#1  Edited By christ0phe
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ThePickle

Their 2011 GOTY was Portal 2? I have newfound respect for IGN all of a sudden.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alternate

@ThePickle said:

Their 2011 GOTY was Portal 2? I have newfound respect for IGN all of a sudden.

Publishers don't pay for GOTY awards so they can choose games they actually like :p

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By handlas

mmm sorry to be a negative Nancy but ... wasn't that great. I certainly expect much more out of GiantBomb's GOTY videos.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

Pfft... Portal 2 GOTY 2011? It's worse than it's predecessor in a year where Skyrim and SAINTS ROW THE MUTHA FUCKIN THIRD came out.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By pyromagnestir

Journey eh? Commendable choice! Between that and Fallout 3 and Portal 2 I might take IGN's GOTY's over Giant Bomb's... If only one of them had gotten it right and given 09 to Batman.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

That was a fantastic example of understanding subtlety. It was a way better method than just showing a few short video clips and quickly saying "it's great, you should play it".

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon

if Journey is taking GOTY prizes, this was a worse year for games than I thought.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL

And to think just a few short years ago they were responsible for this monstrosity...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

that was lame.

right off the bat you know it's journey, but instead of showing or talking about why it's great, let's just draw your attention to all these other games that are great, and then end it with the journey person and call it a video.

nice music though.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Oh man how could they give it to journey, there are no fail states in that game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikemcn

@TheHT said:

right off the bat you know it's journey, but instead of showing or talking about why it's great, let's just draw your attention to all these other games that are great, and then end it with the journey person and call it a video.

I'm sure there was deeper coverage of it somewhere else. The video is just an elaborate way of revealing the name of the game.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RadixNegative2

That was great. Much better than I expected, both in respect to presentation and choice of game.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vikingdeath1

@MEATBALL said:

And to think just a few short years ago they were responsible for this monstrosity...

wait.... that's not just some bad fan made thing?

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Drebin_893

Fuck yeah Journey! And fuck yeah Portal 2!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Animasta

@Oldirtybearon said:

if Journey is taking GOTY prizes, this was a worse year for games than I thought.

don't be like that, come on, people have differing tastes and journey is one of those either you love it or hate it games anyway (afaik, I haven't played it because I don't have a PS3).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

@Mikemcn said:

@TheHT said:

I'm sure there was deeper coverage of it somewhere else. The video is just an elaborate way of revealing the name of the game.

yeah, you're probably right. looking at the video alone though just left me saying "well... ok then"

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DoctorWelch

@MEATBALL: They didn't actually make that...did they...did they?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts

Wait theres a bit of hate for journey going on here? I was under the impression that everyone loved it. I havent played it yet and im interested to see how multiplayer with no chat is so special in this game. Maybe there is something else to it because co op with no chat is not new.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sooty

I will continue not understanding the hype for Journey, and yeah I played it.

@Andorski said:

Pfft... Portal 2 GOTY 2011? It's worse than it's predecessor in a year where Skyrim and SAINTS ROW THE MUTHA FUCKIN THIRD came out.

It wasn't worse, better puzzles and better humour. At least it's consistent in quality unlike Skyrim which has copy and pasted caves/dungeons after the first hour, you see one you see them all.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By billyhoush

I'm glad downloadable games have been huge contenders this year.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

don't be like that, come on, people have differing tastes and journey is one of those either you love it or hate it games anyway (afaik, I haven't played it because I don't have a PS3).

Journey is a half-decent platformer centered around exploration. The problem I have with Journey winning GOTY has more to do with the people voting it in wanting to reward preposterous, pretentious wank-bait. Then again, if nothing else came out this year that was outright better than pretentious wank-bait, then the industry failed as a whole.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kishinfoulux

IGN trying for some indie cred and failing miserably. Fuck them and Journey.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

You people just suck.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By kindgineer

I wish I would've been able to enjoy Journey like every human on the planet seems to be doing. It felt empty and pointless to me and lost my attention very quickly. Oh well!

