In Roguelites do you tend to go for short term or long term advantage?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

bigsocrates  Online

Poll In Roguelites do you tend to go for short term or long term advantage? (28 votes)

Just win now baby! I focus on the current run and let long term progression sort itself out later. 11%
I tend to focus on the current run, but if it's not looking great or if there's a long term goal I'm close to I might try to build my long term power 14%
I take a balanced approach and approach these decision on a case by case basis. 11%
I focus on long term progression unless there's a super powerful item for a run, or I'm on a great run and think I might be able to win. 21%
I focus on long term gain until I reach the point where I can get to the last area reliably, and then focus on each run 14%
I always want to build my long term power 14%
I focus on seeing the answers to polls! 14%

I've been playing a lot of Hades recently, and like a lot of Roguelites it forces the player to balance between short term gain for the given run and longer term upgrades that make you more powerful for future runs. This takes different forms in different games. Sometimes, like in Hades, it's as simple as choosing between two different rewards, one of which will let you buy long term upgrades and one that's a power up for the current run. In other games it can take the form of optional challenges that might damage or kill you in the current run but provide rewards that will make you more powerful in the future (Hades has these too.) In other, purer Roguelites, it might be in the form of expensive short cuts that take a lot of resources from your current run but help you out for the future by letting you skip areas.

Personally I almost always focus on the long term advantage. I love the feeling of powering up my character in the long term, and since I'm not the world's best gamer it makes the game more enjoyable when I've got a stronger character to start each run out with and the difficulty curve comes down a bit. I usually stand a better chance of getting to the end if I start out with advantages than just picking the best stuff for any given run and hoping my skills will take me all the way.

The only exceptions to this tend to be if a short term item is super powerful, if I'm already on a run with a broken set of items of powers and I think I stand a real chance of beating a boss I've never beat or getting further than I ever have before, or if I'm already on to the end game and I think I might beat the boss on any given run. Otherwise I'm all about gathering as much stuff as I can for long term upgrades rather than focusing on the current run at hand.

How do other people approach this? Are you more balanced? More focused on a given run than worried about long term power upgrades? One slight paradox here is that a short term focus can actually be better for long term power if it takes you further into the game, or makes late game challenges with big rewards much easier, so it's arguably better to focus on powering up on a given run than gathering as much as you can for the long term, but I can't help myself. If I see that permanent currency or long term upgrade out there I gotsta have it!

• 
sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I base my entire playstyle around a jetpack and shotgun

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

I’ve been playing a lot of Hades recently too and I make the decision early into each run.

If I get some early boons with good synergy, I keep it going and try for a complete run. If I’m struggling early I just focus on kitting on my home base. However, Hades balances that really well. Especially once you get upgrades that make things like Darkness (your basic permanent currency) also give you health when you pick it up. It helps split the difference between run based power or building up your permanent base of operations. I never truly feel like I’m significantly limiting myself on either side.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest I'm kinda no thoughts head empty on most roguelikes. I'm horrible about planning builds.

Ooh this ability sounds cool, click.

Wait does this help anything I'm doing, aw shit.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I usually try ro beat these games as quickly as possible, focusing on my own skills more than trying to upgrade stuff. Roguelites, I tend to power up to beat them once (or get whatever "true" ending there is). I basically beat the game and go elsewhere, as soon as I can.

The only roguelike game I play over and over is Spelunky, because it's just fun and I don't have to worry about raising some stats. Really just takes me back to my Genesis action game days where I can finish something in an hour whenever I feel like it. Roguelites are more of a committment.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It mostly depends on the game for me and depends on how early on I am in playtime.

Like in Hades, I am still trying to see what powers/skills mix well together so I am wasting currencies left and right just to see how things interact. In Neon Abyss, I am buying every powerup I can afford (but that one might not count for this question since the only currency you spend outside of the loop is gained from beating bosses and cannot be spent inside the loop....unless that changes later). In Rogue Legacy, the first 4 hours or so were just me doing gold runs for long term buffs. I sucked at that game so I knew that I would not make it far if I was not bulking up for future generations. And if we are talking Spelunky, I will donate to shortcuts every time.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Long term - then I mostly don't play them anymore, the best of both worlds... with the exception of Slay the Spire, but that game is crack.