Is it really worth it for GB to go to PAX?

• 147 results
mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mortface

I love Giant Bomb and all the content they produce, but I question if it's really worthwhile for so many of the crew to be attending all these expos. I mean, the site basically shuts down without any content every time they do. Sure, we often get the panels and they're sometimes pretty good - but I'd take a UPF over a PAX panel every single time.

I know that the people in the audience must really enjoy seeing the crew live and it seems like a good time for them, but is it really worth it to entertain ~100 people while the remaining 1000s of us get pretty slim pickings as a result?

Is there some other value to PAX that I'm missing? I'm kinda starting to resent PAX itself, because every expo means Giant Bomb shuts down for a few days.

I'm not saying I think GB shouldn't go to these expos at all, just that maybe they shouldn't send everyone on staff. Maybe with GBeast this won't be as much of a problem - I'd watch a UPF with only Vinny!

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Looks like there's plenty going on this week to me.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think when they go to events like PAX it helps give the staff a chance to meet and mingle with other people in the industry. And the more people they know and are friends with, the more insider info they can give us, as well as being able to line up awesome guests for quick looks and the bombcast. Though in all honesty that is just me guessing.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I agree with you. I would rather they covered Gamescom and TGS than PAX or even events that only require sending two people. Vinny & Ryan in England, Drew & Brad in Korea and Drew & Patrick in Iceland were all great sets of videos.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi

Yup same here. The GB panel has never been that fun to watch and the PAX rumble as lost all it's novelty.

Vinny and Alex UPF would be the best. I would actually prefer it to the normal show.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the decision to go to Pax likem...their call?

Plus if they didn't, the site would be filled with "Why aren't they coveting this game at Pax" posts

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By conmulligan

Normally I'd say it is worthwhile, but I think they threw their lot in with the wrong show this year. I would have been infinitely more interested in GDC coverage and nightly shows than I am in another PAX panel.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 Pax? For Sure!

2 Paxes? eh, sounds good

3 Paxes? UGH!!!

At least we're getting Paxamania out of this.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I was able to attend PAX I would love it so I honestly don't begrudge missing a UPF though. Hell why don't we do a community UPF for moments such as these?!!!

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

The guys have stated multiple times that the point of them going to PAX is getting to meet and hang out with users of the site. It's not about making content. It's about connecting with human beings.

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mortface

@nophilip: Yeah, and that's kinda my question. The vast majority of GB users are never going to go to PAX, and I imagine those that do will most likely go again - so all they're really doing is connecting with the *same* duders over and over again. Which is cool for them, certainly! But I just wonder if that 'connecting' is worth it when the overwhelming majority of GB users don't really get anything from it.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Well the panel has about a thousand people in the crowd. They always talk about how they want to meet the fans so PAX seems like one of the best ways to do that.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@mortface: It's also not just for the benefit of the users, but for the benefit of the GB crew. I bet they wouldn't keep doing this if they didn't have a lot of fun doing it. Hell, Jeff's talked for years about the idea of doing some sort of tour. They do this sort of thing because they want to do it.

I live in Michigan, which means I'm just about as far away from the three US PAXes that you can be and still be in the continental US. I'm not going to any PAXes this year, and I don't know that I'll be going anytime in the next couple of years. But just because I can't go doesn't mean I don't want other duders or the GB crew to have that fun experience. I'm OK with a few days of light content if the result is that a bunch of people can have a great time.

Also, in the past PAX has meant some very light content weeks, but as others have pointed out, that sure doesn't seem to be the case this week. We've had 9 videos and 3 podcasts so far this week, and there are another 3 videos and 1 podcast on the Upcoming feed. Plus whatever recordings we get out of the various PAX panels.

So really, I don't think there's any reason to complain about it. The one thing that bums me out about it this year is, like @conmulligan mentioned, we have to miss out on a GDC couch video this year. Oh well.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The panels are always filled to capacity which is 1000+. There are almost no conventions like PAX which are consumer/fan focused. This gives GB a chance to physically interact with fans. Sure the content isn't as great when viewed after the fact because a live audience has much different pacing.

Also they have 5 videos this weekend. A Dan premium podcast to replace a UPF. You seem to be complaining about nothing.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How dare they go and do something unique and game-related and socialize with friends that they hardly ever get to see instead of making content for ME!?! Of course, there's still a bunch of content coming up... but NOT ENOUGH!!

