Is Giant Bomb turning into an advertisement site?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

I understand there are barely any real ads on the site, but I'm talking about the videos. That's all I'm seeing out of this site now. Is just previews, trailers, and gameplay footage. To me, thats just advertising. I understand some people like it, they want to see as much videos as they can, but c'mon. I'm all video'd out. What do you guys think?

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Please be joking. 
ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ElegantRuby

This is why I don't like the Endurance Run.  With four staff members participating, they do not have time for more original video content. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Rhaknar

i think you are a moron, since GB has always been about the video content, and the bombcast

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet
@ch13696 said:

" I understand there are barely any real ads on the site, but I'm talking about the videos. That's all I'm seeing out of this site now. Is just previews, trailers, and gameplay footage. To me, thats just advertising. I understand some people like it, they want to see as much videos as they can, but c'mon. I'm all video'd out. What do you guys think? "

@ElegantRuby said:

" This is why I don't like the Endurance Run.  With four staff members participating, they do not have time for more original video content.  "

These two turds ("posts" seems to be too generous) really made me want to punch babies.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

A team of 4 can only do so much.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blair

Go away.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By fwylo

They provide with video content so that we know about all the games that are coming out... It's not like you're forced to watch them, I would call that advertising.  Something you can't avoid actually watching.  If you don't want to know about a certain game.  Don't watch the video, simple as that.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ch13696

WTF? Did we just get a couple of lil kids in this thread? Giant Bomb is about the wiki's, the bombcast, and news. Videos are all cool, but this is turning into another game trailers site. Therefore it's just advertising.

Smokay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Smokay

Crazy talk.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch13696
@fwylo said:
" They provide with video content so that we know about all the games that are coming out... It's not like you're forced to watch them, I would call that advertising.  Something you can't avoid actually watching.  If you don't want to know about a certain game.  Don't watch the video, simple as that. "
Yeah, true. But why don't they give us an opinion on the video or some information. At least make it news.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mutha3
oh come on
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rhaknar
@ch13696 said:
" WTF? Did we just get a couple of lil kids in this thread? Giant Bomb is about the wiki's, the bombcast, and news. Videos are all cool, but this is turning into another game trailers site. Therefore it's just advertising. "
when the fuck has GB been about the "news"? are you serious?
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Supermarius
@ch13696:  im presuming that what you want to see more of is written reviews. Unfortunately, GB reviews are often some of the least interesting and least useful content that is produced. Quicklooks and the bombcast itself tend to give a much more detailed look at a game. Its easier to tell if the gb guys feel that a game has that intangible "fun" quality when you hear them speaking in an informal way that you do not see as much in the reviews.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Jadeskye

Everybody knows that the Endurance run is just Swery paying GB a ton of cash. This is common knowledge.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ch13696

And for all you bitchy lil kids that can't say anything related to the thread then just leave. Don't say anything.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghostiet
@ch13696 said:

" WTF? Did we just get a couple of lil kids in this thread? Giant Bomb is about the wiki's, the bombcast, and news. Videos are all cool, but this is turning into another game trailers site. Therefore it's just advertising. "

I'm sorry, man. Someone has to break it to you - not only the video encoder broke, but also Jeff's money machine located in his ass. Because when Gerstmann takes a shit, cash comes out. Who in his right mind would think bling bling comes from advertising?!

It's not like Giant Bomb is the only site that posts trailers and stuff. Is this newsflash really worth making another retarded topic?

Also, since when Giant Bomb is a video game news site? That's what they were trying to avoid from the start.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmrwacko

Yes, when Ryan rambles on during quicklooks about how much he thinks a particular game sucks, that's because he's ADVERTISING it. :-/

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ch13696
@Supermarius said:
" @ch13696:  im presuming that what you want to see more of is written reviews. Unfortunately, GB reviews are often some of the least interesting and least useful content that is produced. Quicklooks and the bombcast itself tend to give a much more detailed look at a game. Its easier to tell if the gb guys feel that a game has that intangible "fun" quality when you hear them speaking in an informal way that you do not see as much in the reviews. "
I see where you're getting at. I'm not looking for more reviews though. Just some opinions or info on the video. Not much like quick looks. Cause I would like to see the video stay at 2-3 minutes lol. 
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cap123
@ch13696:  you're still getting the bombcast and the wiki. On top of that they made a quest system to keep you busy.  And news is updated as much as it ever was, it's never been the core of the site, you go to kotaku or destructoid for that sort of thing. 

