• 167 results
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MisterMouse

Well I have noticed an increase in ads on the Website since yesterday, and they aren't really quality ads or ads that would apply to me or my interests. I will post some of the ads here so you guys can see. Has any one else seen an influx of useless ads? And I think I can remember staff talking about wanting to have ads that would apply to our interests. What might have come from that was lets get ads from google that may some what apply to the browser cookies of that person as well as has possibly gamer slant. But I have noticed a lot of these just don't apply to me. I don't want this to turn into a thread were people boast about their membership status and such just want to inform and see if the same is happening to any one else. I have been thinking about  getting a membership but haven't decided yet. But I dont like the fact that I am seeing a lot more ads after the 9/9 membership date.  

Haaaa... I thought I was free from ads like this...
 Haaaa... I thought I was free from ads like this...

And especially this 
And especially this 

And uhh yeah this...
 And uhh yeah this...

And just so people know I am not posting ads and such, I am a real human being and these ads popped up on giant bomb haha 

EDIT: Jeff has posted a post on his blog about how these google ads shouldn't be showing up. It can be found here 
Ads on the Site
homewrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By homewrecker

why don't you want glitter? FREE GLITTER.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MisterMouse
@homewrecker:  I know it is REALLY TEMTPING!!! I mean it is glitter after all
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hockeymask27

Can you screen cap a picture of the site. Here in Canada we dont have ads. I want to see how they are spread out.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

So just because I'm a subscriber I can't get free glitter?  This is the final straw, Giant Bomb.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Jace

Strange, I don't see an----- oh wait.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jimbo7676

That sucks. I am disappointed as well. They said the membership was so they didn't have to have this kind of advertising. I can't see the ads but I am still upset about it. I really don't have a grasp as to the financial stability of Whiskey Media but I imagine that with ads like this and membership and all the costs of their new office and stuff that they needed the revenue pretty badly. Hopefully they'll get things figured out and they can focus on bringing new and better content and building a better website instead of worrying about ads and ad programming like Dave said on the podcast.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany

Damn that sucks thought they would regulate them more but hey they need to make money

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

What ads? I don't see any ads?

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I'd been interested in seeing a screencap of how these ads look on the site, because I've never seen a single ad on here, except for the Best Buy sponsored quest. I dunno if it's 'cos I'm from the UK or whatever... but yeah, not a single ad on my Giant Bomb.

apruncelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By apruncelle
@RE_Player92: Ba dum tish
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MisterMouse
@Hockeymask27: Yeah I will put up another one with the giant bomb logo in it to give you a better idea . They also show up on the right hand side of the the forum posts

No Caption Provided

@Jimbo7676: Yeah It is kind of a bummer actually. I was fine with how the ads were going previously they were somewhat gaming related usually, and this stuff is almost just as bad as "Dick Pills" (quote from the podcast.) 

sparks50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sparks50

I cannot remember ever seeing ads on GB. (other than that quest one). And I have none now either. I have no adblocks running, so have the ads been some sort of country specific?

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MisterMouse
@sparks50: Well I know that in they definitely show up in the states, outside of the states it is harder to obtain ads and such...
Downandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Downandout
@sparks50: US only I think.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60

Wtf, I want glitter. Why do I have to be in Canada?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

the only ad I ever saw was a skin or something in relation to halo ODST. These ads don't show up but I thought the whole subscription thing was to avoid these kinds of ads...could you post a screencap these look like really shitty ads

bonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bonk

Haven't seen any ads yet.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Popogeejo

I've never seen ads on GB but I know that all they promised was no sound ads or obnoxious shit like that. These ads seem to meet those conditions.

Deal with it.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MisterMouse

Everyone I will now post a screencap... 

great thread, but ugh on the ads
 great thread, but ugh on the ads
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hockeymask27
@pyromaster222 said:
" @Hockeymask27: Yeah I will put up another one with the giant bomb logo in it to give you a better idea . They also show up on the right hand side of the the forum posts

No Caption Provided

@Jimbo7676: Yeah It is kind of a bummer actually. I was fine with how the ads were going previously they were somewhat gaming related usually, and this stuff is almost just as bad as "Dick Pills" (quote from the podcast.)  "
The grey is kind of ugly. But at least its not the hey omg emoticon that has scared the crap pout of me millions of time.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Wow. Those ads look real bad.

Too bad I no longer have a guilty conscience about using an ad blocker. You know, what with the subscription and all. I have to say, if there's one thing that's disappointing, it's that monthly subscribers still see ads. It strikes me as rather mean-spirited, and for no real reason.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MisterMouse
@Popogeejo:  Ill deal with them, but these are some pretty obnoxious ads especially the "pimp you page" one. It is also interesting that there is a large increase in the ads since yesterday
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Since I am using ABP, I don't see any ads at all.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Impossibilium

They're Google ads so GB doesn't have much control over what appears (they don't generate much money either) and they don't bother me. I'm fine with any ad that doesn't fly across the page and most of the time I don't even notice what they are advertising on GB.

