Is it a bad idea to wear my Giant Bomb T-shirt to the airport?

• 87 results
McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By McShank

I wore the giantbomb T-Shirt when i went into SeaTac the other week. No one seemed to care that it had the work Bomb Right in the front :D

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Arker101

Yeah, @Branthog: has said what needs to be said. It would be great if you could just wear your shirt to get on a plane, but because it has the word "bomb" on it, you'r likely to get called out by some one who thinks that an actual terrorist would wear that stylized shirt.

Also you get into the situation of "it's so idiotic that it's actually genius" and other paranoid-schizophrenic ideas....

That I have a lot of.

Oh, and by posting in this thread, we're all on FBI watch lists now, thanks Ryan.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By DrPockets000

@Dalai said:

Only if you wrap it around your head like a turban.

I laughed really hard at this. Followed.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By solidlife

You can but dont. Not worth the hassle.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Branthog
@Arker101 said:

Yeah, @Branthog: has said what needs to be said. It would be great if you could just wear your shirt to get on a plane, but because it has the word "bomb" on it, you'r likely to get called out by some one who thinks that an actual terrorist would wear that stylized shirt.

That's actually a point I failed to touch on. It's not just an issue of whether the TSA or a pilot or other "official" has a problem with the shirt. It depends on your fellow passengers. There are numerous examples in the news where people have been kicked off of an airplane, simply because a few other passengers didn't like their clothes or the fact that they were praying or had a turban or baggy pants. 

@McShank said:

I wore the giantbomb T-Shirt when i went into SeaTac the other week. No one seemed to care that it had the work Bomb Right in the front :D

That's another problem with the system. There is no consistency (logically, I suppose, since every airport is in a different state and airports are usually private, which is why security used to be a private matter before the TSA, too). So, you end up with things like no groping at the airport you left, but severe groping at the one you landed at. A magnetometer at one airport that isn't set off by much, while the one at another airport is tuned to openly that it alerts on your fucking dental fillings. Body scanners at one, but not the other. Four ounce limit for liquid containers at one, but three ounces at the other. The "rules" within one airport itself often conflict with themselves. What they implement in the line may be entirely different than what is stated on the website or on the placard at the start of the line.

I found that the best way to travel is with only one carry on (laptop with a change of clothes) and nothing else. No checked baggage and clothing with as little metal in it as possible. Get in, get on, get there, get off. Of course, now you can't do that, either . . . because if you don't have any checked baggage, they suspect that you're probably going to blow up the plane. Otherwise you'd bring luggage.

*grumble*
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By huntad

I understand why people say that they shouldn't have to worry about what we're wearing, but the fact is that we do. It's sad that it's come to this, but if the general opinion is that safety precautions needed to be taken after 9/11, regardless of whatever conspiracy theory bullshit you think, then it's what has to be done. If you don't mind being treated like an outcast, because you knew the possible repercussions of your actions, but chose to follow through then that's fine.

It's weird to me that people are egging you on saying that people shouldn't care that what you're wearing. Those are the kind of people that would sooner get you into trouble, and get the fuck out of there rather than offer you some real advice, or stick up for you. It's not like I'm saying, "Hey don't go to church with that shirt cause that ain't right", or "How are you gonna go to a formal dinner party with that shirt, that's not respectful", because that really is something stupid and totally subjective.

Anyways, if you do it, then be prepared to suffer the consequences. But if you get outed, don't make a scene or question the country's integrity, because that's kind of disrespectful of the people that had to die so that we can remain safer than we once were.

(Also, I won't respond to any argumentative comments replied to this post. I don't care what you have to say back to me, and I am never in the mood to argue about something like this.)

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Like Nike says, just do it. Don't listen to all the naysayers. If you get arrested and this turns into a news story, I'm sure you'll get a lifetime membership.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By Hizang

If you were to wear a T-Shirt that says I'm a terrorist would you get arrested?

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@huntad said:

(Also, I won't respond to any argumentative comments replied to this post. I don't care what you have to say back to me, and I am never in the mood to argue about something like this.)

I have the flu.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BraveToaster

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I say go for it and film it. Be sure to yell some GB crew quotes when you're being hauled away. And pray they don't put on rubber gloves.

Make sure you end every setence with "strap it on".

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Branthog
@huntad said:

I understand why people say that they shouldn't have to worry about what we're wearing, but the fact is that we do. It's sad that it's come to this, but if the general opinion is that safety precautions needed to be taken after 9/11, regardless of whatever conspiracy theory bullshit you think, then it's what has to be done. If you don't mind being treated like an outcast, because you knew the possible repercussions of your actions, but chose to follow through then that's fine.

It's weird to me that people are egging you on saying that people shouldn't care that what you're wearing. Those are the kind of people that would sooner get you into trouble, and get the fuck out of there rather than offer you some real advice, or stick up for you. It's not like I'm saying, "Hey don't go to church with that shirt cause that ain't right", or "How are you gonna go to a formal dinner party with that shirt, that's not respectful", because that really is something stupid and totally subjective.

Anyways, if you do it, then be prepared to suffer the consequences. But if you get outed, don't make a scene or question the country's integrity, because that's kind of disrespectful of the people that had to die so that we can remain safer than we once were.

Your point that if you're going to do it, then you have to acknowledge the risk of hassle and possibly more is something you're assuming is spot on.  When you antagonize the man, you have to know what might come next, even if it's not deserved. As long as you accept that, then hey, have at it. After all, civil disobedience is an important part of your civic duty. When you are confronted by a wrong, you can either ignore it and let it continue or you can stand up against it and when the oppressing authority reacts to you with such an unjustly overwhelming response, it makes them look bad and makes other people question the authority. This is how great revolutionaries have always manipulated events to overcome abuses by governments. This is what Ghandi did. It's what MLK did. Provoke the authority into such an over-reaction that the rest of the world can't help but react angrily to the injustice and demand it be changed.