ANGRY NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Light content for a while in exchange for the crew to take a load off and have some work-sanctioned fun? I'm cool with it. Even if I'll probably never make it to a PAX.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I always enjoy watching their PAX panels. So yes, I think it is worth it that they go. They get to hang out with the fans and see indie stuff. Also, it's fun for them.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

It's hard to appreciate the user-friendly element of meetings at PAX for anyone that's not going to get a reasonable chance of attending one at all. But since the option is "meet none of the fans" or "at least occasionally meet some of them" I can't say I disagree with the Bomb crew's stance. It might be a psychologically important counterbalance to usually just getting somewhat impersonal feedback via their website.

The feeling of experiencing a very content-rich phase of GB right now (hopefully just the overture to further smart, consistent and careful growth) certainly helps with not feeling left out. I was glad they cancelled the "world tour" back in the day since I loved the spirit of the idea but dreaded the consequences for their online presence.

I don't love how US- or even San Francisco-centric the gaming scene comes across at times (conventions, focus on American games, time zones, miserable EU streaming providers etc.) but ultimately that's just a reflection of where some of the most skilled game critics happen to reside. GB has found a better balance than most by wearing their biases on their sleeves and going out of their way to try and break out of that bubble. And that's good enough for me.

(I don't know enough about their timetables at conventions to say if they should send one, three or all of them so I won't comment on that further.)

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically this week we're trading UPF for:

1) GB Panel

2) Paxamania

3) Vinny on 404ing it (I know...)

4) Jeff on the panel about reviews

5) The crew being able to socialize with users

6) Interaction with developers, inside info on future releases, maybe the chance to play a thing or two for the crew

I don't know, man. Sounds like a pretty good trade.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Let us never forget that Ryan Davis drank breast milk from a stranger at a PAX panel.

I would watch a PAX panel over UPF anyday.

Also, look at the overwhelming response. Instead of complaining about them not giving you a few days worth of non-pax content (they've been releasing content like crazy this week so what?) you save up some money, spend a few vacation days, and hit up a PAX yourself. Trust me, it's a great time!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ratamero said:

1) GB Panel

2) Paxamania

6) Interaction with developers, inside info on future releases, maybe the chance to play a thing or two for the crew

That seems like a good trade, but it's leaving out the fact that GB is a business. The cost of going to PAX and how much revenue it generates vs the cost of a UPF and how much revenue it generates also needs to be taken into account. There's only so much budget for them to spend in a year and spending money on PAX means not spending money on things like EVO, SDCC, TGS and Gamescom.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I have no interest in the trade shows, but for people who do have interest in the trade shows, I think it means a lot that they go.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 FinalDasa  Moderator  Online

PAX is only 3 days a week and most of it is the weekend. Throw in a day or 2 for travel and you only lose half a week of production.

And you get PAX videos from PAX so they're technically producing stuff while at the event.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll understand if you ever go to PAX and see them there. It's pretty fucking cool.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uhtaree

I'm sure it's worthwhile for the crew or they wouldn't keep going to all of these, but I'm with the OP, I've come to resent Paxes now. For a stay at home user like me, all a Pax means is a panel video (which personally I get less and less from, to the point where I didn't bother starting up the Pax South one) and half of next week's podcast devoted to the happenings, which can mean skipping through a lot of that.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

I say we keep PAX, add a few other conferences and just ditch the whole 6-8 week Game of the Year business?

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too feel guilty about these same selfish thoughts. I understand that it allows them to connect with their fans and in a way it could be an escape from the day-to-day in SF. I also imagine there are plenty of industry people they like to hang out with and that in some cases PAX might be the only way they see each other. All that being said, I can't help but resent the events and the ways it takes the crew away from me.

I know the problem is me. I don't welcome these feelings. I'm a selfish person by nature and I do my best to not allow it to manifest outwardly. Thank you for bringing this up at least. I've bottled these feelings up for awhile now and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I obviously don't actually expect the GB Crew to do anything about it; if it's something they feel good about doing then it's important they continue.

Perhaps I need to work on having more in my life so these sorts of things don't bother me.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By sweep  Moderator

PAX helps humanise the staff and let's them meet their community in a way that's accessible and not creepy or weird. Remember when people used to just turn up outside the Whiskey offices and stare at them through the glass? No thanks. It's also genuinely a lot of fun, an opportunity for them to go hang out with their industry friends in a context that isn't as stressful or work oriented as E3 or GDC.

