people.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#49  Edited By Valkyr

I would love a Company of Heroes expansion featuring a nazi campaign during the early  years of WW2, invading France, Poland, Netherlands, Greece, etc

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jkz

If it's intelligently done; I don't want to play "GENOCIDE: STAB CHILDREN IN THE GUT THEN PERFORM A SERIES OF BUTTON PRESSES TO RIP OUT THEIR VITAL ORGANS - THE GAME", but if it's making some sort of point, then maybe.