I'm making a Point and Click adventure and I'm surprisingly hyped

Buf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Buf

So here's the deal. I'm roughly in Alex's age range. I was working in "Gaming" in the widest sense for a bunch of years now, but I never was able to make my own thing. Youtube didn't stick, Websites didn't stick. While I was at least _somewhat_ good at most things, I was never exceptionally great at anything and lost interest after realizing it's doomed to fail regardless.

Now, after getting out of a horrible job apart from my usual forte and nearly falling into a heavy depression because of it, my Psychiologist (sp? I'm from Germany, I'm sorry >.<) encouraged me to get a hobby I genuinely like while searching for my next job.

I figured I could do all those small things. I can draw (somewhat), I can compose (somewhat), I can use editing tools (somewhat) and maybe I can (somewhat) write coherent stories - but no guarantees on this one. Why not putting all of it together and finally, beginning my forties, starting to produce something I might genuinely love.

So in November I began my first work on Orbis Fugae, a point&click adventure with the twist of featuring more of an escape room puzzle style, which is kinda hard to explain. I guess it's best described by "you'll have to actually figure out which of the things you're seeing is actually a solution for a puzzle you're stuck on", as opposed to "just" combining everything with anything. At least, that's the idea behind it. We'll see if I actually can deliver on my own expectations.

Well, what's great is that I actually stuck with it. The game is still far, far from completion, obviously, but it's available for wishlisting on Steam now. It's got a Steam entry! It's officially an Indie project! It's got a Facebook and everything. I'm spending a few hours every day to get at least something done, be it Marketing, be it developing (I'm using Visionaire Studio), drawing or firing up FLStudio. Or constructing the weirdest diagrams to get a puzzle log going. Or figuring out characters or game areas. I'm still scared AF that I will just drop everything out of the blue, but for the first time in a long, long while I feel like I actually want to and will(!) finish a hobby project.

I don't know what y'all think about linking in here, since that might be considered self-promotion and (I think) this might be my first actual post despite being a Subscriber for quite a while.

I'll just leave the Steam link because I'm not selling anything yet, but I'm immensely proud of it and maybe someone finds a liking in it. If that's not cool, please remove the link. Here it is! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237190/Orbis_Fugae/

Thanks for reading!

T.

edit: oh god I forgot about the avatar I chose lol

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck! I just want to say that you can succeed at any one of those things, just remember it takes time and don't get discouraged.

I like where it's going so far, the animation looks really fluid and I'm digging the character interaction with the menu. Keep us posted on your progress!

Buf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Thank you very much :) I'll do my best and will keep you updated of course, if you don't mind it.

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

That's really neat.

I recommend looking at the various GDC talks that are arranged in playlists on youtube (no need to pay exorbitant fees for vault access). I recently went through all 34 of the videos of the marketing playlist and there are a ton of gems in there.

Buf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Buf

@dudeglove said:

That's really neat.

I recommend looking at the various GDC talks that are arranged in playlists on youtube (no need to pay exorbitant fees for vault access). I recently went through all 34 of the videos of the marketing playlist and there are a ton of gems in there.

Haha yeah, this has become my most-viewed channel for the last few weeks :D My biggest issue is only that a lot of speakers assume you're already sitting on at least a sizable community to start with - with almost no followers on any platform, it's a _lot_ harder than "hey what about a nice discord channel" ;)

But yeah, the biggest part of their library, including all the game design and postmortem ones are highly informative (and way more addictive than I thought they would be).

That said, I'm not planning to get rich or quit my job anytime soon, I'm just doing this as a hobby and because I want to do it, so if I end up with a handful of players taking a liking to the game, I will still be fine. Maybe a tiny bit disappointed, but fine ^^

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! Really like the character design.

Buf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Awesome! Keep at it. Years (...ugh, decades...) ago I messed with the Sierra Online Adventure Interface tool to make something like a Police Quest-style game.

Nothing came of it, but messing with it and designing it was fun.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's super cool, it really does look nice. Glad to hear the idea stuck and you're working on it, I know all too well about starting projects and leaving them behind. Can't deny this post made me wish my computer wasn't broken so I could jump back into my old twine/VN project I started some years ago. Like you I was trying to use all my hobbies (photography, writing, music etc.) to make something. Buuut life got in the way for me. Best of luck going forward!

Buf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen: do eet! Look at those old screenshots of yours, then look me in the eye and tell me you don't wanna :D

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buf said:
@dudeglove said:

That's really neat.

Haha yeah, this has become my most-viewed channel for the last few weeks :D My biggest issue is only that a lot of speakers assume you're already sitting on at least a sizable community to start with - with almost no followers on any platform, it's a _lot_ harder than "hey what about a nice discord channel" ;)

But yeah, the biggest part of their library, including all the game design and postmortem ones are highly informative (and way more addictive than I thought they would be).

That said, I'm not planning to get rich or quit my job anytime soon, I'm just doing this as a hobby and because I want to do it, so if I end up with a handful of players taking a liking to the game, I will still be fine. Maybe a tiny bit disappointed, but fine ^^

I would step outside of just the gaming world and look into marketing as a whole. Have you ever heard of the garyvee $1.80 strategy? Also check out Seth Godin and Jay Abraham. Go deep on marketing books etc, it's a craft just like anything else and will take time to master AND implement.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buf: Haha, don’t get me wrong I would love to, but seeing as my computer resigned on me I still have a lot of work to do in order to even access my more important files, such as several years worth of photography.

Yeah I should have made back ups sooner, I know.

Buf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Thanks for the names, I'll be sure to check them out!

@pezen I know that feeling :D let us know if you dug something up.