• 83 results
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

So, most people on Giant Bomb have user icons. This is awesome. I feel that when you look at a post and see 300 comments, all having their own unique icon, you get the sense that this is a really dedicated and alive community. Lately, though, I've been painfully watching the number of the original red Giant Bomb icons rise. If I go through the first page of a post and see 4 or more "red" icons, it seems to me that Giant Bomb is being drained of its uniqueness with each misspelled comment. I donno, anyone else? What do you think?

Edit: This is just me being bored. Don't take this post so seriously. I don't care that much.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

I think that some new users post before they change their icon. No big deal...

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Cube

I think you're taking it a bit too hard, I mean they're only avatars. Jeez :P

Shouldn't more people being active be a good thing? We all had the noob avatar at one point, maybe some of them just haven't found one they like yet. Don't worry about it!

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By dethfish

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the new members just don't know how to change it yet. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

Honestly, I kinda agree.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By sgjackson

Took me a while to change mine when I first started posting.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If they become active members they will change it soon enough. There are quite a few active members who used to use the standard GB avatar when they were new members, but soon enough they changed it to something more unique and original.

Avatar image for holdenlafayette
HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

I agree. Lazy bums.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Lashe

I think I had the GB one for a good 100 posts or so before I began to search for one. I wouldn't fret about it haha.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Oriental_Jams

It's a conspiracy. It always is.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aishan

I just can't be arsed to change it.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGremp

I personally don't like it when people have a default/no avatar on a forum, as I usually recognize people by their avatars rather than their names.  It's also cool to see everyone with their personalized touch next to their posts.  I just feel like a nameless everyman when I post without a unique avatar, but it may just be me.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lashe

In fact know what? I quite like the GB default. It's nicely designed. @Aishan: you sir, are a trooper. Don't give up the cause!

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By flaminghobo

I agree with you, even if I have changed my avatar 4 or 5 times recently.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghostiet
@HoldenLaFayette: This comment combined with the avatar is pure awesome, joy and win.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
@FunExplosions:
It's actually worse than you think because every one of those Mario, Master Chief and I believe Snake icons that are so abundant are the generic icons for choosing either Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony when you set up your profile.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By dethfish
@JJWeatherman said:
" @FunExplosions: It's actually worse than you think because every one of those Mario, Master Chief and I believe Snake icons that are so abundant are the generic icons for choosing either Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony when you set up your profile. "
PC has got one too I think.
Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Anarchist4Eva

Maybe they haven't learned all the tricks of the bomb just yet. I had to move around a little, explore, get used to the temperature of the water, then I finally peed the pool! 

hehehehe 

No worries, they'll be unique enough with their comments.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By Soap

Doesn't that just mean if anything your seeing an increase in new members? That can never be a bad thing

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By c1337us

Everyone makes good points. Plus dude you do care, admit it and you'll be a better person.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

Using the default icon does not make one a bad person. They will probably change it in time. 

But maybe they won't. I've been on Steam since June 2007 and have never added an avatar to my account. I don't have an avatar on my Twitter account either.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW

I like seeing new users, means Giant Bomb is getting gianter. :)

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane

They will come around.  They all come around. 

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#24  Edited By Spiritof

I've never actually given it a split second of thought.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JokerClown88

Just remember.  We all had little bomb icons before.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Axersia
@LordAndrew said:
" Using the default icon does not make one a bad person. They will probably change it in time.   But maybe they won't. I've been on Steam since June 2007 and have never added an avatar to my account. I don't have an avatar on my Twitter account either. "
Well then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM! It also took you ages to change your icon on AnimeVice and you only did it because I called you out on it.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to agree with the OP. If you can't be arsed to do something as trivial as changing your user icon, I'm less likely to pay attention to your posts as I automatically assume you're only here to reply to a few posts that piqued your interest and have no intention of becoming a regular. Also, I tend to associate not changing your user icon with illiteracy as many users with default icons tend to be fairly young and aren't familiar with proper forum etiquette. Though to be perfectly honest, I was kinda like that as well at some point. Before I hit the submit on this post I decided to read through some of my Neoseeker posts from 6 years ago (when I was 13 y/o) and they're quite painful to read.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok
@JokerClown88 said:

" Just remember.  We all had little bomb icons before. "

I didn't. I had my avatar when I was done registering, and it hasn't changed once.. well, except at Christmas where I gave Link a red hat.

Honestly, if I see someone with a default avatar I do one of two things:
  1.  I ignore their post entirely
  2. I read their post, and then completely disregard everything they said.

Yes, I'm elitist. Just like if someone has a post full of misspellings, poor grammar, hardly any punctuation (or incorrect punctuation), and just large blocks without any breaks I'll just ignore them. You can usually tell someone who is lazy apart from a person who doesn't use English as their first language. The ones I can tell aren't native speakers of English I'll give a chance, but that's all.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By natetodamax
@CitizenKane said:
" They will come around.  They all come around.  "
Get that yellow thing off my forums.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I love having my own icon, and like TheGremp said, I usually recognise a user more by their icon then by their username.  I just want to find something more "unique" for an icon instead of just an image...

