I'm not seeing the Zelda-ish-ness of Darksiders

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Edited By ribeye

So I bought Darksiders during the Steam sales because everyone said it was like a dark Zelda and I am a Zelda fan. I'm 2 or 3 hours in now and I have to admit, I'm not seeing how it's like Zelda in any way except that he's carrying a sword.... 

I've been playing Zelda games since the first one was new, I know my Zelda and as far as I can tell this ain't it. I keep waiting for it to become like Zelda, but so far it's God of War; button mashing, traversal, attack combos and weapon upgrades. It may be that my expectations aren't being met, but I can't help feeling a bit let-down by Darksiders, it doesn't remind me of Zelda at all. It could also be that I just finished a few God of War style games recently and I was ready for some Zelda action.

Am I missing something or does anyone else feel the same way?

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ribeye

So I bought Darksiders during the Steam sales because everyone said it was like a dark Zelda and I am a Zelda fan. I'm 2 or 3 hours in now and I have to admit, I'm not seeing how it's like Zelda in any way except that he's carrying a sword.... 

I've been playing Zelda games since the first one was new, I know my Zelda and as far as I can tell this ain't it. I keep waiting for it to become like Zelda, but so far it's God of War; button mashing, traversal, attack combos and weapon upgrades. It may be that my expectations aren't being met, but I can't help feeling a bit let-down by Darksiders, it doesn't remind me of Zelda at all. It could also be that I just finished a few God of War style games recently and I was ready for some Zelda action.

Am I missing something or does anyone else feel the same way?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Have you reached your first dungeon?

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ribeye

I'm in the middle of a bunch of arena fights right now and they're kinda bumming me out, me + a bunch of bad guys, kill them before the timer runs out, meh

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Hamz

Imagine those skulls on the health bar were hearts ;) 

Also you'll get a hookshot eventually and be forced to sort of traverse a dungeon using each unique ability/item you pick up. 

I guess if you don't see it you don't see it :)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
@ribeye said:
" I'm in the middle of a bunch of arena fights right now and they're kinda bumming me out, me + a bunch of bad guys, kill them before the timer runs out, meh "
Oh don't worry, it becomes a perfect mash up of Zelda and God of War fairly soon. I'm on my third dungeon right now. I think I might get the hook shot soon.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By VWGTI
@ribeye said:
" I'm in the middle of a bunch of arena fights right now and they're kinda bumming me out, me + a bunch of bad guys, kill them before the timer runs out, meh "
Yea, those events turned me off from the game entirely. Bleh.

The progression, exploration, and puzzle-solving is very similar to The Legend of Zelda. Each dungeon also has a huge boss to crush with GLARING weaknesses that you must exploit in order to down them.
Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Palaeomerus

Missing how each weapon  or item opens access to new areas, and how puzzles use combinations of those powerups, how the whole game is structured like a zelda game...yeah I'd say you're missing some pretty obvious stuff.  The demon who runs 'the store' is right out of a Zelda-esque game. 

Darksiders is a lot like Soul Reaver game with more fighting combos. Soul Reaver was, in a lot of ways, a darker Zelda Ocarina of Time clone. Darksider's is VERY Zelda-esque in structure and that's not really up for debate or interpretation.  It just IS.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DG991

I heard there is a princess Zelda in the game, but her face looks like they just photo shopped a skull onto it. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince
@VWGTI said:
" @ribeye said:
Yea, those events turned me off from the game entirely. Bleh.  The progression, exploration, and puzzle-solving is very similar to The Legend of Zelda. Each dungeon also has a huge boss to crush with GLARING weaknesses that you must exploit in order to down them. "
I've only killed Tiamat and Griever so far, but Tiamats weakness wasn't so obvious.
sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sjosz

Keep at it until you get to the first dungeon, then it'll click, probably. The game's structure of areas unlocking with new tools you find is essentially the same as Zelda's.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan
@DG991 said:
" I heard there is a princess Zelda in the game, but her face looks like they just photo shopped a skull onto it.  "
no, they gave her robo-angel wings, silly. 

@OP: yeah, once you get past the arena fights everything gets a lot more Zelda-y. Once you're in the first dungeon the feel is almost undeniable. There's just a bunch of other stuff before that that gives you a different impression at first (and those arena fights are boring and suck. I can't remember if you have to do another group of them later in the game or not).
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VWGTI
@LiquidPrince said:
" @VWGTI said:
" @ribeye said:
Yea, those events turned me off from the game entirely. Bleh.  The progression, exploration, and puzzle-solving is very similar to The Legend of Zelda. Each dungeon also has a huge boss to crush with GLARING weaknesses that you must exploit in order to down them. "
I've only killed Tiamat and Griever so far, but Tiamats weakness wasn't so obvious. "
It's been a while, but was he the one where you
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
@VWGTI said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @VWGTI said:
" @ribeye said:
I've only killed Tiamat and Griever so far, but Tiamats weakness wasn't so obvious. "
It's been a while, but was he the one where you
"
No, that's Griever. Tiamat was the first boss bat lady. The one you're talking about was super obvious... He had a jewel sticking out of his chest XD.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By TheGremp

I also haven't seen what makes this game in particular so much like LoZ, seeing as Zelda had a pretty significant influence on just about every action-adventure game released in the last decade and a half.  When a game impacts an entire genre so heavily, it's kind of hard to avoid comparisons.

