Is it time for Giant Bomb to be a little more professional?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Poll Is it time for Giant Bomb to be a little more professional? (590 votes)

No, I like the whole "unprofessional" vibe. 86%
Yes, I'd like a more professional polish to things. 5%
Yes, but only in such areas as intros and / or studio spaces 8%

At this point, Giant Bomb has grown quite a lot since they first started out in 2008. It's not just 4 guys in a basement, but 7 people across two states, collectively owned by a giant corporation. I understand that doesn't mean they have access to more resources (money, etc), but I think the "we're just a couple of guys figuring out how this works" vibe is perhaps getting a little old?

Don't get me wrong, I like the casual environement they portray in the unprofessional fridays show. But it still feels like they're almost trying to go out of their way to be unprofessional. Such as recently when the show cold opens to Jeff or someone talking mid conversation. No intro, no explanation of what they're up to or who anyone is in the room. Why? Heck, even in the past they would at least give a normal open: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/whiskey-media-happy-hour-020411/2300-3765/

These guys are so talented, and have been doing it long enough that I would think they'd want to really push the polish level like I see Danny over at Game Spot doing. Obviously that site has a different audience/vibe and i'm not saying I want Giant Bomb to become something they are not - I just want them to add a little more polish to things that don't need to be "unprofessional" anymore.

• 
ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Nope, get your corporate cleanliness out of here.

We've hung around this long, no need to fix what's not broken

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

They should probably start looking up prices for games before quick-looks. Other than that, no. Noooooo. Though if we could get 'em all to wear a suit or a Tux sometime on UPF, I'd be way into that.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Serious energy drink discussion only.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, The feeling that it could all fly apart at any second is what makes Giant Bomb Giant Bomb.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5 MattyFTM  Moderator

They've just got a new purpose built studio that is actually enclosed and not just exposed in the middle of an office.

That's already about as much professionalism as I can take.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Typical Admin, being all seriousness and no fun.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For starters, I think it's a major stretch to call the cold "fade into a conversation" opening "unprofessional." It's a very deliberate tone-setter, and it's crazy effective (also see: Craig Ferguson). And strangers on the couch get their introduction eventually. I also think it's incredibly important to look back at the circumstances that formed Giant Bomb, namely the exodus of a whole bunch of people from a mid-2000s establishment games site that was, like the rest of industry, trying to make itself look and feel more like television in order to get some mass market appeal. Why in the hell would you want to leave that just to try to build something similar elsewhere?

Giant Bomb may have it's legitimate presentation snafus (platform and price, people!) but for the most part what you're seeing are deliberate choices that accent the people involved, which rightfully come before the demands of some capital-p Product.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Never.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

The only professionality I'd like of them is in the planning department. The sophomoric shenanigans add a whole lot of charm to the site that I think we've all grown to love. What we (or me personally) might not love is how a lot of their shows will debut and then we won't ever see them again or it will be months in between episodes. Ranking of Fighters seem to happen.. whenever they feel like it? Old game show is so infrequent that it's hard to actually call it a feature. Things will very often just pop up on the site last minute because either no one put them in the upcoming feed or they literally just decided on it. Those Brad May Cry episodes in the past had woefully long stretches of time in between them to the point where they all started with Brad having to re-acquaint himself with all the controls.

So yah, keep the same attitude and wacky shows - but keep to a schedule, or at least something resembling a schedule. In the very least be transparent about the timeframes. A simple "we are busy now, so we won't have time for ranking of fighters for at least another 3 weeks." It's a slight bummer that in order to get decent info on what is happening on the site you need to scrub through Jeff's Twitter and Tumblr page in hopes of finding some relevant info.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The casual nature of the site is exactly why I come to this site over any other video game focused website. That being said, they also still strike a good balance of professionalism and production value alongside that. Again, which is why I continue to visit this site and enjoy their content, but dislike the unprofessional nature of the average Youtuber or whatever.

They know where production and professionalism is important without overdoing it.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

You're kidding, right?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What. The mid-discussion cold opens are entirely intentional. Also the whole 'this stuff is being worked out' vibe they've had recently is because they have moved into a swanky new studio and are by necessity still working that stuff out.

Also it is somewhat insulting to call them unprofessional based on the Friday shows. They are meant to be loose enough to allow for fun. But even then people like Drew and Jason are working hard to keep it all going.