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By EdIsCool

I would have got to 60 posts without using an avatar...which appears to have been 60 wasted posts thanks guys.
I just usually dont like forums.Go to most game sites read the comments I dare you to get past comment 20 without wishing for a nuclear holocaust. I cant cope with that level of stupidity
Giant Bomb is very different.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By citizenkane
@natetodamax said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" They will come around.  They all come around.  "
Get that yellow thing off my forums. "
Come and make me, sir.  
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FunExplosions

Hahah. Nice discussion. I guess what spurred my OP was looking at youtube comments... every single one seeming like it was typed by someone who went to one English class and assumed they figured it out. I honestly am dumbfounded as to how an entire page of youtube comments can be so belligerant.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#33  Edited By LordAndrew
@Axersia: And since you reminded me, I have now uploaded my avatar on Comic Vine as well.
Sometimes I forget things. It happens a lot actually.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By breadfan
@PureRok said:

Honestly, if I see someone with a default avatar I do one of two things:
  1.  I ignore their post entirely
  2. I read their post, and then completely disregard everything they said.

It's glad to hear that the Giant Bomb community is so welcoming to new users
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EdIsCool

Its astonishing, whats that site I think its ps3fanboy...reading the comments Im like "just no, its not like that..jesus christ...no ,thats illegal in seven states dont stick that there, RAPE!!"

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I agree with OP. I despise the red bomb iconed users. I don't think of them as actual users.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By citizenkane
@dcpc10 said:
" Giantbomb is like a friendly neighborhood you lived in for years, I recognize everyone here it seems. It just feels weird though to see most of the launch users gone. People like Sentry and SolidSnakeXx all seem to post on neogafs now. :( "
There are still a lot of us here.  There are still even some of us from the very beginning blog days.

As a site gets older, you will see more of the older users go on to greener pastures.  It just happens.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I changed mine as soon as I became a member, most of those people probably won't stick around for to long, and the ones that do will change em.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CL60

I don't remember when I changed mine.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daryl

STOP WASTING MY TIME.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

*J.D.'s voice* 

EEAAGGLLEE! 

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@CitizenKane said:
" @dcpc10 said:
" Giantbomb is like a friendly neighborhood you lived in for years, I recognize everyone here it seems. It just feels weird though to see most of the launch users gone. People like Sentry and SolidSnakeXx all seem to post on neogafs now. :( "
There are still a lot of us here.  There are still even some of us from the very beginning blog days.  As a site gets older, you will see more of the older users go on to greener pastures.  It just happens. "
In fact, CitizenKane was the first person on the site that I recognized from the blog days. *sigh* I always knew you would be a mod from the very beginning :)

Regardless, the loss of "veteran" users like TheGTAvaccine, Endogene, DualReaver, TwentyOne (well, he still posts like once a month), etc. will always hurt some of us.
Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Amilmitt

i changed mine as soon as i join, i like a little personality.
i just dont post often, usually only when i have something worth posting that can contribute.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HandsomeDead

This thread has made me realise that I don't read the posts of anyone with the generic avatars. It also made me realise i'm probably not missing anything. Good arrows.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Toxin066

I lurked for about 5 months without creating an account. That gave me time to 1) understand what the community is about and 2) decide on an image/personality.  I've also got accounts on a handful of other forums, so I feel that this account isn't really "me" until the avatar is popped on.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lashe
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @dcpc10 said:
There are still a lot of us here.  There are still even some of us from the very beginning blog days.  As a site gets older, you will see more of the older users go on to greener pastures.  It just happens. "
In fact, CitizenKane was the first person on the site that I recognized from the blog days. *sigh* I always knew you would be a mod from the very beginning :)  Regardless, the loss of "veteran" users like TheGTAvaccine, Endogene, DualReaver, TwentyOne (well, he still posts like once a month), etc. will always hurt some of us. "
I can't speak for everyone obv but I've been here since the blog (APD and JGISA), but didn't necessarily post much til it became a full site. I think there are more 'veteran' users than you give credit for!
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By citizenkane
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @dcpc10 said:
In fact, CitizenKane was the first person on the site that I recognized from the blog days. *sigh* I always knew you would be a mod from the very beginning :)  Regardless, the loss of "veteran" users like TheGTAvaccine, Endogene, DualReaver, TwentyOne (well, he still posts like once a month), etc. will always hurt some of us. "
It will always be a downer when old users leave.  Hopefully we can keep them as long as we can.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By citizenkane
@Lashe said:
" @Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @dcpc10 said:
I can't speak for everyone obv but I've been here since the blog (APD and JGISA), but didn't necessarily post much til it became a full site. I think there are more 'veteran' users than you give credit for! "
Of course, there will always be people who have been following since the beginning but never post, but for that reason we don't know much about you guys.  Post more! 
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By clubsandwich
@HoldenLaFayette said:

" I agree. Lazy bums. "

I feel a disturbance in the force.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#50  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think that this site should have an obscure skeleton man from a Turn Based Strategy Game as the default neutral avatar. Then you would be able to ignore their posts but admire their classy picture.