I got to drink tequila with Ryan at PAX 3 years ago and I wouldn't have swapped that experience for anything.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed said:

Instead of complaining about them not giving you a few days worth of non-pax content (they've been releasing content like crazy this week so what?) you save up some money, spend a few vacation days, and hit up a PAX yourself.

Spending hundreds (potentially thousands if you're travelling internationally) of dollars for a weekend vacation is something that's completely unjustifiable for a lot of people. Hell, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford to travel regularly, and PAX is still way, way down on the list of places I'd spend my vacation time on.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratamero said:

1) GB Panel

2) Paxamania

That seems like a good trade, but it's leaving out the fact that GB is a business. The cost of going to PAX and how much revenue it generates vs the cost of a UPF and how much revenue it generates also needs to be taken into account. There's only so much budget for them to spend in a year and spending money on PAX means not spending money on things like EVO, SDCC, TGS and Gamescom.

Don't forget the Video producer panel with Jason, Vinny and Drew.

And as for the other industry events: outside of E3, I don't think it's necessary any more to attend everything tangentially related to gaming, especially since most of the important stuff is being streamed on the internet. I could do without "Here's the new Batman trailer from ComicCon" and "Here is some stuff they announced at GamesCom / TGS!". Couple that with a savvy audience who glean most information from trailers or gameplay footage...

Don't forget that Giantbomb is a personality-driven video game site. To solidify and expand their audience those personalities need to get out there.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd much rather the crew run off to whatever event they want, than have them locked in an office somewhere slaving over content and burning out after 2-3 years. The relatively low turnover at GB over the past few years is a testament to the worth of them being able to shake things up, let their hair down, or take a break if they want / feel the need to.

I just hope that if they do not find benefit from PAX, or any other event, they do not feel the need to slavishly attend just for the sake of it (look at how basically everyone in the industry bemoans E3 because it feels like something they HAVE to attend, rather than WANT to attend). A fresh, happy Bombcrew is an awesome Bombcrew.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: Every time someone mentions PAX that is the first memory that comes to mind.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its what keeps these guys motivated to keep doing what they do, as someone who had my first experience meeting them at the last pax prime (so you can cut that talk about them meeting the same people over and over each pax) , they do genuinely love to meet the fans. and we love to meet and talk with them, as they have stated many times, without the premium members, Giantbomb wouldnt be around.

Seems like thats Jeff's feelings on it as well. http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/112700335056/is-it-possible-for-you-guys-to-go-to-japan-for-the#notes

you tend to appreciate PAX and Giantbomb's contribution more once you actually go, and you should one of these days if you are able, its a great time.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zeik

Some of you are kinda acting like selfish little brats. I've never been to PAX, and probably never will, but I've never once begrudged the crew for going to a PAX to interact with the people that can go. The world doesn't revolve around me. Even if the site completely shut down while they were gone, so what? A few days without Giantbomb is not the end of the world, and if nothing else they usually have some entertaining stories to tell when they get back.

And they're not morons, nor mindless drones. If they didn't think it was worth going they wouldn't go. I doubt they're under any obligation to attend. (Initially at least.)

Lucifunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be a lot happier if PAX would stop being stingy with getting them rooms they can stream it out live for. Their panels clearly are in demand but instead we'll probably see some Minecraft dorks talk about youtube or something on one of the Twitch streams for hours. It seems like every one they go to has less resources then the previous for them to use.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, selfishly i don't really get anything at all from these PAX panels and just resent them for the content we end up missing. One a year, fine, but three or four? Way too many, especially when they skip other expos.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@fobwashed said:

Instead of complaining about them not giving you a few days worth of non-pax content (they've been releasing content like crazy this week so what?) you save up some money, spend a few vacation days, and hit up a PAX yourself.

Spending hundreds (potentially thousands if you're travelling internationally) of dollars for a weekend vacation is something that's completely unjustifiable for a lot of people. Hell, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford to travel regularly, and PAX is still way, way down on the list of places I'd spend my vacation time on.