Plus all the work they are doing that isn't shown in a podcast or a video. All the emails and phone calls they need to do. The less entertaining work stuff. You make it sound like the old idea of them just going into work and having a fun time slacking and playing games.

And that's not to mention Rory and the guys even more behind the scenes and the moderators and engineers keeping this whole ship running!

I would say the team works pretty damn hard already.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like the cold opens for UPF, and I'm pretty sure they are intentional. I'd actually say it's one of the least unprofessional things about UPF.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of the devotion people have to the staff members actually comes from the relaxed vibe. I don't think people come here for polished, front-facing personas.They come here because it feels like you're just hanging out with your friends, shooting the shit, and playing some games. I think it would be detrimental to convert to a more uhhh "corporate friendly" approach now and I think Jeff and the rest of the staff knows this. It's just them doing them.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

This is... Nah, dawg.

If you want hyper-produced 5 minute chunks of video game coverage, you should consider checking out literally every other video game website owned by a megacorp.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. The reason I love the site is there attitude.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@humanity: Yuuuup, that about sums up my issue too.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want 1080p and a higher bitrate. Cleaner unprofessional ism.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By stonyman65

Unprofessional is what makes Giant Bomb what it is. If I wanted "professional" I'd just go to Gamespot or IGN. Giant Bomb is giving video games and video game topics the amount of seriousness they deserve.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@humanity said:

The only professionality I'd like of them is in the planning department. The sophomoric shenanigans add a whole lot of charm to the site that I think we've all grown to love. What we (or me personally) might not love is how a lot of their shows will debut and then we won't ever see them again or it will be months in between episodes. Ranking of Fighters seem to happen.. whenever they feel like it? Old game show is so infrequent that it's hard to actually call it a feature. Things will very often just pop up on the site last minute because either no one put them in the upcoming feed or they literally just decided on it. Those Brad May Cry episodes in the past had woefully long stretches of time in between them to the point where they all started with Brad having to re-acquaint himself with all the controls.

So yah, keep the same attitude and wacky shows - but keep to a schedule, or at least something resembling a schedule. In the very least be transparent about the timeframes. A simple "we are busy now, so we won't have time for ranking of fighters for at least another 3 weeks." It's a slight bummer that in order to get decent info on what is happening on the site you need to scrub through Jeff's Twitter and Tumblr page in hopes of finding some relevant info.

Kinda this. Aside from that no. Change nothing. I like cold opens and shows held together with duct tape. Too much great stuff has happened because of a lack of 'polish'.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I think there is room for some very specific styles of videos to be handled in a more professional fashion, and in particular I think there are some staff members (BRAD) who rarely put in the effort to actually understand a game before quick looking it. Old Giant Bomb also put together some awesome edited videos instead of just once a year for GoTY time, and I miss that stuff. So I guess I agree that they could be more professional, but your quibble with the intros is probably kind of idiosyncratic.

markem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it odd I don't find them unprofessional?

I mean sheesh - I applied on the wordpress: http://web.archive.org/web/20080309132138/http://www.giantbomb.com/

I find that the site IS professional, and pretty clean cut with how every single thing I see is up to a standard I really enjoy - I don't find something clean and shiney (AAA, if you will) to actually be worth my time. I still remember the first time (I bet it was an internern) turned the camera to the roof before ending the video blew my mind and has been a mainstay.

Besides this podcast where Rorie introduced himself (which is against the standard Ryan set when he was teaching Will Smith about how to make podcasts) is one of the few times I've noticed the standard not be hit.

I haven't had to think of these things before, huh..

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Just a bit of polish and a bit more order. Sorry, but Jeff, Brad, Dan, are too talented and Drew and Jason are way too good at their jobs to continue the way things have gone.

How does anyone leave GB to fulfill their 'next dream job' if their demo reel is just half-ass shenanigans? Everyone at GB is far, far to talented to produce such a off-the cuff product for all their segments.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesoutherndandy: Yeah they're unstable schedule of shows is kind of unacceptable when they advertise them as weekly shows.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just like some more content and more stable program slots

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Im here for their personalities and their banter. If they turn on the corporate speech and start applying makeup before shoots, im most likely out the door. So no i don't think they should pro it up. They are doing what they like to do, in their own way.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what i don't get is why there isn't a live show on tuesdays.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If be more professional means be more like Gamespot, then no thank you. A casual environment is a lot of what makes this site so appealing! It breaks my heart when people like Mary guest on Giant Bomb and are totally awesome, then you go over to Gamespot and see her doing one of those scripted 'read the news' videos. It just seems so stiff! Or Jeff Bakalar making one of those "click to see the next entry" slideshows. UGH! I'm getting bummed out just thinking about it!

