In what ways has your hometown been represented in a game?

• 151 results
SUPERhys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Being from Swansea (a small city in South Wales, UK) influences and representations of my hometown have been pretty scarce! However, upon recently buying Ni No Kuni- I was delighted to hear the character Mr Drippy has a Swansea accent in the English voice over! Also, there was a map in the Resistance 3 multiplayer called "seaside"which heavily drew on the Swansea landscape (Welsh pub, seaside town). So yeah, I'm basically just curious as to how your hometowns have crept into video games.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Bethesda, MD... Couldn't find my house (or, rather, the remains thereof) in Fallout 3 though...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My hometown is so small it's hardly represented on a map.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nitrocore

My hometown is visually represented by Fallout 3.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Monkeyman04

The street fight with all the restaurants in MW2 is based off of an area in Vancouver, WA.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Never seen a game that so much as referenced Rochester, NY.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falserelic

Dues Ex: Human Revolution took place in my hometown Detroit, but looked nothing like it.

It had the fox theater aleast, but other then that no

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing... Hell I'm not even sure my country is featured in any game besides a few 4X games.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By embryonic
Loading Video...

Spurred some controversy among the religious crowd if I recall correctly.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs was great at capturing a lot of the 'feel' of Hong Kong, even if it was a little funny with it's placement of certain landmarks as well as it's geography. But hey, those were understandable considering the very real limitations any studio encounters when making an open world game.

So yeah, Sleeping Dogs was great.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

The San Antonio Spurs play alright.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the nearest city to my hometown, Birmingham in the UK, has ever been referenced, let alone my hometown, except for in sports games.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

My home town (Great Falls) is riiiiight on the north west edge of the Fallout 3 map.

A Google Maps view of the area with the FO3 map overlaid.
A Google Maps view of the area with the FO3 map overlaid.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By oraknabo

I've lived in Atlanta, New Orleans and Savannah, so it's all zombie games. I'm where the zombie apocalypse always happens.

The first Gabriel Knight game had a fairly accurate French Quarter too.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Pilgrim the Game was fairly accurate. I mean the coins and buses.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to check it again, but I recall from the E3 demo that Infamous Second Son put the Space Needle on the wrong side of the Pacific Science Center.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I believe that Pittsburgh was represented in Fallout as DLC and supposedly Pittsburgh pops up again in The Last of Us. Both of those games represented the city as a wasteland. The city also appeared in that old arcade game called Rampage. It looked like Pittsburgh minus all the monsters...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. Haw haw haw! It's been in the top ten communities in decline in Canada for something like the last ten years running.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs. I'd say it had quite an awful recreation of where i grew up in (Kennedy Town). But, video games.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, really bad in "Autobahn Raser 2"...

Loading Video...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: Rochester has waaaay more buildings than that.

SUPERhys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some really interesting responses! I wish the UK was represented more in gaming!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't think there's any video games in Tucson, though occasionally Arizona pops up. I think the postal guys live here though. The movie Hamlet 2 was set in Tucson, which made that movie far funnier to me.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's some shitty horror game that takes place in Stockholm. I forget the name of it though

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't think any games have represented Essex. Maybe The Getaway?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

There should be games about Nantucket, but there aren't any. The only hope might be if Assasins Creed 4 Black Flag has some Nantucket whalers in the game as NPCs. If I were a billionaire I'd make games about my town, but I would probably not set up shop here - land is goes for $1M to $15M for a few acres.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Honestly the closest I can think of is that Homefront had a plague (The Knoxville Cough) named after a city about two hours out of where I live.

Unless you count flight simulators, because most flight simulators have my local airport in them. My high school had "Aviation" as a class, basically the entire class was "How well can you work Flight Simulator", and most of the time I would always fly out of that airport.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Justin258

I don't think there are any games that take place in North Carolina, much less the outskirts of Charlotte.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deadmanforking

I'm from Glasgow (Scotland), don't think Glasgow has ever been in any video games to my knowledge...

