• 71 results
Avatar image for nietzschecookie
Posted by NietzscheCookie (122 posts) 2 years, 1 month ago

Poll: Is it me or is the start of 2017 shaping up a bit too well for games? (539 votes)

All of them! What is money? 4%
Mass effect: Andromeda 46%
Horizon: Zero Dawn 35%
Zelda: Breath of the wild 35%
Nioh 19%
Nier: Automata 23%
For Honor 8%
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands 10%
Halo Wars 2? 6%
None of them (other games/ I always wait because I'm smart) 21%
None of them! No really, what is money and how do i get it? 6%

Which are you getting at launch? (Multiple choices enabled)

The slate is looking a little too good for the first three months of this year, which are usually the dry months. Which games are must buys and which are sadly going to get cut on your game buying budget, delaying your enjoyment and zeitgeist ticket until they go on sale. You must choose, there is no other way.

#1 Posted by Asurastrike (2306 posts) -

None of those games really stand out to me. Mass Effect and Horizon: Zero Dawn I am cautiously optimistic about. I will probably pick up Nioh and Zelda eventually, but I don't feel like there is any rush. I think Persona 5 is going to be my next buy.

#2 Edited by NietzscheCookie (122 posts) -

I chose Mass effect, horizon and Zelda. By launch, I mean a general four week window where reviews have been released and assume each games review lives up to at least moderate expectations.

#3 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1961 posts) -

I only buy 1 or 2 new full priced games a year. Zelda will most definatly be one of those. Looks head and shoulders above everything else.

Avatar image for the_atomic_dumpling
#4 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2578 posts) -

Mass Effect 4, if people dig it and the PC version is up to snuff.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

Mass Effect almost certainly unless it's a trainwreck. None of the others really do it for me. Maybe Ghost Recon when it's stupidly cheap during a sale.

It's rare that I do full-priced games, and I already recently bought RE7 at full price, so I'm being good for a while and sticking to titles that I waited on last year.

#6 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -

I've been thinking more and more lately about not buying games at launch and waiting for sales and 'Complete Editions' a year later. I haven't bought a currently new AAA game since Dark Souls III.

But Zelda Wii-U is probably not going to get a price reduction for a long, long time because it's Nintendo. And I've had it pre-ordered through Amazon since January last year so have a reasonable discount from when it dipped in price. It was also the game that sold me on getting a Wii-U so it would be wild if I didn't get it now.

#7 Posted by geirr (3739 posts) -

I mean we got the first good triple A horror game in forever so yes 2017 is already a landmark for videogames as far as I'm concerned. From this list though only Zelda sticks out as something I'll likely get day 1. I might've put New Donk City on there, in which case that'd be another vote.

I don't trust EA/Bioware at all so that's a wait and see for Andromeda.

#8 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7089 posts) -

Seems like a pretty darn good year so far. Already picked up Gravity Rush 2. Gonna pick up Nioh at launch. Thought about picking both Nier and Breath of the Wild up at the same time, but I honestly don't know if i'll finish both before Persona 5. Thinking about going with BotW simply because of the Prime preorder discount and the fact Nintendo game take fucking ages to drop in price if they ever drop at all. Nier, on the other hand will probably be $30-35 a few months after it's release so it might be smarter for me to pick it up then.

#9 Edited by BeachThunder (15117 posts) -

Not a single one of those. It's a shame that I've stopped caring about the Mass Effect franchise.

Maybe, just maybe, Routine will actually come out sometime soon. Also, I'm interested to hear about how Torment shapes up. But I'm not holding my breath.

#10 Posted by mems1224 (2496 posts) -

I would love to play Zelda but Nintendo hasn't made either console appealing to me. Nioh is not my thing. I'm gonna wait to see how Nier turns out but the demo was cool. Same for For Honor, it looks neat but I'd like to play it first.