No, I would not like that. Giant Bomb has always been about combining the awesome and genuine feel of a few duders in a basement with the insight and experience of being industry veterans. Take away one, it's Gamespot, take away the other and it's YouTube.

But when you put them together you get Giant Bomb, which is something special.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

The Giant Bomb I love does not need any more professionalism.

We already have Austin.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a joke. A jokey joke.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unprofessional Fridays always has a dumb cold open.

I like the fact that they have a better budget now, and it seems like a bunch of troublemakers were given access to expensive-ass equipment.

They've always been the "oh hi, I guess we're doing a show now" vibe and that's part of the flavor.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I need more reasoning for your idea that they lack professionalism. All live shows have a title as far as I'm aware.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I don't want to see people on a show discussing someone's review and all the issues that others have brought up. I don't want to hear them play nice to a publisher and be political correct about a game that they have no love for. I don't want to see them have a week long COD coverage when the next one comes out if they don't feel particularly interested in that installment.

I'm here for genuine fun between fun people who love videogames. I want to see them play games, enjoy or hate them, and drink beer while doing it.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Trilogy

Depends on what you mean by professionalism. People around here tend to get very nervous and react poorly when this sort of topic is brought up because they assume you mean, "be more like gamespot". Personally, I wouldn't mind new projects or series that were a change of pace from the norm of the website, but I think the core approach is what attracts a lot of us. Relaxed and unfiltered. It's the anti-television.

People tend to freak out when Vinny flexes his editing muscles (some bombcasts he hosted and that first Kerbal episode). Maybe a creative type like Vinny likes applying his skills to more than just adding bumpers at the start and end of 2 hour videos. I understand that people are afraid Giant bomb is going to turn into some wannabe TV show, or a youtube gaming channel, but I personally don't mind when the crew tries different things. That being said, I wouldn't want Giant bomb changing its core DNA.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love the art and music, the "real games journalism," feel of the early stuff. That's all I want to see return.

Remember the intro to TNT? That's what I want back.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, but I would like to see a little more edited content. 2 hours of gameplay is fine but I don't have time to watch more than one of those per week. Whenever there has been edited video on the site it always tends to be really good or at least different.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Cold opens have been GB's style from the beginning.

There are aspects I would agree with this idea on but not this one.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that Austin's job?

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

UPF is UPF. It's always been like that. There are no regular shows with more professional approach anymore for it to contrast with.

You can't ingore the fact that Ryan took his live show hosting very seriously. Him and Vinny really cared about making a tight, professional looking show. Take an ear-piece for example, something that Jeff was only wearing on the BLLSL.

When Jeff started UPF it brought this fresh laid back approach to a GB live show and it was awesome. I think it worked really well when it was put against TNT.

Without other regular live shows the balance is broken and some of the magic is gone.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats only for Wednesdays.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for them getting to stretch their production muscles here and there, but Giant Bomb is at its best when it feels like everything's in danger of going off the rails. They're the public access channel of game sites, and I mean that in the best possible way.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOUR... "RULES"!!!!!

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brads_beard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

are you saying that unprofessional fridays is TOO unprofessional? that it's not good that they don't introduce who is on the couch on the premium show, where premium members who pay for a subscription would know good & well who is on the couch?

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Get better at looking up prices pre-Quick Look (I actually don't even care, just the only thing I could think of) and pretty much nothing else.

The cold open at the start of UPF is kind of representative of why it's called "UNPROFESSIONAL Fridays", isn't it? They still do your regular intro for Quick Look EXs and so on; making UPF more polished and professional would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? As for the rest of the site, I can't really think of any area where professionalism and courtesy would help deliver their services better, so no. I know that sounds a lot like "let's not fix what isn't broken and risk getting into a rut", but I honestly don't see the problem. If one arises as a result of these practices, maybe I'd change my mind.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3rd option

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're very professionally unprofessional. Its what makes them different than other sites. So no