If you plan on buying a new console what are you going to do with the old one?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll If you plan on buying a new console what are you going to do with the old one? (235 votes)

I'm going to sell it or trade it in. 21%
I'm going to give it away to someone I know. 12%
I'm going to donate it. 3%
I'm going to keep it stored away in a closet 20%
I'm going to move it to another location and use it there 16%
I'm leaving it hooked up right where it is. 7%
I can't say exactly, and I don't know what you've heard, but I'm definitely not doing some weird sex thing with it. No sir. Not me. I'm not into that stuff. The person who told you that is a filthy liar. I don't know how these rumors get started. 3%
I'm doing some weird sex thing with it. 6%
I'm not telling you a dang thing, but you're going to tell me what these poll answers are. 12%

Now that new consoles are launching those of us who plan to upgrade also need to figure out what to do with the old boxes. A lot of people plan to sell or have already sold theirs. Some people like to store their old consoles for posterity's sake. For prior generations a lot of people would leave them hooked up to play older titles on, but with both the XBSX/S and PS5 being backwards compatible there's not much reason to do that with these boxes (unless you're that one guy who still has his Kinect hooked up or you're the world's biggest Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma - Volume One fan, in which case more power to you, live that Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma fan lifestyle proudly.)

So what are your plans? I don't really like selling old consoles for nostalgia and other reasons so I'm probably going to repurpose these old machines. My Xbox One X has already been hooked up to the TV on my treadmill, where it will live from now on. Playing games on the treadmill is pretty tough (I can't play anything while running but I can play some basic turn-based stuff like RPGs while briskly walking at a steep incline) but the XBOX is a very capable streaming box so it will mostly be used for that, and maybe I'll try doing some basic grinding and stuff while I'm walking on it.

I am curious as to how many people plan to sell theirs vs give it to a sibling or someone vs just keep it for whatever reason.

Also I feel like a lot of people are going to end up with a PS3 and a PS5 hooked up to their TV but no PS4, which is a little bit strange.

• 
navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve had a two Xbox setup going for a while when I lucked into a great One X deal and got too lazy to sell my launch One. It actually ended up working pretty well, with the One on the basement TV (which pairs well with my stationary bike) and the One X on the living room TV. I ended up selling the One to my cousin for beer money a few months back and miss my old setup. So once the Series X gets here the One X moves down to the basement and all will be right in the world.

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I currently have my PS4 set up in my office on a decent HD PC monitor.
The PS5 will need to go into the living room as this is where the fancy TV is at.
Will keep the PS4 up here - just saw stuff about Remote Play, that may come in handy if my wife wants to use the big TV.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rizla: Have they said anything about Vita-PS5 remote play? Was one of my favorite features from the last gen.

Serryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All my games run on the Series X, so I'm trading in my OG Xbox One tomorrow.

I actually am one of those people who loved the Kinect - - just not for gaming. I've been weaning myself off it ever since it was clear Microsoft wouldn't support the hardware on the latest consoles. It's now hooked up to my PC, serving as the most over-built consumer webcam ever made.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Burn it in a ritualistic sacrifice.

That's what everyone else does. Right?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serryl: I really liked the Kinect as a voice command thing too, but the more I found out about Alexa and all that stuff listening in on everyone the more leary I got about it until I never hooked it up to my Xbox One X, even though I did get the adapter (and still have both Kinect and adapter.) It worked really well and was easier than using voice commands with a mic.

@berfunkle: Please do not burn your PlayStation. It will release a lot of toxic fumes into the environment and is likely a health hazard. Especially do not burn your PS4 controller because that has a built in battery and burning it is no bueno.

I'm going to mark you down for the safe, sane choice that will not give you chemical burns in your lungs or cause a fire. Weird sex thing. Enjoy!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 15

I have no plans at the moment as I imagine selling anything secondhand is fraught as HELL right now. Maybe see if any online stores are taking them for credit?