Definitely most hyped for Mass Effect, Halo Wars 2, Ghost Recon and Horizon

#12 Posted by Humanity (18592 posts) -

@undefined: nothing is ever "too good" in my experience. I have high hopes for a lot of those games but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if more than half of them fall flat on their face in some way.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
#13 Edited by AdequatelyPrepared (2522 posts) -

If I had a PS4 Nioh (and Persona 5) would probably be a must-buy. Nier's release date for PC is right now incredibly vague so that's also something I'll probably have to wait on.

I was going to get RE7 but the lack of cheap options kept me from buying it day one. At this point I might as well just wait it out a bit longer for a sale on it, seeing as 'AAA games going on larger sales far sooner' seems to be a running theme this last year and a bit. Maybe I'll replay Dead Space. Everything else on that list just kind of washes over me. I can see why people might be excited but none of it draws me in.

#14 Posted by NietzscheCookie (122 posts) -

I should say I already made the hard choice to give up on RE 7. I really like the series but there's too much I want to play this year to put my money towards it. I set a max allowance for myself at the start of the year, poor reviews can open up new spots- but there's often just as many suprises. I feel better about it by thinking that maybe in a few years I'll get a PSVR and maybe that will be the best way to experience it.

#15 Posted by Asurastrike (2306 posts) -

In every comment section around the internet, there's always at least one guy who can look at a list of a bunch of all-star games and say none of them are of interest, lol.

As for that list, there are a couple I don't really care about, but I'm excited for most of them. there are two potential day-ones for me.

I'm not sure which game on the list would be considered an all-star game.

• Mass Effect Andromeda is a sequel to the massively disappointing Mass Effect 3.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn is being made by Guerilla Games, a studio that has pretty much just been pumping out KillZone sequels since the PS2.
  • Zelda could be good, but it seems like a pretty big departure from previous titles, which could be great, or could be terrible.
  • From everything I hear Nioh seems great.
  • Nier: Automata looks interesting, but as of late Platinum has had a pretty spotty track record.
  • Only time will tell if the combat in For Honor will be something that holds peoples' interest longterm. It looks like it could get old real fast.
  • Wildlands is yet another Tom Clancy's sequel.
  • Halo Wars 2 is a sequel to Halo Wars, a game that has its fans, but is probably most famous around these forums for "All Units."

#16 Edited by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

The only one of those I know and like is Zelda, and I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the direction the series is taking. I haven't had a Nintendo since the Gamecube and don't plan on getting another.

Platinum Games seems like a mediocre developer, from what I've played. I'm also not into that kind of JRPG look.

#17 Posted by ripelivejam (13106 posts) -

huh, for all the shit talk mass effect is topping the poll. i would be interested in it too, but i feel i need to sincerely play the games myself to have a real perspective on the series (did quite enjoy watching a friend playing through large chunks of 2 and 3). i did enjoy the game it's based directly off of (dragon's age inquisition) so hell maybe i could just jump right in.

other than that zelda, horizon, and maybe nier are pretty guaranteed locks on my wallet. i'm hoping horizon has a good deal of monster hunter in its DNA. zelda looks fucking glorious so far and a natural progression from wind waker which is arguably my favorite zelda.

#18 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

You're missing Persona 5.

2016 ended up being a top 5 year in gaming for me. So many damn good games. 2017 has only a few I'm interested in so far:

Persona 5

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Mass Effect: Andromeda (maybe)

For Honor looks interesting, but like Andromeda, I'm unsure if it's going to be my kind of thing.

#19 Posted by Morningstar (2460 posts) -

Numenera, Persona 5, Horizon, Zelda, Nioh and Nier. Didn't buy many games at launch last year, but these I'll gladly pay full price for.

#20 Posted by NietzscheCookie (122 posts) -

@viking_funeral: Persona 5 is April. This is first three months, I had to choose a cutoff somewhere and honestly it might have been a good idea for Persona to move back to April where it is more or less alone in the calendar.

