Is GB ever returning to the studio format?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Castiel

I really miss the pre-covid studio days when the GB crew were together in a studio just shooting the shit. Covid obviously changed things for everyone. Given some of the new shows/ideas that have been announced for the future with Danny O´Dwyer and Dan Ryckert, in other words people that are physically far apart, it doesn't seem like GB is returning to the old studio days soon. If they ever are again.

Now that everyone streams from home everything has also started to feel the same for me. Not just talking GB. I'm talking literally every show/podcast, with a few exceptions, are recorded at home over a webcam. It has resulted in a monotonous feeling for me regarding most podcasts and shows. One thing that could set GB apart would be actually having a show recorded in a studio.

I realize there are a lot of challenges in having a studio. Financial and practical challenges. But if GB can somehow make it work having a studio again I would highly support it.

Do you think GB will ever return to a studio again and/or do you even miss the pre-covid studio days?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Nope. Jason's moving back to Atlanta. Remote GB is is for the foreseeable future.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Did Jason state why he's moving back to Atlanta?

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By AV_Gamer

There is a reason they call Covid-19 the new normal. Many things, even outside of GB, will never be the same again. You can argue that if the pandemic didn't happen, Vinny, Brad, and Alex would still be at GB and not leave after RV took over. A lot of people started to work from home and its becoming clear now that they don't want to go back to the office buildings, and want to stay home. And its becoming pretty dangerous out there now. The pandemic has forced a lot of people to look at how their life is going professionally and personally in terms of what they can and can't do and what sacrifices need to be made to survive. So the answer is no, the studio days of GB are over. Jeff pretty much made that clear. Their doing a more online friendly website with a bunch of guest stopping by, and online exclusives, like the upcoming Jeff B and Dan show. And Nextlander is a Patreon funded Twitch Channel.

Rasulguhl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wack

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 4

This is pure speculation but I don't think so on a regular basis. This is a major reason why Nextlander exists because those guys realize if they are just going to stream online for perpituity, mind as well go independent without having corporate oversight.

I DO think they might do a temporary studio set up for big events such as E3 2022 (if it even comes back) where they have to physically be there to interview devs and play the games.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Rasulguhl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There’s lots more of everything but it’s all just a little bit worse

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: To be closer to family most likely and it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to live in ATL. then CAL.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With Jason moving out it means they definitely gonna have to find another producer to help Jan once they go back to the office (and Rorie said they gonna start testing it out "soonish"

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ThePickle

look at Rorie's post that was linked it's not a "no" thankfully but it won't be overnight either. I do look forward to seeing everyone under one roof again. watching old videos you realize that while a lot of the pandemic content has been good, you're missing a lot not having everyone in the same room

Edit: Jason is moving back to the ATL so he can quit video games and pursue "trapping" as a full-time career

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez I can't keep up here. Is Jason leaving GB or just moving? I swear everytime I check in on these forums I'm learning something new. I haven't been watching much GB content lately.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

You could say they are just getting used to the new.. home.. office

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping GB does return to some sort of studio/communal setting once it's safe enough because that was one of it's main differentiators from it's competitors.

And you can do things in studio/together that you can't do remotely. Like, yeah, sure, lag has gotten a lot better, microphones have gotten a lot better -- but there's still a feeling, an energy to have having people together in a room that's different/better than having a bunch of talking heads in windows, IMHO.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

People seem to panic when something doesn't happen immediately. Okay, we live in 'instant news world', but moving people and stuff around still takes effort. Nobody is dead and as plans are approved they are letting us know. So I think us all (even me) being more chill is appropriate

Honestly, I think things are going pretty well - JMO. I love having Danny and Jeff B around every week, I can't think of a better choice - great hires even for just the shows. Marino putting up all those e3 video at a breakneck speed was great; I watched 90% of the e3 video from GB links - they did a good job. Two or three weeks ago they gave a rough plan about what was next for the site. The site had moved aways from written reviews; but even so, the type of games that would get the few written reviews are not out yet. Its existing that we will see a NEW studio. Think about that, we get to see a new studio. Maybe, we even see a live studio and a new podcast studio, right?

I don't think I am being too positive here, and I might be under selling it. It bares repeating : Great additions to the podcast. The people they are tapping for contributors are great too. The e3 content provides by studios/publishers went up quickly, and the crew commented on company streams when they could. And, lastly a new spaces being built for them.

mclubberlang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss the studio days immensely. Nothing will ever beat UPF in a studio with game enthusiasts getting together and having a laugh. It is not the same when they’re all at home.

Symbyosys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

We are allowed back into the office on July 7th and I think Jan and I will try to scope things out from there! I think it will be some amount of time for a studio to appear but hopefully there will be some kind of interpersonal interaction at some point on camera early next month.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yay good news!

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Very happy for you folks.

eukara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hype!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Castiel

People seem to panic when something doesn't happen immediately.

Who's panicking here? And who's talking about things happening immediately?

JustinVarghese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very glad to hear they'll be heading back to the studio soon, but it's honestly a huge bummer how spread out people are. As the OP mentioned, the remote shows just lack an energy that can't be replicated over webcams.

I will watch whatever is in studio, but I really don't have a desire to watch the remote stuff anymore, bombcast included.

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://jeff.zone/post/655089115200634880/any-chance-youll-be-in-some-kind-of-office-soon

From “early July” to “definitely not this year”. Why the mixed messaging/secrecy on this?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@swordstruck: Rorie said they are allowed to go back to the office in July. It seems like it's a thing where people are allowed to work from that place at that time, but that any semblance of the crew, including Jeff, streaming from an office studio is not something that we should expect to see for the rest of 2021.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why would anyone want a 3-4 hours/day commute in the SF Bay Area? I live here, and the thought of going back to work is almost enough to make me want to quit and find another all-remote job.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they do. The studio stuff was the big USP for giant bomb. Things suffered from being all-remote.

Can understand why they might not do this again but I really hope they do. The camaraderie at the desk/on the sofa was a big part of the community and feel of the site and its brand.

wezzmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% agree with this. And I'm so conflicted about it too. I love giantbomb and have been with the site for a very long time but the podcast in front of the individual webcam format is killing it for me. Every show is the same, nothing feels interesting anymore etc etc.

Maybe it's me? Maybe me being forced to sit at home all day everyday for work makes me long to see things how they used to be. Who knows.

I know covid ruined alot of things and they are in no rush to go back to a studio but dang I miss it.