I'm curious; How do primarily access the site and is the redesign better for you?

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Poll I'm curious; How do primarily access the site and is the redesign better for you? (159 votes)

I use a computer (desktop/laptop) and I like it. 28%
I use a computer (desktop/laptop) and I don't like it. 53%
I use a mobile device (phone/tablet) and I like it. 4%
I use a mobile device (phone/tablet) and I don't like it. 7%
Indifferent/Results 8%

Just to be clear, this poll and thread are not about what specifically you do or do not like about the redesign; there are other threads for that. I'm more interested in seeing if there is some correlation between how we access the site and whether or not we like the new design. Mods, feel free to lock this down if it gets out of hand or too off topic, or you feel it's too similar to other threads. If the later, I apologize.

I almost exclusively use my desktop for everything online and I really don't like it. I did check it out on my phone and it looks a little better there, but that's not what I use. Weirdly, it also looked ever so slightly better on my second monitor (an old 4:3, 1280x1024) than on my main one (16:9, 1920x1080). Something about the horizontal width, I guess.

So, what do you use? Do you like/hate the new design everywhere? Is it better on one thing than another if you use multiple devices?

• 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

As someone who watches all the content on Youtube and the podcast on a general podcasting app, the new site is a massive improvement for their content. Makes it a lot more pleasant to watch their stuff directly now.

As for hardware, I never had a reason to watch GB on a mobile device due to data caps.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm a desktop user who wants as much information on the screen as possible so i don't have to go looking for it.
As such the new site is god awful, the new layout makes no sense.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Panfoot

My use is 100% desktop use and the biggest problems for me are.

1. Hate that the top of the front page is a single video that takes up 80% of the window, I really dislike that I have to scroll halfway down to see the "Latest" section. The first thing I like to do when I get on the site is see at a glance all the stuff i've missed over the past couple of days. I do really like the "This Day in Giant Bomb History" section though.

2. The Shows page, I much prefer a drop down list with just text displaying all the shows rather than a mile long page with giant graphics for each(with Quick Looks in the middle for some reason).

3. The video pages themselves, I really miss having a direct link to the wiki page for the game right on the page, now if I want to check the forums for a game I'm watching a quick look of I have to manually search the wiki for it. Also I dislike the organization of the "More Episodes of ____", why is the newest episode of Unprofessional Fridays the LAST video in the 2018 section?

I know it's still new and will take some getting used to...but I just don't quite get a lot of the decisions that were made with it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I use a desktop or laptop 50% of the time and I use the browser on my PS4 Pro 50% of the time. I am sure I am a minority, but I do use my PS4 for most DVD, YouTube, and Giant Bomb video content at home. I don't require it to be 100%, but a solid 80% functionlity on the PS4 Pro is very handy for how I consume media. (So good job on the new site...because it works as well as I need on PS4 - so far)

Last night I used my PS4 to check the new site and had no issues, or no issues that were not the same as I had before with the old site on PS4. On thing I did not test, was the site own playback for podcasts. I had been able to get my PS4 to play the site's audio player in the past...but that seemingly stopped working several months ago. If I could get the audio player working on PS4 that would be helpful, but not crusical.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mainly watch on my iPad. The new site is fine. I wish "latest" was the first section under the big thibg/current live show thing. But in general, I don't really have an issue. It deffo feels more like a ntefix style experience than the old site.....which makes sense as video is really what most of us are here for I assume.

One weird thing I found was.....

I went to watch beast in the east from the start, and on the default carousel view of episodes, it seemed to start at ep 4 and I had to switch to Grid view to go any further back..odd.

Anyways, yeah, it's fine is my takeaway.

blacks329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90% of my content viewing is on the Apple TV app actually. The rest is mostly iPad and occasionally on my laptop. The new redesign is mostly okay. There’s always been weird loading issues when they updated the video player some time in the last year or maybe longer on my iOS devices. But with the redesign I haven’t been able to get a video to load on mobile safari at all.