The downside is that in modern society (at least in much of the UK and the US), society is so narrow-minded, jaded, cynical, and uneducated in civics and their liberties and their history that they often react to these events with a fairly retarded "hurr durr ya done got what ya had comin' too ya!". Which is why I personally advise caution if you're going to attempt such a provocation by wearing the shirt. Even if you accomplish something, there's a good chance people's attitude toward you won't be one of "wow, someone standing up to the man", but "wow, what a dumbass". That's just where we've arrived, sadly.

Anyway, I feel that your comment that you shouldn't make a scene or question the country's integrity because of "people that had to die so that we can remain safer than we once were" could not be farther off (though I understand your underlying sentiment).

Nobody anywhere died so that you could be treated like a criminal by government and private thugs in line at an airport and so that your rights and liberties could be violated. If anyone has died for anything, it has been to protect your rights. And if there is any argument that we are safer than we once were, it is not attributable to the TSA groping and harassing you (in fact, they have not prevented anything and in turn have only caused grief from hassling citizens to stealing their belongings and selling them on eBay).

That isn't to say that someone should be an obnoxious dick about things, but to suggest that you should be quiet and obey and be respectful because someone died "for your safety" is really counter to everything that people should hold valuable and plays into the hands of those that utilize fear to subject the public these and other violations.

PS: If you wear a Gamespot teeshirt, you probably won't get beaten or abused... but you should. :P
Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Czarpyotr

@Jumanji: I don't have a wardrobe full of swag shirts or anything. I have my GB member shirt and this Giantbomb one, which no one will understand unless they are familiar with the site. More of a fun way to fun into other GB fans. I don't tend to cover myself in nerd garb though just to be clear.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#63  Edited By tearhead

I'm about to wear the same shirt during my trip to Barbados. I'm gonna wear a long sleeve button up over it, though, and button that shit up when I go through security. I don't think anything will happen, but I would not want an unnecessary delay.

gustl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By gustl

@Kyreo said:

Who cares what shirt you are wearing. If we as americans have to fear and worry if what we wear offends the institutions set before us, then we need to reorganize those institutions. Especially when they are merely for TRANSPORTATION purposes. Yer shirt doesn't stop anything that goes on in an airport from happening. Fucking wear it.

This.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#65  Edited By apathylad

Now I'm wondering whether it's okay to wear a shirt that says "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Tennmuerti

In terrified America, probably not.
Otherwise go for it.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By CJduke

Haha

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Winternet

If you're only wearing a shirt during this damn freeze, there's something wrong with you.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SharkEthic

@SethPhotopoulos said:

If your gonna ask that question you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Exactly. Security at JFK, LAX etc. is insane so why risk anything over a fucking t-shirt?

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mordi
@Trylks said:

@ShadowConqueror: Most people need to talk to a psychiatrist. That's a fact.

That's not a fact. That's a question of how you define "need".
Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By Sharpless

@gustl said:

@Kyreo said:

Who cares what shirt you are wearing. If we as americans have to fear and worry if what we wear offends the institutions set before us, then we need to reorganize those institutions. Especially when they are merely for TRANSPORTATION purposes. Yer shirt doesn't stop anything that goes on in an airport from happening. Fucking wear it.

This.

I'm sorry, but inviting a huge fucking inconvenience just because, dammit, I have rights, man? To me, that just doesn't make any sense. It isn't a question of being afraid of anything, it's a question of, "Do I want to wear this shirt that is very likely to make security hold me up and be a huge pain in the ass?" After all, it's just a t-shirt. If wearing a boring t-shirt saves me an hour of being hassled by airport security, then so be it. It isn't justifying their behavior. It's gaming their stupid, screwed up system.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Grillbar

try it and find out, just dont look them in the eye

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By LiquidS

It is kinda funny but also pretty sad that this is actually a serious question. I probably wouldn't wear it to an airport.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jimbo

Not if you Tippex "I Don't Have A" above the logo. In fact they'll probably wave you straight through and thank you for saving them some time.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Khadyn

This topic is actually kinda funny because I was gonna ask the same thing 3 months ago (I have the one you mentioned but at the time I was debating on the one with the big red BOMB on the front) but, decided that people are fucking nutcases now a days in airports. Like everyone is saying, not worth the time or hassles...

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Example1013

So when are we getting a "How I learned to stop worrying and love the 'Bomb" t-shirt?

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#78  Edited By trylks
Loopah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#79  Edited By Loopah

Good catch, haha. I probably would have just worn it and not thought about it until sitting in the line waiting to go through security =/

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By lockwoodx

I've worn mine to the beach. An airport should be fine.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#81  Edited By bacongames

The question is why you want to wear that shirt in particular when you travel. Is it because you wear it all the time, it happened to be the shirt that day, or you deliberately wearing it because its funny to wear a shirt with "bomb" on it to the airport.

If you like the shirt, wear the shirt, it's just a shirt. The fact that people would freak out is just an assumption and unless you really want to know the answer just wear something else or be cool with it. I guess there's no way of knowing until you try it or you stop giving a shit and move on. My guess would be that the only shirt that would get you any attention is "I have a bomb and I'm going to use it on this airport" which would be stupid and the worst case scenario.

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jtman54179

OP in a photo with a few cool TSA agents.....Priceless

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#83  Edited By me3639

Only if you cut with your belly showing.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#84  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Why take a chance duder? Better safe than sorry.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By dtat

@Czarpyotr: YES lol

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points