If you had to choose, which game universe would you rather live (or die) in?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll If you had to choose, which game universe would you rather live (or die) in? (126 votes)

Resident Evil 75%
Silent Hill 25%

I'm just curious. For me personally, Resident Evil. There are some terrible things that happen in it, to large populations throughout the entire series, but Silent Hill is just terrifying to me, more so than zombies or zombie-like creatures, and even lunatic wielding chainsaw guys, so it comes less down to survivability to me, and more about which one would I rather deal with. If it did come down to survivability though, I'd still choose RE, since it's not as random as Silent Hill where I could end up in some place I have no idea what is going on.

• 
pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By pr1mus

Silent Hill essentially becomes your own personal hell. I do not want to deal with my own personal hell.

Blasting zombies with a shotgun however is something that is highly relevant to my interests.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Silent Hill, for sure. I've considered this a surprising amount in the past, and the way I see it, Silent Hill- at least in the incarnation it was in during SH2- was trying to help you out, in a weird way. I mean sure, it torments you, attacks you with monsters based on your fears, mistakes, guilt and various other psychological aspects until you die, go mad, or some combination of the two... but if you can make it through you get some closure, a better understanding of yourself, it's pretty nice. The whole town is basically a big, crazily evil therapist who means well but can only communicate through blood, violence, trauma and skinless dogs with their heads split open.

If it's Silent Hill 1/3, though, then you wanna stay the fuck away from that town. Left to its own devices it's (sorta) fine, but when the cult/Alessa/the God of Silent Hill is around, you wanna avoid that place. That said, your odds of survival are still significantly better than Resident Evil. Seems like every bio-weapon outbreak in that series takes out entire countries/cities at a time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Resident Evil has monsters that can be comprehended by mortal minds and can be blasted away with a magnum shot or two. The monsters of Silent Hill are crazy nightmare creatures that probably reflect my inner psyche. Hmmm....

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In RE you're pretty safe unless you work for Umbrella Corp or are a STARS agent. In Silent Hill it's just random dudes getting the absolute shit scared out of them and then murdered.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In Silent Hill, they still have pizza.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: @arbitrarywater: Sure, but what about the potential death of your family if you survive, as well as the threat of those bio-terrorism bombs being unleashed where you live? Just saying, those are some cons to it, though yeah, like I said, I'd rather take my chance in the Resident Evil universe.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Eh, I wouldn't really say you're safe as long as you're not part of those. I mean, Racoon City, Terragrigia, and other places were subject to catastrophes which anyone of us could have been a part of, and then the threat of it simply happening to the area we live.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played the games but doesn't the crazy hellscape stuff keep itself limited to just the silent hill town, if so that universe would be safer as long as you go nowhere near that place, whereas in the RE universe zombies and monsters can be wherever some mega corporation decides to put down a research lab.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#9 sgtsphynx  Moderator

My decision depends greatly on whether or not I am stuck in Silent Hill and the immediate area or if the entire world becomes like that area. If the entire world becomes like the town of Silent Hill and its immediate surroundings or I am stuck in Silent Hill, as much as I prefer the Silent Hill games to the Resident Evil games, I'm going with the RE universe. Now if it is just that the town of Silent Hill exists and I am not stuck there, then I will go with the SH universe since that means that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever have to deal with the mind-fuckery that happens there, and I can continue my normal life as though nothing has changed.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

Slightly off topic, but is the silent hill HD remaster still crappy or did they update it? I'd love to play silent hill 2 because I never played it, but I sold my ps2 last year.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confidant that i could handle myself in a slow zombie outbreak scenario.

However, i'm not so confident in a silent hill nightmare scape t hat would create horrible creatures from my hidden desires and thoughts. That'd get me killed REALLLY quick.

I'm not such a dick that i use "hur hur i just dont go to silent hill" like some sort of asshole sidestepping the question. you know who you are...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Eh, I wouldn't really say you're safe as long as you're not part of those. I mean, Racoon City, Terragrigia, and other places were subject to catastrophes which anyone of us could have been a part of, and then the threat of it simply happening to the area we live.