The only thing they've done less of lately is original video content, but you could argue that's was the endurance run is.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ApertureSilence
@jadeskye said:
" Everybody knows that the Endurance run is just Swery paying GB a ton of cash. This is common knowledge. "
This.
Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kiro

Game trailers on a video game site?Outrageous!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch13696

Ok. I think this has gotten a little off hand. I'm gonna try to get this thing locked.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Ghostiet said:
" @ch13696 said:

" I understand there are barely any real ads on the site, but I'm talking about the videos. That's all I'm seeing out of this site now. Is just previews, trailers, and gameplay footage. To me, thats just advertising. I understand some people like it, they want to see as much videos as they can, but c'mon. I'm all video'd out. What do you guys think? "

@ElegantRuby said:

" This is why I don't like the Endurance Run.  With four staff members participating, they do not have time for more original video content.  "

These two turds ("posts" seems to be too generous) really made me want to punch babies.

"
This. 

What. The. Fuck.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By DoctorWelch
@ch13696:  Giant Bomb is all about the Videos. Why do you think they do all their Quicklooks and ER and all that jazz. Its never been about news because they really only post interviews that they occasionally do for big events, and trailers for high profile games. The wiki is a part of the site that the whiskey guys control and the moderators regulate, the GB guys dont spend their time with the wiki, its just there to make the site better. 

Oh and silly me for forgetting probably the best part of GB, the Bombcast.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fwylo
@ch13696: Because commenting on every single gameplay video or trailer would start to get pointless. You would start to see the same things over and over.

"Ya it's looking interesting"

"Cool art style but the gameplay looks janky"

It's hard to make assumptions on every game just from little videos that are put out.  They comment on the big ones that are released like the Little Big Planet 2 article that went up because those are the ones that really matter (to them).  The ones that end up doing something new or different they always have articles on.  I can understand the want for original video features such as mailbag or whatever and how those are being pushed aside by the ER as everyone says.  But there are ALOT of games that come out.. It'd be crazy for them to put full interest and coverage on every one that gets released every week.
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By takua108

When you go to http://giantbomb.com, what's the first, biggest thing you see? The three latest (-ish) videos. 

Also, it's just that time of year. Are there any meaningful releases that you want reviewed that haven't been yet? Do the Endurance Runs bother you? You and I both know that Giant Bomb rarely posts news posts, just because they're not a news website like Kotaku or Joystiq. 

Since joining Giant Bomb, it's always been about the videos, the Endurance Runs, the Bombcast, the reviews, the Quick Looks, and the occasional news post.

So... what's the problem again? :P  

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By cstrang

They are covering the upcoming release of games by posting trailers, gameplay footage, and development interviews.  Jesus Fucking Christ, you want them to add commentary to those videos too?  Not only is that a huge misallocation of precious resources, but what do you think the Bombcast is there for?

It's not advertising.  It's covering news about upcoming games.  They are doing as all their competitor websites are.  And, I mean, we're not even dealing with the background ads or forced commercials at the beginning of videos anymore....

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet
@fwylo said:
" I can understand the want for original video features such as mailbag or whatever and how those are being pushed aside by the ER as everyone says. "

The Mailbag? What the shit? If they're not getting anything or nothing worth mentioning, then how can they make a Mailbag?

Seriously people, just say it out loud, the Endurance Run is responsible for your lack of toasts this morning and the zit on your chin. Goddammit.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Metroid545
@ElegantRuby said:

"This is why I don't like the Endurance Run.  With four staff members participating, they do not have time for more original video content.  "

the ER is pretty damn awesome bro

and for the orignal poster-you serious? Thats what the site is all about, they are updateing us on all the game videos being let out and whats going on, if waht your saying is you want more written content then say that but GB has always been about video content and the bombcast so you may not be on the right site. 

Also calling posters that don't like what you said bitchy little kids doesn't make you superior
Corpsegrinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corpsegrinder

I'm just glad there isn't a mandatory fucking advertisement before each video.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By takua108
@Corpsegrinder said:
" I'm just glad there isn't a mandatory fucking advertisement before each video. "
I personally didn't have a problem with this back when they were doing it because I was like "hey, at least my boys is gettin' paid." 

...Plus I still need to play Dragon Age: Origins.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tiwi

Cool  thread bro

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By sixghost
@ch13696 said:
Giantbomb has never been about the news, and it hasn't been about the wiki for a year or so. The bombcast and the original videos are the biggest draws for this site.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@ElegantRuby said:
The Endurance Run is secondary to other stuff. When E3 arrives they aren't going to be rushing home to push out another episode of the ER, the site will be flooded with news. 

