If you have played but never finished a game...can you still be a fan of the game?

• 78 results
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Claude

I say yes. There are many games I have played but never finished that I'm a fan of.

The Metal Gear franchise is a great example. I've played all of the main games except the PS3 version. I, however, have never completed any of them, but consider myself a fan.

I really enjoyed Batman: Arkham Asylum, but quit on the final boss. But I still consider myself a fan.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Yes

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kjellm87

There was a fighting game I played as kid, but I could never beat the final guy. But even so, I liked it a lot. So I suppose you can.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

To a certain degree... you can say that you like how the game plays, but you can't really comment on the story because you didn't experience it. I voted No though

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

Why the hell not?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Animasta

I never finished ToV, but I loved what I played of it so sure

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Commando

Define "finish". In Super Mario 64 I killed the 3rd Bowser, but I never got all 120 stars. So I technically didn't finish the game but I still beat it.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

If you liked it enough to buy the next game then yes. I like Dragon Age Origins but its waiting til summer til i continue that however i would still call myself a fan of it. Heck i just bought a Dragon Age Origins wallet..

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

I have played hundreds of games, but probably only finished a hand-full. but im a fan of a bunch of them.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Claude
@Commando said:
" Define "finish". In Super Mario 64 I killed the 3rd Bowser, but I never got all 120 stars. So I technically didn't finish the game but I still beat it. "
You don't need 120 stars to finish Super Mario 64. Let's say, the main game...and done. On whatever difficulty.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Kyreo

I never finished Beyond Good and Evil but I think that game is great.  I would consider myself a fan.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder
@Kyreo said:
" I never finished Beyond Good and Evil but I think that game is great.  I would consider myself a fan. "
What if the game turns out to have a really crappy ending?
Also, I voted yes; I'm sure there are many people that are fans of Team Fortress 2.
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Ubik

I'm only slightly ashamed to say it, but I've played almost all of the Zelda games (with the exception of most of the GameBoy and GBA releases) and I've only ever finished 3 of them. 

I still love 'em, though.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've never finished Tetris and I'm a fan. I've never finished World of Warcraft and I'm fan. 

P.S. - The correct answer is yes. 
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By commandercup

Yeah because you don't have to reach the ending to enjoy a game. I loved FF9, but I never finished it.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

I've never beat Just Cause 2 and it's still on my top ten list regardless.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By buzz_clik

Yep, you can, because fuck anyone who tries to tell you what you do and don't like or how you choose to enjoy it.

For years I couldn't finish Impossible Mission as a kid, but that didn't stop me going back again and again and again and again and again.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Choffy

I love NBA 2K11 but you can't "finish" it. Totally possible.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Getz
@buzz_clik said:
" Yep, you can, because fuck anyone who tries to tell you what you do and don't like or how you choose to enjoy it.

For years I couldn't finish Impossible Mission as a kid, but that didn't stop me going back again and again and again and again and again. "
A-fuckin'-men
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22  Edited By Sin4profit

i have yet to finish Persona 3 but consider myself a fan of that game.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonman671

I think it depends on the game and any possible extenuating circumstances.  You can have the Elder Scrolls IV experience without ever pursuing the main storyline.  If you lose a game, or have to return it to the friend you borrowed it from you can still be a fan.

Of course, none of this really matters.  If you like a game you can call yourself a fan.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NickL

Yes. I am a fan of certain games but haven't finished them simply because I have a busy life and there are a lot of games i want to experience.

Best example of this is probably longer games like DA:O, I pretty much love that game but haven't finished it yet because it is too long.  I'm on track to finish it in about 4 months though probably!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude
@Spoonman671 said:
" I think it depends on the game and any possible extenuating circumstances.  You can have the Elder Scrolls IV experience without ever pursuing the main storyline.  If you lose a game, or have to return it to the friend you borrowed it from you can still be a fan.Of course, none of this really matters.  If you like a game you can call yourself a fan. "
I can see that. That makes this poll rather obtuse. Damn, I do that shit all the time.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

Absolutely.

The Castlevania franchise (in particular all the handheld releases) would be a big one for me. Collectively I've spent so many hours playing those games it'd be hard to not call myself a fan.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i never finished San Andreas or Vice City, but i consider myself a GTA fanboy

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iamjohn

You could maybe argue that you can't really "appreciate it" until you finish it, but sure, why not!