I thought subscribers were not supposed to be seeing these anyway?

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By ez123

Whatever, I'm fine with them. I'm not going to be outraged on principle because they said all ads would have something to do with gaming.  The ads I would hate are create a top 10 list, split it up and put an ad between each choice or gametrailers.  All of this stuff is making me wonder if Jeff and Dave should just shut the fuck up. You can't break promises if you don't make 'em.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clstirens

Wow.... I really hate these kinds of ads.

Hell, those annoying ads on Kotaku and Gamespot where they cover the entire background are FAR better than this.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MisterMouse
@Hockeymask27: well the gray is just from the white version of the site, I like the black version better but the white/gray is better for my eyes i have found
English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By English

Have you tried opening the site on any other computers/devices besides your current one? I've never seen any ads on Giantbomb that look anything like those. What you see reminds me of what some kind of auto-inserted ads by adware.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX

It's either that or accept money from publishers to put up game ads, which leads to a situation that no one wants. Incidentally, it's what most other gaming sites do (gamespot, IGN, etc.), which is why you don't have that crap there.

BUZZCOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BUZZCOLA

nice so they bump up the ads and take memberships =( when was whiskey sold to activision?

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Heartagram
@RE_Player92 said:
" What ads? I don't see any ads? "
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MisterMouse
@English: @Impossibilium: Yeah I noticed they were done by google ads which is the first time I have seen them on this site. Before today I had never seen these type of ads on GiantBomb. And I will try out another browser just for the heck of it.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Vinny_Says

man....the next step is dick pill ads and then....ads that pop up and make you wait 30 seconds before you can close them...<---------------hopefully this never happens

I dunno I thought I was gonna see ads for gaming related stuff

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By clstirens

Wait. Why is your giant bomb white?

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm...I don't see any ads. You in the US?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Meowayne

I just came in here to tell you that I totally read "Increase in Aids since yesterday" and was trying very hard to figure out what could possibly be hiding behind such a thread title.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MisterMouse
@clstirens: I am using the white skin of the site not the black one, I prefer the black one but the white one I feel is easier on my eyes.
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

That sucks. Those looks so stupid. At least the ODST ads I use to remember seeing were nice to look at.

sparks50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sparks50

Apparantly its in order to make the ad situation year based, in order to make it simpler(ad people want accurate numbers of visitors)

Was mentioned in the member podcast. The grey color looks horrible though. Is it a custom skin thing you have, or is it a non-gold member thing?

Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

Sorry bro,I live in Europe,we don't get any of your ads here

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By SumDeus

I noticed too.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Impossibilium
@clstirens said:
" Wow.... I really hate these kinds of ads.  Hell, those annoying ads on Kotaku and Gamespot where they cover the entire background are FAR better than this. "

Reskinning the site with a large ad requires a deal to be made with a company. They make more money upfront and don't rely on people clicking on stuff. Those are the ads I imagine GB want but they have to work to get partners interested enough to spend money on the ad campaign.

Google ads are a quick fix that are easy to drop onto a page and don't require any work since Google uses keywords, search terms etc. to deliver ads to the page. That's why the Geek2Geek dating site keeps appearing. Because this is a gaming site and we are all shut-ins with big glasses and the muscles of a carrot who are afraid of talking to gurls.
JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JauntyHat

I have never seen any ads similar to the ones posted in this thread on GiantBomb, and I wish to never experience them here. I hoped the advertisement policy would have continued under this subscription policy where the crew actually scrutinized what ads were allowed on this site.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Hello ad blocker pro!

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Brians

I havent seen any

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deathmachine117

I dont mind them that much as far as im concerned theres a lot of websites that are worse for ads. As long as online poker doesnt show up im cool.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By p_p_o_d

they gotta make money somehow kiddys. 

clearly the dream of ads that intrest and engage the community doesnt quite do the trick. 

I dont see a problem with these ads.   WM has to make money and they have been up for about 3 years now with little to no money coming in.   thats got to create a large debt.  

sucks that the dream of a new way to have ads on a website doesnt work but meh I for one am happy they seem to FINALLY have some money coming in and they can start paying off the the debt they have made over the last few years.    

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Impossibilium
@clstirens said:
" Wait. Why is your giant bomb white? "

click on your profile at the top of the page and the black and white A at the bottom of the menu lets you switch between them.

I'm white too. *

* Difficult to write that without sounding racist.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By nukesniper

That is kind of sad that they started showing up now. I never minded the old ads, even though I'm not gonna buy Tekken 6 or a new Scion, but I'm definitely not clicking on some of these examples. I hope this is some crazy other thing that snuck past WM and not something they directly greenlit. Here's to hoping. Sure, I don't see them, but that doesn't mean I hate non subscribers enough to offer them emoticons they can buy from me. You know, for AIM chat.