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ribeye
@Palaeomerus said:

"Missing how each weapon  or item opens access to new areas, and how puzzles use combinations of those powerups, how the whole game is structured like a zelda game...yeah I'd say you're missing some pretty obvious stuff...."

ok maybe i just haven't gotten far enough into it then, i haven't gotten to a dungeon yet and i haven't unlocked any new weapons that open access to any different areas, i'm still running around the over world with crazy armaggedon meteors crashing down.  the first 2 hours are exactly nothing like zelda, but i'm not giving up on it yet, let me get through the arena crap and i'll get back to you
EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

The Zelda paradigm becomes more apparent when you get further into the game and the items and abilities you unlock start having obvious parallels. However, I think there's some influence from the Soul Reaver games there, even if nobody else seemed to pick up on it. 

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By butano

Keep playing. First item you get is a boomerang, which you can throw through fire to light bombs (which grow from plants btw).

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ribeye
@Butano said:
"Keep playing. First item you get is a boomerang, which you can throw through fire to light bombs (which grow from plants btw). "

haha, nice! i can't wait, my hope in Darksiders is renewed, i'll click on it again tonight
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By project343

Go into dungeon. 
Use item in a series of puzzle/combat rooms. Find keys. Jingles for successful puzzle completion. 
Fight mini-boss. Unlock new item. Use new item to finish dungeon.
Fight boss with new item. Heart container. 
Explore world with new item. Use item to get into dungeon. 
Repeat.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sgjackson
@ribeye said:
" @Butano said:
"Keep playing. First item you get is a boomerang, which you can throw through fire to light bombs (which grow from plants btw). "
haha, nice! i can't wait, my hope in Darksiders is renewed, i'll click on it again tonight "
Yeah, after you do the rail shooter thing on the gryphon and go inside the church with the giant bat it's so Zelda you'll roll your eyes.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By august
@EvilNiGHTS said:
" The Zelda paradigm becomes more apparent when you get further into the game and the items and abilities you unlock start having obvious parallels. However, I think there's some influence from the Soul Reaver games there, even if nobody else seemed to pick up on it.  "
I picked up on it! Definitely similar style of games across the board, from gameplay to the somewhat goofy self-serious supernatural plots.
LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

This game is only Zelda-like in structure, not in quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well keep looking.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

I hope you are seriously like 5 minutes into the game otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dalai

And to top it off, you'll eventually get a horse.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

You throw a boomerang through torches to light bomb plants.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By nickux

I have no idea what was wrong with that game. I am a huge Zelda fan but something about Darksiders didn't click with me. I ended up quitting around the Stygian boss. 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By laserbolts
@LiquidSaiyan3 said:
" This game is only Zelda-like in structure, not in quality. "
It's better
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the platinum trophy in this and loved it, trust me it does become a lot like Zelda.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Belonpopo
@ribeye: I bought this game yesterday myself and it is the Legend of Darksiders.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJOR64

Took me a bit to see why people call it a Zelda.  I felt the Zeldaness when I hit the first "dungeon" of the game.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3
@laserbolts said:
" @LiquidSaiyan3 said:
It's better "
I disagree. 

@nickux said:
" I have no idea what was wrong with that game. I am a huge Zelda fan but something about Darksiders didn't click with me. I ended up quitting around the Stygian boss.  "
I'm with you. 

This is not a bad game. I liked it at first, but after a while the game got in the way of me having fun with it.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33  Edited By nickux
@LiquidSaiyan3 said:
" @laserbolts said:
" @LiquidSaiyan3 said:
It's better "
I disagree. 

@nickux said:
" I have no idea what was wrong with that game. I am a huge Zelda fan but something about Darksiders didn't click with me. I ended up quitting around the Stygian boss.  "
I'm with you.  This is not a bad game. I liked it at first, but after a while the game got in the way of me having fun with it. "
Yeah it just became such a drag to keep going through after awhile. I got tired of it in a way that doesn't happen in Zelda games. 
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Marz

Once you get to the church where Tiamat is,  you'll start to see where the game turns from god of war  -> Zelda.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Are you blind or have you not reached the first dungeon yet? The gameplay systems(not the story or characters) are about 80% the same as the 3D Zelda games.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Enigma777

It's a mature Zelda with less polish and better combat. Also a portal gun. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By kingzetta

Play it for more than an hour and you'll see

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Wipeout

Yeah you have to start doing the dungeons then it will click.  I hated the Arena battles too, but you only have to do a few, and only the first ones are difficult.  As you get more heart containers and better equipment the game gets less about combat (you just crush everything) and more about exploration.  By the end of the game you're so powerful you actually kind of feel like War - just stride in super confident and smack fools. 

I loved Darkstalkers, I also picked it up on the steam sale.  It's the best Zelda game I've played since Ocarina of Time.   The combat only resembles a character action game in presentation, don't worry it gets to be less and less the focus.  Check it out - if you hold the L button (can't remember if it was trigger or not) you get a very Ocarina-like lock on.  

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Slaker117

I guarantee that the game feels more and more like Zelda as it goes on, and near the end, it slaps you across the face with it. I actually let out a little laugh at how far they were taking it.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By captain_clayman

there's a god damn boomerang, bomb plants, a hook shot and those skulls for your health bar = hearts.