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jdh5153

@handlas said:

mmm sorry to be a negative Nancy but ... wasn't that great. I certainly expect much more out of GiantBomb's GOTY videos.

same. Besides Black Ops II is goty.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Andorski

@Sooty said:

@Andorski said:

It wasn't worse, better puzzles and better humour. At least it's consistent in quality unlike Skyrim which has copy and pasted caves/dungeons after the first hour, you see one you see them all.

Don't see how you can argue overall better level design when every outdoor area consisted of you looking for only pair of white walls you could shoot portals on to solve the puzzle. Not to mention that the paint mechanic not only felt tagged on merely to lengthen game time but was also not done as well as the student project TAG: The Power of Paint.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By casper_

Journey is winning all kinds of GOTY's

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By pr1mus

@believer258 said:

That was a fantastic example of understanding subtlety. It was a way better method than just showing a few short video clips and quickly saying "it's great, you should play it".

You speak the truth.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Phatmac

There sure are a bunch of assholes in this thread. Lighten up folks. Journey is a great game.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Giantstalker

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Oh man how could they give it to journey, there are no fail states in that game.

I know, right? I mean, I understand everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but Journey is kind of lacking in a lot of ways. I would not consider it a good game.

Well, good to have yet another reason not to visit IGN.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By handlas

@jdh5153 said:

@handlas said:

same. Besides Black Ops II is goty.

Well...for the people getting their panties in a bunch... the thread title clearly says "the video is beautiful." Not "great job IGN on your choice for GOTY!"

The video was lazy and uninspired. The GOTY pick was fine. Whatever. I didn't play all of Journey only a bit of it. Seems fine. Great art style. Walking Dead is more deserving. Uh oh.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikeGosot
@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

To be fair, i thought Journey was mediocre... I even posted about it on a thread and i think i even posted it on the unpopular opinions thread.
jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jimmyfenix

Finally a ps3 game

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By emem

So this thread is about the video, right? I think it's very nice. 

(And I think Journey is a worthy winner)

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EVO

Glad to see Journey getting the props it deserves. Whether Journey resonated with you or not, you can't argue that for a lot of people it did, more so than any other game this year.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By WightnNerdy

@Oldirtybearon said:

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By flasaltine

Jouney is all right. The gameplay is almost nonexistent and I definitely didn't have an emotion fucking experience with it or cry or any of that bullshit. It does have fantastic visuals and music though.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EXTomar

Journey is good stuff and I'm glad it gets recognition. It is the core ideals of "the hero's journey" for a game stripped down to almost nothing and is definitely worth playing. Journey is also a game that shows how silly Game of the Year can be because it isn't comparable to most other games.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shiftymagician

Perfect choice in my opinion. People have a right to dislike the game out of personal preference and subjective experiences, however their inability to understand how one can see how this game could be GoTY just disappoints me. I don't think Walking Dead is GoTY material at all but can see how one may see it that way and can respect it without being tasteless or rude about it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By project343

@Sooty said:

@Andorski said:

I feel like I need to interject here.

1. Saints Row: The Third is great, but better than Portal 2? Ridiculous. It is a well written bombastic GTA game that embraces that bombast wholeheartedly. But the DLC sucks, the sidequests are a waste of time, the melee combat is infuriating, and the gunplay is (as is the standard for this genre) pretty shitty. The reason people should play that game is for the novelty of the main story's handful of hit comedic moments and the gameplay that hilariously accompanies those comedic hits. But it is a silly novelty surrounded by hardly serviceable mechanics... mechanics that are forgiven and ignored for being accompanied by the before-mentioned bombast.
  2. Portal 2's puzzles were significantly more varied, interesting, and organic than its predecessor. However, I'd argue to my grave that Portal 2's writing felt significantly more formulaic and forced than the 'breath-of-fresh-wind' original game. I think a lot of this has to do with two facts: they were directly aping on their previous work (the addition of two new characters did little to remedy that), and they had to stretch that 120 minute experience across 6 hours. Every test chamber quickly fell into the formula of: 'oh great, what witty, dry, sarcastic thing is she going to harp at me this time?'. Rinse and repeat across 6 hours while substituting in two other single-voice characters every now and then. Don't get me wrong though, Portal 2 had some brilliant moments. The lemon speech? Among my favourite quotes... ever. But the only reason that worked so well was because it stood distinctly apart from its predecessor and the repetitive comedic content in the prior 4 hours.
  3. Sooty, you are comparing a 150+ hour experience to a 6-hour experience. People play The Elder Scrolls for huge worlds with tons of dungeons and quests; moreover, Skyrim's dungeon design was leaps and bounds better than Oblivion's in terms of 'copy and paste' dungeon design. Remember: Oblivion had no random dungeon puzzles, hardly any traps and no unique elements to any dungeon: it was literally just a copy and paste of a handful of tilesets and monster spawns. I dare you to name me a modern WRPG with a comparative quality/value ratio of content... if such a thing exists, I don't think I've played it.

