If you were hired to develop a game...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Imagine you were contacted to develop a videogame, a sequel to a game already existing.

What game would you like to develop?

And what changes would you bring to the sequel?

There is a rule to this: you can only choose a game that hasn't been released yet, or not even announced.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mosdl

Alpha Centauri - I would make it an FPS and laugh at all the people complaining. And then cancel it a week before it is released.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By dagas

Skies of Arcadia 2. I would focus more on the ship to ship battles and make that more of a challange and basically just add a ton of new stuff like new ships to fly and new ships to fight. I'd lower the encounter rate of random battles.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

Mirror's Edge 2. No hesitation in deciding it either. For one I love the architectural design of the platforming puzzles (or put another way, the layout of obstacles that allows you to flow throughout the level). Two, I think there are lots of interesting things you can do with co-op and competitive multiplayer modes (co-op time trials where one player affects the environment to create new paths for the other player and competitive deliver the message bag for example). Three, I think the fiction is actually interesting with quality setting, characters and conflict (conflict in a plot device sense not a game mechanic sense. The game mechanic of shooting dudes was kind of sluggish but not unfixable for a sequel).

Now that I think about it Mirror's Edge 2 might actually be announced but other than the announcement it seems to be a dead project, on the back burner while Dice makes Battlefield 3 or being developed very quietly and not being shown till it's super polished and ready to ship.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I'd make a Modern Warfare sequel, and make it into Battlefield lolamirite

But seriously, I would choose to make a Metroid Prime sequel (yes, I know there are technically two sequels already, but I'd make a fourth.) In fact, with the changes I'd be making to the themes and tone of the series, calling it a direct sequel might be a bit misleading. Maybe it'd be more fair to call it a spinoff, a la the DS Prime. Anyways, I'd take that isolation and those monsters that have always been such a key component of the Metroid series, and twist them through a survival horror lens. In this Metroid, losing all of your powers in the beginning wouldn't just be a bummer from a gameplay and exploration perspective: without those enhancements, it'll be almost impossible for Samus to survive. Alone and without any communication to the rest of the galaxy, you'll control Samus from a first person perspective as she travels through dank caverns, thick forests, and foreboding alien structures in search of her missing armor components and scattered ship parts. But watch out, because monsters more horrifying than anything Samus has faced before lie dormant in the planet itself.

If you think about it, the Prime games already have all of the elements of a great survival horror game: that sense of isolation, the big environments open to exploration and full of puzzles, the dramatic lighting and sound direction.. all it would need is a little shove to send it off in an entirely new and captivating direction.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Mastercheesey

A franchise that I couldn't fuck up

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd make Toy Commander 2. The time is ripe. I'd add out-of-vehicle action as a plastic green soldier man. And the house would be a sandbox. And it's fully destructible.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ervonymous

A new Rhythm Heaven/Paradise game for a handheld. Simple enough, get someone to do the music and I'd try and come up with some ridiculous rhythmic scenarios.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

I would make another Doom game. I would just revamp the whole series and just call it Doom, both because I dont want to call something Doom 4 and to piss off fans. I will lock John Carmac in a basement for a full year with nothing but a toilet, bed, and a computer so he can crank out an even better engine then the rage engine. Then I go to work making the greatest corridor shooter ever. And all guns can get a flashlight attached to it.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Levius

I'd make a new Burnout game and get rid of all the open world stuff, returning the game to proper race tracks. This would aid the game in two ways, firstly you would always be near the other cars so you have to fight for each place, where most the fun of the game comes from. Secondly, with set courses you don't have to worry about looking at the map every ten seconds rather than racing and you can have more interesting and outrageous locations and roads that may not make scene on an world map.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By YoungFrey

Blast Corps 
First, I'd remove the racing sections.  A game about blowing up buildings doesn't need filler, it's needs more buildings to blow up.  I'd also remove the out-of-vehicle exploration.  In a game with tons of crazy vehicles, walking miles in a tunnel from a high-overhead view is dumb.
I'd license the Red Faction tech because those guys have made an amazing building destruction engine.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  From there it's just making new levels and vehicles. 
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'd make a sequel to Crackdown that wasn't garbage.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ninjakiller

I'd do a Jet Moto relaunch, but i'd make the energy pillar grappling easier and just go crazy with them.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dingofighter

A new Mass Effect game, I would probably make it an adventure game or an RPG less focused on combat.