Visually appealing, definitely and ultimately better from an organization standpoint. I was actually surprised they pulled the trigger so soon with such a short beta, I expected it would be a few months of betas, but I guess it’s working for most.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Efesell

I use Desktop and PS4 and functionally the site is...fine. If they stop videos from autoplaying I won't have too many complaints.

Visually I just think it's all bad. Nothing about the whole aesthetic works for me, but ultimately I just want to watch the content.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m cool with it.

I’m a phone user who mostly goes to /forums and watches video on Roku.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Need an option for people that use both desktop and mobile.

Anyways, I use both, and I don't like it. The "III" icon on my phone's browser (safari) doesn't work at all on my phone making the site essentially unusable, and the desktop site feels empty and sterile with a combination of things either taking up too much space, too much blank space, or blatantly missing things like certain shows from the appropriate categories. I also don't like the dark theme, although I can look past that one because of the headache involved in creating and maintaining multiple themes.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if i'm engaging with the website- it's through a desktop browser. i think the current design looks decent on an ipad- but i'm really not a fan when using a traditional pc.

i get that it's optimized for browsing and serving video content...but when i just want the videos i use an app (such as video bomb on android).

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I use an iPad 90 percent of the time, am mostly indifferent leaning towards negative to the new site but really I interact with Giant Bomb primarily via the Video Buddy app and come to the site for content it can’t handle as a second choice option.

Video Buddy is a straight up text list of videos, colored white if you haven’t watched them, greyed out once you have, with a small window for a preview thumbnail, video deck with an attribution for who wrote/posted it, an option for video category and a simple search function. It is exactly what I want from a content perusal and binging point of view. A giant list with a ton of information presented quickly and simply with more information a single finger tap or search away.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Nodima

Mostly desktop, sometimes forums on mobile. I think the homepage is a bit disorganized feeling but as I understand it this design is incredibly flexible for them behind the scenes so I think they'll figure it out over time. I miss the decks and hope they can find a way to bring those back (to be clear, I'm still a homepage person despite so many web publishers declaring me a dying breed, so these comments are all related to navigating to giantbomb.com and going from there). I think the video player and snappiness of everything is a real charmer, and while I'm not sure why I'd flip between the audio and video version of the podcast, it's a rad trick (plus it's nice to have a progress bar for the Beastcast, same as videos on the odd occasion I wind up listening to it on desktop rather than Podcasts).

I don't mind the big video up front, but I'm admittedly a sucker for design that says "here's the shiniest, newest thing we've got!"

Unfortunately, as I've said way too many times in way too many threads at this point, the lack of a white-on-black format makes the forums hard for me to scan for more than four or five minutes at a time before my eyes hurt, and swapping back and forth from forums to any other site can cause me to feel like I'm going cross-eyed. If the backend for the front page design is as flexible as they say it is it seems weird to me that there isn't some way for them to invert colors relatively easily. For now, I just use the invert color shortcut in OS X, but that's not a reasonable solution long term IMO.

heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By heghmohqib

I'm glad this thread got started. I feel like it's the very core of the all the issues. The site was redesigned to give a little more usability to mobile devices. Unfortunately, that requires sacrificing some of the traditional desktop usability. Instead of trying to maintain a mobile version of the site (like so many other websites) or building an official app for everything, they threw all their eggs in one basket. And I will admit, it does look pretty sharp on my phone. Works pretty great, too. The problem is, I absolutely never use this site on my phone. I've only ever used this site on a desktop. Always have, always will.

Can't make every body happy all of the time but you sure can make a lot of people mad all of the time.

IBMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IBMer

It's worse on mobile and a complete disaster on PC, it's seriously the worst site redesign I have ever experienced

Who. Does. THIS? Is it GiantBomb or GiantWallpapers?

The main page is only one problem, the site in general feels half baked and less intuitive to use. The previous site wasn't even looking outdated so why fix what isn't broken?

This version of the site has so many baffling design choices, being ugly would be one sin but the site is much less functional on top of that.

I'm not trying to be a dick but whoever designed this site and whoever green lit it really needs a wake up call, it's that bad.