Prime and East take place in some pretty nice spots for travel outside of the convention itself. I visited Boston and Seattle in the past before ever considering attending PAX. As far as conventions go, PAX seems to be a super cool place to go if you're into video games. The main draw is meeting up with friends and a lot of people who make the games we play are there as well. Getting to tell the people who made stuff I love that I love their stuff face to face is an amazing experience. I'm missing out on East this time around because we decided to take a vacation elsewhere but damned if I'm not feeling jealous of everyone who's about to have a blast now. It's a huge luxury to be able to travel and all I'm sayin if you can manage somehow, you should. Lots of people I've met aren't swimming in money but they manage to make it out and none of em seem to regret it. Of course YMMV~

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_dude_abides: what content would we be missing? Apart from some GDC announcements (and both being on the same week is just a shitty fluke) there are no big game being released that they would cover. Plus there is plenty of content being released this week. A podcast instead of UPF is the only major change from week over week.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Somehow I'd rather watch a PAX panel they're having a good time at rather than the typical UPF where they look almost painfully bored.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: Oh, yeah, I totally get the appeal. I'm just not a fan of conventions in general, especially when it means a trip across the Atlantic.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nardak

I think it is a good idea for the Giant Bomb staff to get out there and meet people once in a while. It kinda gives fresh perspective on the job.Conventions are a good way to break up the work routine.

Also as others have said Pax is also a good place to see if there is any new stuff out there and make those essential contacts which they can use in the future. In a way it is also a way for Giant Bomb staff to market their website to people by being in different panels. Maybe some of the people might subscribe to the site after seeing Jeff or someone else from the Giant Bomb in a panel at Pax.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@mortuss_zero said:

Somehow I'd rather watch a PAX panel they're having a good time at rather than the typical UPF where they look almost painfully bored.

I'm going to be that guy in this thread and ask: Why haven't they brought back TNT already? I've enjoyed a few UPFs, but it's mostly "check out this game I found." That's no where near as good as "let's play multiplayer with Giant Bomb users."

As for PAX, I imagine it's just as much about meeting fans as it is getting to see some new stuff. Plus it sounds like they enjoy it more than they do E3. Let them have some fun, and let the GB fans at Pax have some fun as well. They aren't beholden to us.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their coverage from their Giant square room is always better than any UPF anyway. The amount of fantastic guests that they always bring in is great.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nardak

@viking_funeral: I am kinda thinking that TNT was pretty much Ryans idea. Also assuming that Ryan was in charge of scheduling stuff that was supposed to happen from one week to another. With Ryans passing they were lacking in manpower and probably just decided to drop TNT.

They also stopped doing mail bags for a while (which I also assume was Ryans idea...could be totally wrong). Fortunately they started doing mail bags again. A TNT where they would play with Giant Bomb users would be a nice feature. There are a lot of games out there in which Giant Bomb staff and its readers could play together.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Niceanims

Personally, I disagree. I think the PAX panel is a lot more entertaining than most UPFs and it's clearly not stopping content like it used to, judging by the Coming Up section.

@viking_funeral said:

I'm going to be that guy in this thread and ask: Why haven't they brought back TNT already? I've enjoyed a few UPFs, but it's mostly "check out this game I found." That's no where near as good as "let's play multiplayer with Giant Bomb users."

They should bring back TNT

Edit: and quests

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@viking_funeral: TNT was a lot of fun, but I think Jeff is on record as saying that "TNT was Ryan's thing, and we're going to to leave it alone"

Too bad unfortunately

Salvationtwist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whenever Giantbomb UNITES its worth it

cant wait for the rumble and for the gang to come together in 1 panel

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nardak said:

@viking_funeral: I am kinda thinking that TNT was pretty much Ryans idea. Also assuming that Ryan was in charge of scheduling stuff that was supposed to happen from one week to another. With Ryans passing they were lacking in manpower and probably just decided to drop TNT.

They also stopped doing mail bags for a while (which I also assume was Ryans idea...could be totally wrong). Fortunately they started doing mail bags again. A TNT where they would play with Giant Bomb users would be a nice feature. There are a lot of games out there in which Giant Bomb staff and its readers could play together.

I think the lack of mailbag videoes had more to do with people simply not sending them anything at that time, atleast thats what I remember hearing, could be wrong.

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ejc93

I think people tend to look at TNT with rose-tinted glasses. It could be really boring a lot of the time.

As for PAX, I don't mind it. I've never loved the official panels, but some of the extra ones they participate in are great (and I really wish PAX would get it together when it comes to streaming - it sucks that for stuff like the Jeff Q&A only the audio is available, and it looks like that'll be, at best, what we get for the production panel). And GDC this year would've been weird anyway, since the overlap means a bunch of people would be at PAX instead.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't made it through the whole podcast and might as well ask while we're on the subject, are they gonna be livestreaming the panel this time and if so what day/time?