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A Link to the Past was my favorite Zelda for a long time (until the release of Wind Waker), but I've only just beaten it a month ago. :P

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aronman789

I never finished Super Meat Boy, but I still think it's awesome.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX

Yeah. There are games that are great but are just too damn long. See JRPGs. They're too long for me to finish but that doesn't make them bad games.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cazamalos

you can't finish WoW and WoW have lots of fan
sarcasm aside

yes you can, no one can tell you  of what you can be fan or not
dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dungbootle

I am a fan of Deadly Premonition and I've never even played it.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm conflicted over this. People like what they like, which is pretty indisputable, but I ask: how big of a fan can you be if can't bring yourself to finish the game? I'm talking about games that are narrative-focused with a clear ending and not multiplayer / sports games. Example: I tell you that I'm a huge fan of Bioshock, that I love that shit, the story was great and I can't wait for Infinite. Then you talk about the ending of Bioshock and I say "huh?" That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But that's just one possible example and not all narrative focused games are alike. Like I said. Conflict.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WickedFather
@dungbootle said:
" I am a fan of Deadly Premonition and I've never even played it. "
I'm a fan of Uncharted 2 and I've never seen it and don't have a ps3.  I also think Mass Effect 3 is rubbish.
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Sooperspy

Of Course

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hunkulese

That's kind of silly. If you were enjoying a game enough to consider yourself a fan why would you not finish the game?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Claude
@Hunkulese said:
" That's kind of silly. If you were enjoying a game enough to consider yourself a fan why would you not finish the game? "
Some games get too hard at the end. Or become repetitive.  But the journey to that point, was fan made.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Yes, there's a lot of super hard games out there that people love but will never finish, Like me with Demon's Souls, its really well made, fun to play but I cannot finish it for the life of me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

yes, you can do that. i like metal gear but i only beat the third one.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By infininja

I never finished Morrowind. One of my favorite games.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Snipzor

I have also never finished Morrowind, but I find myself in absolute awe each time I start up a new character, which is a lot. Like right now, I'm about to play it again right now, and I still have no idea what the hell goes on in the main storyline.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Games I've never finished that I love:
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (I did beat the final boss after cheating my way to the final level)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Got to the end boss, and then it glitched up and I didn't bother fixing it)

Games that aren't made to be finished that I love:
Tetris
Team Fortress 2
COD4 Multiplayer
Lumines
Mount and Blade
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karl_Boss

This reminds me that I never beat Metroid Prime 1 or 2 but got to the last boss of both.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Claude

Another good poll would be: If you have played but never finished a game...can you still dislike the game?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Claude said:
" If you have played but never finished a game...can you still dislike the game? "
Well, the answer to this one is (more) obvious than this one, at least for me. You certainly can't comment on the game as a whole, but for the parts you played, you could honestly say you disliked it. For this poll's question, however, I guess you could say you're a fan of a game even though you didn't finish it. But I'm not sure that your opinion holds much weight if you're trying to convince someone else that the game is good...? I'm really not sure what I think about this, though.

Actually, I voted "Other" but my actual answer is "No". It's delving into semantics, but you can't possibly call yourself a "fan" of a game if you didn't have enough enthusiasm for it to finish it. You can certainly say you liked/enjoyed it, but I'm not sure the word "fan" would be an appropriate definition to your feelings towards a game.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Claude
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Claude said:

" If you have played but never finished a game...can you still dislike the game? "
Well, the answer to this one is (more) obvious than this one, at least for me. You certainly can't comment on the game as a whole, but for the parts you played, you could honestly say you disliked it. For this poll's question, however, I guess you could say you're a fan of a game even though you didn't finish it. But I'm not sure that your opinion holds much weight if you're trying to convince someone else that the game is good...? I'm really not sure what I think about this, though.
Actually, I voted "Other" but my actual answer is "No". It's delving into semantics, but you can't possibly call yourself a "fan" of a game if you didn't have enough enthusiasm for it to finish it. You can certainly say you liked/enjoyed it, but I'm not sure the word "fan" would be an appropriate definition to your feelings towards a game.
"
Cat's Meow

Edit

I'm full of shit.

Truth is as truth does.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Gabriel

I didn't have to finish Red Faction Guerilla to know I really liked that game, or MGS2 man playing as Solid Snake was fun maybe I'll go back after the tanker level finally and continue playing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By JJOR64

Yes.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never finished Persona 4 because I was watching the Endurance Run as well. I played until I got near the end, then took a break and it was a hassle to get back into it (because I forgot what I was doing when I left the game) and just watched Vinny and Jeff play the end out for me instead. It's still one of my favourite games ever.