[iOS App] Bomb Cyclone, a Giant Bomb video app for iPhone, is now available!

#1 Edited by conmulligan (1936 posts) -

Hey bombers, you might remember I posted about a month ago looking for beta testers. A bunch of people participated, which resulted in some great feedback and helped surface a number of nasty issues that would’ve otherwise slipped by. The app is now pretty much stable and contains most of the easy to implement suggestions, so I’ve made it available on the App Store. If you’d like to check it out, just follow this link!

There’s some bad news, though: Apple has nixed the download functionality for copyright reasons. I’ve already exhausted my options with the Review Board, so absent some kind of documentation from GB explicitly granting the app permission to download video it’ll have to remain disabled for now. In its place, I’ve added the ability to “favourite” videos, so you can build a kind of local playlist.

What does it look like?

It looks like this:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

What does it do?

I’m glad you asked! Here’s what’s already implemented:

• Browse videos by category or show.
  • Watch archived video and live streams.
  • Cast videos using Google Cast.
  • Push notifications for new videos, live streams and show episodes.
  • Video search.
  • Download videos for offline viewing.

And here’s what’s coming soon:

• Mini player.
  • iPad Support.
  • Home screen top slot.
  • Upcoming videos.
  • Mark as watched.

I’d also like to add Apple TV support, but that's more of a longer term proposition.

I already use Video Buddy/GBTV/Burger, why would I switch to Bomb Cyclone?

Those apps are great and if you like one of them you should absolutely keep using it. With Bomb Cyclone, I wanted to do something a little different with the UI and implement some functionality, like reliable push notifications, that isn’t otherwise widely available. If any of that sounds appealing, you should give it a try!

Why doesn't it do (x)?

Probably because I haven't though of it! If you have suggestions that aren't already on the roadmap, please let me know.

#2 Posted by conmulligan (1936 posts) -

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the beta and gave feedback. There’s still a bunch of stuff I want to add, but right now I'm concentrating on the mini player and iPad support which I'm hoping to have ready by the time iOS 13 drops.

#3 Posted by Eulisker (16 posts) -

Thanks for the app. I hope you have the opportunity to bring back downloads. Do you know why other apps are allowed to have downloads when yours doesn’t?

#4 Posted by conmulligan (1936 posts) -
@eulisker said:

Thanks for the app. I hope you have the opportunity to bring back downloads. Do you know why other apps are allowed to have downloads when yours doesn’t?

I'm not sure. I didn't bring up the other apps to the review board in case they got pulled, but my guess is they just slipped by unnoticed. The App Store guidelines are sometimes capriciously applied so it's not uncommon for one app to be flagged while another sails through.

#5 Posted by espiox (55 posts) -

The Chromecast button isn’t showing up for me at all. I’m on the iOS 13 beta, but other apps (like Video Buddy) are working fine, so I’m not sure if that’s it.

#6 Edited by conmulligan (1936 posts) -

@espiox said:

The Chromecast button isn’t showing up for me at all. I’m on the iOS 13 beta, but other apps (like Video Buddy) are working fine, so I’m not sure if that’s it.

Hmm, that's strange. I haven't done much testing with iOS 13 so I don't know for sure, but it's possible some of the privacy changes are affecting device discovery. Video Buddy is using a much older version of the Cast SDK so it may not be impacted in the same way.

If you have the Twitch app installed, can you see if the cast button shows up there? That should be using approximately the same SDK version as Bomb Cyclone.

#7 Posted by espiox (55 posts) -

@conmulligan: Yeah, looks like it’s not working in Twitch either.

#8 Edited by lolakarim2300 (2 posts) -

@conmulligan said:
@eulisker said:

Thanks for the app. I hope you have the opportunity to bring back downloads. Do you know why other apps are allowed to have downloads when yours doesn’t? [URL=https://myip.kim/]my ip[/URL] [URL=https://birthdaywishes.onl/]birthday wishes[/URL] [url=https://elecpay.in/tneb/]tneb[/url]

I'm not sure. I didn't bring up the other apps to the review board in case they got pulled, but my guess is they just slipped by unnoticed. The App Store guidelines are sometimes capriciously applied so it's not uncommon for one app to be flagged while another sails through.

GB explicitly granting the app permission to download video it’ll have to remain disabled for now. In its place, I’ve added the ability to “favourite” videos, so you can build a kind of local playlist.

#9 Posted by espiox (55 posts) -

Chromecast is working again now in iOS 13 beta 4!