• 118 results
Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Trision

Hello fellow duders! I've built a brand new Android app for Giant Bomb called Video Bomb. It's completely free + no ads and has feature parity with the other clients (streaming and offline video, Chromecast support, video search, etc.).

* Google Play Store (download)

* Screenshots

No Caption Provided

Some feature highlights + why you should consider using it over other apps:

• Design: Fully material + uses plenty of animations (check out the screenshots).
  • Video Progress API: Uses the new video progress API to sync your progress so you can continue watching on giantbomb.com by going to Videos > Continue Watching. It works even if you're offline then come back online.
  • Video preview when scrubbing through videos.
  • Preview video size before downloading.
  • Improved download manager which allows pausing + resuming downloads.
  • Uses ExoPlayer, which is the player that powers Youtube on Android.
  • Built with the latest Android APIs (supports multiwindow, circular icons, app shortcuts, and more) + libraries.
  • Link handling: Clicking a GB video link can be opened in the app.
  • No permissions: Don't need them so I don't request them. :)
  • Active development: The other GB Android apps haven't been updated in a while and I'm committed to keeping the app up to date + adding more features.

I'll be monitoring this thread for any feature requests, bug reports, and general feedback. Thanks for checking it out + any feedback!

Turul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I will try this out! thanks for sharing!

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turul Thanks for checking it out!

jacobpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks! This is awesome!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By Forcen

Awesome! Looks great on that gif!

First question: is there a dark mode/night mode?

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: There isn't currently, but I'll add it to the feature list! Having one would definitely make it easier on the eyes at night.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trision: Great! Every app/website needs a dark mode.

Tried the app and it works great. I had some trouble logging in to the site in my default browser but that's my phone being weird. You should expose the URL to the site with the login codes instead of just the text "go here to get a code".

For example if you don't feel like typing in your password with your phone and just want the code from your PC then you don't know what URL to use on your PC. The link just redirects you to your login screen so you can't copy it or see the url.

Just a tiny nitpicky thing.

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Trision

@forcen Good point. I've changed the wording to expose the URL and it'll go out in an update tonight. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: It's live now.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dumb question: Besides chromecast , would it be possible to add casting to smart TV:s ? No idea what protocol is used, but my Samsung TV shows up in the youtube and netflix app, but not in any other app that has cast features. (Or maybe it's because those apps are also installed on the TV, that would make more sense ...)

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@void: If your phone and TV supports Miracast then you could display your phone screen on your TV wirelessly via that but that's about it. If it supports Plex then that could be an option but getting a chromecast is the easiest option by far. Get a 2nd gen.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For me the only thing that's missing is making playlists and a dark theme. Besides that, you've done some fantastic work. Really appreciate the multiwindow support and ability to sync progress with the site.

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy Thanks for using the app! Dark theme is on the way (seen a lot of demand for this). I've added playlists to my feature backlog, but not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@void Hmm maybe. I think you might be right that it has to have those apps pre-installed, but I'll look into it.

Avatar image for official_thomas
Official_Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great app! I have been using it for about a month now and love it. Keep up the great work!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does this compare to the Video Buddy app I already use /that was endorsed by Brad?

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00: I'm biased, but I think Video Bomb compares quite favourably. Video Bomb has a number of features Video Buddy doesn't (see the OP), a ton of efficiency improvements, and I plan to add plenty more features soon (Video Buddy hasn't been updated in over a year).

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Trision
void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This app needs a swipe left/right to mark video watched + hide. Especially If I'm going to give up all my saved watched state in other similar apps, *hint* *hint*.

Great work, @trision

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I actually think the site works great on mobile, but this seems neat and very well made so I'll give it a shot!

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Pop

Continue watching feature! I'm in, downloading now!

edit: One thing, if it's possible add the continue watching category to the app, that would be great. That's all I wanted. :))

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Being able to sync progress between the app and the site is a pretty great feature, really like the app.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Forcen

Some kind of watch history would be nice, make it easy to find the videos you watched in the app previously. Maybe even possible to view history if videos we watched on the site?

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dang, even The 2nd gen chromecast has issues with GB's HD bit rate. Cool app though! Nice interface. More categories would be great.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Buddy has been a bit crashy for me lately, so I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks really well-done, nice work. Will definitely give this a try.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Awesome app. Switched over to it. Keeping my progress in videos sealed it for me. Only thing I'd ask is yes, a dark theme. Dark theme on the site is the only true theme, so a dark theme for Video Bomb should follow.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By RobotHamster

Awesome! Is there anyway to watch live streams on it? Maybe I missed it somewhere. And I agree on a dark theme, it's the best theme.

mynthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Buddy stopped working on my crappy KitKat tablet some time ago, which was pretty much the only thing that device was good for.

This seems to work on it so thank you very much!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Haven't tried it yet, but the screenshots look very promising. I thought the Video Buddy app was real slick, but eventually the videos would just not play reliably. When i switched to Luchadeer, the main gripe i had with that app was that it's not very easily to browse quickly through a series (because of all the big images tied to the videos)

I haven't tried this app yet, so i don't know if this is a problem, but the videobuddy list always made it real easy to scroll through hundreds of videos in a rapid fashion. I kind of worry that the Luchadeer / Videobomb approach of displaying the images of the videos prominently, will slow down how fast you can browse through a series of videos. But i'll definitly try it out in the near future.

No Caption Provided

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@onemanarmyy: Thanks for the feedback + checking out the app! Mini list item support is 90% done and should be out in the next update (probably out tomorrow). Here's a screencap:

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robothamster: Dark theme is in the works! Live streams are on my feature backlog (interestingly the video player actually already supports stream endpoints).

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines: Yeah :( I really tried to work around this (I also have a 2nd gen Chromecast), but wasn't able to so I have to display a warning.

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Trision

@forcen: Yeah I definitely want to add this as well. Currently, the GB APIs don't support getting video progress in bulk (only one video per request), but once they do I'll jump on it.

EDIT: I'm wrong about this - see alecgdouglas' post below.

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Trision

@pop: I'll see if I can squeeze that into this next update (probably tomorrow). If not it'll definitely be in a future update (had a couple requests for that feature). Thanks for using the app!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trision: That's great. I'm switching over to your app :)

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trision: Until then the app should have it's own local history at least.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! Will try it out at once!

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just downloaded. Looks great, keep up the awesome work duder!

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By alecgdouglas
Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: Oh sick! I completely missed that. Thanks for the heads up - implementing it in now.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TuxedoCruise

The app logo gives me the heebie jeebies.

Great app.

is343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey! I downloaded this last week after switching gb apps.

It's been awesome so far! The only thing I would suggest is the ability to choose to download videos to the SD card.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh woops, seems like my 4.2.2 Jellybean tablet is not up to the task. I'll stick with Luchadeer in that case.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cool app love the design and the ability to sync between the app and the website. Couple of criticisms would be a dark mode, able to download to SD (got 128g external only 16 internal), making playlists, and more categories for videos. Also one feature none of the other apps have and I do not know if it's even possible but to be able to watch live videos. I know nothing about making apps so there maybe something I am missing but it does link your account to verify you are premium. I Have been out and using the websites' video player on my phone works but it isn't the best.

Avatar image for hydrotherion1979
hydrotherion1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! thx.:)

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724: Thanks! I just pushed an update with dark mode + a compact list view since those features were the most requested. Next on my list is SD card support + live videos.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trision Looks great so far, is there a way to change where downloaded videos are stored e.g. to an external sdcard?