No one would ever set a big budget horror movie in Ottawa.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@clonedzero: I wasn't sidestepping the question, I was merely going for clarification. And it's not being an asshole to say that you wouldn't willingly put yourself into a life threatening situation if you had a choice. As it is, I voted for the RE universe because I assume the world would be fucked/I'd be stuck in Silent Hill.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@rongalaxy: Last time I checked they were still effed; if it helps any, I played SH2 and 3 on the PC and they both ran incredibly well. Even with an absolutely terrible machine, 3 ran smoothly and without issue and I'd say looked better than the HD collection version. 2 had some weird issues, but they weren't that hard to iron out and it also ran fine after I got it going. I'd say get the PC versions; they're great. Also the HD collection voice acting (For 3 mostly) is just a bummer compared to the original.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Silent Hill...I guess

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling my life expectancy would be a bit higher in the Resident Evil universe. Not by much, given the hunters, lickers, tyrants, and such wandering around, but at least I wouldn't be transported to another hellish dimension where all of my nightmares become reality.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: There is an update that hardly did anything for the PS3 version, the 360 version didn't even get the update. If you have a PS2 and can get them on that instead, I would highly recommend doing so. Or the PC versions. But the HD version is just dreadful.

Anywhoways, as for the question, you can beat the Silent Hill universe. It is horrible, full of your worst nightmares come true, whatever your deepest darkest secret is will be made into hellish monster and landscapes and scenarios to haunt your very fucking core. BUT, you can beat it. You can get to the end and confront your inner demon and in some cases be better off for having had done so.

Resident Evil never ends, it is planet wide and keeps spreading, you can attempt to move from safe country to safe country but the virus is going to reach your country eventually. So due to those reasons, Silent Hill. I would rather take the hope of victory then no hope at all.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By cornbredx

haha

People would rather live in the RE universe. That's great.

I chose Silent Hill because I kind of already live there- being that it's a place where you face your demons and what not.

@zolroyce: I would argue no one ever leaves Silent Hill. They come there to realize what horrible things they have done, and they live there forever in their guilt.

Then there's the cultist side of the story who are trying to raise some demon baby. I guess they just add fuel to the fire haha, but sure they can be beaten. That's only part of it, though.

I don't know. I've always found the Silent Hill series much deeper than something like RE. It's more complicated than just fighting zombies and evil corporations and what not.

But I still agree. I'd prefer Silent Hill, too. At least it'd be a richer experience in my opinion.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lost_Remnant

Resident Evil. All I need to do is survive one harrowing scenario and then maybe I can go the way of Barry Burton or Billy Coen and go live a normal life somewhere. While I'm at it I'll find Barry and buy him a beer and all the bar sandwiches he can stand.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By syz

Silent Hill is a reflection of a sort... it seems like there are some pretty severe prerequisites you have to check off before you end up there.

I imagine Resident Evil would be worse for most people.

salata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Silent Hill. Who's to say the city would even call out to me? Resident Evil seems like it goes global quite a bit.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'd go for Resident Evil. No competition. The notion of Silent Hill is genuinely one of the most fucking horrifying things I can imagine. Don't get me wrong, viruses, zombies and giant monsters and shit are definitely scary, but something about the idea of a place specifically designed to psychologically destroy you just sends shivers up my spine like nothing else.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By syz

I'd go for Resident Evil. No competition. The notion of Silent Hill is genuinely one of the most fucking horrifying things I can imagine. Don't get me wrong, viruses, zombies and giant monsters and shit are definitely scary, but something about the idea of a place specifically designed to psychologically destroy you just sends shivers up my spine like nothing else.

SH seems largely designed to destroy you if you're worth being destroyed; in other words a place of punishment. Everybody who ends up there seems to deserve it in one way or another, outside of Heather who had her roots there because of voodoo hocus-pocus.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil because at least I'd know what the fuck is going on. In terms of the general universe of course, not plot, because who knows what RE's plot is.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Resident evil, because at least the monsters can be dealt with, in silent hill If I can't overcome my personal demons I'm screwed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Silent Hill. Id go get pyramid head to be my wing man and then go hit on those hot nurses.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had many dreams about living in a Resident Evil/zombie apocalypse, so I'd say Resident Evil. Silent Hill is just..terrifying.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@salata said:

Super Mario

A world where plumbers in furry costumes curb stop everybody that they come across sounds worse than Silent Hill.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Resident Evil is just our world with zombies. Silent Hill is a nightmare.

pindog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil because I think Silent Hill is a lot more hopeless.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother and I found both two and three at Value Village for a dollar in perfect shape, and since Silent Hills, I started playing through Silent Hill 2. It's good, but it's not really that scary even though I do feel it holds up well enough mechanically; it doesn't feel overly archaic in my opinion that is, and I like the visuals enough, so I'm not sure if that's why it's not that scary to me, but the game is, as Silent Hill always is, extremely depressing in its atmosphere, which is good and bad.