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By SMTDante89

Besides in sports games (and apparently The Sum of All Fears) there haven't really been anything about my state, let alone my hometown.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

Sydney is close enough, and it's in some of the Project Gotham Racing games.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#34  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm from Ogden, Utah, which was featured heavily in The Sandlot, but is in no games to my knowledge.

I did hear from my brother-in-law that The Last of Us has a section in Salt Lake City, though, which sounds AWESOME. I need to go rent/buy that game. I always fantasize about some kind of open-world game in Utah. With all the mountains and huge stretches of road it could be pretty cool. I'd also love to design a shooter level in the Utah State University library.

EDIT: If there was a 2002 Winter Olympics game, I guess many of the events technically take place in or around Ogden as well. If any snowboarding games have Snowbasin, that's near Ogden too.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

There are quite a few in Chicago. Off the top of my head, Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City, I Am Alive, Fallout Tactics, Deus Ex: Invisible War, etc. GTA III Liberty City was (in part - though mostly NY) inspired by Chicago, as was the city in Saints Row 1.

Watch_Dogs is coming out soon and everything I've seen of it really nails the look and feel of Chicago. Should be interesting.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Only the inside of the arena in NHL games

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Zlimness

My hometown Visby has never been a in game. It was the major inspiration for parts of Corico from Kiki's Delivery Service though.

Edit: Actually, my hometown is in a game. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. On the last level, when you turn around at the very beginning of the level and you look at the ocean, you see a bunch of ships on fire. One of the is actually a Visby-class stealth corvette. That has to count right?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Everett, WA - whenever you see drugs in a game. Drugs are Everett's backbone.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By JJWeatherman

The Burnside skatepark in the original Tony Hawk is in Portland, Oregon. So that's pretty cool.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

While the specific district of Stockholm, Sweden I live in hasn't been represented in any games to my knowledge, the inner city and the old town area have appeared in Cry of Fear (where there are some recognizable areas, but they aren't set in the correct relation to each other, and it's kinda inconsistent about when it's set, the trains, buses and trash cans look like they did in the mid 90's, but many other things, such as vending machines, look like they have for the past 5-10 years) and Krater (though without any recognizable landmarks, being the overgrown ruins after a nuclear war).

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

[apparently the images broke this post]

EDIT: Just found out that Stockholm also was available in Project Gotham Racing 2, looks like a really accurate depiction too (fun fact, the building to the far left in the very end of the video is DICE's offices):

Loading Video...

@zlimness said:

My hometown Visby has never been a in game. It was the major inspiration for parts of Corico from Kiki's Delivery Service though.

The kinda poor Counter-Strike clone New World Order had a map set in Visby.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

My hometown will probably never be represented in a game but Montreal is close enough and it has been done.

One that i can remember is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There's one mission in Montreal that you start on top of a tall building with this vista of the entire city and i thought to myself how in the hell did they forget to put the Olympic Stadium which is the one recognizable landmark in the city... until realizing you start the mission on top of the tower of the Olympic Stadium.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Far as I know the city I was born in has never been represented in a video game, nor has the city I lived in as a young child, nor the town I live in currently. Can't think of any game that is set in Massachusetts at all, really. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of them.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beginning of mgs2 is on the hudson river (although, the NYC section). I live in dutchess county, which is SUPER close to the hudson. Not really that big of a deal, but when the game first came out and I saw that at the beginning of the game, it was kind of cool (for my little brain, at the time).

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm from Glasgow (Scotland), don't think Glasgow has ever been in any video games to my knowledge...

There's an item in TF2 called the Glasgow Great Helm. THERE YOU GO.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Turambar

Shanghai has been blown up a bunch in Black Ops, Deus Ex, and Kayne and Lynch. New York has been blown up a bunch in every other game.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont remember any game where my hometown or any town i have lived in being represented in any game, the country hardly even appear, and if it does its usually on a map and still then its just a tiny blob attached to Germany or sometimes Sweden.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant wait to play Watch_Dogs to finally see Chicago in a game. Especially an open world game.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think there's any games set in Newcastle to be honest.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ltsmash
Loading Video...

100% accurate.