@Flacracker said:

Jouney is all right. The gameplay is almost nonexistent and I definitely didn't have an emotion fucking experience with it or cry or any of that bullshit. It does have fantastic visuals and music though.

So much of the (generalized) 'gameplay experience' is about movement through spaces. And I'd argue that Journey has some of the best feeling 'movement' of any game ever made. While it certainly isn't my GOTY, I think you have to give the game credit for what it does do rather than punish it for what it doesn't. It would be like punishing Borderlands 2 for not having really impressive scripted story sequences (ala Call of Duty or Half-Life 2) when I should be applauding the game for having great gunplay, spectacular coop support, and really solid RPG elements.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By yinstarrunner

An overly pretentious video for an overly pretentious game (not saying it's bad, I didn't enjoy it though).

I'm not gonna say Journey is a bad choice for GotY, considering this year's roster is chock full of games I just couldn't bring myself to care about.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AssInAss

@Oldirtybearon said:

The trolling is strong in this one. Great year for the smaller games, while the risk-averse AAA games saw their downfall.

Talk of GOTY stuff brings out the worst competitive side of gamers.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AssInAss said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

The trolling is strong in this one. Great year for the smaller games, while the risk-averse AAA games saw their downfall.

Yes, I'm totally trolling because I think Journey was an overrated, mediocre platformer with a try-hard attitude and a butterfinger's grasp of subtle symbolism.

You're usually smarter than this.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By pyromagnestir

@project343 said:

1. Saints Row: The Third is great, but better than Portal 2? Ridiculous. It is a well written bombtastic GTA game that embraces that bombtast wholeheartedly.

fixed.

And you're a tad harsh on Saint's Row. "hardly serviceable mechanics" and "pretty shitty" gunplay? Personally I thought the mechanics were fine, and thinking back on something like a Binary Domain, Saint's Row's gunplay was about on par with that, I think. The enemies in Binary Domain were a little more fun to kill, what with them falling apart as you blasted them, but the actual act of aim at enemy, shoot enemy was equally doable in those games.

Although maybe I just don't understand what people are actually talking about when they complain about mechanics and gunplay. As long as I can aim at and shoot what I intended too and do whatever else I intend without anything fucking up I tend to think those things are fine.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AssInAss

@Oldirtybearon said:

@AssInAss said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Yes, I'm totally trolling because I think Journey was an overrated, mediocre platformer with a try-hard attitude and a butterfinger's grasp of subtle symbolism.

When you give no context and leave a drive-by post like that, sounds like a tryhard post. At least you gave reasons this time around.

How was this a worse year for games? Plenty of great original games of all varieties, no clear standout AAA winner since demeaning returns on franchises so it was all down to personal preference. I find that a better year than most.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hunkulese

@Oldirtybearon said:

2012 was one of the best years there's ever been for games. There are at least 10 games that could have won game of the year and because IGN's tastes don't match your own the entire year sucked? I definitely wouldn't have picked Journey as my game of the year but I can see why someone else might and them doing so has no effect on how I see the rest of the year.

Just because there wasn't the one or two "best game ever" games doesn't mean it was a crappy year.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bacongames

That was pretty well done, and it's a game worthy of an award. Who cares if you disagree, IGN through whatever process they had decided that was the game of the year for them and I can totally see that.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AssInAss said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@AssInAss said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

When you give no context and leave a drive-by post like that, sounds like a tryhard post. At least you gave reasons this time around.