#21 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

Mass Effect Andromeda
Nioh
For Honor
Horizon
Zelda

Those for me. It's going to be great and suck at the same time because there is so much good stuff! This year looks like it will be even better than 2016. Videogames! They only get better as time goes on.

#22 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

I think this is becoming a more common occurrence as games delay into the following year. Sucks for my backlog but what can you do? Aside from ... like, not purchase games right off the bat.

#23 Posted by NietzscheCookie (122 posts) -

I had zero knowledge of Torment: Tides of Numenera before making this thread, but that seems really cool and its a pc/consoles simultaneous release? Another for the 'wait for a really good sale' list.

#24 Posted by cikame (2711 posts) -

For me in this list it's For Honor, Nier and maybe Wildlands.
But ultimately i'm waiting for Tekken 7 in... June...... ugh.

#25 Posted by MezZa (3038 posts) -

I'm hedging my bets on Persona 5, Nier, Zelda, and Mass Effect. I was going to go for Horizon as well, but something in my gut feels off about that game. I'm going to wait for coverage before I commit to it. Might pick up Torment as well, but with all of the above coming out I see myself waiting for the summer to play that one.

#26 Edited by liquiddragon (3287 posts) -

I mean, there is always going to be naysayers but looking at what's been released already and the near term roll out, it seems like gamers are a bit spoiled at the moment. I haven't played any of it lol but I definitely wish I was and they're, for sure, on a wishlist somewhere.

#27 Posted by glots (4256 posts) -

Horizon's the first big release of the year that I'm plenty interested in. I just really hope the story and gameplay are good, so that it won't end up being just a big "meh" open-world game. Automata played well, but I still don't have any love for the characters and their design, which is a pretty big factor in a game like that.

What comes to indie games, though, Night in the Woods is above those other games. I have some real high hopes for it.

#28 Posted by sagesebas (2465 posts) -

@asurastrike: me too really excited for persona 5 I might rent mass effect if it comes out really good

#29 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

ME for me. I would buy Nioh for sure but I only play on PC.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#30 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2947 posts) -

Nier Automata and Persona 5 are the only ones I gotta play ASAP. Horizon and ME, maybe eventually.

#31 Posted by Trilogy (3195 posts) -

Perssoooonnaaaa

Avatar image for militantfreudian
#32 Edited by militantfreudian (676 posts) -

For how formulaic Bioware games have been, I still can't decide what type of game Andromeda is, given how little we've seen of it. I'm not sure if the emphasis this time around is on side-quests and other open-world activities like Inquisition, or on the main story. And now that I think about it, I haven't really liked a Bioware game since Mass Effect 2, so I can't say I'm really excited for Andromeda, but I might get it if it turns out to be a good story-driven game.

The only games I'm actually interested in getting in the next three months or so are Night in the Woods (which is out in less than three weeks I guess), Persona 5 (because I quite literally just finished watching the ER for the first time today and I want to play a Persona game so bad), and possibly Prey.

#33 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Horizon and Nioh, considering For Honor. Didn't even realize Mass Effect was coming out in March, though it was fall; not too late for it to be delayed though (not that I want it to, I enjoy buying Mass Effect for 20 bucks).

I believe Nioh is the first Koei Tecmo game to have over an 85 on metacritic in 10+ years so that's nice.

Not buying Persona at all; though I might eventually play the ones that I own.

Did they bump up the For Honor release date? Could've sworn it was in April at some point, reverse delay mayhap?

Injustice Day One

More one line paragraphs

Nier maybe

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#34 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -
@glots said:

What comes to indie games, though, Night in the Woods is above those other games. I have some real high hopes for it.

I was about to write Night in the Woods. Ever since Alex did the QL of the Lost Constellation side-story, I've been really interested in that game.

#35 Edited by Slag (8155 posts) -
  • Zelda
  • Horizon
  • Mass Effect
  • Persona 5
  • Fire Emblem 2remake
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Torment: Tides of Numerera
  • For Honor

Are the things I'm liable to get in the first half of this year, so yeah this year is stacked as hell already and we don't have e3 announcements yet

Whether I buy them at launch depends on how much free time I'll have then.