It's a slow point for news as everyone is waiting for E3 to make announcements. Giantbomb chooses to goof around and play the endurance run instead of creating useless lists like "Top 10 things we want to see in Gears 3" (IGN), starting rumours (also IGN) or posting random shit found on 4Chan and pretending it's news (Kotaku). If that's what you want then you now know where you can go to find it.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By lemon360
@Sweep said:
" @ElegantRuby said:
The Endurance Run is secondary to other stuff. When E3 arrives they aren't going to be rushing home to push out another episode of the ER, the site will be flooded with news. 

It's a slow point for news as everyone is waiting for E3 to make announcements. Giantbomb chooses to goof around and play the endurance run instead of creating useless lists like "Top 10 things we want to see in Gears 3" (IGN), starting rumours (also IGN) or posting random shit found on 4Chan and pretending it's news (Kotaku). If that's what you want then you now know where you can go to find it. "
Your totally right Sweep.
Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomethingClever

(before I start please keep in mind I mean no disrespect with anything I say so if I call you crazy I'm being more silly than serious) 

What should they be doing if you think what they are doing isn't correct?  I mean, they run a site about video games and they are providing us information about video games.  They write articles frequently which are great but it seems to me the best way to talk about and show a video game is with. . . bear with me here, this might be a crazy idea. . . video. 

Providing us with trailers and such is nice because it organizes everything onto one site rather than having to go to the developers pages and such.  Their original content is great because it gives us a glimpse of what a game really has to offer, not just what the commercials or trailers show. 

So, again I ask what is it you think they should be doing?  From what I've read here it seems you want them to sort of keep doing what they are doing but doing it shorter?  Less content?  Crazy talk man. 

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

You are confusing usefull information with advertisement.

SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SneakyPenguins

Want news go to Kotaku, this site is all about trailers and quick looks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

lolwuuuut

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60

A game site posting gameplay videos and trailers of games?!!? Blasphemy!

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Computerplayer1

Well seeing as how there has been the usual game drought it's difficult to do a whole lot more.

The endurance run is certainly not the reason why more original game content is being posted. Think back to the original ER. When there were things to be covered they were covered, and when they had a cool idea then they made a video.

Sometimes there just isn't much to do.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By rapid

I don't think it's really advertisement as more as they are like 'hey look this game is coming out, or here's more footage of this game' aside from quicklooks. They might be getting something from the publishers for posting trailers but I don't consider that as advertisement unless there is suddenly like a 1 min beer commercial in front of GB's videos =.=

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Just so we're clear, you're mad because they're giving you content for free? Ok...just checking

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Castro

It doesn't seem to me as though there are any more trailers than there were when the website first launched. Maybe it's just been such a gradual increase that I haven't noticed. I'm lazy so I can't bother to check. I think that the GB crew is doing a great job. TANG ended due to lack of video game movies to review and there hasn't been many mailbag videos recently. Maybe people have stopped sending them energy drinks because they stopped reviewing them on the podcast. Who knows? The good news is that they are still cooking up new stuff like TNT and the quest system to keep up entertained. With Alex and Matt now working at Screened, I'm sure that their presence will be felt on Giant Bomb as well. Maybe they'll have ideas for new features?

A lot has been said about the lack of quick looks and such because of the Endurance Runs eating up all of their time. Did they ever mention why they decided to do two Endurance Runs?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FengShuiGod

Every game site posts trailers of upcoming games. I don't see what's wrong with that, or why that would be considered advertising. The last time I checked you don't have watch them, and believe it or not some people might like to see a trailer for Skate 3, and some other people might like to see the reveal for Dead Space 2. 

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hinderk

The decrease in video content probably has less to do with the ER and more do with the fact that two guys went from producing video content for one site, to doing it for four sites.

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bkfountain

I imagine there's not much going on right now, as there has always been stuff like trailers. They already reviewed Alan Wake, never sounded too excited about Red Dead Redemption in the bombcasts, and there's nothing really huge coming out the rest of the month.

The ER was great to do around this time, where the industry seems to slow down until E3.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the major reason why there are so many trailers and gameplay videos is that there really aren't a whole lot of big games coming out. Red Dead Redemption and Blur are probably the only big ones this month.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FengShuiGod
@bkfountain said:
" I imagine there's not much going on right now, as there has always been stuff like trailers. They already reviewed Alan Wake, never sounded too excited about Red Dead Redemption in the bombcasts, and there's nothing really huge coming out the rest of the month.  The ER was great to do around this time, where the industry seems to slow down until E3. "
This too. Doing the ER isn't really crushing their ability to crank out hours and hours of content like some people seem to think. The ER isn't really an "instead of" kinda thing. It's more like "in addition to." The Bomb crew started the ER to produce exclusive content. If they weren't doing it they'd probably be doing what they were before which was everything GB does now minus the ER.