Maybe make something similar to L.A.Noire set on the Citadel as a member of C-Sec, slowly working your way up the ranks until you finally get to go outside the Citadel and solve crimes around the galaxy.

I just want to be able to explore that universe more...

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

@mosdl said:

Alpha Centauri - I would make it an FPS and laugh at all the people complaining. And then cancel it a week before it is released.

I can see that happening what a cruel joke!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

A Mass Effect sequel that was actually an RPG. 

:)

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta

I'd get an the IP rights to long forgotten but beloved game and then rape it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

Like Mass Effect crossed with Hornblower/Sharpe.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

GTA5. Aimin' high, yo.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clonedzero

if i were involved in a game, i'd probably wanna do an RPG and make neat unique sidequests. that'd probably be fun.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By tourgen
@Jeust: Dungeon Master III and I'd roll in some Dark Crypt style
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Sooty

ChuChu Rocket 2, XBLA/PSN/Steam release with updated online play and hopefully cross platform play between PS3 and PC.

Aimed at the $15 range, would be fucking great.

Or just re-release the first ChuChu Rocket, I would love to see that game come out again, so much fun.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I would remake Battlefield 2, make millions of copies and give them away for free, then escape to south america and play the new BF2 online until i die

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

i would say something that can't be messed up. yeah, it would be cool.

resident evil 6 would be cool. i would make it like 4, vendor (what are you buying? what are you selling? hehehe thank you. i'll buy it at a fair price. NOT ENOUGH MONEY. ) good times hearing that all the time.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Maluvin

I'd do a sequel to Planescape: Torment. I think I'd ditch the isometric Infinity Engine style interface (sorry but it's dated at this point) and go for something similar to Vampire: Bloodlines with the idea being that instead of picking a "clan" as a class you'd pick one of the Factions with associated perks, penalties, and story. I'd make advancement skill focused rather than class focused so that the player wouldn't be restricted to a strict skillset.

There would be an overarching shared story/setting but the player's objective would be focused on approaching it from the perspective of your ideological faction. Obviously there would be plenty of your standard combat and exploration like you find in Vampire, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.. The underlying meta-goal much like Torment is to come to some sort of revelation or understanding about what your Faction means philosophical and how you do or don't fit into that and the consequences of that philosophy verses the rest of the ideas around Sigil.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikeGosot

I would love to make Fallout 4. I don't know if the changes i would make would satisfy the fans, but still... I would add some kind of vehicle, a proper meele system, better weapons, more wicked-retro stuff, more wicked-retro comedy, and very "grey" decisions and factions.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar

Id make GT6 and keep delaying it for ten years while I keep driving awesome cars for "research" purposes.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Alpha Protocol 2. And I wouldn't change a damn thing from the original, just make it more polished.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GoodKn1ght

Shadow run, sooo much potential but not there yet....

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Duke Nukem Forever 2

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By themangalist

I would make a game about zombies that could swim, or zombies having a good fun lemon party.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Neverwinter Nights 3. I know it's out of character for me.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Solemn

Crimson Skies 2.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CaptainObvious

Make that Blaxploitation game I always wanted and slap some popular franchise's name to it.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seesic

Shenmue 3 because someone needs to do it

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By captain_clayman

@Mastercheesey said:

A franchise that I couldn't fuck up

dynasty warriors? like no matter what you do, it's always just...

dynasty warriors.

Zombaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zombaholic

Mystical Ninja starring Gatekeeper.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points