That's after I get done with my weird sex thi-I MEAN AFTER I GET DONE JUST LOOKING AT IT MORE.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I can't say. My PS4 has P.T. on it, but I'm not about to sell my whole fucking PSN account just to extract value out of that. And I'm not sure I can move it to anything else; I hate horror games but it's a really fun novelty to whip out for people who've never seen it before while drinking late at night.

Depending on how the transition of power goes over the next year, I might use the PS4 to continue playing discount PS4 games I've missed and the PS5 for big new hitters. It also seems like PS4 is still a more versatile streaming box for the briefly foreseeable future?

Definitely no sex things planned, though. Not yet.

RoyalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Discless PS5 = leaving the ps4 hooked up to play blu-rays

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kemuri07

Considering that Microsoft is doing all it can to make the xbox service seamless between One and Series X, I might as well sell my One.

I'm not selling my ps4. Sony hasn't proved that it'd be safe for me to sell it with no worries. So just like how I kept my ps3, I'll keep my ps4

RockinRedBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too am keeping my PS4 for P.T. whenever the mood strikes... the horror mood, not whatever other mood the poll was talkin’ about.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

My launch PS4 has earned its rest. I can't think of anything on it that I cannot install on the PS5 or keep on external storage hooked up to the PS5 to play. That thing has served me well for seven long years and thousands of hours of gaming. Time to pack it up and let it rest until I have more space and can display my old consoles proudly.

Dirty_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a domestic abuse shelter in town that's trying to make a rec room so I'm donating my ps4 to them

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I get my cable service through my PS4 so I'm gonna move into another room and use it as a spare cable box in there.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've ended up eventually regretting it every time I've sold a console, so these days they go back in the original box and into storage.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16 csl316  Online

Once my PS5 arrives, my main TV will have 6 consoles plugged into it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What I assumed that if I ever did this, I would trade in to say, that big ole online mega store.

Donating is interesting though. I would really want to know to whom I was doing that for.

Good for you, @dirty_duck

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I offered multiple people my old PS4 after getting a PS4 Pro, but didn't have any takers, so it is in its original box in a closet. May do the same with my PS4 Pro when I ( e v e n t u a l l y ) get a PS5, but who knows. Maybe everyone will just get a PS5 as well.

TheGreatChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might trade it in, but if the next system is an Xbox I will keep my PS4, if not I might trade it in.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to use my PS4 as a PS5 stand.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gave my One X to my son to replace his launch Xbox One (which he pretty much only uses for Destiny 2 these days). The OG XB1 will either be traded in, or just stored in the loft if it's not worth trading in.

jediverrilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave my Xbox one X to my younger brother and traded in his OG Xbox.

Later today I’m trading in my PS4 Pro for a PS5 cause that thing retails for 630$ up here I’m Canada

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaving it hooked up for review purposes. I have moved it to another part of the entertainment centre, though. My PS2 is now bagged up instead and the PS5 will go where the PS4 used to sit.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably gonna give PS4 to my daughter when she gets a bit bigger.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sold my PS4 about a month ago to get money for the PS5. I would have kept it around but most of my PS4 games will work on PS5 so it's not a deal breaker for me. Still got a PS3 around though.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Currently have an original Xbox one and a 1X hooked up one upstairs one downstairs. whoever has to go upstairs to play multiplayer is typically the one that draws the short end of the stick, but with the ability to move the 1X up there and have the series x downstairs, we could all be doing sweet sweet 4K party time action. Seriously though the way the Microsoft lets you share your games across multiple consoles as long as someone signed in is amazing and has led to many amazing moments in the house playing games like Sea of thieves etc

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Keeping my PS4. I still wanna see my Senran Kagura .jpegs.

sjaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Going to put it in my storage, telling myself I will definitely boot it up to play a certain game I really need to play in the future, but eventually forget about it when playing on the new console. When moving out to a new place I will think about throwing it away, but then put it in storage again, because of dumb feelings and forget about it, again. Its how I got a stack of PSones to threes in different versions in my closet collecting dust and memories, definitely going to boot them up in the future, I guess.