How was this a worse year for games? Plenty of great original games of all varieties, no clear standout AAA winner since demeaning returns on franchises so it was all down to personal preference. I find that a better year than most.

It wasn't a post without context. If a game like Journey, which is mediocre (not bad), can win a large site's GOTY award that means the rest of the industry was caught sleeping. Whether that's the AAA development houses or the people still in the downloadable space, nobody put a game out that was head and shoulders above the benchmark. There was no clear-cut game you could point to this year and say "That was ambitious. That did everything it set out to to do. That deserves a Game of the Year nod."

Let's run down even some of what I would've considered GOTY contenders but, ultimately, failed in their endeavours.

Hotline Miami - despite an alluring gameplay loop that keeps your higher brain functions sedated with thumping rhythms and a visual style that pops with blood and colour in equal measure, there's a laundry list of game-breaking bugs and technical hurdles that keeps it from taking a clear stand over any other game. Oh, and there's a well told, subtle narrative that is told mostly through gameplay. If this game wasn't so broken, I'd probably say it's GOTY hands down.

Spec Ops: The Line - this game is subversive and its narrative is a critical deconstruction of everything a military shooter is. That's cool as hell. They also accomplish most of what they set out to do, but the problem with Spec Ops is the act of actually playing it. While the mechanics are fine, there's nothing in the gameplay that propels you along, unless you just want to see the next step in the story. If that's the case, dying repeatedly and dealing with the subpar level design can leave you feeling frustrated and, ultimately, like the game wasn't worth your time or money.

Halo 4 - this game should've been so much more than just another Halo. Halo 3 left Master Chief and Cortana in unknown territory with a million different directions that the story (and gameplay) could've evolved to. Instead, 343 Industries spends a ten hour game working their way back to square one. Oh, and did I mention that the enemy AI was worse than it has been since the first Halo game? Playing on Heroic or Legendary isn't a brain-crippling battle of wits with the AI in 4, it's downright cheap.

Diablo 3 - It was the most frightening case of an abusive relationship between developer and player I've ever seen. In my decades of gaming, I have honestly never seen a developer so driven to completely destroy any semblance of player agency or freedom of choice in their game. It's gross and depressing when you consider that Blizzard looked at everything that made Diablo 2 special and said "Let's do the opposite of that."

Dust: An Elysian Tail - terrible voice work hampered by laughably bad art and gameplay that looks 60fps but feels sub-twenty. The whole "It was made by one guy!" argument doesn't give you any credibility when you consider the art is terrible, the gameplay feels like ass, and the production quality looks worse than a 5th grader's first attempt at Macromedia Flash.

The Walking Dead - While I personally loved this game and felt the emotional kick in the stones that was the season finale, I can't in good conscience say that The Walking Dead deserves a GOTY nod. Not because "it's not a gaem," but because this game was hindered by the overwhelming reach of its technical issues and game-breaking bugs. Lose your save lately? Or are you playing it on consoles? Hope you like 5fps frame rates in that case. The game struggled to even perform on an idle screen. And that's a damn shame.

Mass Effect 3 - Dude, if I even have to explain this...

There. That's seven games that were promising pre-release, and wound up being huge disappointments or outright failures. The list doesn't end with these games, though. I could go on to list games like Max Payne 3 and Syndicate. But that's not the point.

The point is, and this is what's so depressing about this situation, is that there was an incredible amount of potential for a wide variety of games to excel. Hell, Borderlands 2 should've been in the top 5 for GOTY (at least by my pre-release estimation), but it wound up being a good-but-not-great looter-shooter with no real replay value. It's been a disappointing year all things considered, and if Journey can clean up in the awards department, that only serves to underscore how badly everyone else dropped the ball.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm

@project343 said:

1. [...] and the gunplay is pretty shitty. [...] by hardly serviceable mechanics...

Hey wait, we're talking about Saints Row: The Third, not Grand Theft Auto IV, man. Not sure how you managed to confuse the two.