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15668 posts) -

Of the games on that list, Zelda is the one I will probably get around launch, unless it's some sort of trainwreck. I'm also excited for Torment: Tides of Numenera, though my expectations have been tempered a bit after being reminded that Wasteland 2 was merely "okay." Still, it's been almost 4 years since I backed that thing and I really want to see where all of that money went.

#37 Edited by TheWildCard (694 posts) -

Picking up a good number of those eventually, but Persona is the only Day 1 purchase on the horizon.

#38 Posted by krummi (121 posts) -

Nier or Mass Effect is my pick. Depends if I can get Yakuza 0 out of the way in time (not buying games on launch if I have something else going on). Horizon is on my list as a definite purchase as well. These pushed past RE 7 already so there's four games being jostled around my queue and the DS3 DLC is also coming soon.

Should be set until summer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
#39 Posted by deactivated-5a48350594a61 (84 posts) -

No Persona 5?

#40 Posted by huntad (2407 posts) -

@asurastrike: With the exception of horizon, because I don't have a PS4, this is what I'm thinking as well. I am gonna get Persona 5 on PS3. I don't think anything else stands out to me, but Mass Effect could be good.

#41 Posted by Redbullet685 (6479 posts) -

Horizon and Mass Effect are the ones I'm most likely to buy on or around launch. There's not much else I'm excited for coming out relatively soon but I'm happy for others who are looking forward to all these games. Nioh and Nier seem cool.

#42 Edited by ajamafalous (13812 posts) -

I always wait because I'm smart

#43 Edited by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

Honestly, the only things I'm buying in the first half of this year are the Switch (which I keep thinking about canceling my preorder for) and Persona 5, which I've been waiting on since it was originally announced for winter 2014 and have scheduled a week of vacation from my job to play. Other than that, the only games on that list I'd be interested in are Horizon, whose prerelease material is starting to look questionable, and Mass Effect, which I burned out on before I even got to the end of 3. It's a great time to be playing video games, but I think for me personally the first half of this year (and the later half from what I've read) is largely just going to be me finally getting to my backlog.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#44 Edited by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

This year sucks for me gaming wise it feels like another 2014 or maybe even worst. I enjoyed RE7 and I'm kinda looking forward to the new Mass effect and Prey game but other than that this is going to be a dry year for gaming for me which really sucks. I'm looking forward more to some TV series this year than games but I rather have it the other way around here's hoping they announce some good games at E3 that will be ready for the Fall.

#45 Posted by yabbering_yeti (101 posts) -

Mass effect for me! I want it on pc, but the dlc pricing on origin is putting me off. I never played mass effect 2 dlc for that reason... all these years later and it still costs like $80-$100 to get it all.

#46 Posted by ripelivejam (13106 posts) -

@yabbering_yeti: yeah i'll admit it's sorta crap; who's buying it even? just put the real complete edition out already and actually make some money. kinda weird as it seems the inquisition dlc was on sale quite often, and they also have a (truly) complete edition of that. maybe cause mass effect is a lot more popular. don't know.

#47 Posted by Lv4Monk (494 posts) -

But guys, haven't you heard? The video game industry is a garbage fire of uncreative, greedy assholes that are totally anti-consumer and succeed only thanks to all the sheeple that don't know any better...

Zelda and Nier look good, though. Wish I had a PS4 for Nioh but alas, I'm poor.

#48 Posted by Y2Ken (2931 posts) -

From this list I ticked Mass Effect, Zelda, Horizon, and NieR. The first two I'll almost certainly pick up, the latter two I'm intending to though I will probably wait to see what the general consensus is. If I have time I may still dive into both of them anyway, because I want to try more games that are slightly outside my remit. Persona 5 is definitely the very top of my list, however.

#49 Posted by chrispaul92 (149 posts) -

Persona 5

#50 Posted by ripelivejam (13106 posts) -