I bought the original Silent Hill two years ago I think, on PSN, and I played that for about five hours or so until I stopped to play other games, but I liked that too, and it feels really similar to two to me. My brother and I had rented these games, including The Room, but I didn't play them around release as he did except for The Room. I'm just excited to almost be finished with two - or so I think I'm almost done - and then jump into three.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would it take place in Silent Hill? Because I'd just stay right the fuck away from that place and be just fine.

Otherwise Resident Evil. Mostly because if I got turned into a monster thing I'd be able to take some motherfuckers down with me. Misery loves company! Or I'd just die a horrible, painful death at the tenticlaws of some horror beast. Or it'd just be boring-ass zombies.

Granted I don't really know the lore of the games anymore so I'd probably just be fucked either way.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil, because in Silent Hill you're totally alone with your own psychoses. At least in RE everyone's in the same shit

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@capum15 said:

Would it take place in Silent Hill? Because I'd just stay right the fuck away from that place and be just fine.

It finds you...

Who *would* choose Silent Hill? Those zombies are killable or you can hide from them or avoid them. I'm not sure exactly what Silent Hill is - because my time with the series amounts to me playing 2 for a couple of hours and being too much of a wimp to go on, watching the movie loosely based on it, and watching a couple of let's play videos of the first, second, and Wii Shattered Memories - but it kind of seems to be the absolute worst place to be because it's playing off your own worst fears. I guess you could eventually confront them and escape potentially, then go on to live a completely normal (if scarred emotionally) life?

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By syz

@andrewb said:
@capum15 said:

It finds you...

Who *would* choose Silent Hill? Those zombies are killable or you can hide from them or avoid them. I'm not sure exactly what Silent Hill is - because my time with the series amounts to me playing 2 for a couple of hours and being too much of a wimp to go on, watching the movie loosely based on it, and watching a couple of let's play videos of the first, second, and Wii Shattered Memories - but it kind of seems to be the absolute worst place to be because it's playing off your own worst fears. I guess you could eventually confront them and escape potentially, then go on to live a completely normal (if scarred emotionally) life?

People whose fears don't involve guilt stemming from murdering their family or something equally psychotic.

Like I said, we've only ever seen Silent Hill be scary towards people who obviously deserve it (outside of Heather who was tied to something there). Most people probably wouldn't even have the choice of going there. Either it wouldn't want you, or it would just be an empty town.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

@syz said:

@andrewb said:
@capum15 said:

It finds you...

People whose fears don't involve guilt stemming from murdering their family or something equally psychotic.

Like I said, we've only ever seen Silent Hill be scary towards people who obviously deserve it (outside of Heather who was tied to something there). Most people probably wouldn't even have the choice of going there. Either it wouldn't want you, or it would just be an empty town.

I'm not going to complain of spoilers here, because it was somewhat welcome, but now I kind of know how it works. I haven't personally finished any Silent Hill games, but if I see it this way, this would mean that Harry Mason, and James Sunderland killed their family? Wow... That's interesting and messed up; how am I supposed to like the characters now? Unless it's a bit more complicated than that.

Edit - Never mind about the 'liking the characters' thing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil...always.

If I was in Silent Hill I would be fucked. I have my own real life personally issues. If that became a reality It would be terrifying. What makes that worse is you can't kill yourself to end the pain. It'll probably end up making things even worse. Silent Hill: Selfish Demise would be the name of my adventure.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, dang. I am instead watching a walkthrough with all cutscenes of Silent Hill 2 instead of finishing it, just so I could go onto three faster as I am already near the very end. This makes me want to finish the original and know the characters better, and what Harry did to his daughter...

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like Resident Evil 'cause it's more realistic (lol), so I would at least feel like I know what's what. Silent Hill as a concept is like satanic magic or mystical mind-fuckery, where you're not supposed to know if you're even sane. I already have enough certified mental health issues, so I don't want totally lose it, ya know?

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't see why anyone would want to be stuck in Silent Hill.

Strife381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot less rape in resident evil too... A lot

salata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By salata

i stand by my choise :)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#45 fisk0  Moderator

Silent Hill has the better music. If I'm gonna die, at least I'd die to some fucking fantastic tunes.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil has better looking pants...

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, I mean it depends. If we're talking the "universe" they take place in. Then Silent Hill; as far as I know (which isn't much admittedly) the threat in Silent Hill is small scale, one or more places in the otherwise safe world, focused on screwing with bad people. The odds of ending up where the "action" is seem pretty low. Resident Evil universe is one failed protagonist away from the apocalypse. Constantly.

On the other paw, if we're talking under the assumption you have to go where the action is? Silent Hill. I'm going to die either way, and I'm already fascinated with my own not quite right (I have a history) noggin. I might as well learn something terrible and terribly interesting as I die.