[iOS App] Giant Bomb Video Buddy

SpiralEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I saw the HD Disappearance thread also, and thought it might be related somehow. Thanks for the detective work Soup!

andresrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the record, I can’t download just high quality or low quality videos either (tried Million Dollar Abby 2)

NOT_MUCH_CHOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey I 've just started having an issue when trying to load any of the Latest videos on the Apple TV. When I click on the latest tab it goes to a white screen and exits to the main Apple TV screen. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling but it still does the same thing. It only seems to be the latest videos tab, others seem mostly ok.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey I 've just started having an issue when trying to load any of the Latest videos on the Apple TV. When I click on the latest tab it goes to a white screen and exits to the main Apple TV screen. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling but it still does the same thing. It only seems to be the latest videos tab, others seem mostly ok.

Yup same thing for me.

TealShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can confirm I am having the same issue on the latest non-beta tvOS.

NOT_MUCH_CHOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it has to be related to the missing HD versions of the all the latest videos. Hopefully its fixed soon.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@not_much_chop said:

I can confirm I am having the same issue on the latest non-beta tvOS.

The beta OS doesnt fix it either so I dont think its an OS issue. @not_much_chop might be on to something regarding the video versions as it only affects certain parts of the app.

metamac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#508  Edited By metamac

Hopefully this isnt buried in the thread somewhere I missed, but will the iOS version see an update for the iphone x display? Still my favorite way to watch the duders but the decrease in resolution is disappointing. Thanks!

Windex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Since I upgraded to a device with 3D touch, I notice that the video controls keep appearing without any interaction from myself.

Has anyone else experienced this? I only see this behaviour with the Giant Bomb Video Buddy app; YouTube and other video apps are fine.

whatitdotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really love this app, but it seems the new API is hiding some items. Can't find Metal Gear Scanlon in search at all and just searching endurance run only gives one video. I hope we see an update soon!

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#514  Edited By Griffinmills

The

@whatitdotaku said:

Really love this app, but it seems the new API is hiding some items. Can't find Metal Gear Scanlon in search at all and just searching endurance run only gives one video. I hope we see an update soon!

I’ve noticed this too and came here to discuss/report. I found when searching for VinnyVania it turns up zero results, but searching for “curse” (Castlevania 3: Dracula’s Curse) brings up the Castlevania 3 episodes. Seems like the search doesn’t like results you get via searching “show“ names.

So for the Persona 4 ER, for now, just type in persona. You can also try something like searching for ”part 50” for a more specific search. Actually, you can search “part 0” and get most series to show up! Just some workarounds for now.

As a heads up to whoever is listening, I’d gladly donate significantly for an updated Video Buddy!

whatitdotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@griffinmills:

Yeah! Last night as I was trying to find things I did get some (I did Dracula for Dracula's Curse) and started putting stuff in lists. Metal Gear Scanlon is the tough one that I've not been able to find much of unless I go all the way back in the "Premium" List. I've only been able to get "Rising" for MG Rising. I'll try the 0 trick though. Agreed that Shows seem to be what breaks it.

I really hope it gets updated, I'm on an old iPad 2 for a tablet device so GBTV doesn't work since I can only get iOS 9 and below stuff :\ I really love the list feature. I'd also gladly donate because it's a great app!

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#516  Edited By Griffinmills

Doing some fiddling and searching for Metal Gear Scanlon I found that you can find most of them with the following search string “style”

V - part

4 - part

2 - part

and

3: part

for MGS3. Note you need the colon instead of the dash for 3. If you just put a 3 it doesn’t work.

The original MGS, though, I’ve yet to find a good short hand search. Stuck with ”part 0” for now. It’s kind of interesting to go to the website and look at MGS1 and all the episodes are just named “part xx” instead of their full names.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bug (?): I noticed that the quick look for Darksiders III was missing in both Latest and Quick Looks on iPad but it was visible only my iPhone. Then on iPad I tried unchecking the hide trailers option in settings and now it's visible again (This option was unchecked on my iPhone all along.). So seems there is a bug where regular videos are mislabeled as trailers ? No idea if that's a backend issue at GB or not.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#518  Edited By Griffinmills

@void: great catch, it is also hiding the bombcast video feed, both regular and premium versions, when “hide trailers” is checked. I’ve noticed hidden or missing videos, very rarely, over the years using Video Buddy but never thought to uncheck the trailers option and usually found them when looking at other categories.

Also, weirdly, the quick look for DS3 doesn’t show up under the quick looks category at all. Tack on that both Bombcast videos are the same length and, like last week, neither is marked as Premium anymore. These may all be site bugs and not Video Buddy specifically.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Searches seem to have had a nice update site side that have results in Video Buddy back to normal, hurrah! Thanks GB Top Men, very much appreciated.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has the app been removed from iOS? All I can find is GBTV which doesn’t support Chromecast. I accidentally uninstalled video buddy

ndeddiemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey yall, anyone had issues using the app with Chromecast lately? Mine isn't finding any chromecasts anymore. Thoughts?

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#525  Edited By Falk

The last couple of days I've just been getting "An error occurred. Tap to retry." and no videos are longer listed.

EDIT: And now it works again for some reason.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

video buddy app has stopped working for me. app fails to open. running iPadOS 13.2. have tried restarting device, have tried deleting and reinstalling app.

if i had to guess i think 13.2 broke it? only change i can think of. anyone else with a similar issue?

HorseMmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527  Edited By HorseMmeat

@onlineatron: Same issue with me :( app opens and shuts right away! Doesn't work on my iphone as well after updating

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horsemmeat: any luck sorting it? i’ve started using the gbtv app but it just isn’t the same...

Rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#529 Rorie  Staff

Let me ping the dev and see if he can look into this. Sorry for the trouble.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: thanks! seems like the issue has been resolved after my ipad took a beta update.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spoke too soon! app opens fine now and videos play but timestamps do not load – they display at —:— and the seek bar stays at 0. running iPadOS 13.2. could be a quicktime issue? i’m no expert.

sorry for the bother

HorseMmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onlineatron: Same issue with me - can't scroll through the video. At least I can open again though :)