Its a never ending cycle, which only cloud gaming can change.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I’ll be lending my One X to my roommate for his schools gaming club.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted "leave it where it is," but for me it's actually halfway between that and "move to a new location." My setup has been weird for a while now, and the new console won't actually make it any less weird, just slightly less finicky.

Right now I have my PS4 hooked up to my TV, and until a few years ago I had a laptop hooked up on a chair to the right of it in order to be able to watch TV/Netflix/whatever while I'm playing games.

Then the laptop died. In response, rather than doing the sensible thing of buying a smaller new TV or some kind of tablet, I hooked my PS3 up to to a second monitor and a backup set of speakers. I never play games on it anymore, just watch stuff on it while playing games on my PS4. But it's a very imperfect solution for that. Some of the problems are both ridiculous and a little hilarious.

For one, even though I rarely watch Twitch, the PS3 Twitch app just straight doesn't work, meaning GB live Twitch streams just haven't been an option for me on PS3 (nor are other live non-YouTube GB streams for that matter). For premium content I've usually just download videos onto a flash drive and watched them that way. Another weird problem is that my PS3 controller now keeps turning off every ten minutes even though I keep it plugged in via USB always... and, even weirder, for some reason I cannot turn the controller back on as long as the USB cable is still plugged in, I have to unplug the USB cable, power the controller on, then plug the cable back in every time it turns off and I want to pause the video or whatever. Lastly, if I am playing a video from a flash drive, when I turn the controller back on, the PS3 will eject the USB and lose its memory of any progress in watching the video... a problem that can be got around by copying videos to the HDD first. But, man... those are some bizarre bugs I've been dealing with.

In any case, I managed to secure a PS5 order from Walmart during their third restock window on launch day, and it's supposed to arrive by November 25 (hasn't shipped yet). But when it arrives, my plan is to finally retire my tired old PS3 Slim, which has seen 11 long years of service without needing repair, and move my PS4 over to take its place as what amounts to a massively bulky, overpriced, and inefficient Roku. Maybe at some point I'll decide to do the more sensible thing and buy some new stuff like an actual TV and dedicated streaming device for this purpose, but for the near future I'll stick with my weird cheapskate solution and see how I feel about it. It should be a lot more convenient, at least. I mean, the PS4 web browser still sucks, but at least I can watch GB video directly through it. And I shouldn't have any of that weird PS3 controller nonsense to deal with anymore!

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

I will probably give my Xbox One X to a friend. I still have an Xbox One S, that I primarily use as a 4K blu-ray player. The PS4 has not been replaced yet, so it will still have a home on the entertainment stand until the day a PS5 replaces it.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've moved my One X to my kids' room, but I hadn't anticipated we wouldn't be able to play on both at the same time.

It's an improvement them having a console to themselves, but not ideal that we still can't play at the same time.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberbloke: What do you mean you can't play at the same time? Do you mean that you can't play on the same account at the same time? Why not just give them their own Xbox accounts to play with? If you're worried about accessing digital games tied to a single account I believe you can get around that by setting their Xbox to the "home" Xbox, which allows anybody to play games from whatever account it is the home Xbox of, and then logging in on the other Xbox and playing whatever you want while logged into the account. It wouldn't let you play online at the same time on one Gold account, but I believe that you would be able to play different games simultaneously.

Avatar image for tevor_the_third
Tevor_the_Third

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the "time to put it away!" mentality and I never will.

My PS4 has something like 250 games installed that cost me what? Thousands of dollars? Also it's of note that lots of them are games that you don't "finish" then never touch again. I'm just going to shove that in a closet because a new thing came out? Hard pass.

Maybe someday when storage isn't an issue. But filling a PS5 with a fraction of my PS4 collection seems like a silly thing to do.

For the handful of games that benefit from PS5 you can install them over there but why waste drive space on the rest?

For what it's worth though I might finally put away my PS3. Maybe. There's still a couple games left on there I'd not want to lose access to but it is getting down to a pretty small amount.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Burn it in a ritualistic sacrifice.